$30,000 stolen in home invasion

Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Deputies responded to the home invasion call and found a man who told them his apartment had been broken in to. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WHAT

United States

#1 Mar 29, 2009
who the flip has 23,000.00 in cash AT HOME and 2,500.00 in silver AT HOME sounds fishy too me. INSURANCE SCAM

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#2 Mar 29, 2009
I was thinking the same thing except insurance companies have limits on cash. If it's not a scam then I'll bet it's someone he knows who knew it was going to be there. The article didn't say if the safe was locked...if it was, how did the intruder get it open. Another question...3 laptops??
Monkey

Kalamazoo, MI

#3 Mar 29, 2009
He's starting up his own business - if the Cash For Gold people can do it, why not Cash For Silver?

Hopefully someone is looking into the REAL story here, which is why the guy had $23,000 sitting around the house. Bizarre...
Dumb

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Mar 29, 2009
Drug dealer I'm sure. Who else has that much cash just lying around, in an apartment, with 3 laptops...
Wendy

Greenville, MI

#5 Mar 29, 2009
Sounds A LOT fishy to me...insurance fraud! I don't know anyone who would keep THAT much money in their apartment AND that much silver! If he is telling the truth than it is obviously someone who knows him and knows he has this kind of money. I know many people who have 2 + laptops, so that isn't fishy to me. It almost sounds as if the guy was running a pawnshop or something out of his home...hopefully they figure this story out soon.
Additallup

Ecorse, MI

#6 Mar 29, 2009
I have several computers in my house, including two laptops, two servers, and other networking equipment. Having cash on hand is nothing new for me, especially during times like this. My place is decorated with other valuables. But I also have a dog, hidden security cameras, including other resources for protection when I'm home. It's quite possible that someone buying and selling used items could legally have any number of valuable items in their residence. It's also easy to jump to the conclusion that the victim was doing something illegal. Oh, and a home safe to protect your money? Ha! If it can't be pried open on-site it can be carried or dragged out of the residence. Sounds like someone knew that the goodies where there for the taking.
Additallup

Ecorse, MI

#7 Mar 29, 2009
The cash, if he had that amount, should've been better protected or hidden. Putting that much into a consumer grade home safe is just plain stupid.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#8 Mar 29, 2009
Hey, I think I'm missing $30,000 too!!
crazy

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Mar 29, 2009
if he had $23,000, why was he living in an apartment? Sounds crazy to me

Since: Oct 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Mar 29, 2009
Realistically, in today's banking situation, a lot of people probably have money under the mattress. I pulled all my money out of 5/3 because of it's stock price. Of course, my mattress became a credit union.
Sassycat

North Branch, MI

#12 Mar 29, 2009
It would be interesting to know the apartment complex or addresses of such crimes so we could all be more wary. Why can't they print that info???
Sassycat

North Branch, MI

#13 Mar 29, 2009
I don't know why all of you are so suspicious of the victim. I know people who keep cash at home, and valuable collections of various types. And many people have more than one computer. Not everyone is poverty stricken, you know. Insurance doesn't cover cash that is stolen, so why would you think it was an insurance scam??? You people are nuts.
Wow

United States

#14 Mar 29, 2009
Over 50 wrote:
Realistically, in today's banking situation, a lot of people probably have money under the mattress.
Darn, now you gave out my hiding place!
grc

Plainwell, MI

#15 Mar 29, 2009
crazy wrote:
if he had $23,000, why was he living in an apartment? Sounds crazy to me
Believe it or not but some people choose to live in apartments, some families choose to live in small houses. It is just a home. A building. As for WHY he had that much cash......

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#16 Mar 29, 2009
WHAT wrote:
who the flip has 23,000.00 in cash AT HOME and 2,500.00 in silver AT HOME sounds fishy too me. INSURANCE SCAM
My daughter and her husband keep about $10,000 worth of gold and silver in their safe, which they keep tightly locked at all times. I personally don't think this is an insurance scam.

Since: Jul 08

Kentwood MI

#17 Mar 29, 2009
Interesting. 15 posts here. the first nine accuse the victim. Assumptions based on absolutely nothing. A sad picture of humanity, indeed.
LC
Grant

Grand Haven, MI

#18 Mar 29, 2009
Ok heres the question of the day.....The dude lives in an apartment, therefore we can assume he has close neighbors, how the hell does anyone "pry" a front door open and remove a window screen without someone noticing? Something is rotten in Denmark.
Doc

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Mar 29, 2009
Assumptions are just that, too bad the majority of the posters think there was something {fishy} about someone having their - stuff - money and other things stolen. It makes us all really look bad as a culture. It may not have occured to anyone, that this person was actually legit in his claim. Win, loose or draw the main focus is that someone was stolen from and now has a door that is damaged and has to go through the process of trying to get things back via insurance who may only pay pennies on the dollar. Whereas the person who now has the stuff is sitting fat and a head of the game. The reporting here also doesn't say if he/she they have children who now have security taken from them due to this break in. --- another sad story of our economic times.

“The state with the other UofM.”

Since: Sep 08

Boston, MA

#20 Mar 29, 2009
3 laptops is not unreasonable. Consider one for yourself from work, one for your spouse from work, and maybe one for one of your kids in school. The cash thing... not likely that much, I agree on the scam thing.. unless it was under a mattress, to avoid the stock market decline, then I give them all the credit in the world for avoiding an investment loss. ;) Insurance will pay face value on collectors coins, but not likely for something like this.

We had a safe stolen from our home in South East GR at one point.. insurance gave me face value on the coin collection, market value on an old comic book (Fantastic 4 edition #1) and a watch that was given to me by my father. None of it or the safe has been seen since it happend in 1999.
Kenneth Lowndes

AOL

#21 Mar 29, 2009
Sounds like DeVos and Company is at it again!
They did this basic same thing to my Family, invading the sanctuary of our home based "business" to STEAL, er, take what was not their's to take, and they certainly had no Lawful permission to be doing the taking.
I truly feel badly for this Family.
DeVos and Company ought to feel inclined to do something positive for this Family.
Just because they can.
Just because it would be the Christian thing for them to do.
It would NOT hurt them to be found doing so!
No obligation for them, no court order, but certainly, they do NOT require such to be found doing good.
Right?
I sure hope and pray that they DO.
To the Glory of God and NOT to the Glory of DeVos!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 1 hr Cmar 991
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 4 hr stewart scott 1,698
Anna's House to open 3rd breakfast restaurant n... 16 hr Cheryl 1
How Liberal Pantywads React To Brain William's ... 23 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) Feb 27 Snowstruck 69
Attorney's shortchanging of State Bar scuttles ... Feb 26 duh 3
MARVIN unemployment service now online (Jan '09) Feb 24 Pissed 173
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]