College football roundup: Ohio State ...

College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

There are 2625 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Aug 30, 2013, titled College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#328 Dec 4, 2013
I was watching Flyers at Redwings, just before this....I saw Russell Wilson at Wisconsin and thought there was something special...more mature and focused.....tonight is quiet for us....we are both online now....our only show on Wednesday is Modern Family at 9.....i was trying to tell her that, My Darling Clementine...with Henry Fonda, was a classic, to no avail...lol...Tomlin deserved the fine, because it directly effected the play, and might have eventually effected the outcome...i am with the NFL on this call....besides, he knew damn well, what he was doing....did you see the smirk?....lol....

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#329 Dec 5, 2013
I am not debating the fine, because it didn't affect the play to the point of changing the outcome, I thought the NFL would go lightly on him...I always felt it was wrong to have 50 people standing within a foot of the field during play isn't so bright. They should keep everyone a couple feet back...And the dumb part...he didn't do it so he would have a better view of the field but so he would have a better view of the scoreboard...
Sabers are playing tonight...Nolan says that he wants to try to re-sign Miller...If Miller has no intention of staying he needs to tell Nolan to refrain from that talk.
I gotta side with your wife on that...It wouldn't be in my top 25 movies of all time...
That could be a fun list to compile...A couple off the top of my head...'Africa Queen' with Bogart and Hepburn...Dr. Strangelove...Gone with the wind...Dr. Zhivago'...
Back is killing me again scheduled an epidural for the 17th...The relief lasts a couple months max...just masking the pain..

Location hidden

#330 Dec 5, 2013
Dr. Strangelove?.....Fail Safe, maybe....lol....Tomlin knew exactly what he was doing, are you kidding? Have you seen the smile video?.....The NFL want's to make a statement that won't be lost on any coaches in the future.....Sorry about your back pain, isn't there any safe pain medication available?....I feel lucky, that i don't have anything real bad, like that....I do need to explore laser eye work on my right eye, as it's nearly useless.....If you ever want to see some of the finest film ever....look up the movies of 1939.....lol....you won't believe how many great films....

Buffalo, NY

#331 Dec 5, 2013
Dr. Strangelove was an all time great...The sight of Slim Pickens riding the bomb down was priceless....My bet is if when both wrote up a list of our top 25 films of all time, there would be very few that were filmed after 2000...You could be right about 1939... Now the directors rely on special effects so much the story suffers...How about the next 5 off the top of my head...'Cool hand luke'...The good, the bad and the ugly'...'The little dictator'...Jaws...The Godfather...
I take large doses of Gabapenten, it slows down nerve impulses, It helps reduce consumption of Loritab and Flexeral...But every once in a while i will tweek the back and will need the steriods and whatever numbing agent they put in those needles...
You have probibly seen the news that Nelson Mandela has passed on....

Location hidden

#332 Dec 6, 2013
Casablanca...Hunchback Of Notre Dame(Charles Laughton version)...Lawrence Of Arabia....Grapes Of Wrath...The Best Years Of Our Life....Sorry, but that is a cinemagraphically serious 1-5.....lol....notice, i missed, Animal House....lol....Watched some of Teddy Bridgewater last night....he made a miracle pass, where he was falling down and lofted it to the back corner of the endzone...amazing....Glad they dropped anything againest Winston at FSU, as he deserves the Heismann.....Showed my wife your post, as she works in a pharmacy and understands the seriousness of those medications....Worked with a guy that took oxy....that is some badass drug....

Buffalo, NY

#334 Dec 7, 2013
Did you see any of Bowling Green vNorthern Illinois? BGSU kicked butt...
Domination. BGSU winning cost the MAC $8 m...and an additional bowl slot...
Mack won the Jack Lambert trophy for linebackers...
The Pinstripe bowl announced that Notre Dame had accepted a bid, The article said they were expecting an ACC team, Syracuse or Pittsburg?...The Irish are ducking Buffalo...lol?
But that is one less bowl that might accept Buffalo...
in the NFL...
Dog could be Cleveland @ New England....should be a 14+ point win by the Pats
Best suprise game Detroit @ Philadelphia

A couple move movie choices...
'Days of wine and roses'
'On golden pond'
"The Roadie" staring meatloaf and Art Carney...not a great movie...but it begs the question...Why did Art Carney fire his manager?...

Location hidden

#335 Dec 7, 2013
Saw some of the Northern Illinois loss....i kept waiting for them to come back, but not againest that defense....That is cool about Khalid Mack winning the award...like to see him on the Bears or Dolphins...lol...My best surprise game is Dolphins at Steelers.....agree on dog game, but it could also be, anyteam playing Houston Texans...whatta flop, eh? Cost Kubiak his job, too.....As to movies....agree on Days Of Wine And Roses....is it just me, or was Lee Remick alway's a hottie?...lol...if you can ever find it....Bedtime Story...with Marlon Brando and David Niven....fantastic comedy about highend grifters....remade with Steve Martin and Micheal Caine, tho not as good.....Brando also directed and starred in, One-Eyed Jacks....a western with Karl Maldin, about treachery amoung bandits....If you like Slim Pickens...he is great in this film as the sadistic deputy jailer, who Brando eventually gets even with...an incredibly underrated film.....

Buffalo, NY

#336 Dec 7, 2013
No it is not just you...Lee Remick is a certified hottie...That agreed upon...take my word on this...You MUST see 'anatony of a murder'...Jimmy Stewart is a defense laywer enjoying the job of getting an obviously guilty man (Ben Gazara) off for murdering a man who had flirted with(or raped...defense claims) Gazara's slutty wife...Lee Remick...
Enjoy...
Slim Pickens is a great charachter actor...Have seen One eyed Jacks... Good film but in the top 25?..how about these Brando films as top 25 material.."The Wild one'...'On the waterfront'...Apocalypse now'
Brando is one of the best...
If Mack goes to the Patriots, Jets or Dolphins i will gag..lucky for me the Patriots will be picking late in the first round...The Jets are so bad on offense that they would be nuts to go with a linebacker..That leaves the fish to worry about...and they are weak at LB..aren't they?
Why fire Kubiak now? It seems to me that they could have waited till after the season...It seems cold..the guy just had a stroke....

Location hidden

#337 Dec 7, 2013
Top 25? How'd you get there?.....On the Waterfront, Streetcar named Desire and Goodfather were Brando's best that come to mind...i mentioned One Eyed Jacks, because that was his film....he produced, directed and starred in.....Like Kirk Douglass with Spartacus.....Bears need help in the middle LB....shoulda kept Urlacher....Khalid Mack is an outside LB or possibly DE......I alway's remember Slim Pickens, also at the end of, The Getaway...with Steve McQueen....where him and Ali McGraw give him $15,000 for his $500 pickup...so they can drive into Mexico......Here is a curveball....If Auburn loses to Missouri and Michigan State beats OSU.....would FSU-Alabama be the big one again?.....

Buffalo, NY

#338 Dec 7, 2013
If you about 6 exchanges ago I said...a top 25 would be a interesting list to compile...
..."I gotta side with your wife on that...It wouldn't be in my top 25 movies of all time...
That could be a fun list to compile...A couple off the top of my head...'Africa Queen..."'

Kirk Douglas was great in Sparticus...Tony Curtis played a solid supporting role..
We have similar tastes in movies...We both like some of the same actors like Marlon Brando and Lee Remick.
Some other thing we haven't mentioned a single Sci-Fi and only a couple of humorous movies..
What do you think of Jack Nicholson...Loved him in One flew over the Cuckoo Cuckoo's nest"...Very good in "a few good men" and i loved him in a support role in "Easy Rider"
If that scenario unfoldedIt would be FSU for sure but the opponent could be any one of a number of teams...Alabama, Missouri, Even Baylor
That idea would be the best case for a 8 team playoff

Location hidden

#339 Dec 8, 2013
Well Bull....what an incredible Big 10 Championship....The witch(OSU) is dead....lol...Great win for Auburn too, that first 3 quarters...Now, i see Florida State winning it all......Winston deserves the Heisman, am not sure anyone else is close, eh?.......One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was Nicholson's best, and i also like him in Five Easy Pieces and The Shining.....Joe, next door went to see, Nebraska with Bruce Dern....another great character actor....I still think, Charles Laughton's Quasimoto, in 1939's Hunchback of Notre Dame is the best actor performance ever....1939 is the year.....Daniel Day Lewis's Lincoln was another great plateau in acting.....In Sci-Fi, i liked Avatar and Bladerunner.....

Location hidden

#340 Dec 8, 2013
BTW, another great Top 25 film...Best Years Of Our Life....with Frederic March and Myrna Loy.....had Hoagie Carmichael in it.....we saw him in Hollywood, walking down the sidewalk, while we were on vacation when i was like 13...lol....also had a disabled war vet, that had never acted and won an Oscar.....great performances, all around......Sorry, i took a Cinema course in College...so i get wound up...lol...

Buffalo, NY

#341 Dec 8, 2013
That was an entertaining set of Conf championships...Assuming Auburn is the 2nd in the championship game Florida State is the favorite based on the obvious fact the Auburn is a tad weak on defense...But with that kind of a ground attack it should be good...I want to applaud the restraint of the Missouri players..after that #19 White from Auburn cheapshot Josey that blatantly restraint wouldn't have been on my mind...
If there was a 4 team playoff in effect who would have you had in #3 & #4....
Myself Baylor and Alabama it would have been hard to leave out michigan State and Stanford
What we need is and 8 team system...Div Iaa FCS plays a 16 team system, Play the first round on Christmas the second round on New Years and the final round the week after

Location hidden

#342 Dec 8, 2013
#3 Alabama....#4 Stanford or OSU....Next year it is 4 team, correct?.....Hey, did you see the FSU game, where someone in the stands was pointing a laser pointer into Winston's eyes....and the referee announced for security to find them in section 243?.....Never saw that before....Gotta go, wife want's Pina Coloddas for lunch...which may wreck my nap....lol....

Buffalo, NY

#343 Dec 8, 2013
If you can't carry on about the things that you like ..A Cinema class...A nice easy elective course for you in college...It's nice to be graded on something it takes little effort to get in to...
When I hear the name Fredric March i can't help but to think of Inherit the wind. Which is a strong film..On a great American social conflict...It is amazing how many people want to re-try the case.
I agree wholeheartedly that Lincoln will be a film that a couple of schmucks 100 years from now will be talking about being an all time classic
I have a feeling that those same guys will be chirping about Invictus and Letters from Iwo Jima making Clint Eastwood one of this era's best directors
michael m

Loveland, OH

#344 Dec 8, 2013
Congrats michigan state spartens! Way to go! finally a big ten team stood up to the suckeys and beat their ass! The suckeys have played too many cupcakes the last couple of years and when they finally played a highly ranked team, they got beat!!!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

#345 Dec 9, 2013
Actually, i took college prep courses like, Ancient and Medieval Asian History, in High school....Cinema was no cake walk...lol....Inherit The Wind is a fantastic film....it's said that worked stopped in the whole studio, because everyone wanted to see March and Spencer Tracy's scenes together....I have never seen Invictus, is it good?....i love watching Rugby too.....Vikings-Ravens was a classic....5 TD's in 2:01.....Browns-Patriots was a great game, also.....After all that, now the Buckeyes are scheduled in the Orange Bowl...Right in my lap....lol....Hope Michigan gets a bowl game....it could be the broken down, but spirited bowl.....Vicks Inhaler Bowl in Hawaii.....

Buffalo, NY

#346 Dec 9, 2013
It may not be the Inhaler bowl ..like you were hoping...You get the Insomnia bowl...starts at 10:30pm...The Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl...v. Kansas St...@Pheonix...
We get San Diego State in the Famous Potato Bowl....@Boise...There are a lot of potato's in Idaho...Which one is the famous one?...I can't think of a single famous potato...lol
Makes me glad that there isn't a bowl bankrolled by a company that makes plumbing fixtures...
The Bills were awful...elsewise i missed football yesterday.
There aren't very many truely good sports movies..Raging Bull...Maybe Requiem for a Heavywieght...The story surrounding the South African Team was told very well. The action shots were exceptional. There wasn't a sacchrine exploding light tower ala The Natural..I would give it an 'A'..Damon physically fit the role of a rugby star...there are sad sports movies where the man doesn't fit the role, Warren Beatty as a Rams QB?
Woody

Jenison, MI

#347 Dec 9, 2013
I was glad to see the Spartans of MSU knock off the Buckeyes thus ending the Urban Meyer invincibility aura and eliminate them from National Championship contention. The Spartan Nation then re-asserted their second class state citizenship and burned down their own campus. Kind of like wetting your own bed and having to sleep in it. State will probably lose in the Rose Bowl but at least they got there.

Buffalo, NY

#348 Dec 9, 2013
Woody wrote:
I was glad to see the Spartans of MSU knock off the Buckeyes thus ending the Urban Meyer invincibility aura and eliminate them from National Championship contention. The Spartan Nation then re-asserted their second class state citizenship and burned down their own campus. Kind of like wetting your own bed and having to sleep in it. State will probably lose in the Rose Bowl but at least they got there.
I think everyone out side of Columbus Ohio and Urban Meyer's family were happy to see that result...
It always amazes me no matter how big my team wins I have never felt the urge to burn anything...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grandville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Trump is running for prez 5 hr RushFan666 7
Days of Yore Thu Joe Schlitzpack 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Thu Irememberwhen 1,080
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Thu Sharon Sharealike 12
Local News Women (Apr '09) Thu American Dairyman 2,671
News a Very conservativea platform, Pence VP pick me... Jul 25 DR X 29
News Kyleigh Miles threatened to blow up Michigan hi... May '16 good grief anyhow 4

Grandville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grandville Mortgages