Two teens arrested for arson, ...

Two teens arrested for arson, ...

There are 20 comments on the Hibbing Daily Tribune story from Mar 8, 2007, titled Two teens arrested for arson, .... In it, Hibbing Daily Tribune reports that:

Two male teens have been apprehended in a fire incident that took place on the steps of the Itasca County Sheriff's Office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hibbing Daily Tribune.

Lisa Colatrino

Joplin, MO

#1 Mar 9, 2007
How do the police know the teens thought process other than to damage property, SPECULATION on the part of police because I'm sure the teens were using drugs to do something so 'stupid', so they HAD to do it because they were mad about other drug arrests...WHY NOT ASK THEM. I'm sure their answer will be "I don't know" because they DIDN'T. They were under the influence! Of course that does not excuse their actions by any means, but please don't add to the story for the sake of filling in the gaps of 'WHY THESE THINGS HAPPEN'. I am disappointed and saddened by my son's actions but the police comment does NOT IMPRESS me at all.
Reese Mason

Kotzebue, AK

#2 Mar 27, 2007
I wholeheartedly agree with Miss Colatrino. Law enforcement was out of line with their comments. Just the facts, if you please.
Lisa Colatrino

Metairie, LA

#4 Jul 25, 2008
My son was found INNOCENT of all charges...they were trying to put just him away for 60+ years on 3 charges of FIRST DEGREE ARSON. I would say the prosecuting attorney was over-zealous and needs to apologize to my son, me, my family and the community for wasting their tax dollars, in that order.(Was it an election year?) I want to thank Daniel;s attorney for the all the work he did, sacrifice, and the kindness of my meager small payment...basically he did it pro-bono because of the injustice done to my son, or for whatever reason, I am ETERNALLY GRATEFUL. And lastly, I want to thank the JURY....they saw what was going on, saw through the lies and gave my son the freedom he deserved and for that I THANK THEM.
Daniel's MOM
hagreid

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Aug 12, 2008
Lisa, your son has been a problem since he moved to the Grand Rapids area. Maybe you forgot the charge of molesting small children....
hagreid

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Aug 13, 2008
Here is an update on dear Danny's current status:
Demographic Information
OID Number: 223749
Name: DANIEL AARON COLATRINO
Birth Date: 9/10/1987
Current Status: Incarcerated
Admit Date: 7/25/2007
Anticipated Release Date **: 9/8/2008
Anticipated Release Type: Supervised Release Date
Expiration Date: 8/8/2009
Case Worker: K. Matteen
Supervising Agent:
Controlling Offense Information *:
Offense Description: BURG 3-OCC NRES FRC-U-UNK WEAP-COM THEFT
Offense Modifier: ATTEMPT
Minnesota Statute(s): 609 582 3
609 17
County of Conviction: ITASCA
Court File Number: CR-06-3170
Opinionated

Grand Rapids, MN

#7 Aug 19, 2008
LOL hagreid....OUCH.
Andthen one of the other ones has a warrent for his arrest.
Are you guys aware of the fact that you can search criminal Backgrounds for free now on a web site that covers all of MN?
It has everything from criminal to judgements to small claims and family court.
****WARNING****
You will be on this site for awhile and will be looking up everyone and any thing. It is addicting!!
****WARNING**** LOL
http://www.mncourts.gov/district/9/
Have fun!
Daniels MOM

Metairie, LA

#8 Aug 19, 2008
hagreid wrote:
Here is an update on dear Danny's current status:
Demographic Information
OID Number: 223749
Name: DANIEL AARON COLATRINO
Birth Date: 9/10/1987
Current Status: Incarcerated
Admit Date: 7/25/2007
Anticipated Release Date **: 9/8/2008
Anticipated Release Type: Supervised Release Date
Expiration Date: 8/8/2009
Case Worker: K. Matteen
Supervising Agent:
Controlling Offense Information *:
Offense Description: BURG 3-OCC NRES FRC-U-UNK WEAP-COM THEFT
Offense Modifier: ATTEMPT
Minnesota Statute(s): 609 582 3
609 17
County of Conviction: ITASCA
Court File Number: CR-06-3170
HAGREID- no need to post an update, I know the circumstances of his incarceration and I think you need to re-check your molestation facts!!!!!!! Or better yet, stick to what you know, your own business because you KNOW NOTHING OF THE FACTS. Thank GOD you were not on the JURY or an innocent young man would be in prison for NO REASON>
Daniels MOM

Metairie, LA

#9 Aug 19, 2008
Get a life OPINIONATED!
The problem with the records site, is that it tells what people are charged with, convicted of and no mitigating circumstances are stated because it is just facts...I wonder if either of you have ever been in the judicial system?? It can be an octopus when you have headed down the wrong path and you better have money because lawyers aren't cheap. Good luck with your searching into people's lives and giving judgement.
Daniels Aunt

Omaha, NE

#10 Aug 19, 2008
Dear Hagreid & Opinionated,
Do you even know Daniel personally? Well let me give you some insight on the real Daniel. He is a kind and loving young man that would NEVER hurt a child, I know that the thought never crossed his mind no matter what drug he was on. As a matter of fact, my daughter adores him and has always been safe with him. Do you have actual proof of the dispicable accusation?(I don't think you do)
It sounds to me that you and opinionated have something in common with Daniel. A addiction... The only differance is Daniel was under the influence that helped him make the wrong choices.
And he was never offered help by anyone there. They just wanted to use him in his state to get what they wanted. Whats your excuse for surfing those "addicting" web sites and spitting your venomous lies about people that are paying for their crimes and can't freely sit down at the computer to defend themselves? How does that make YOU any better? Our only mistake was letting Daniel move back alone to the hell hole you call Grand Rapids. Dont worry our so called "problem Child" won't be coming back and that way you will be able to hopefully shut of your computer and end your "addicting" habit of hurting anyone else. I do want to thank you for showing your true colors, it just confirms my thoughts of what kind of people Daniel was dealing with.

Since: Apr 08

Minnesota

#11 Sep 10, 2008
Well, ok...you wanna come on here and take out your anger out on me for how you as a parent must have failed him as a child & for what your son has put you through, when I didnt say ONE word about him, then we will point out a few facts.

As a matter of fact, I do Know Daniel. But I chose not to say anything about him the first time. I know he was in and out of juvi several times for theft and other crimes I won't mention to show I am not out to bash him but to prove I know his history. I know the judicial system well. I've been through it myself. But I grew up.
He obviously did not get charged with the arson, but he has several other felonies and all though his aunt said he would not be back in this area, he was back in jail as recent as this month not to far away from here for not only a new crime, but he also had a warrent out of Itasca.

So I guess I can keep my nose in my computer now that he's back in the area. You both on the other hand should seriously look at how you wronged him as a child and as a result ended up the way he has.
Daniels MOM wrote:
Get a life OPINIONATED!
The problem with the records site, is that it tells what people are charged with, convicted of and no mitigating circumstances are stated because it is just facts...I wonder if either of you have ever been in the judicial system?? It can be an octopus when you have headed down the wrong path and you better have money because lawyers aren't cheap. Good luck with your searching into people's lives and giving judgement.
Daniels Mom

Metairie, LA

#12 Jan 9, 2009
Anger? No....I am trying to set your facts straight. He did get charged with arson, 3 counts and was found innocent!!! Personally, you may have known my son but do not assume to know anything about his family life or how he was raised. I also know the justice system and how things work and don't work in it...I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice...We all take responsibility for things we have done as my son has and paid his debt to society. by the way, since you claim to know him,(are you writing a biography?)you might like to know he is been out of prison for over 31/2 months and is drug-free and doing great. I have my son back and he has a second chance....you should be happy for him and me.
Gypsy Demon

Ringoes, NJ

#13 Jan 20, 2009
Hagried

Mound, MN

#14 Mar 25, 2009
Yes, I do unfortunately know him and his father personally. He now has 11 felonies and one gross misdemeanor in Minnesota. And yes, they are CONVICTIONS. People who knew Daniel and his Dad from this area did not see him in the same light his mother does. As to the facts, I knew both the offender and the children he molested and the parents of the molested kids, and the evidence also.
AmomToo

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 26, 2009
Where was Daniel's mom for all the years he lived in the GRapids area? Seems to me that she was absent for alot of his growing-up years and now she talks about judging others? Perhaps her degree in Criminal Justice could have been used to 'guide him' when he was inappropriately touching small children. I was in the court room and I didn't see Daniel's mom anywhere. My family went through hell. Facts? You want facts? Have you as Daniel's mother ever been told by a 3 year old that someone stuck their penis in his butt? Should I continue Daniel's mom? Yes, he has made some terrible choices but to blame it on intoxication/under the influence is absurd! He is responsible for his actions regardless. If there is a reason for blame of his actions maybe it is you, Daniel's mom!

Since: Apr 08

Minnesota

#16 Apr 18, 2009
AmomToo wrote:
Where was Daniel's mom for all the years he lived in the GRapids area? Seems to me that she was absent for alot of his growing-up years and now she talks about judging others? Perhaps her degree in Criminal Justice could have been used to 'guide him' when he was inappropriately touching small children. I was in the court room and I didn't see Daniel's mom anywhere. My family went through hell. Facts? You want facts? Have you as Daniel's mother ever been told by a 3 year old that someone stuck their penis in his butt? Should I continue Daniel's mom? Yes, he has made some terrible choices but to blame it on intoxication/under the influence is absurd! He is responsible for his actions regardless. If there is a reason for blame of his actions maybe it is you, Daniel's mom!
I'm so sorry your child went through all of that. My heart goes out to him and you as well. You are right theres nothing anyone can use as an excuse for such a horrific crime! If Daniel doesn't know right from worng then he should be locked up still and obviously mom is full of crap and doesn't know fact from fiction. A degree in criminal justice BULLCRAP!! Any person who violates a innocent helpless child like that should be locked up for ever.
Daniels Mom

Metairie, LA

#17 Jun 25, 2009
I want facts, show me and everyone facts...not rumors, lies and hearsay. Where are the court records????? Where is the sex offender on his record? Convicted? Accused? Where is the proof? You people are nuts! My ex must have really pissed you people off, he tends to do that, hence my divorce. On the subject of that-my being able or unable to raise my son, and reasons why will not be posted on internet...you however, can make up anything you want as I see you have above. Just be careful...slander is punishable in court. 11 Felonies is correct, I still wish to this day, he had called me to tell me the GREAT DEAL the police were giving him to GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD, cop to these unsolved break ins and you get out of jail and we clear the unsolved crimes...I smell politics involved. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house people. I see broken glass all around this pathetic site.
As for Daniel's progress- he is doing great....
Last but certainly NOT LEAST, Stop attacking my son and his character, rather PUT UP OR SHUT UP!
jboi

Marshfield, MO

#19 Apr 21, 2011
I know daniel personally as of this day, when he moved here he was actually an alright dude. That didnt last long as he DID steal a handicapped mans pickup from a club late at night and then ditched the truck the next morning not to bring attention to the place he was working at at the time. Their was a robbery of people that he called "friends" and low and behold guess whos name come up by someone who knew who stole the items?? none other than danny boy. Dan is a low life that has burned every bridge here in the state of MO and many people (people with serious grudges) are looking for him to take back what was taken from them and more. So to stick up for Mr.Colatrino puts you in the same boat as him!! try to argue that!!

Since: Sep 08

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#20 Apr 28, 2011
jboi wrote:
I know daniel personally as of this day, when he moved here he was actually an alright dude. That didnt last long as he DID steal a handicapped mans pickup from a club late at night and then ditched the truck the next morning not to bring attention to the place he was working at at the time. Their was a robbery of people that he called "friends" and low and behold guess whos name come up by someone who knew who stole the items?? none other than danny boy. Dan is a low life that has burned every bridge here in the state of MO and many people (people with serious grudges) are looking for him to take back what was taken from them and more. So to stick up for Mr.Colatrino puts you in the same boat as him!! try to argue that!!
That's low, pathetic and sad stealing from a disabled person.
Seems to be an ongoing issue for him and he also seems to be widening his reputation area. It follows you every and anywhere. There's no escaping it.
autum guderian

Grand Forks, ND

#21 Jan 21, 2012
you know what that whole thing was a set up. how do i know that because i was charged with that stupid crap and i didnt even do it i just knew it might happen. i was not under the influence of any sort but the kids who did it were. i was accused of being a major drug dealer when ive never sold a drug a day in my life. ive never been in jail and they were going to send me to a federal prison for 4 years and the person who investigated me went to prison for doing crap to a little boy!
autum guderian

Grand Forks, ND

#22 Jan 21, 2012
so im the only one with any real facts here. dan did do it so did the other three but the fact that they let him free when he took part in it is outragous im glad hes locked up. wish my ex husband would have went to prison for that crap but i had the least to do with it and i got charged wtf! you guys can just keep bickering bout this crap all u want but im the one whos got the facts straight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charges: Accused's Brother Threatened Witness I... (Jul '16) Jul '16 wichita-rick 7
Police Cover-up (Sep '14) Jul '16 joe adams 5
News Iron Range communities act on vision for new ho... (Feb '09) Jun '16 positronium 6
News Global steel slump with roots in China shakes m... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Lizzy Gingerich 1
News Former Itasca County Deputy Charged (Dec '08) Oct '15 Good Christian Linda 15
News The horror of waiting for missing women (Jul '15) Jul '15 Footlong at Lockport 4
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages