These church visitors respond when welcomed with gifts

Full story: The Morning Call

With an average age of 881/2, the four women bustling in a flower-filled church room early on a Monday morning say they are too old to garden anymore.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Apr 8, 2011
Church Member

Coplay, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2008

Our church treats visitors with the utmost care and respect. It's a shame that churches feel like they have to "bribe" people with small tokens. We should be more concerned with winning souls---not just attracting people to fill the rolls. If anyone who reads this is looking for a good Baptist church with Bible preaching look us up on lvbaptist.org . God Bless You
Carbon County

Lansford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Church Member wrote:
Our church treats visitors with the utmost care and respect. It's a shame that churches feel like they have to "bribe" people with small tokens. We should be more concerned with winning souls---not just attracting people to fill the rolls. If anyone who reads this is looking for a good Baptist church with Bible preaching look us up on lvbaptist.org . God Bless You
I do not think that they are using bribery. I think it's nice that they are recognizing visitors. Many churches today fail to acknowledge visitors and some of the church folk are arrogant and snobby and won't even say Hello to a visitor. One of the biggest bribery churches I ever saw was the Baptist church down in Sellersville, that enticed young children, to get them to come to church by feeding them ice cream sundaes and candy. Then week after week they told the children that they were sinners and going to H E L L. Shame on you for plugging your church. If people want to go to church they will.
lissy07

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

It is nice to decorate you church that can look nice. you done need to bribery visitors. when you go to church is because you want to find Jesus in you heart the decoration is not you salvation. You salvation is Jesus who died for you in the cross.Not the decoration this is my opinion.
J from PA

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2008

Church Member wrote:
The church I attend treats our visitors with the utmost care and respect as well, but we do give them a pen with the church's name, address and phone number on them and a small pocket bible. It's not bribery, but a small something to show that they are appreciated and loved, something that many don't feel today. We have different ways we connect with our newcomers as well. And I agree with Carbon County, this is not the forum to put a plug in for your church. You don't want the reputation of sheep stealer. If you want to put in a plug for your church, take out an ad in a newspaper.
God Loves His Children

Coplay, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

Carbon County wrote:
<quoted text>I do not think that they are using bribery. I think it's nice that they are recognizing visitors. Many churches today fail to acknowledge visitors and some of the church folk are arrogant and snobby and won't even say Hello to a visitor. One of the biggest bribery churches I ever saw was the Baptist church down in Sellersville, that enticed young children, to get them to come to church by feeding them ice cream sundaes and candy. Then week after week they told the children that they were sinners and going to H E L L. Shame on you for plugging your church. If people want to go to church they will.
It's a shame that one Baptist church is the example for all. They are NOT all like that. Sorry you were offended. Also children are protected by God and will go to heaven. When they are old enough to decide to follow HIM then their destination will be determined. Thanks for you comment.
God Loves His Children

Coplay, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

J from PA wrote:
<quoted text>
The church I attend treats our visitors with the utmost care and respect as well, but we do give them a pen with the church's name, address and phone number on them and a small pocket bible. It's not bribery, but a small something to show that they are appreciated and loved, something that many don't feel today. We have different ways we connect with our newcomers as well. And I agree with Carbon County, this is not the forum to put a plug in for your church. You don't want the reputation of sheep stealer. If you want to put in a plug for your church, take out an ad in a newspaper.
I'm sorry you were offended. I consider myself very lucky to have found my church because if I hadn't, my destination wouldv'e been Hell. I thank you for your comment.
God Loves His Children

Coplay, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

Also I don't feel that giving a pen with the church's name on is bribery. I applaud your church with giving bibles to visitors. It could be the first one they ever had. I'm hoping is the KJV. There are many types of bibles that are not real
People matter to God

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

We must do ALL we can to WIN the lost . . . our enemies discouragement is more than the the meagre welcoming strategies we got. 'Strike while the iron is hot' ~ 'make hay while the sun shines' I say; for just now it will too late.

Since: Mar 08

Coplay, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

Judged:

People matter to God wrote:
We must do ALL we can to WIN the lost ... our enemies discouragement is more than the the meagre welcoming strategies we got.'Strike while the iron is hot'~'make hay while the sun shines' I say; for just now it will too late.
Are you a missionary? I agree with what you say. Our purpose on this Earth is to save souls.
AngeleAlAahnaAn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

Greeting, I been trying to tell People This"Our Purpise to to bring God into people's live For Others To Know God and To try and Save their Souls, So many churches are trying to get members by prizes, I feel if I person wants to go to church they would without any bribe... http://www.blogofhope.org
insert name-here-

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

people, people, people...i hope a lost person never finds some these comments...there's some off the wall stuff here...1.) there is NOTHING wrong with giving your visitors a little 'token' to remember your church by. just don't turn it into a 'bribe' or 'salvation'...here's the bottom line: lost people DO NOT WANT TO GO TO CHURCH. why would they? but when you do get them there (thru outreach, etc), offering them something small (Bible, pen, etc) to help remember where/when they heard the Word of God (hopefully) is NO BIG DEAL...it also gives them a quick reference point to contact the church if they need to...i could say a lot more, but won't.
2) also, easy on the KJV being the greatest. it was a translation (by men) too you know...a lot of times we let our preference get in the way of what's real. there are a few translations you MIGHT need to be a little wary of, but my God will get His word translated...He's big enough
Katie

Enfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2009

Judged:

I visited a Church in Kansas City and was so warmed by a small gift of a hand made needlepoint top on a jar filled with candy. I was not going to be able to come back there unless I visited my relatives again and they probably knew that. It is a Church filled with "givers" who love to give tokens of love in their own way. It made a lasting impression on me, as well as the Word based preaching. We need to be all about Love. Jesus used to feed and heal (as he does today)people and make them feel loved and cared about. Just do what the Holy Spirit leads you to do, hugs, gifts, love, and show them what a difference Jesus makes in a life.
Christy

Toccoa, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2010

lissy07 wrote:
It is nice to decorate you church that can look nice. you done need to bribery visitors. when you go to church is because you want to find Jesus in you heart the decoration is not you salvation. You salvation is Jesus who died for you in the cross.Not the decoration this is my opinion.
I do not agree I thimk if you regonize the visitors weather it be with a pen, homemade bread or what ever it truely shows you knew they were there and appreciate them visiting, not bribeing
Christy

Toccoa, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2010

I do not agree. I think if you regonize the visitors weather it be a pen, homemade bread or what ever you are showing that you knew they were there and appreciate them visiting your church.
Promise Ogbonna

Abuja, Nigeria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2011

THere is an adeage that says that first impression matters. we can appreciate first timers by looking and offerig friendly service to them. Word such as " thanks for worshiping with us" can go along way to touch their lives. Gifts can create long lasting love impression on them

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Granger Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Granger People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••