Foreclosures and poor economy affect ...

Foreclosures and poor economy affect West Michigan pets

There are 32 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Mar 13, 2008, titled Foreclosures and poor economy affect West Michigan pets. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Puggley is a sheltie mix who needs a home. "The owner was homeless for about a year off and on and finally was able to take some residence but unfortunately could not keep Puggley," said Tabitha Yuhas, program ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#1 Mar 14, 2008
I hate this. It's not right. If we lost our home, we would do everything in our power to keep our pets, even if it meant living in a car with them. It's not their fault!

This actually makes me cry

Since: Mar 08

Rockford, MI

#2 Mar 14, 2008
Lucy in Rockford wrote:
I hate this. It's not right. If we lost our home, we would do everything in our power to keep our pets, even if it meant living in a car with them. It's not their fault!
Im with you Lucy, I wonder where they come up with that much money for 30 days? It doesnt cost that much to feed my two dogs. I know the cost of housing,wages.But that amount times the amount of dogs there is allot of money per month. I sure wish we could help out ,but we have all we can do the the vet Bills from our Boxer who has health issues. This is so sad.
Clarence

Baldwinsville, NY

#3 Mar 14, 2008
I welcome a reduction in the number of dogs in our society. The amount of money people spend on animals could feed a third world country.

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

#4 Mar 14, 2008
This is so sad. For most pet owners, giving up your pet is like giving up a family member. Can you imagine having to give your kids up for adoption because you can't feed them? Especially due to things that are beyond our control.(economy, job loss, foreclosure, bankruptcy, etc.)

So so sad! Just heartbreaking!
Marilyn

Carson City, MI

#5 Mar 14, 2008
Clarence wrote:
I welcome a reduction in the number of dogs in our society. The amount of money people spend on animals could feed a third world country.
Obviously you are not a pet lover. It costs us as much to feed our pets as it does for us to eat but I would not change that for the world. Our pets are all unwanted or rescued and give us much love and are very affectionate. They are worth everything we spend on them. By the way, we support our local food bank financially. We need to feed our own people rather than a third world.
maa

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Mar 14, 2008
How sad for those families and the pets. I have two rescued very large dogs. Yes, they cost me, but they are members of my family. There are definately people who don't understand and tell me they are just a "dog". Hopefully, these pets can find homes!
Sensible in Montcalm

Cleveland, OH

#7 Mar 14, 2008
With such a sad outcome in store for many family pets, shouldn't it be time to look at the uncontrolled breeding done in Michigan? So many people here use breeding as a way to make some quick and easy money, costing all of us in the long run. If we can't even take care of the pets we have then why do we continue to allow new ones to be made? There should be breeding licenses required to offset the cost, and misery of dealing with unwanted, abused and abandoned pets. There should also be pet education classes in our schools, teaching owner responsibility, and care. Too many pets spend miserable, isolated lives due to owner ignorance. Chained to a plastic, non-insulated crate, or enclosed in a chain link kennel - no shade, no cover on a bare concrete pad. Ignorance is cruelty in these cases.

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#8 Mar 14, 2008
Clarence wrote:
Yeah, third world countries that will all want to come back and kill us in 20 years or so. Good idea. I would rather feed my animals. Before we feed some other country we need to address these issues in our own first.
great

United States

#9 Mar 14, 2008
Sensible in Montcalm wrote:
With such a sad outcome in store for many family pets, shouldn't it be time to look at the uncontrolled breeding done in Michigan? So many people here use breeding as a way to make some quick and easy money, costing all of us in the long run. If we can't even take care of the pets we have then why do we continue to allow new ones to be made? There should be breeding licenses required to offset the cost, and misery of dealing with unwanted, abused and abandoned pets. There should also be pet education classes in our schools, teaching owner responsibility, and care. Too many pets spend miserable, isolated lives due to owner ignorance. Chained to a plastic, non-insulated crate, or enclosed in a chain link kennel - no shade, no cover on a bare concrete pad. Ignorance is cruelty in these cases.
goes for some people too.

Rockford, MI

#10 Mar 14, 2008
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you are not a pet lover. It costs us as much to feed our pets as it does for us to eat but I would not change that for the world. Our pets are all unwanted or rescued and give us much love and are very affectionate. They are worth everything we spend on them. By the way, we support our local food bank financially. We need to feed our own people rather than a third world.
I couldnt agree with you more! Our pets earn there keep,they alarm us at night if anybody is around the house,they bark when our battiers went low in our fire alarms,I know they would wake us to to a fire.There worth every penny we spend on them.And we also support Mel trotter,food banks.we help here at home before the third world.

Rockford, MI

#11 Mar 14, 2008
Clarence wrote:
Maybe you should get rid of the internet,And give that exrta money to the third world!
Clarence

Baldwinsville, NY

#13 Mar 14, 2008
I stand by my position on dogs but I agree that we need to feed the hungry who live in our communities as well as in other parts of the world.
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Jan 08

Auburn

#14 Mar 14, 2008
I know, there are some people that don't deserve to have pets. Every day I drive by this house and the dog is chained up to a dog house. That is his life, he doesn't ever go inside. Why have pets if you are going to keep them chained up their whole life? It really bothers me. Both of ours are inside and are neutered.
Sensible in Montcalm wrote:

Auburn

#15 Mar 14, 2008
It makes me very sad too. I love animals and I am thinking about adopting another one. I posted about driving by this poor dog chained up all the time, but I also drive by the shelter everyday on my way to work and it takes everything not to stop in there and adopt a pet! I know if I do stop, I will bring one home.
Lucy in Rockford wrote:
Rachel

Baldwinsville, NY

#16 Mar 14, 2008
I think that there should be limits on the numbers of dogs and strict controls on them. A dog tax would provide the funds necessary to fund the controls and the costs associated with disposal of unwanted dogs.

Mission, KS

#17 Mar 14, 2008
My parents and Me combined we have rescued 5 animals. Mine include an all black cat that I have had for 4 years now and I love her so much. As well as an American Pitbull Terrier, her name is Angel and I put her through obiedience training, and she is the most loving laziest dog I have ever had lol. My parents rescued one cat and 2 dogs, a chiuaua-wiener mix and a Shar-Pei. I grew up to love animals, I would NEVER be able to surrender my pets, however after reading this story I might have to donate some of my tax return to the Humane Society instead of adopting another one lol. < Good idea for you too Purplizzy!! Thanks for being a responsible pet owner as well!

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#18 Mar 14, 2008
Rachel wrote:
I think that there should be limits on the numbers of dogs and strict controls on them. A dog tax would provide the funds necessary to fund the controls and the costs associated with disposal of unwanted dogs.
A "dog tax", isn't that why legit people buy their dogs licenses every year?? Its like trying to catch illegal immigrants, try and catch someone with an illegal/unlicensed dog, there aren't enough staff working at humane society or county animal control offices to support these types of operations.
whatever

Milwaukee, WI

#19 Mar 14, 2008
Two cats, both from shelters. One I have had for 13 years the other I have had 3 months. The latter replaced our 11 year old long haired orange male "Charlie" who passed away last summer from kidney problems. Fixed and indoor only. Unconditional love. They sleep on our bed every night. There is no way I would ever turn them over to a shelter, for any reason.

I feel sorry for people who dont have or want animals. They give so much and expect so little in return.
Jamie B

Marion, IN

#20 Mar 14, 2008
Redbaron wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, third world countries that will all want to come back and kill us in 20 years or so. Good idea. I would rather feed my animals. Before we feed some other country we need to address these issues in our own first.
for helping feed them at that!

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#21 Mar 14, 2008
Many of these people have no choice in the matter. If you lose your home and are forced to move into a rental unit, try to find one that will allow pets. They are few and far between. I dare say that in many cases the choice came down to keep the pets or feed the kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 16 hr a commenter 1,189
Warning: *****Mutt & Jeff Painting is a scam Fri Mark 1
Local News Women (Apr '09) Fri WMNewsFan 3,023
News 1 dead in York Creek Apt shooting (Sep '08) Fri lick 357
White women are the biggest hypocrites. Sep 14 Real Deal 4
White males are weak. Sep 14 Real Deal 4
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Sep 13 Marlene K 17

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages