Meteorite, or something, spotted in sky

Viewers from Kalamazoo to Allegan County to Cedar Springs reported seeing something that looked like a shooting star with an "orangish tail." Police scanners revealed Allegan County authorities dispatched some ... Read more
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
NEWSROOM

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Oct 9, 2008
If you saw the meteor, where did you see it?
Skywatcher

Allendale, MI

#2 Oct 9, 2008
There was a similar incident in Ottawa County last week...Bill I sent you an Email ref this incident..
not related

Grand Blanc, MI

#3 Oct 9, 2008
but three weeks ago i saw the largest meteor i've ever seen in grand rapids. same thing; huge, orange and blue tail, almost moving in slow motion. While most meteors seem to be a speck that lasts a second, this from my pov was the size of a softball and lasted until the horizon. and no, i was not high.
Michael

United States

#4 Oct 9, 2008
Interesting. I saw something like this about 11 years ago or so. It was during a meteor shower, but one was incredibly bright. I'd love to see if there is any footage of it.

“Proud Cherokee”

Since: Aug 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Oct 9, 2008
Could it possibly have been the International Space station again? I know that briefly appears within human eye view now and again?

“Fed Up”

Since: May 08

Wayland, Michigan

#6 Oct 9, 2008
"Meteorite, or something, spotted in sky"

Nice headline wood tv. High school journalism students could have came up with something that doesn't sound as stupid as that.
johnny 5

Detroit, MI

#7 Oct 9, 2008
Meteor,International Space Station,the Bat Signal? Don.t you poor little bunnies recognize a burning bush when you see one? This is a warning. It's all been prophesised. Read the Good Book (the one with the blue cover). What else is missing, the end times are upon us. There are signs, antichrist running for president, the American dollar collapsing now that they took "in God we trust" off of it, the devil is rampant. Seek and yea shall be turned away.
jhaiac

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Oct 9, 2008
i was walking out from work and i and other coworkers saw this as well very very cool and very very bright.

“Fed Up”

Wayland, Michigan

#9 Oct 9, 2008
johnny 5 wrote:
Meteor,International Space Station,the Bat Signal? Don.t you poor little bunnies recognize a burning bush when you see one? This is a warning. It's all been prophesised. Read the Good Book (the one with the blue cover). What else is missing, the end times are upon us. There are signs, antichrist running for president, the American dollar collapsing now that they took "in God we trust" off of it, the devil is rampant. Seek and yea shall be turned away.
wow.....

People like you should be forced to wear hats made of aluminum foil 24/7 so the rest of us know who you are.
rtl

Leawood, KS

#10 Oct 9, 2008
Aluminum foil helmet!!! That's funny. For those that don't know Johnny 5 is a character from the movie Short Circut, how fitting because Johnny 5 you are a WACKO!!!!!
isaygrr

Wayland, MI

#13 Oct 10, 2008
Johnny 5.....

Are you the guy with the huge sign telling people they're going to hell, that goes to all of the big events downtown?

Geesh.
Might be a Redneck

Flint, MI

#15 Oct 10, 2008
Countingstars wrote:
Could it possibly have been the International Space station again? I know that briefly appears within human eye view now and again?
It was not the space station it was not visible over this area last night.

“Part of the uninformed masses.”

Since: Jun 08

Grand Rapids

#16 Oct 10, 2008
That was my retirement plan crashing into Lake Michigan...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Shoeless Eluder

Flint, MI

#17 Oct 10, 2008
I don't know how many people care about this kind of stuff I find it interesting. I guess its a right place right time kind of thing. I saw an asteroid back in the mid 1990s . It was about 11:00pm I was working as a truck driver at the time . I was standing in a truck lot behind a trailer takin a leak I saw this bright light it just kind of popped out of space ,at first I thought it was a plane because I was near the GR Ford airport .It wasn't a plane I watched it for maybe two minutes as it went from the east to the southwest it left a huge smoke trail and all of a sudden it just popped back in too space and was gone. Right place right time. Keep looking up.

Lowell, MI

#18 Oct 10, 2008
Looking at a new ten dollar bill and it says "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the back..........
johnny 5 wrote:
HappyMom

Greenville, MI

#19 Oct 10, 2008
Countingstars wrote:
No, it wasn't that. I was one of the first to email WOOD, and Susan G. actually called me to ask what I had seen. It was about 9:15 and in the northern sky, just to the west, it was like a shooting star, only slower, and had an orange tail. It was very obvious it was not a satellite or space station. Whenever there is a meteor shower I will sit out and watch it, and this was slower moving and much brighter than what you see in a typical meteor shower. I thought perhaps we were scheduled for a passing comet that I didn't hear about, or that maybe there was some explosion in the sky that I had missed, since I had just caught it out my window.
Knowing now that it was not anything that involved anyone getting hurt, it was pretty cool to see.
BOB

United States

#20 Oct 10, 2008
I believe it was a fragment from the stock market.going down in a ball of fire

“lifer”

Since: Oct 07

Somerville, NJ

#21 Oct 10, 2008
Better Yet wrote:
Looking at a new ten dollar bill and it says "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the back..........<quoted text>
Most likely jonny 5 was referring to a hoax Email about the $1 coin that stated the "IN GOD WE TRUST" was removed. DUH It is on the edge of the coin as most of you real people already know.
Amount

Encino, CA

#22 Oct 10, 2008
It was me shooting off my flare gun again. GeeZ
Underdog

Grand Rapids, MI

#23 Oct 10, 2008
Just me passing by.
Sorry about all the fuss...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shop owner will deny - openly gay' customers 1 hr NorCal Native 36
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 4 hr tom wingo 1,841
PathologicalLliar Thu Sneaky Pete 3
News This Woman Didn't Get Any Bacon In Her Burger S... Thu Gerald 48
gyrocopter subverts message Thu bobolinq 1
hillary clinton - 3D Wed Gville Jim 3
News Want the city to pay for your pothole damage? (Mar '08) Apr 13 sarah 53
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]