Shark Steam Mop

There are 190 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Jan 16, 2008, titled Shark Steam Mop. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

When it comes to mopping floors, there are a lot of options these days besides a mop and bucket.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Michelle

United States

#146 Sep 19, 2010
i have an infant and use the shark all the tome. it clrans our gloors amazingly well. i have never seen anythibg like it
kayliepet

Alexandria, MN

#147 Sep 27, 2010
This works!!!! I had to leave the vinegar in for awhile and turn it on & off and then pumped the handle and tilted the steamer in all directions and it started to steam just a tiny bit. Then I poured out the vinegar & filled with water from the refrigerator and it starting STEAMING AGAIN!!! Thanks Skinny!!!!
skinny wrote:
Solution to Shark Steam Mop not working because of hard water corrosion:
Empty out all the water and pour some white vinegar into it (enough to allow steam to be made) and let it go for at least a couple of minutes. Unplug and let cool. Then pour any remaining vinegar out and put distilled water back in for normal operation.(Don't leave vinegar in unit. It might do some other type of damage.)
Mine stopped producing steam and I did this and it immediately produced steam (after the normal 30 second wait).
JWA

Tucson, AZ

#148 Nov 13, 2010
Candy wrote:
BUY FROM A STORE AND SAVE YOUR RECEIPT.... It streaks on tile, is hard to push, you have to spend a lot of time cleaning the pads after each use, and mine stopped working after 6 uses. So my suggestion is to buy it from Target or Walmart so you wont waste money on shipping when you buy it and return it......
Candy,
I don't mean to be rude, but do you weigh 300#, have diabetes, and breath heavily when you go upstairs? The unit weighs like fives pounds when on the floor and you're pushing it.
JimT

Fredericksburg, VA

#149 Dec 7, 2010
tina wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you buy the extra pads?
You can get them at most of the major home improvement stores such as Lowes
Big Guy

Thompsonville, MI

#150 Dec 7, 2010
They sell this cheap crap on TV. By the time that word gets around, that it's junk, The company has made a hefty bundle. Then who cares if you keep buying their product.

“DRILL FOR OIL?, "YES WE CAN"”

Since: Jul 08

Ada, MI

#151 Dec 7, 2010
pianoslave wrote:
I have the Shark Steam Mop and really like it though it is a little resistent to push on my laminate floor. However, it fell over after just the first use and broke the plastic piece that secures the handle. They offered to send me a new one at no charge but told me it would take 3 weeks. It didn't set well with me that they charged me my second payment before it was even replace. I am not wild about their customer service.
Ya but, they said they would replace it after YOU broke it.
I don't see much more they can do.

All this stuff is cheap, all the TV's , stereos, major appliances, and anything "green" is ALL super cheap junk, all of it.
Jenny

Cabot, AR

#152 Jan 12, 2011
So after a year, using the mop around 2-3 times per month. The steam just won't come out anymore. I have read all the comments, tried the vinegar thing, still not working, so I have decided to move on to something else.
Shark should lower the price to around 19.99. I think that is what a years use is worth, not 129.00. I got the super deluxe model that has interchangeable heads, and something for the carpet.
I have to mention that I take excellent care of my stuff. I guess my problem was that I left water in it. I guess you should buy distilled water only, as some water can be hard and build up inside it and cause it to stop working. Mine still gets hot but steam shoots out the sides instead of the bottom. Bummer because I love it for my tiled floors as cleaners seep up into grout and smell after a while.
Beverly

Summerville, GA

#153 Jan 14, 2011
Does the Shark Mop do well on parquet hardwood and laminate square tiles?
Deb

Peoria, AZ

#154 Jan 24, 2011
Shirley - Muskegon wrote:
I own the Shark Steam Mop and LOVE it. I use it on my laminate hardwood floors and ceremic tile floors. It cleans very well with no chemicals and the floors actually stay clean longer -especially the bathroom floor - no more hairspray residue etc. It's a great product and worth every penny. Pads are machine washable and no dryer! I have extra pads as well.
When I called Wilsonart I was told that they would not guarantee the warranty if the Shark was used on my laminate hardwood floor. They told me they have not tested the Shark yet but were suppose to soon....not so sure about that. Have you had any problems with the wood planks loosing?
Beverly

Douglas, GA

#155 Jan 24, 2011
Why is it taking the shine off of my parquet floor?
RFist383

Plainwell, MI

#156 Jan 24, 2011
Deb wrote:
<quoted text>
When I called Wilsonart I was told that they would not guarantee the warranty if the Shark was used on my laminate hardwood floor. They told me they have not tested the Shark yet but were suppose to soon....not so sure about that. Have you had any problems with the wood planks loosing?
I would say any heat is bad, along with steam is really hard on things, including real wood.
Move the mop faster, you have the heat don't try and allow i9t to dissolve, it will, will will steam.

All you need to do is take some VERY diluted soap ANY soap.Spray LIGHTLY on the floor, wait 10 minutes, then use the steam mop.

No more soap !, redo if another rinse.
Whitney

Beaumont, TX

#157 Feb 7, 2011
Got a Shark Steam Mop for Christmas and loved it...til now. The hole where you slide the different shape mops onto the shaft has melted and now no steam comes out and water just leaks everywhere.
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#158 Feb 7, 2011
If I bought every "Shark" product which has been introduced to supposedly make my life easier, I'd have contributed more to the Coopersville landfill than a body has a right to.
Jean

Cottondale, AL

#159 Feb 21, 2011
I used my Shark Steam mop for the first time and loved it. No sticky residue or chemicals. But, the second time I used it, the handle broke when I turned a corner! I continued to mop but the handle broke completely off so I had to order one from Shark for 36.90 including shipping. I'm afraid this will happen again because the plastic is very hard and thin. A thicker plastic or rubbery coating would certainly help. Wish I had bought the Bissel steam mop.
cleanerthanthou

Glasgow, KY

#160 Apr 9, 2011
MissDinty wrote:
....also..I got it at Canadian Tire, as well as extra pads. I also do not like how the pads will not come clean after the first use.
Any type of cloth will not come clean when extremely dirty. When you use a wash rag or an old tee shirt to clean your floor does it come clean? It has nothing to do with the quality of the pads. I rinse mt pad several times while cleaning , it helps to keep it from getting so filthy.
cleanerthanthou

Glasgow, KY

#161 Apr 9, 2011
y shark steam mop leaves large drips of water on the floor. Does anyone know if there's a way to prevent that or if it's a flaw in the workmanship of the mop?
Danielle

United States

#162 May 16, 2011
Well I must say...I have the brand new steam mop and only paid $6 for it! I found it at dirt cheap. I plugged it in to test it and cleaned a portion of the store floor. I steamed too good if you ask me. I have 2 children and live how it cleans. I also have the hand held steamer which I paid $12 for at dirt cheap as well. My only question is....I now have stained concrete floors, can I use my mop on the floors?
Tina

Wausau, WI

#163 May 18, 2011
my husband bought me the shark steam mop for my b-day that I wanted so bad went to use it today, and it was working and then the steam quit. I took the head off. and the steam shot out like a rocket. luckily nobody was by it. now won't steam at all. only 1 year old and used maybe 7 times I don't want him to know he paid 120 dollars for it. I feel so bad.
Joemama

Hamtramck, MI

#164 May 18, 2011
Tina wrote:
my husband bought me the shark steam mop for my b-day that I wanted so bad went to use it today, and it was working and then the steam quit. I took the head off. and the steam shot out like a rocket. luckily nobody was by it. now won't steam at all. only 1 year old and used maybe 7 times I don't want him to know he paid 120 dollars for it. I feel so bad.
I don't think I would worry about his feelings too much. He bought you a mop for your birthday present !! What a tool !!
Judy O

Cincinnati, OH

#165 Jul 10, 2011
I just put in Bamboo flooring in my kitchen. Can I use the Shark Steamer to clean it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 1 hr A Local 3,331
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 6 hr Yo Just Me Here 1,231
Making Abortion Illegal 7 hr Yo Just Me Here 1
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Apr 20 Selph 57
News WZZM13 - Teacher accused of molesting several y... (Jun '07) Apr 12 Thankful 20
News Missing Constantine girl found dead in cemetery (Nov '07) Apr 9 ghost 148
Bridge Card (Apr '09) Apr 1 Boldly Go 143

Grand Rapids Jobs

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages