SOS in Mesa

Tempe, AZ

#23 Apr 19, 2013
W Mich Sucks wrote:
Another beautiful day in this skank city! The leaves aren't even out yet, everything looks so dead and yucky! My car was cover in a layer of snow tonight! Just 20 more days! I can't wait to drive through the Smokies on my way back home, they are sooooo beautiful this time of year!
So you formed your opinion of West Michigan solely on two winters?

You need to stick around long enough to experience the high property taxes, auto insurance premiums and license plate fees to name a few. And you really should be exposed to some of the self righteous Chri$tians in greater Grand Rapids. Then you can go home knowing you made an informed decision.

Since: Mar 13

Grand Rapids, MI

#24 Apr 20, 2013
in your case the grass isn't necessarily greener, just more familiar.

totally understand.

it's like moving into a new neighborhood; you hope for the best but sometimes it doesn't work out, so you move away.

a pain in the butt for sure, but more of a pain if you'd stay.

everyplace has it's positives and negatives.

people and the weather are messy no matter where you go; either too hot or too cold, too wet or too dry.

just be thankful you have the means and where with all to relocate, many people today can't even afford to move to find a job.

good luck to you.
setrlvr

Lake Odessa, MI

#25 Apr 20, 2013
What your dealing with right now is a maturity issue. Insulting Michigan residents before you leave AFTER attending one of our top colleges is pretty childish. There are a lot of people that would trade places with you. If its true that employers look at Facebook posts when hiring ought to help you a whole lot in your search for employment only if your degree was in "Dumbass".
W Mich Sucks

Grand Rapids, MI

#26 Apr 20, 2013
setrlvr wrote:
What your dealing with right now is a maturity issue. Insulting Michigan residents before you leave AFTER attending one of our top colleges is pretty childish. There are a lot of people that would trade places with you. If its true that employers look at Facebook posts when hiring ought to help you a whole lot in your search for employment only if your degree was in "Dumbass".
Its got everything to do with finding my place in the world and I know this isn't it. If this is your place then stay. For me it's very uninspiring and the weather is really depressing. I'm a romantic and need inspiration from my surroundings and through the people I meet. These are supposed to be the best days of my life and I leave here feeling like life is pulling me down, I'm too young to feel that way. Some things have happened during my two years here that I will always associate with this place and not in a good way. The sooner I can get those things behind me the better. I came here with an open mind and optimism and leave bitter and full of pessimism. This isn't who I am.
setrlvr

Lake Odessa, MI

#27 Apr 20, 2013
By all means go find yourself. Life is hard and you seem really ill equipped for reality. Guess what..life isn't always romantic; it's hard and sometimes uninspiring even if you end up in the place you think is better.
setrlvr

Lake Odessa, MI

#28 Apr 20, 2013
Your earlier rhetoric could be the reason your aren't fitting in and want to go home.
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

#29 Apr 21, 2013
Hey, I have to agree with "Sucks" ... as in this weather sucks! I have never seen a Spring like this. Yesterday at 7am I had to chisel ice off my car in a parka with gloves and a hat. It's almost May for pity's sake!
Time for Al "the Earth has a fever" Gore to change his tune again in attempts to try and set up his Global Change carbon tax scam the liberal idiots continue to buy into. The warming thing hasn't exactly worked out so well.

Looks like the weather is going to start to normalize toward next weekend. "Sucks" is going to live up to her name and move out of Michigan just when it's going to get nice :)

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

#30 Apr 21, 2013
W Mich Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
Its got everything to do with finding my place in the world and I know this isn't it. If this is your place then stay. For me it's very uninspiring and the weather is really depressing. I'm a romantic and need inspiration from my surroundings and through the people I meet. These are supposed to be the best days of my life and I leave here feeling like life is pulling me down, I'm too young to feel that way. Some things have happened during my two years here that I will always associate with this place and not in a good way. The sooner I can get those things behind me the better. I came here with an open mind and optimism and leave bitter and full of pessimism. This isn't who I am.
Your incapability to adapt and make the most of your situation and surroundings will probably limit the odds of success in your future.
Unless you are extremely lucky, your post-school final destination in the working world will not necessarily parallel your Georgia root surroundings.
If you fail to take anything positive from your experience in Michigan then you will probably fail to do so anywhere you end up.

Good luck...I think given your negative attitude you and anyone around you is going to need it.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#31 Apr 21, 2013
W Mich Suck wrote:
<quoted text>
It snowed almost every winter where I lived but not on mid April. This winter here has lasted 6 months! And the clouds, its like they're always overhead. This place has got to be the worst! Dreary, cold, windy! Yuck yuck yuck!
If you've been here for two years, you certainly must remember the 70 & 80 degree weather we had back in March of last year.

I can understand having a dislike for snow and cold weather, but just wonder why you would choose to attend college in Michigan?
Didnt you know thats what happens here in winter?
W Mich Sucks

Grand Rapids, MI

#32 Apr 21, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Your incapability to adapt and make the most of your situation and surroundings will probably limit the odds of success in your future.
Unless you are extremely lucky, your post-school final destination in the working world will not necessarily parallel your Georgia root surroundings.
If you fail to take anything positive from your experience in Michigan then you will probably fail to do so anywhere you end up.
Good luck...I think given your negative attitude you and anyone around you is going to need it.
No need to adapt when I can just leave, no one has a gun to my head. So you think I should suffer through two more years and somehow that will increase my odds of success? I've wasted two years of my life already in this intolerant, frigid wasteland. I feel like I've been doing time in prison and have been counting the days until I am released. This place isn't normal! Sand Diego State here I come!
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

#33 Apr 21, 2013
W Mich Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to adapt when I can just leave, no one has a gun to my head. So you think I should suffer through two more years and somehow that will increase my odds of success? I've wasted two years of my life already in this intolerant, frigid wasteland. I feel like I've been doing time in prison and have been counting the days until I am released. This place isn't normal! Sand Diego State here I come!
Good luck in your future endeavors. I hope that San Diego State teaches you how to spell the name of your next college. I also hope that they show you being a professional student isn't an occupation.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#34 Apr 21, 2013
W Mich Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
San Diego State?......Nothing like,$500,000 for a 2/1 fixer-upper....lol....Don't worry, eventually you'll get used to having bars on your windows and doors......Adios....
W Mich Sucks

Grand Rapids, MI

#35 Apr 21, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck in your future endeavors. I hope that San Diego State teaches you how to spell the name of your next college. I also hope that they show you being a professional student isn't an occupation.
I'm a sophomore and I'm 20 years old. Do the math. Hardly a professional student buddy.

Grandville, MI

#36 Apr 21, 2013
W Mich Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
But,......you said you were headed back to Georgia, is that where "Sand Diego State" is?
W Mich Sucks

Grand Rapids, MI

#37 Apr 21, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>San Diego State?......Nothing like,$500,000 for a 2/1 fixer-upper....lol....Don't worry, eventually you'll get used to having bars on your windows and doors......Adios....
Everyone I know was asking me why I chose Grand Rapids and now I know why. The only good place around here is Chicago and that's 3 hours away. I've been to Detroit for a basketball game and ugggg that place is like being in an apocalyptic movie! I have a aunt who lives in San Diego and she doesn't have bars on her windows and doors. Things are more expensive there because people actually want to live there, unlike this place. You can buy a 2 bedroom home in this dump for $30,000. That's hardly a reason to want to live here. I would probably end up in central California if I decided to stay in Cali when I'm done with school.
W Mich Sucks

Grand Rapids, MI

#38 Apr 21, 2013
Gville Jim wrote:
<quoted text>But,......you said you were headed back to Georgia, is that where "Sand Diego State" is?
I'm going home for the summer moron.

Grandville, MI

#39 Apr 21, 2013
W Mich Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going home for the summer moron.
Nice.
I tried to be nice to you, and I really can understand hoe you feal about Michigan, and it's seasons, and then you resort to name calling.
It's probably best that you leave!
We dont really need your kind around here.
You've probably never even taken the time to drive up north, to places like Traverse City, Petosky, or even the U.P. have you?
You are judging the whole state on your bad experience at a community college in down town GR.
Good luck at Sand Diego!
Rob

United States

#40 Apr 21, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. I needed to hear that. You are 100% correct. I dont fit in well anywhere and trolling Topix is my only outlet.

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

#41 Apr 21, 2013
W Mich Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
"No need to adapt when I can just leave"

What happens one day when leaving is not an option??

Never mind...you are too young to comprehend my question and lack any life experience to realize the consequences of making the wrong choice.

Good luck in San Diego...it's not going to be the cake and ice cream you believe it to be.
W Mich Sucks

Grand Rapids, MI

#42 Apr 21, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
"No need to adapt when I can just leave"
What happens one day when leaving is not an option??
Never mind...you are too young to comprehend my question and lack any life experience to realize the consequences of making the wrong choice.
Good luck in San Diego...it's not going to be the cake and ice cream you believe it to be.
That makes no sense. In this case I have a choice. I spent two years here and hated it and now have a chance to transfer to a better part of the country. Life's way too short to waste your time in a place that doesn't inspire you or that you don't like. I may be young but I've figured that much out. And how can you say that this is the wrong choice? You know nothing about my circumstances. At least in SD I have some family. My aunt and cousins live about 20 minutes from campus. I've spent a lot of time there while growing up. Wrong choice? LOL! Over what, Grand Rapids? I could probably throw a dart at a map and end up in a better place than Grand Rapids!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 5 hr Buffalo Bull 1,480
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 9 hr cnreadle 974
sony balony 23 hr kookierecluse 4
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... Fri DrX 54
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways Fri Really 18
3 reasons Grand Rapids-area Muslims want to ope... Thu tom_ 21
City of Pentecost Christmas program Thu COP OUTREACH 1
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Updated Rankings for Sunday's Action
Bleacher Report 6:02 AM
The Coach That Could Turn Around Bears
Bleacher Report11:28 AM
Jay Cutler Rumors: Latest Details, Speculation on Bears QB's Future
NBC Sports12:33 PM
1 thing even Rahm can't fix: Da Bears - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler