Betty Ford has died. Do you care?

Betty Ford has died. Do you care?

Created by Media circus on Jul 9, 2011

389 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes, I am completely distraught and am grieving

No

Who?

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#42 Jul 19, 2011
Sharon wrote:
<quoted text>
As for her support of abortion, she was a huge abortion supporter.[/quote]

She was widely known as an advocate for PRO-CHOICE. There is a difference.

[quote] As a woman, I fail to see the link between abortion and the so-called "Women's rights movement" as you have labeled it. I don't consider giving women the right to kill their own unborn child as having anything to do with "women's rights." Women who do not want children already have reproductive freedom - it's called abstaining from sexual activity. Why should a child have to die just so that you can satisfy your sexual urges? As a taxpayer, I refuse to pay for your irresponsible behavior.
Your are obviously vehemently anti-abortion and are entitled to your view but I believe it clouds your judgment of Mrs. Ford's overall contributions to women and women's rights.
SOS in Rockford

Broadview, IL

#43 Jul 19, 2011
say what wrote:
<quoted text>
She has been quoted as saying that she wouldn't be surprised if her children had smoked marijuana and if she was their age, she'd probably try it, too. Sounds pretty supportive of recreatinal use to me. Of course, that was during a time when she was addicted to drugs and alcohol herself.
She was simply speaking the truth. Try it some time, it won't even hurt, I promise.
say what

Grand Rapids, MI

#44 Jul 19, 2011
abranger wrote:
I don't interpret that paraphrase as advocacy for recreational drug use by any stretch. But I can see where most of the Marijuana rights advocates on this forum would think so.
I'm about as far from Marijuana rights advocate as a person could get and I take it that way. C'mon...she was saying she'd probably try it herself if she had been their age which I take to mean she didn't have a problem with people smoking it.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#45 Jul 20, 2011
Sharon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the poster below your post has adequately backed up my statement on Betty Ford's support for recreational drug use. Just Google Betty Ford and drug use and you will have a wealth of sources to back this up.
As for her support of abortion, she was a huge abortion supporter. This is also a fact. As a woman, I fail to see the link between abortion and the so-called "Women's rights movement" as you have labeled it. I don't consider giving women the right to kill their own unborn child as having anything to do with "women's rights." Women who do not want children already have reproductive freedom - it's called abstaining from sexual activity. Why should a child have to die just so that you can satisfy your sexual urges? As a taxpayer, I refuse to pay for your irresponsible behavior.
Pretty narrow interpretation of what she said and did, don't you think???? As for her being a "huge abortion supporter", I don't interpret her thought process that way. What she and Gerald Ford BOTH said, I think, was that it should be a state issue, not a federal one. Now, if you truly want to be a Betty Ford hater, then I suppose you could interpret that as "a huge abortion supporter". As for the "Women's Rights Movement", there were rights that you wouldn't have today if not for that movement and they involve MUCH more than abortion. I don't agree with abortion either, but, for crying out loud, be more than a 1 issue person, please.

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#47 Jul 20, 2011
say what wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm about as far from Marijuana rights advocate as a person could get and I take it that way. C'mon...she was saying she'd probably try it herself if she had been their age which I take to mean she didn't have a problem with people smoking it.
You know darn well she was speaking to young peoples' propensity to try things forbidden to them or things their peers are doing. That doesn't mean she was advocating it's continued and ongoing use. You read way too much into her comments.
Dominic

Aurora, CO

#48 Jul 20, 2011
abranger wrote:
<quoted text>
You know darn well she was speaking to young peoples' propensity to try things forbidden to them or things their peers are doing. That doesn't mean she was advocating it's continued and ongoing use. You read way too much into her comments.
No, you're wrong. She supported recreational drug use. She was a poor parent and a poor role model for young people.

“Lost in the middle somewhere..”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#49 Jul 20, 2011
Dominic wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're wrong. She supported recreational drug use. She was a poor parent and a poor role model for young people.
So someone who was human and suffered from the disease of addiction and was able to beat it and then spend years helping others beat their addictions and become whole, productive, stand-up citizens is a poor role model for young people? I respectfully disagree.

She spent much of her life fighting to help others. I could only hope that any of my children would give so much of themselves to help others.
Dominic

Aurora, CO

#50 Jul 20, 2011
-LMS- wrote:
<quoted text>
So someone who was human and suffered from the disease of addiction and was able to beat it and then spend years helping others beat their addictions and become whole, productive, stand-up citizens is a poor role model for young people? I respectfully disagree.
She spent much of her life fighting to help others. I could only hope that any of my children would give so much of themselves to help others.
Please spare us all of this "addiction is a disease" nonsense. Maybe if someone robs a bank, they could then use that excuse in court - "I became addicted to bank robbery, I need treatment, not prison."

Addiction is a choice. I am not saying that the woman was the most evil person in America, but I am saying that she is not this wonderful person that some are making her out to be. Making excuses for addictions leads to a perpetual cycle of more addiction.

And I certainly don't think young people should be encouraged to "experiment" with recreational drugs. That's how addictions start.

Betty Ford was probably a very nice person who at the same time was very WRONG in her conclusions about what kind of behavior ought to be acceptable for young people. She would have been better off saying "Just Say NO" to drugs instead of saying "it's OK to experiment, because if you become addicted you can just come to my clinic and there will be hope for you."

People who say NO to drugs from the very beginning never become addicted to them.
Dominic

Aurora, CO

#51 Jul 20, 2011
abranger wrote:
<quoted text>
You know darn well she was speaking to young peoples' propensity to try things forbidden to them or things their peers are doing. That doesn't mean she was advocating it's continued and ongoing use. You read way too much into her comments.
So you would let your kids experiment with bank robbery or jumping off a bridge, so long as they didn't do it on a continued or ongoing basis. At what point would you draw the line and say they shouldn't continue? When they turn 30? 40?

A lot of kids end up with train-wreck personal lives because their parents don't have the guts to say no. They are too busy trying to be friends with their kids instead of parents.

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#52 Jul 20, 2011
Dominic wrote:
<quoted text>
So you would let your kids experiment with bank robbery or jumping off a bridge, so long as they didn't do it on a continued or ongoing basis. At what point would you draw the line and say they shouldn't continue? When they turn 30? 40?
A lot of kids end up with train-wreck personal lives because their parents don't have the guts to say no. They are too busy trying to be friends with their kids instead of parents.
Your analogies are stupid and you missed the whole point but I'm glad you are the perfect parent with perfect kids...good for you.
say what

Detroit, MI

#53 Jul 20, 2011
Dominic wrote:
<quoted text>
Please spare us all of this "addiction is a disease" nonsense.
Please spare us your ignorance on the topic.
Fran

Grand Rapids, MI

#54 Jul 20, 2011
abranger wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analogies are stupid and you missed the whole point but I'm glad you are the perfect parent with perfect kids...good for you.
Well the guy has a good point, and I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars paying for your kids to go to drug rehab all because you refuse to do your job as a parent.

You have no point, so I'm not surprised people missed it.
Fran

Grand Rapids, MI

#55 Jul 20, 2011
say what wrote:
<quoted text>
Please spare us your ignorance on the topic.
What makes you an expert? Just because it's fashionable right now for people to say that their addiction is a disease in order to excuse their behavior?

Addiction is a choice, not a disease.
Fran

Grand Rapids, MI

#56 Jul 20, 2011
abranger wrote:
<quoted text>
Please back up with facts your statement that she supported or advocated recreational drug use. Also, her stance on abortion was more pro-choice than pro-abortion and Sharon, if you are indeed a woman, you should be thankful to her for what she did for the Woman's Rights movement.
There is zero difference between being "Pro-Choice" and pro-abortion. They are one in the same. Can you be "pro-choice" on slavery? Saying I personally wouldn't choose to own slaves, but others should have the right to own slaves if they want?

"Pro-choice" is just a cop-out for people who know deep down that abortion is murder but want to find a way to absolve themselves from appearing to be complicit in such an act.
say what

Grand Rapids, MI

#57 Jul 20, 2011
Fran wrote:
What makes you an expert?
Going out on a limb here, but education and experience in the field? How about you?
say what

Grand Rapids, MI

#58 Jul 20, 2011
Fran wrote:
Just because it's fashionable right now for people to say that their addiction is a disease in order to excuse their behavior?
Addiction is a choice, not a disease.
Calling addiciton a disease is not an excuse, it's an explanation for what is going on with that individual from a biological standpoint. Like it or not, there are medical and biological aspects to addiction as well as psychological ones (I suppose you think that depression is also not a disease/illness and it's just all in people's heads?). The addict is and should be held accountable for their behavior and their choices but nobody chooses to become an addict; that's the disease aspect of addiction. I have yet to meet an addict who says they woke up one morning or went to a party one night and decided to become an addict becuase that sounded like a great idea and a fun thing to do with their life. Chosing to remain actively addicted and use your drug of choice once you realize you are and addict, on the other hand, is a choice.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#59 Jul 20, 2011
Fran wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you an expert? Just because it's fashionable right now for people to say that their addiction is a disease in order to excuse their behavior?
Addiction is a choice, not a disease.
And you have this knowledge how???? Addiction is a disease, staying addicted once you realize the addiction is a choice. But please, don't read up on it, just pontificate and slam those who have some knowledge.
Pops

Aurora, CO

#60 Jul 20, 2011
The Real Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>And you have this knowledge how???? Addiction is a disease, staying addicted once you realize the addiction is a choice. But please, don't read up on it, just pontificate and slam those who have some knowledge.
OK Sandy, so let me make sure I understand what you are saying to Fran here. What if I am addicted to shoplifting, like kleptomania or whatever they call it. Are you saying I should not be prosecuted, because it's not my choice? I was "born" with this addiction? It's genetic?

If I have a shoplifting addiction, then to put me in jail for my disease would be cruel. Give me treatment instead, right?

I'm sorry, but I agree with Fran. Just because people have addictions doesn't give them the excuse to escape the consequences of their actions. You sound like one of these people who started subscribing to all this nonsense that started around the time of the Ford era when people started to make excuses for everything and not be held accountable for their actions, because it was fashionable to make excuses.

“Russian ties?”

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#61 Jul 20, 2011
Whats really funny is that all of these folks on here who are cutting Betty Ford down for the problems she had, and faced, and actually did something about. They dont even mention any of the "Hollywood" actors, and democrats that have been through her clinic's for help.
I guess thats different when democrats have problems like Mrs. Ford had.
Paris Hilton just checked into on, she's a die hard Obama supporter, Do we need to mention Lindsay Lohan, another die hard Obama supporter?
I think it's called hypocrisy!
Maybe someone should start a clinic for that!
If it wasnt for Betty Ford, what clinic's would these Obama supporting liberal's check into?

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#62 Jul 21, 2011
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Sandy, so let me make sure I understand what you are saying to Fran here. What if I am addicted to shoplifting, like kleptomania or whatever they call it. Are you saying I should not be prosecuted, because it's not my choice? I was "born" with this addiction? It's genetic?
If I have a shoplifting addiction, then to put me in jail for my disease would be cruel. Give me treatment instead, right?
I'm sorry, but I agree with Fran. Just because people have addictions doesn't give them the excuse to escape the consequences of their actions. You sound like one of these people who started subscribing to all this nonsense that started around the time of the Ford era when people started to make excuses for everything and not be held accountable for their actions, because it was fashionable to make excuses.
Hi Pops, no you don't understand what I said to Fran. I didn't mention accountability at all since neither did she. But, now that you mention it? Yes, people with addictions need to be held accountable for their actions. That actually goes hand in hand with the choice I spoke of. My former husband was an alcoholic from age 15. He didn't go through dry out until he was in his 30's. He went through dryout and realized his addiction and remained a recovering alcoholic until his death. I have other friends who are recovering alcoholics and they will be the first to tell you that the first step in recovery is realizing your addiction and then holding yourself accountable for what you do. So, no,I am not one of the "feel good" people you speak of. In fact, my stand on holding people accountable for their actions, not just addicts, but everyone, has been made well known. The difference between Fran and I is I give Betty Ford credit for dealing with her addictions and making them public and moving forward. Everyone deserves a second chance, Pops, even addicts and recovering addicts. That also is a choice, whether to give someone another chance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 3 hr Yo Just Me Here 1,231
Making Abortion Illegal 3 hr Yo Just Me Here 1
Local News Women (Apr '09) Sat WMNewslover 3,330
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Apr 20 Selph 57
News WZZM13 - Teacher accused of molesting several y... (Jun '07) Apr 12 Thankful 20
News Missing Constantine girl found dead in cemetery (Nov '07) Apr 9 ghost 148
Bridge Card (Apr '09) Apr 1 Boldly Go 143

Grand Rapids Jobs

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages