Overnight shooting in Grand Rapids le...

Overnight shooting in Grand Rapids leads to crash

There are 24 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 31, 2008, titled Overnight shooting in Grand Rapids leads to crash. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

A busy night for Grand Rapids police included a shooting overnight Saturday. The shooting happened at around 2:20 a.m. Grand Rapids police say a man was shot in the neck while in his car at the intersection of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

RCE

“RCE”

Since: Jun 07

Grand Rapids

#24 May 31, 2008
Just a little comparison between Grand Rapids and Muskegon. Notice that there are about 150,000 more people living in Grand Rapids then in Muskegon. I personally have never seen a part of Muskegon that was beautiful or worth going to twice. If you don't like Grand Rapids then stay in Muskegon. Don't use our concert venues, restaurants, parks, shopping, museums, hospitals. You get the idea. There is a lot that Grand Rapids has to offer. Just like any other big city there is going to bad along with a lot of good

2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Grand Rapids, MI Muskegon, MI National

Murder: 11.4 2.5 7
Forcible Rape: 33.63 130.59 32.2
Robbery: 362.1 253.6 205.8
Aggravated Assault:587.7 735.8 336.5
Burglary: 1285.1 1137.6 813.2
Larceny Theft: 3581 5143.1 2601.7
Vehicle Theft: 360.6 426.9 501.5

Actual Reported Population and Crimes:
Grand Rapids, MI Muskegon, MI
Population: 193,297 39,820
Murder: 22 1
Forcible Rape: 65 52
Robbery: 700 101
Aggravated Assault: 1136 293
Burglary: 2484 453
Larceny Theft: 6922 2048
Vehicle Theft: 697 170

“What's Up?”

Since: Jan 08

Coopersville

#25 May 31, 2008
Gotta love how they are comparing Grand Rapids and Muskegon....apples to apples!! Sheesh, its all about the news media and how much coverage it all gets is all........
Anyhow

Salt Lake City, UT

#26 May 31, 2008
There is a big misconception going on here. Grand Rapids is a crap hole. Yes!!! But, it also has many fine people who did not ask for this kind of publicity. I do not live in G.R. now and have not for many years but I have friends and family there and they are fine, upstanding citizens. Let me tell you it is not only the Southeast side of G.R. that has been infiltrated with trashy people and they are not all African American. There are plenty of white trash people in G.R.,mexican trash in G.R., and other trash forms in G.R.
The problem seems to be the media! They glorify the evils of society instead of the great things that are happening. Like another person said you won't see it on the news if kids get an "A" for the whole year or perfect attendance. You never see the stories of people doing good things just the bad things. What is wrong with this picture??????
Maybe our lovely media sources should be more in tune to letting people know about all the good things that happen rather than constantly sensationalizing the bad. It would be a welcome change and maybe just maybe if the media could start then others would follow and people would not see the world as a toilet and stop treating it as such.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#28 Jun 1, 2008
Anyhow wrote:
There is a big misconception going on here. Grand Rapids is a crap hole. Yes!!! But, it also has many fine people who did not ask for this kind of publicity. I do not live in G.R. now and have not for many years but I have friends and family there and they are fine, upstanding citizens. Let me tell you it is not only the Southeast side of G.R. that has been infiltrated with trashy people and they are not all African American. There are plenty of white trash people in G.R.,mexican trash in G.R., and other trash forms in G.R.
The problem seems to be the media! They glorify the evils of society instead of the great things that are happening. Like another person said you won't see it on the news if kids get an "A" for the whole year or perfect attendance. You never see the stories of people doing good things just the bad things. What is wrong with this picture??????
Maybe our lovely media sources should be more in tune to letting people know about all the good things that happen rather than constantly sensationalizing the bad. It would be a welcome change and maybe just maybe if the media could start then others would follow and people would not see the world as a toilet and stop treating it as such.
It's not just the media. They are reacting to the public. Every time WZZM has a positive story on Topix, there are people posting asking "why is this news". The media reacts to that. In the case of TV, their ratings go up when they have a sensational story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'The fight is absolutely on' 9 hr MO_EATS_DUNGS 5
Local News Women (Apr '09) 14 hr BorculoDad 2,777
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Dec 5 a commenter 1,131
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... Dec 4 Cuddles6778 284
So glad Hillary is not President Dec 1 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 9
Amway Fireworks (May '09) Nov 29 Amwaysux 88
News WZZM13 - Holland Police looking for non-custodi... (May '07) Nov 27 TRUTH 22

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages