Person killed by train near Zeeland

Person killed by train near Zeeland

There are 78 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jan 3, 2009, titled Person killed by train near Zeeland. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A person was killed Saturday night after being hit by an Amtrak train near Zeeland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Voter

United States

#1 Jan 3, 2009
So help me if one person says that this was Amtrak's fault! Trains take distance to stop and some person walking down the tracks (we'll see if alcohol was involved - won't be a shocker). Also WOOD TV 8 get your info straight - it would be train 370 (possibly engine # 516). Thoughts are with the family. And the train crew.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2 Jan 3, 2009
Boy Amtrak just can't catch a break lately. Must have been another suicide. I live near the tracks, and can hear and feel the trains coming from way off.

Since: Nov 08

Grand Rapids, Michigan

#3 Jan 3, 2009
God Bless abd praters to the family and train personnel.

Since: May 08

Plainwell, MI

#5 Jan 3, 2009
German cars SUPERIOR wrote:
It might be wise for the low IQ people who run this company to invest in some GERMAN car tech.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/ctc/blog/genera...
This sign has sharp edges, do not touch the edges of this sign. Also, the bridge is out ahead. ohhhh.. too late, couldn't see it in the dark, pricks.
Talk about low IQ. What does this have to do with the story........

“Listen to the Truth, Man.”

Since: Apr 08

Comstock Park

#7 Jan 3, 2009
A lot of bad press for Amtrak lately.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#8 Jan 3, 2009
I love trains. My grandfather was a conductor and my father was the coal shoveler on the old steam trains (my father died 3 years ago at age 90). The old Pier Marquette rail line. Often I get tears in my eyes when I hear a train whistle. It reminds me so much of my father.

My father would have stayed with the trains as a career, but I recall him telling my mom, a long time ago when I was quite small, that there was a terrible car/train accident right around Christmas time and a family was killed. My father had to help clean up human remains and it bothered him so much that he went into something else for a career.

I'm very sorry for this current accident, suicide or not, it's heart wrenching.

Since: Jun 08

Fennville, Mich

#9 Jan 3, 2009
Okay, gotta say it,

It's amtracks fault

No just someone that wants an out and has found it. I feel for his family, they have to live with his decision.
old_timer

United States

#10 Jan 4, 2009
Dam, this person should have been walking there when all the delays were happening. Or did someone tell him to "go play on the railroad tracks"?

Since: Dec 08

Dorr, MI

#11 Jan 4, 2009
You know, I wish some of you people that post on here would read the news story a couple times BEFORE you post you're comments... it says the police believe it was a suicide, and like the other person "wzombiegrl" said, they live close by and you can hear the train coming, this person had to know, and it was their intention to die; And blaming AMTRAK for this is just plain dumb
bighorse

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Jan 4, 2009
I live near this intersection. This will make the 3rd suicide in the last dozen years or so on the tracks. Has the person been identified yet?
Here come the lawyers

AOL

#13 Jan 4, 2009
Now watch the family sue becase they dont have a 10 foot high fence built to keep morons from stepping out in front of the train

Cause we all know it has to be someones fault beside th idiot who decided to end there life

Since: Sep 08

United States

#16 Jan 4, 2009
I heard the engineer report this to the dispatcher right after it happened. He was pretty shaken up but it sounded like the person jumped out in front of the train just past an intersection, maybe 64th, he did not know at the time. He put the train in emergency, that must have been fun for the passengers.
color

Aurora, CO

#17 Jan 4, 2009
Some of you who post on here are just plan clueless, and cruel.
This was a trajic accident one way or the other. This is extremly painful for the family, and for the employees on the train.
What makes you say/write such hurtful ugly things? Boy if it's not Woods fault, it's the trains fault, the person who had a burdon to carry if that what this ends up to be. Blame, complain, and bash is what your good at. Get some help it's available.
internet troll

United States

#18 Jan 4, 2009
color wrote:
Some of you who post on here are just plan clueless, and cruel.
This was a trajic accident one way or the other.
This wasn't an accident. Someone jumped in front of a moving machine intending to kill themself. Unless someone can verify the person was thrown in front of the train....

This was a cowardly act that implicated dozens of other people in the cowards decisions. I feel bad for the person who was so desperate, but WTF? Why choose a way that will weigh on the shoulders of the employees, passengers, the family left behind. COWARD.
wife of a conductor

Gwinn, MI

#19 Jan 4, 2009
This can't be Amtrak's fault. It takes atleast a mile for a train to stop. If the Amtrak engineer saw this person walking on the tracks I'm sure they did everything in their power to stop but has anyone thought that it's the victim's fault for walking on the tracks in the dark? Obviously, this person was expecting the outcome. It's a sad and tragic ending for the victim's family but Amtrak cannot predict that someone will be on the tracks especially since there is so much track to monitor.
HAMBONE

Washington, MI

#20 Jan 4, 2009
The Pere Marquette lately has worse luck than the Lions!
Kelli

Montague, MI

#21 Jan 4, 2009
Jeta1 wrote:
Okay, gotta say it,
It's amtracks fault
No just someone that wants an out and has found it. I feel for his family, they have to live with his decision.
So, then if he would have chosen to jump in front of moving car, then he would have been at fault.
Family

Denver, CO

#22 Jan 4, 2009
I am sick from some of these comments. I pray something like never happens to your family. No one knows all of the details yet and some of you have the most insensitive words I have ever seen. We woke up this morning to a phone call that she had died. No one with her, no alcohol, no drugs. Just a decision that impacts our family. I pray for our familys emotional haling during this time and I also pray for the people with the poor judgement to post some of these comments. May God show your the pain of your words.
Observer

Midvale, UT

#23 Jan 4, 2009
When someone commits suicide and involves someone else, they make that someone else suffer for the rest of their lives. I saw someone fall to their death 17 years ago and still think about it.
Same thing happened a few month ago at an indoor gun range, girl shot and killed herself with a rented gun. The employees have to deal with the aftermath.
More family

United States

#24 Jan 4, 2009
This is truly a sad day. Sad for our family, sad for the families that will be effected by what happened. I received my call a short while ago. This person was one of the most caring, giving people you would ever meet. This is definitely not the forum to discuss the events leading up to last night. It is a tragedy that her life ended this way, and even worse that others were made involved. As for all the internet rats that love to get on here and run your mouths with no compassion, I am going to do what this person taught me to do. I will say a prayer for each and every one of you today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 1 hr katylied67 1,238
News a oeIa ve been called a race traitor:a Hispanic... May 15 wxmitvweb 6
Local News Women (Apr '09) May 15 WMNewslover 3,375
Poll Betty Ford has died. Do you care? (Jul '11) May 13 Dick in Uranus 269
News Missing Constantine girl found dead in cemetery (Nov '07) May 13 Dick in Uranus 149
I am god of Uranus, speak almighty toothless one! May 13 God of Uranus 1
Why we have illegal immigration. May 13 Jewish Mexican Ba... 2

Grand Rapids Jobs

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages