Editorial: Hits and Misses - Our take...

Editorial: Hits and Misses - Our take on the week in news

There are 12 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from May 23, 2009, titled Editorial: Hits and Misses - Our take on the week in news. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

The Silver Dollar Fair, which will draw more than 50,000 people this week, takes 12 months of planning for six days of action.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

juanita sumner

United States

#1 May 23, 2009

Mary Flynn needs to go in 2010, and Ann Schwab right behind her in 2012. Anybody who watches them sees them high on a power trip. Did you see the way Mary talks to Tom Nickel, just because he's got the gall to disagree with her? She seems to think she, and not Nickel, is our vice mayor. She acts like she owns city hall. And that speech Ann Schwab made to the disc crowd was nothing short of a threat - after she dumped our legal referendum, she threatens to bring back one of her own. Then she accuses the disc golfers of disrupting our wonderful community - get out!

Our elections are sad. Only a small proportion of the public votes in council elections - it takes less than 10 percent of the population to elect these people. If we could get more people educated on the true issues, like what's really going on with the budget, I think more would turn out and we'd get more balance on the dais. Until we get more people involved, we'll keep seeing the kind of hilarity we saw on May 19.
Born In Chico

Sacramento, CA

#2 May 23, 2009
I am disappointed that Larry Wahl is the ONLY Council Member that has consistantly kept the overall financial interest first when he votes with exception of the Libraries. Libraries are the ONLY access to a computer many unemployed have. Libraries is the only place many people have to a cool relaxing place to access computers & reading materials. It is the hub for our city's population of ALL AGES.

I never thought I'd be lining myself with the conserviatives in this city. BUT THEY WERE RIGHT! The environmentalist have NO INTEREST in the City's Budget when they threaten to SUE and DO SUE over minor disagreements. The WHOLE populace is involved when the FOBP continue to disrupt forward motions on plans regarding the Park and the actual money available.

Yes the environment is IMPORTANT but where does the environment go when the city is BROKE! and no longer has the employees available to enforce rules.

Council Members NEED to have an understanding of the FULL PICTURE of the city's needs. Special Interest groups are important as watchdogs BUT Chico must also have the Council Members as overseers to keep all interests balanced.

This council is a good example of narrow minded self intrests group talking heads dumping the good of all the people for the interests of a few. Notice I'm including ALL of the Special Interest Groups...
Fred

Georgetown, CA

#3 May 23, 2009
Born In Chico wrote:
...Council Members NEED to have an understanding of the FULL PICTURE of the city's needs....
Instead, we elect those with the smallest understanding of the full picture.

But, as long as they regurgitate the lines from the loud left and the employee unions, that is who will get elected.
Fred C

Orland, CA

#4 May 23, 2009
So the budget crisis is on the mend, lagislators will "live within our Means," and their salaries are cut. Now that is what I call a crock! You are talking a drop in the bucket, and once again misleading your readers.

P.S. For anyone who might care, I used to use the name "fred", but since there is a new one on the block, I am adding C.
TSQ

Colfax, CA

#5 May 23, 2009
Fred C wrote:
So the budget crisis is on the mend, lagislators will "live within our Means,"...
Whether intentional or not, I think you just coined a new and hilarious term in "lagislators." Nice work!
Fred C

Orland, CA

#6 May 23, 2009
Thanks, it was unintentional, but I like it!
Born In Chico

Sacramento, CA

#7 May 24, 2009
Fred C wrote:
Thanks, it was unintentional, but I like it!
"lagislators." Nice Freudian slip...
Vern

AOL

#8 May 24, 2009
I think it'll catch on
Hey Vern

United States

#9 May 24, 2009
Fred wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead, we elect those with the smallest understanding of the full picture.
But, as long as they regurgitate the lines from the loud left and the employee unions, that is who will get elected.
You do know what Plato said about the longevity of Democracy and why? Looks like once again, he was correct.
Vern

AOL

#10 May 24, 2009
Hey Vern wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know what Plato said about the longevity of Democracy and why? Looks like once again, he was correct.
Wow! and to think all these
years I didnt know Micky Mouse's dog could talk.
Born In Chico

Sacramento, CA

#11 May 25, 2009
Vern... you are funny.... ha ha ha ha ha Why does Goofy walk on two legs and Pluto have to walk on all four when they are both dogs? Just wondering.
Vern

Yuba City, CA

#12 May 25, 2009
Born In Chico wrote:
Vern... you are funny.... ha ha ha ha ha Why does Goofy walk on two legs and Pluto have to walk on all four when they are both dogs? Just wondering.
One of those mysteries in life Walt Disney took with him

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Sacramento sucks more than: (Jan '09) Jan 29 Spartan45 122
Judge Francis A. Kearney / Placer County Judici... (Jan '13) Jan 27 Fathers4Justice 28
placer County courts & the corruption continues (Apr '16) Jan 23 Jack 16
Anybody know Leilani Herr. Jan 20 Dave 1
News Home Front: Loan prepayment penalty angers borr... (Jul '08) Jan '18 Blueyss 2
Urgent Carr Clinics Jan '18 Ronnie 1
Need to know Jan '18 silly billy 2

Granite Bay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Granite Bay Mortgages