Despite economy, church giving strong

Despite economy, church giving strong

There are 46 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Apr 12, 2009, titled Despite economy, church giving strong. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Unemployment may be up to 12 percent in the state of Michigan, but a pastor with the Ada Bible Church says they're defying the odds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 09

nowhere

#1 Apr 12, 2009
well its good that they dont expect an increase. i mean what are they gonna try and tithe peoples unemployment lol
rtcher61

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Apr 12, 2009
Unemployment income is taxed so why not tithe from it too? Yes, we do. Our income is down considerably but I don't think the percentage dropped much.
Beck

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Apr 12, 2009
Unemployment is income too-- you still tithe from it.
wow

Breckenridge, CO

#4 Apr 12, 2009
I doubt many members of Ada Bible are out of work ... aren't they all doctors, lawyers, dentists, accountants, and so on??
adachurchgoer

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Apr 12, 2009
I think these comments are pretty consistent for the type of attitudes here in West Michigan. Why can't you be supportive of a group of people giving despite the economy instead of passing some form of judgment? I am not a doctor, lawyer, dentist, accountant, or so on, and I attend Ada Bible so that comment is very ignorant. Don't judge something unless you know your facts!! Praise God for allowing this church and any other church for continuing on in their giving ways because I am sure Ada is not the only church receiving consistent giving from their congregation!!

“Time for work”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#6 Apr 12, 2009
wow wrote:
I doubt many members of Ada Bible are out of work ... aren't they all doctors, lawyers, dentists, accountants, and so on??
All but two token janitors.
Whyteboar

Longmont, CO

#7 Apr 12, 2009
ABC has taught for years to live within your means. Because of this I suspect they can tread water better than many. It certainly isn't because they have less than average unemployment in their ranks.
holland

United States

#8 Apr 12, 2009
Whyteboar wrote:
ABC has taught for years to live within your means. Because of this I suspect they can tread water better than many. It certainly isn't because they have less than average unemployment in their ranks.
Good stewardship is a high priority in many churches. Many people in the industrialized world have lost track of that concept. I applaud the church & its members for embracing & following the good stewardship model! I am sure they are much better off for focusing on being good stewards of God's gifts!
bridget

Deerfield, IL

#9 Apr 12, 2009
The church is being blessed so that it may continue to be a blessing to who ever will hear the good news. I attend and will continue to give with a full and open heart. I am not a doctor or lawyer just a waitress but God is providing for me and my needs are met. One of those needs is a place for true and honest fellowship. Praise God! I encourage all of you to come and receive the message of hope.
hank

Princeton, NJ

#10 Apr 13, 2009
adachurchgoer wrote:
I think these comments are pretty consistent for the type of attitudes here in West Michigan. Why can't you be supportive of a group of people giving despite the economy instead of passing some form of judgment? I am not a doctor, lawyer, dentist, accountant, or so on, and I attend Ada Bible so that comment is very ignorant. Don't judge something unless you know your facts!! Praise God for allowing this church and any other church for continuing on in their giving ways because I am sure Ada is not the only church receiving consistent giving from their congregation!!
I bet you dont judge Obama or a girl getting an abortion now do you. Go ahead and waste your money so the pastor can drive an suv and have a 20 million dollard church! The next time you go to church think to yourself, How many lives could we make better if we didnt spend all this money on this beautiful church! We could have opened a soup kitchen and fed the hungry... Judging, your judging by saying we are judging! Typical church goer! Keep giving your money. Bet you when you have to decide between giving to your church or putting food on the table you quit giving to your church!
hank

Princeton, NJ

#11 Apr 13, 2009
Wonder how much that giant big screen television cost... Keep giving your money, maybe they can have a screen for every person in front of them. Any person who gives money to some church who buys a giant screen television is wasting their money! Praise God for making it possible to have a giant screen television in our church while people's kids are doing without! Please defend your giant screen tv!? I can just imagine the living quarters also! Keep on giving!!!
look closer

Allegan, MI

#12 Apr 13, 2009
hank wrote:
Wonder how much that giant big screen television cost... Keep giving your money, maybe they can have a screen for every person in front of them. Any person who gives money to some church who buys a giant screen television is wasting their money! Praise God for making it possible to have a giant screen television in our church while people's kids are doing without! Please defend your giant screen tv!? I can just imagine the living quarters also! Keep on giving!!!
that image is a projection screen, not a tv. Furthermore, alot of ada's video, audio and other technology has actually been donated.
a rational approach

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Apr 13, 2009
hank wrote:
Wonder how much that giant big screen television cost... Keep giving your money, maybe they can have a screen for every person in front of them. Any person who gives money to some church who buys a giant screen television is wasting their money! Praise God for making it possible to have a giant screen television in our church while people's kids are doing without! Please defend your giant screen tv!? I can just imagine the living quarters also! Keep on giving!!!
And the last time you gave to a soup kitchen, funded a food pantry, supported an inner city school (my church supplies their clothing closet, food pantry, And the nurses office cuz the city can't)or hoped on a bus to rebuild homes after Katrina was when? All church funded my friend..

Since: Oct 08

Littleton, CO

#14 Apr 13, 2009
The price of going to heaven has not decreased. Budget of $5.7 million . . remarkable . . even Jimmy Swaggart is grinning . . .
adachurchgoer

Colorado Springs, CO

#15 Apr 13, 2009
Hank, you are funny, funny guy!! As for Obama, I am not a fan of Obama, but he is our president so I just hope that he is doing the correct things for this country. Do I like what he is doing all the time, no, but I do not judge him like you think I do because it is not my place. God put him in control for a reason, and I wholeheartedly believe that God calls me to respect the people that are in charge. As for a girl getting an abortion, I disagree with the decision completely, but that is just my belief. I understand that other people have different beliefs than me so I am not in control of their lives or what they do.

As for the pastors driving an SUV or having a 20 million dollar church, they can drive what they want because it is their money to spend. I can tell you this that 20% of the budget goes towards pastors salaries. If you notice, I am not saying pastor but pastors, and we have 3 pastors at the church. The church does not have 20 million, but I believe their budget is around 5 million with absolutely no debt. 80% of the money goes towards everything else to run a church the way they want the church run. I will say this again, don't jump to conclusions on things you know nothing about because it just makes you look stupid!!
what

Holland, MI

#16 Apr 13, 2009
you know i used to attend ada bible church until their focus of out reach was rock music and not having conviction in the messages... ada bible used to be a smaller church, but is not so large the Manion's are all pocketing money and laughing at the followers.
Regular Guy

Salt Lake City, UT

#17 Apr 13, 2009
Wow Hank.
You seem to have much anger here. I think the big picture here is not the tv but that Ada uses this to reach people across town in an effort to teach more people how to fish. You seem to suggest people just give their money to those without and that does not teach people how to "fish" but rather where to get those handouts. Ada works very hard to provide scriptural based teaching to those in attendance (whether by TV across town or in the "mother ship in front of Jeff Manion himself)
I sense you are struggling to make ends meet yourself and maybe you would want to tune into Jeff's podcasts at:

feed://feeds2.feedburner.com/A daBibleSermons

i suggest starting with the 4 part series titled Real World Faith
PISSED

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Apr 13, 2009
Sooo.....this tells me that the economy is not that bad after all.....this only the beginning.....
Teresa

Traverse City, MI

#19 Apr 13, 2009
I'm so grateful and thankful for a positive news story. I'm proud of Ada Bible Church for trusting God in their giving and they are reaping the rewards...especially in this economy! Awesome!!
Make some sense

Lansing, MI

#20 Apr 13, 2009
"Bet you when you have to decide between giving to your church or putting food on the table you quit giving to your church!"

I truly believe that if you are giving as a sacrifice and for the glory of God, you will never need to make that choice. God loves a cheerful giver and will supply all your needs.

You may be cynical all you want, and I will be first to admit that some church leaders misuse funds. But the point in this instance is that giving to the church isn't suffering greatly in this economy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
East Grand Rapids Mugshots and Criminal Arrest ... (Sep '16) May 25 east 3
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) May 23 bonds77 396
Local News Women (Apr '09) May 22 NewsFan13 2,905
Poll What about Obama's wife? (Aug '10) May 20 Horrific 378
Sonic's GR History? (Sep '09) May 12 Cdoxie 15
News The cold, hard facts about seven winter driving... (Nov '14) May 10 then thaw Floods ... 2
The Geek Group May 10 Redrider87 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) May 9 Wyoming Bob 1,174

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages