Missouri child-support law change tou...

Missouri child-support law change touches many issues

There are 4296 comments on the Kansas City Star story from Sep 8, 2007, titled Missouri child-support law change touches many issues. In it, Kansas City Star reports that:

“This is not in the best interest of Missouri's children”

Children, according to popular notion, don't buy Johnnie Walker Red or engage enemy combatants in Iraq.

So why should parents be required to pay child support for someone old enough to do either?

A Missouri lawmaker from Belton doesn't think they should. Rep. Brian Baker pushed for change, and last week a new state law dropped the maximum age for child support from 22 to 21. It also set new academic standards for students whose parents receive child support.

Baker, a Republican, had wanted the limit to fall to 18, because that is when people first can vote. It is also the age at which most states, including Kansas, draw the line for child support. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas City Star.

Uncle Sam

El Paso, TX

#4334 Aug 31, 2012
Brother... They tell me child birth is difficult, and I believe it, having been in the military and placed in situations to have had to assist in three emergency deliveries.

But I think after that, it's smooth sailing for the women, I mean, they have a man, who they have twisted around thier fingers, an open wallet.

Get used to bending over, keep plenty of lube handy and expect to get Dry Fu&ked on a regular basis.

My child is now almost 22 and I am still paying Child support because while the judge did sign the papers, the clerk can't figure out where to send the papers to stop the garnishment, and they tell me that I can not give them the address that my employer must, and the subcontractor for my former employer,(I am retired) will not accept a faxed or mailed copy of the stop order form me.

Meanwhile.... The judge told me that, until this can be resolved, I will keep paying and if the child wants to give the money back, she can, but is not required to.

Got to love Judge Rodgers.... She has been the best phallus a man could ever hope to have. She is such a pain in the ass.

Good luck... Keep eating beans, and use the food banks...

Since: Jan 11

United States

#4335 Sep 14, 2012
mother wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you I receive child support and the father was only order to pay $100 dollars monthly, that like a slap in the face, on top of he didn't even attempt to know her en-tell she was 7 yrs old and the court system gave him half custody with no back child support, and he can barley make the 100 dollar payment, so I think they should pay longer, especially if the child plans on attending collage.
untill, college...

United States

#4336 Sep 14, 2012
Uncle Sam wrote:
Well, my Adult child is now 21 and 6 months old. Child enforcement was told by the judge to stop collecting from my paycheck.
I have no back (late) arrears.
yet again this month,(i get paid monthly) out comes $1626.00 dollars for child support and payroll told me this morning, they are taking it out next month as well, as they never got the letter from who ever in the government to stop payment.
So the Fuc*ing continues...
thats criminal!!!

United States

#4337 Sep 14, 2012
Uncle Sam wrote:
Brother... They tell me child birth is difficult, and I believe it, having been in the military and placed in situations to have had to assist in three emergency deliveries.

But I think after that, it's smooth sailing for the women, I mean, they have a man, who they have twisted around thier fingers, an open wallet.

Get used to bending over, keep plenty of lube handy and expect to get Dry Fu&ked on a regular basis.

My child is now almost 22 and I am still paying Child support because while the judge did sign the papers, the clerk can't figure out where to send the papers to stop the garnishment, and they tell me that I can not give them the address that my employer must, and the subcontractor for my former employer,(I am retired) will not accept a faxed or mailed copy of the stop order form me.

Meanwhile.... The judge told me that, until this can be resolved, I will keep paying and if the child wants to give the money back, she can, but is not required to.

Got to love Judge Rodgers.... She has been the best phallus a man could ever hope to have. She is such a pain in the ass.

i dont think its ever easy having kids...but i also think that you dont use your situation to punish another when it comes to custody. 22 is a bit old for child support. i had a job and was living on my own at 22. i think if u want to give your daughter money that should be up to you.
mike

Chicago, IL

#4338 Sep 27, 2012
Uncle Sam wrote:
this is just plain wicked!!!!! at this point it should be your option, not mandated!... I've called DFS every month on my situation, my child is 20 and will be 21 in January... They told me that the child will be emanicipated at that point and I no longer have to provide child support... I swear I wish I could get that in writing!... until then, I have to play the waiting game... My court order dont have any stipulations in it requiring payment after my childs 21st BD...
Long Story For You

Saint Louis, MO

#4339 Oct 24, 2012
I live in Manchester, MO. I served in the US Navy, as an Engineman (EN) from Aug 1998 to Jan 2006. My last command served was from June 2005 to Jan 2006, in Pascagoula, MS Naval Complex in the S.I.M.A. Pump and Valve Shop. What I am writing about, is a struggle I have had because I was in the military, and feel that to this day has never been addressed for past, present, and future military members here in Missouri.
It all began back in Jan 2003, when I was switching duty station. I was leaving the USS Wasp (LHD-1), in Norfolk, VA, going to the USS Germantown (LSD-42), but not before going to Great Lakes, IL to attend EN "C" School 4366. During this time, I was separating from my wife of 7 years. As you all know... Military life and their personal life don't always end up seeing eye to eye, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
What confused me was the court system here in St. Louis, MO. How they, in a lack of a better term, don't work with military members. See, while going through my divorce. I was set a specific date to appear for court. I took special leave, and flew from San Diego, CA to St. Louis, MO just to find out that they continued it for the second time, to give my soon to be ex time to get a lawyer. I wasn't until Jan 2005 that we finally were able to be in court for our divorce, and were thing became, once again for a lack of a better word, unjust for me. While going through the divorce, my military pay came up. I explained to the Judge McGee that the only part of my military pay that stays the same, was my "base pay". The "sea pay" housing/dependent pay" "separations pay" "hazard pay", and so on, comes and goes. At the time of my divorce, I was getting back from a West Pac six month deployment, so I had all of these different pays on my check. I informed the courts that all of this was going away due to many reasons. First, I had new orders to report to S.I.M.A. for shore duty in Pascagoula, MS. Because of this, I would no longer receive "sea pay" or "hazard pay". Second, I am getting a divorce, and because of that... I would no longer receive "housing/dependent pay" or "separations pay". June 2005, I will simply receive my "base pay", of $2,205.30, and nothing more.
Long Story For You

Saint Louis, MO

#4340 Oct 24, 2012
I was told by Judge McKee, that when I switch duty station, to inform child support, and they would adjust my support amount, and for now... She is going to go off my present pay. This is also after her seeing a copy of my new orders, given to her by my lawyer. The outcome of it all was I was ordered to pay $1,005.00 a month for child support, as well as her car payment of $345.00, for a grand total of $1,355.00 a month. When I asked why I had to pay so much child support, and her car payment. It was simply put to me that she is homeless with my kids, and has no job. The car is for transportation for the kids. This decision made would leave me with $850.30 a month for me to live off of. That is when I was informed that I could simply stay and eat on base, until it was worked out.

So now, lets fast forward to 22nd June of 2005. What a month it was too. The order came into effect of April 2005, and was given to me on May 2005, while I was on leave. For those who have never served before. This means, when I report to my next command in June being divorced, when I left my last command married. This means, I have to pay back Uncle Sam the extra pay given to me for April, May, June, and depending on when my paper work goes through... Possible part of July too. So that $850.00 a month left for me to survive on.... That is now going to Uncle Sam. Now, the worse part of it all was that the new command I was going too was not only shutting down, but had no B.E.Q.'s or base galleys for me to eat at. This means I have to secure a place to live, and provide food too. There goes that stay and eat on base idea, as suggested by the courts.

Aug 2005 comes, and shows my new pay, which was drastically lower than before. I call up to the child support office in Missouri to inform them of the change in pay, as told to me by Judge McKee, and I was informed that there was nothing that they could do for me since I judgement was so new. I would have to wait three years from the date of the judgement before I could request a pay change. So now I am going back and forth with child support to get this resolved, when Katrina hits the Gulf Shore area. This forces me to leave my child support situation on the back burner while dealing with the aftermath of that. The blessing of Katrina though was that I no longer had to worry about were I was going to live, or how I was going to eat. I was able to get some assistance to get by on.

During the aftermath of Katrina from Aug 2005 to Jan 2006, the whole base was extremely busy. You had everyone taking care of their own homes that were destroy by the hurricane, P.R.T. coming up, being assigned to different areas of Mississippi to help out those affected, and looking for new duty stations since the bases Naval side was already being shut down. During this time too for me, I was getting calls from my mother. She was letting me know that Deborah, my ex, was not getting our oldest child to school, and was being reported to social services. All of this started to become to much for me. I had become homeless, hungry, and still having to maintain for my sons, and felt it was better for me to get out of the military to do so. Now instead of getting out honorably in 2008, I was taking an other than honorable to get out in 2006.

Once I was out of the Navy in Jan 2006, I returned home to find out that none of the schools and training I had in the military applied into the civilian world. I ended up taking a job at Sears Automotive, located at Northwest Plaza in St. Ann, MO, for $5.50 an hour + commissions. I was working about 30 to 32 hours a week, and only making approximately $115.00 to $121.00 a week, after taxes. This of course only adds up to $460.00 to $484.00 a month, which is a far cry to the $1,005.00 a month I am order to pay in child support, and $345.00 a month for Deborah's car. In fact, I am -$895.00 to -$871.00 each month, if I give 100% of my pay to this court order.
Long Story For You

Saint Louis, MO

#4341 Oct 24, 2012
Now, during the 2006 time frame. Deborah was kicked out of her mothers house, and my boys came to live with me from April 2006 to Nov 2006. My oldest was attending Claymount Elementary in Ballwin, MO at the time, I was living in Richmond Heights, and working in St. Ann. Of course, this caused a big problem in so many ways. Having to drive from Richmond Heights to Ballwin, Ballwin to St. Ann, St. Ann to Ballwin, Ballwin back to St. Ann, and finally St. Ann back home to Richmond Heights. Luckily for me, school was ending in June, so I would get a long enough break to find a job that was better paying or closer to my kid's school. For me, it was finding a job closer to my kid's school, which was great because my youngest was now starting kindergarten, and that only went half days. With this, I took a job at Jiffy Lube in Ellisville/Balwin, MO making $5.50 an hour.

Nov 2006, the boys would go back to their mother, continue to miss countless days of school, move from house to house, and school to school. while I make calls after calls to get child support to work with me, along with the state of Missouri. This wouldn't happen until June of 2009, 4 years from the date of from when I first contacted them. In this four years, the reasons I was told that my child support could not change was because the judgement was to new. Then it was because I voluntarily got out of the military, and took a less paying job in the civilian world. Even though I got out to take care of my kids, that had been technically homeless, and were needing me more than my country. So back to June. I had been submitting paper work after paper work that was asked of me by child support for 4 years, and they finally set a court date for modification of my child support. They reduced my child support from $1,005.00 to $295.00, but did nothing for me about the past years before that. When I asked about the past years. I was told by Judge McGee, and the lawyer representing the child support case, that they are just looking at now, and not then.

Now, here we are in 2012. I am approximately $20,000.00 + behind on my child support due to having to pay $12,060.00 a year in child support that I could not pay for that 4 years. My 16 year old, soon to be 17 in May 2013 is repeating the 9th grade. If all goes well, he may have a chance to graduate high school by the time he is 21. All while I watch my ex get government assistance for housing, food, clothes, transportation, and so on. While getting her past and present child support, and have 5 adults [All under the age of 36] and 4 kids living in the 3 bedroom house provided by the government, and my tax dollars. All while I lose my license 3 days after child support receives approximately $5,000.00, not $500.00, from my income taxes for 2011. Plus $102.12 a week from me traveling state to state for work as an Ironworker.
Annoyed

Ozark, MO

#4343 Nov 14, 2012
It continues... after my husband's oldest finally turning 21 we filed for a modification. It seems only reasonable that if you have been paying cs for 15 years and one child emancipates then we should be able to file and have the amount reduced, especially since his income has went down since the last modification and custodial parents has went up (she is a govt worker so her salary is public). Nope not here in Missouri. He was sent a letter stating that since the youngest was within a year of turning 18 he didn't qualify for a modification. Even though all concerned know that the child will attend college and qualify for support until age 21. I guess we will just pay for two kids until the youngest turns 21? It's so crazy, my ex husband on the other hand is years behind and Missouri has never even pulled his license. I really think they stick it to the guys who pay like they are supposed to to make up the difference of doing a pitiful job enforcing support. My husband has never been one month behind, yet they treat him as if he is a deadbeat when he seeks a modification and he's told if he doesn't like it he should hire and attorney. I just pray that when the youngest turns 21 in 45 more months that we can get it stopped in a timely manner. It is ruining us financially to pay adults support and raise out kids with no support. Right now my husband and I both work to support three families. Ours, His ex's (With his adult kids) and my ex's (who never pays any support for the two kids we share)
wtg

United States

#4344 Dec 6, 2012
I have been fight thing battle since Oct 2011. Went to court in March 2012. Judge put a new order in effect stating that in order for my daughter to continue getting support she must supply me with grades withing 30 days or child support shall terminate. Well, I haven't seen any grades since March, so I filed in July. Made in to a trial on Oct 2. They didn't provide grades then and when asked about it they flat told the judge "no I didn't give them to him." Judge would NOT make a ruling on a judgement she put into effect. It's now Dec 6 and there still in no ruling. Child has since then dropped out of college. My lawyer contacted the judge to tell her that my child was no longer enrolled. Judge basicly said sorry the evidence is closed on this case, I will call you with my decision. So, if they judge finds in their favor, I have to refile again. Seems like my women judge is showing favortism. I wonder if there is someone you can file some type of grievence with when this is all over. This whole thing has been wrong since the beginning.

Dexter, MO

#4345 Jan 12, 2013
Just Mom wrote:
Hold on a minute...I am a mother too. Why should a non-custodial parent continue to pay for a child who is 18, and no longer a minor??? Why should a non-custodial parent be forced to pay child support when the non minor attends college. Why can't the child get a job, get a student loan, get a grant, just like anyone else??? I have a child who's parent passed away when she was 18 months old, do you think social security is going to pay when she goes to college, NO. Social Security stops at age 18..period. She will have to get loans, a job, whatever it takes for her to attend college. When you are 18 or graduate from high school, you are an adult...they need to take on the resposiblities of an adult, and make their own way. I had to make my own way. Who says that parents that are still married will pay for their children to go to college?
I'm wondering how much you received monthly all those years from SS?! I'm betting it was much higher than the average child support payment. If the parents were still married then the child attending college would have the monetary support of both parents. Your suggestion of "get a job, get a student loan, get a grant" tells me you've never put a child through college, because if you had you'd realize those things are simply not enough! Try voicing your opinion on something you are educated/experienced with!
Haha

Harrodsburg, KY

#4346 Jan 14, 2013
Men
Just Mom

Monett, MO

#4348 Jan 17, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm wondering how much you received monthly all those years from SS?! I'm betting it was much higher than the average child support payment. If the parents were still married then the child attending college would have the monetary support of both parents. Your suggestion of "get a job, get a student loan, get a grant" tells me you've never put a child through college, because if you had you'd realize those things are simply not enough! Try voicing your opinion on something you are educated/experienced with!
I am speaking form experience...my daughter is paying her own way thru college she is now in her 3rd year, I am not "paying" any of it. I do help her out, she does come home at times; but she is self suffcient just as she was taught to be. She has a job, carries 16 hours, and lives with a roommate. I still stand behind what I've said, non-custodial parents should not be forced to continue to pay child support for their adult children once they have turned 18 or graduated from high school.
3kidsnosupport

Lone Jack, MO

#4349 Jan 26, 2013
I have 3 grown children and my ex, their dad owes 130,000. in back support.Is their any way I can collect? Child support services failed my Kids and California Child support said it too hard to collect from him because he worked under the table. Now all the kids are over 18 1 is in college and in debt for his education already and hes 21. I supported all 3 kids by my self worked hard no welfare no food stamps.When Do we get justice?
eyemall

Greenville, KY

#4350 Jan 28, 2013
Why is it that some women get hild support very easy. Tak my ex sistr in law, al she has to do is to go to the judge and say that my brotherin law got a raise. Up goes his chld support. My wife pushed her ex husband for support for years even through the state she never once recieved any. Her ex didnt even get arrested or go to court over child support. So when I say child support is a joke it is.
Obusyone

West Palm Beach, FL

#4351 Feb 1, 2013
I am not sure what good this forum can do for me but I am - as many of you are - a unique case. I married two abusive men and had a child by each. After that second mistake I focused my energy on raising both of them, and as the first one never paid child support and I was in school for my teaching certificate we just made ends meet by the skin of my teeth. The second one had autism and Aspergers too just to make it more challenging as we were in therapists and evaluations probably three times a week which made it difficult to keep a real job so I just worked as a substitute teacher when I could.

I became the NCP and was ordered to pay CS when the second child was 12 and became so big and problematic that he went to live with his father. He made friends with my mother who I had serious issues with and did not include in my life. He found out she had a million dollars and admits that he had her change the will to provide for college and living expenses for the second child.

I just took this to court to terminate child support thinking 452.340 would support me - as "child" is 18 and has this huge amount of money to support him through college and he did not send the acceptance letter or class schedule but the court still mandates that I pay! I did get 4 months of abatement but I don't have the class schedule for this semester and the commissioner who heard the case didn't order him to send it either. What can I do?
jnixonthecrook

Saint Peters, MO

#4352 Feb 1, 2013
3kidsnosupport wrote:
I have 3 grown children and my ex, their dad owes 130,000. in back support.Is their any way I can collect? Child support services failed my Kids and California Child support said it too hard to collect from him because he worked under the table. Now all the kids are over 18 1 is in college and in debt for his education already and hes 21. I supported all 3 kids by my self worked hard no welfare no food stamps.When Do we get justice?
What U need is my incompetent MO FSD hearing officer j.latimer, a stupid CSE caseworker like e.davis that's being sued by a payday loan w/garnishment and my ignorant customer service line that knows nothing but i'll get it to the enforcement team. My education policy is doing great MO is 47 out of 50 states for the worst educated people and crime is shooting thru the roof.
Duhhh

Lone Jack, MO

#4353 Feb 3, 2013
jnixonthecrook wrote:
<quoted text>
What U need is my incompetent MO FSD hearing officer j.latimer, a stupid CSE caseworker like e.davis that's being sued by a payday loan w/garnishment and my ignorant customer service line that knows nothing but i'll get it to the enforcement team. My education policy is doing great MO is 47 out of 50 states for the worst educated people and crime is shooting thru the roof.

I read this 3 X and still don't understand what you are trying to say? Im college educated out of state.
jnixonthecrook

Nashville, TN

#4354 Feb 3, 2013
U don't understand bias authority, every FSD CSE caseworker in city of saint louis, has no college degree, only possess a GED/Diploma, skipped out on their rent, was getting welfare benefits from the state and has an active child support order and all of that makes them very qualified to administer enforcement programs for the state of missouri.....that's the meaning and if U're looking for a job college grad FSD CSE ain't it.
jnixonthecrook

Saint Peters, MO

#4355 Feb 7, 2013
I just hired another idiot to run DSS A. Freeman, those other morons interim Dir of DSS B. Kinkade & FSD Dir. A. Campbell, couldn't do there jobs correctly, they hired CSE caseworker that have garnishment against them for payday loans and skipping out on their rent, or income taxes they didn't pay, namely, E. Davis , C. Young and A. Watkins- all work for the city division of CSE, how can they issue wage withholding orders when they have wage withholding that a judge has set forth for them to pay what they owe to merchants, check CASENET.MO for all details

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grandview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
remove slanderous post from Topix NOW (Jun '14) 7 hr Beth 23
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr global gaza 20,507
News Why it Matters: Climate Change Tue Earthling-1 2
missing woman Mon Kawanda 2
Do hispanic woman like white men? (Jun '13) Aug 29 Joseph 121
Brothers Word MC (Sep '11) Aug 29 True 124
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug 29 Major Nadal Hassan 3

Grandview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grandview Mortgages