Unemployment center swamped with calls

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

As Michigan's unemployment numbers continue to rise, 24 Hour News 8 continues to hear from people having problems receiving their benefits.
Comments
141 - 156 of 156 Comments Last updated Jan 2, 2014
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“I type words about stuff.”

Since: Feb 09

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

I have been a landscaper and snow plower for 13 years. I've had to file for unemployment every winter to make up for the times when we don't get alot of snow. Not much has changed in 13 years. Marvin is alright as long as you get the questions right and if you don't and have to wait on hold for an hour to talk with a representative that is pissed off at the world.... or just me for calling them at their work....which if you are an unemployment rep. you should be giddy as a school girl to have a secure job.

So to all who are going through hard times, my heart goes out to you, but for over a decade I have been calling in the winter in my down time and they still have a frustrating and confusing system. So with the floods of people who are losing their jobs things are only going to get even more frustrating and confusing.
Jonathan

Peoria, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2009

I have been unemployed since last year. I can use some of those money to payoff my past due debt. No company want to hire me because of my credit history. It is getting so frustrating when my family is struggling everyday. I feel like beating a shit out every Republicans I encounter!

If I ever see McCain & his family in my town, I will spit on his face!
krtnews

Allendale, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2009

I just joined the ranks of the unemployment today. I just can't wait to get in line with the rest of everyone having so much fun. THAT IS SARCASUM. I have felt for everyone looking for one, because I was just there just under one year, and I'm back on the ride. Not sure what we are going to do. It will be interesting.
Tee76

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

Finally got through after over a month of calling, when i asked about my case and why i haven't recieved any money yet i was told and i quote " Call back in a week or two, we're pretty behind right now"

Seriously? call back!! God only knows when i do call back if i will be able to get through or if i'll be on the phone everyday for a month again trying to get some help. This is ridiculous, when you get through they should help you then and there, not make you go back to square one and wait all over again.I'm at a lost for words as to how ignorant and heartless the unemployment office is.Just call back? Wow thanks for your help and concern.
cynical

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

Tee76 wrote:
Finally got through after over a month of calling, when i asked about my case and why i haven't recieved any money yet i was told and i quote " Call back in a week or two, we're pretty behind right now"
Seriously? call back!! God only knows when i do call back if i will be able to get through or if i'll be on the phone everyday for a month again trying to get some help. This is ridiculous, when you get through they should help you then and there, not make you go back to square one and wait all over again.I'm at a lost for words as to how ignorant and heartless the unemployment office is.Just call back? Wow thanks for your help and concern.
I got through in 7 minutes today. Never taken me longer than 20 minutes. Maybe you are just really bad at dialing.

“DISALLUSIONED!”

Since: Jan 09

Scotts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2009

cynical wrote:
<quoted text>
I got through in 7 minutes today. Never taken me longer than 20 minutes. Maybe you are just really bad at dialing.
Takes less than a minute with MARVIN on-line. Used it twice now and have not had a problem

“DISALLUSIONED!”

Since: Jan 09

Scotts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2009

Mr W wrote:
I think I only have a balance of 3 weeks left on my unemployment which I'm very greatful for. I haven't had a "job" since 2007 and I have received two extensions since then. I can't even complain because it's a blessing that I'm able to receive these funds so far after I've been out of work.
*just got thru to Marvin*
It's 8:53, so I was calling 53 minutes, perhaps 15-25 times before I got through. I'm worried, not for myself, because I know how to get out there and make money, but for my fellow citizens with children that need to pay their rent/mortgage and utilities. I've decided not to even file for some benefits just because I'm not as in need as most in these tough times.
Standing in those LONG lines isn't so bad when you think about it though. You go to work for 8 hours or more per day anyway, just think of it as getting paid to stand in line for a day or two. You're still getting paid to do....NOTHING. It's not Marvin's fault that we're unemployed and need assistance, nor is it the states. Some of us made these dire circumstances for ourselves by solely depending on one source of income from one company as if it were God.
Wonder what kind of "job" you do to get money?
Tee76

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2009

Got through to somebody again today and wanted to know whats going on, i was told once again "Sir you're going to have to call back next week, we're behind right now" i said "you have me on the phone right now, you cant take 2 minutes out of your time to find out what the hold up is?" and she said again "Sir you're going to have to call back next week"

Unbelievable, my bills are so behind and i have 2 young kids that depend on me, i have no idea what to do now but sit and wait until they're ready to help me.
connie

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2009

the illegals try to get it too. they are not even entitled to it. they dont meet the programs requriements. they cant be hired under federal law. so they cant look for work
Steve Z

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2010

Bert wrote:
Unfortunately, of the 9.6%, 6% are people too lazy to work and looking for a handout. there are jobs out there for people with enough ambition to seek them out.
Sure Bert, and you are,..... a YUPPIE, one the many that have ruined this country?? A republican??? Bite it Bert. They won't hire me. Why???, Been doin a/r and collections for years, great references. Can't get job a McDonalds or many others like it cuz,...too over qualified,...etc.. I know yer saying the .6 is the lazy people. I doubt that. How about the idiots that do have jobs, but screw them up somehow, by stealing, doing very bad things on the computer, etc.. Ya really are outta touch, huh? And you are probably one of the people that talk and text while driving, but like soooo many idiots, you think, I'm a professional driver.
Big Guy

South Boardman, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2010

Judged:

Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
I git a kic out of peoples lice you. Who are worried about a mispelled word here and there.
wow

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2011

Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
your a dumbass go on an unemployment site to talk about some bs how lame are you
mary

Ada, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2011

Tee76 wrote:
Got through to somebody again today and wanted to know whats going on, i was told once again "Sir you're going to have to call back next week, we're behind right now" i said "you have me on the phone right now, you cant take 2 minutes out of your time to find out what the hold up is?" and she said again "Sir you're going to have to call back next week"

Unbelievable, my bills are so behind and i have 2 young kids that depend on me, i have no idea what to do now but sit and wait until they're ready to help me.

Sit and wait? Sitting and waiting ?!? Nobody can help you if you don't help yourself
SCS going in the toilet

Harper Woods, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

4+ years later it's still near impossible to reach a live person at 866-500-0017. MI UIA is a joke. Half of the time all circuits are busy, then if the system allows it to answer it's a recorded message that says they're too busy to take the call due to heavy call volume. How is it possible that their system is full and overwhelmed for over an hour right from the moment the call center opened. Then just when you think you're getting into the line on hold a different message saying the same thing before disconnecting you.
Sarah

Dewitt, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

I filed a claim and got the paperwork stating I was elide able and with the amount a few days ago. Today I recieved the debit card from UIA, currently there is no money on it. Does anyone know when they put the money on it? Or does this mean my employer is fighting it? Thank u, sarah
bill

Monroe, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>

You need to take a step back with your smart Ass comments instead of worrying about someone's spelling worry about your life keep your smart Ass comments to your self

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
go blue goes black 3 min Gville Jim 2
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 1 hr Really 5
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 8 hr Guru 806
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) 10 hr mat 217
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 23 hr Shes awful 79
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
•••
•••