Foreclosures and poor economy affect ...

Foreclosures and poor economy affect West Michigan pets

There are 32 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Mar 13, 2008, titled Foreclosures and poor economy affect West Michigan pets. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Puggley is a sheltie mix who needs a home. "The owner was homeless for about a year off and on and finally was able to take some residence but unfortunately could not keep Puggley," said Tabitha Yuhas, program ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#22 Mar 14, 2008
Save Michigan!

Adopt A Turtle Week!
May 12th - 16th
Applications will be accepted from 9am-5pm at the New MDOT Traveling Circus and Sideshow on the corner of US 31 and M120. Bring Proof of residency, annual income and a short (200 words or less) essay alluding to "Why I Love Michigan".

Note: Sodium Chloride donations will be accepted in lieu of "Proof of Income.
Sensible in Montcalm

Cleveland, OH

#23 Mar 14, 2008
Redbaron wrote:
<quoted text>
A "dog tax", isn't that why legit people buy their dogs licenses every year?? Its like trying to catch illegal immigrants, try and catch someone with an illegal/unlicensed dog, there aren't enough staff working at humane society or county animal control offices to support these types of operations.
Yes, I agree with you, and yes a license fee is meant to fund the shelter, but that just doesn't bring in enough to cover the expenses for the number of animals that end up in there. Have you been to a shelter lately? Way too many dogs, and many of them are purebred. In order to stop the cycle we really need to control breeding, and educate people on responsible ownership. It seems that every bred has it's own rescue center, plus we have dog pounds, and humane society shelters....when is enough going to be enough? I have two dogs, both from a rescue center, and both fixed, and neither has spent any time on a chain.

“Common sense RULES ”

Since: Sep 07

West Michigan

#24 Mar 16, 2008
Sensible in Montcalm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree with you, and yes a license fee is meant to fund the shelter, but that just doesn't bring in enough to cover the expenses for the number of animals that end up in there. Have you been to a shelter lately? Way too many dogs, and many of them are purebred. In order to stop the cycle we really need to control breeding, and educate people on responsible ownership. It seems that every bred has it's own rescue center, plus we have dog pounds, and humane society shelters....when is enough going to be enough? I have two dogs, both from a rescue center, and both fixed, and neither has spent any time on a chain.
We can't seem to be able to control responsible breeding in human beings, how are we supposed to do this for dogs & cats?? I figure my next animal will be adopted from a shelter. Have a black lab that is 14 years old, and he is getting in pretty rough shape. My dog/cats are also fixed. Cats stay indoors, and dog has a fenced yard where he can roam, never been on a chain either.
jaden roze

Grand Rapids, MI

#25 Mar 16, 2008
tampabay wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe you should get rid of the internet,And give that exrta money to the third world!
Have to agree if you want to complain about how much people spend on feeding their animals get rid of your internet. I know my internet cost me more a month than feeding my 3 dogs and a cat.

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

#26 Mar 16, 2008
snomad wrote:
Save Michigan!
Adopt A Turtle Week!
May 12th - 16th
Applications will be accepted from 9am-5pm at the New MDOT Traveling Circus and Sideshow on the corner of US 31 and M120. Bring Proof of residency, annual income and a short (200 words or less) essay alluding to "Why I Love Michigan".
Tee hee hee! Funny!!!

Since: Jan 08

Auburn

#27 Mar 16, 2008
My husband got our dog from a shelter (he was abused):( and I literally save this cat, he was in the corn field and homelsss. It is a good idea to donate if you are able to. I usually donate at least a buck every time I go to the pet store. But I still have yet to donate to the local humane society. I donate to a lot of diff things like the State Police, fire dept. and the homeless shelter. I know that is getting a little off the subject here, but if people are able, it's good to donate to special causes.

BTW, our dog is Lab/Shar Pei mix,not too many of those around, but he is cute! Thanks for sharing your story.
Josh-Grand Rapids wrote:
My parents and Me combined we have rescued 5 animals. Mine include an all black cat that I have had for 4 years now and I love her so much. As well as an American Pitbull Terrier, her name is Angel and I put her through obiedience training, and she is the most loving laziest dog I have ever had lol. My parents rescued one cat and 2 dogs, a chiuaua-wiener mix and a Shar-Pei. I grew up to love animals, I would NEVER be able to surrender my pets, however after reading this story I might have to donate some of my tax return to the Humane Society instead of adopting another one lol. < Good idea for you too Purplizzy!! Thanks for being a responsible pet owner as well!

Since: Aug 07

Greater Grand Rapids

#28 Mar 16, 2008
snomad wrote:
Save Michigan!
Adopt A Turtle Week!
May 12th - 16th
shoot! Warn me to pee before I read next time.

Since: Mar 08

Mission, KS

#29 Mar 20, 2008
[QUOTE who="purplizzy" BTW, our dog is Lab/Shar Pei mix,not too many of those around, but he is cute! Thanks for sharing your story.
<quoted text>[/QUOTE]

Lab/Shar-Pei! You might have one of the most loyal dogs there are! I love shar-pei's there an enlarged verson of a pug, lol. Does he burp, fart, and fall off furniture as well? S-P's can have a very funny and unique personality.

Since: Mar 08

Mission, KS

#30 Mar 20, 2008
sry I sad F.art!
Lindsay Hobson

UK

#31 Apr 17, 2008
I am looking for people that have been forced to live in their cars because of foreclosure. We are doing a story on Public Radio in NYC and if you would like to talk with us (anonymous is fine) email me at [email protected]

Since: Aug 07

Greater Grand Rapids

#32 Apr 17, 2008
Lindsay Hobson wrote:
I am looking for people that have been forced to live in their cars because of foreclosure. We are doing a story on Public Radio in NYC and if you would like to talk with us (anonymous is fine) email me at [email protected]
She really thinks that people living in their cars will have internet access? How are they going to read this?

“Don't touch my junk man!”

Since: Nov 07

Middle of the Mitten, Michigan

#33 Apr 17, 2008
welcome to GR wrote:
<quoted text>
She really thinks that people living in their cars will have internet access? How are they going to read this?
LMAO! There are a lot of super bright people in this world! ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truly Disturbing Racism and The Silence That Fo... 1 hr Gville Jim 12
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 1 hr Gville Jim 1,143
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jan 15 T-Man 2,823
News Donald Trump defends use of "sch****ed" against... (Dec '15) Jan 14 MrsMrs90 89
Does anyone know why the Chez Ami Bowling alley... (Sep '14) Jan 14 MrsMrs90 6
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Jan 14 MrsMrs90 613
Is Obama a hypocrite? Jan 13 Gville Jim 49

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages