New Colton school district superintendent Almendarez set to lead

Education wasn't Jerry Almendarez's first career choice, but his decision to change course in his late-20s turned out to be a good one. Full Story
Rufus T Firefly

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 Nov 27, 2010
"I strongly believe we'll exit program improvement in the next couple years," Almendarez said.

How is it that many of these IE school districts spend millions of dollars each year and are millions of dollars in debt and the best they have to show is being classified into program improvement? Can't you see how utterly wasteful and inefficient public education is to our communities?
JEG

Canada

#2 Nov 27, 2010
As long as school districts are run by large egos that cannot admit they're not up to par and don't know what to do, they'll remain poor. How about asking the better schools in other states for help on how to do it, when doing it for less money.
Concerned

Orange, CA

#3 Nov 27, 2010
I hope the school board keeps
this unqualified man honest.
Upset Resident

Corona, CA

#4 Nov 28, 2010
Why such a delay in opening of new high school?
Babs

Irvine, CA

#5 Nov 28, 2010
Congratulations Mr. Almendarez! How can we help you improve our schools?

Maybe we need to look at the state's guidelines that put our schools into program improvement. NCLB requires that ALL students are proficient. That is unattainable.

I wonder if we would still be program improvement if we started measuring schools by the growth in individual student performance. That is a fair way to measure the success of our schools. Use the state testing to inform schools on how to improvement their curriculum rather than using it as a hammer to punish them.

So long as we run our schools as a value loss model (students grades are dependent on mastery level achievement while they learn new skills) we will continue to be program improvement. We need to change the way students are graded and the way tests are used.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Terrace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 min Trojan 27,584
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 3 hr Tina Kauffman 16,009
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon El SupremoS 201,038
UPDATE: Mother's boyfriend suspected in 5-year-... (Mar '10) Mon a mother of two 150
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sep 28 No Time for Tea 5,084
Review: Destroyer Automotive Inc (Sep '11) Sep 28 BrettChinola 23
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Sep 27 Bucketeers 7,965

Grand Terrace News Video

Grand Terrace Jobs

Grand Terrace People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Terrace News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Terrace

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]