Unemployment center swamped with calls

As Michigan's unemployment numbers continue to rise, 24 Hour News 8 continues to hear from people having problems receiving their benefits. Full Story
philip

Petoskey, MI

#126 Jan 8, 2009
Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
I did not know this was an english class, you anal prick
Mr W

Lima, OH

#127 Jan 8, 2009
I think I only have a balance of 3 weeks left on my unemployment which I'm very greatful for. I haven't had a "job" since 2007 and I have received two extensions since then. I can't even complain because it's a blessing that I'm able to receive these funds so far after I've been out of work.
*just got thru to Marvin*
It's 8:53, so I was calling 53 minutes, perhaps 15-25 times before I got through. I'm worried, not for myself, because I know how to get out there and make money, but for my fellow citizens with children that need to pay their rent/mortgage and utilities. I've decided not to even file for some benefits just because I'm not as in need as most in these tough times.
Standing in those LONG lines isn't so bad when you think about it though. You go to work for 8 hours or more per day anyway, just think of it as getting paid to stand in line for a day or two. You're still getting paid to do....NOTHING. It's not Marvin's fault that we're unemployed and need assistance, nor is it the states. Some of us made these dire circumstances for ourselves by solely depending on one source of income from one company as if it were God.
Tee76

Royal Oak, MI

#128 Jan 8, 2009
Tip wrote:
How long does it take to receive the UIA debit card? I filed for benefits a few weeks ago and was told i was eligible and the checks would be deposited onto a card. I think the deposit was done today, but it makes no sense if I don't have to card to withdraw any funds.
contracts.
A friend of mine is in the exact same situation as you, he was told the same thing back in November and he has yet to receive that debit card.
Tee76

Royal Oak, MI

#129 Jan 8, 2009
Here's a question i hope somebody could help answer:

OK so i finally got the password in the mail to be able to access my account/claims on the UIA website and when i go to the claim information it only shows my last claim from April 08, shows nothing about the new claim i filed recently in December.Does anyone know why this is? you figure it would be there, but its not. What can i do? i can't get through to anyone to try and clear this up. Did i need to reactivate the old claim because it had been 8 months and i just filed a new claim in December, only thing that shows up about it is "Your last certification was for week ending 12/27/2008"

Are those Problem Resolution Offices(PROs)of any help?

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#130 Jan 8, 2009
Good news...After waiting eight weeks for my husbands first unemployment check, I wrote a letter last week and sent it to the governors office.  I just wrote that he had filed on (the date he filed) and that we needed that check.  I wrote that our savings was gone and that we were starting to get shut-off notices and having trouble purchasing food for our family.  Then I made sure to add his name and social security number. Today the governors office called and insured him he will be receiving the entire eight weeks on one check in the next two days!!! Then he can continue to call MARVIN as usual and receive a check every two weeks until work calls him back (should be in February).

Here's the address I wrote to:

Office of Governor Granholm
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, MI 48909

I kept it clean (no swearing or threats) and to the point.
JMR

United States

#132 Jan 8, 2009
little-me wrote:
Good news...After waiting eight weeks for my husbands first unemployment check, I wrote a letter last week and sent it to the governors office.  I just wrote that he had filed on (the date he filed) and that we needed that check.  I wrote that our savings was gone and that we were starting to get shut-off notices and having trouble purchasing food for our family.  Then I made sure to add his name and social security number. Today the governors office called and insured him he will be receiving the entire eight weeks on one check in the next two days!!! Then he can continue to call MARVIN as usual and receive a check every two weeks until work calls him back (should be in February).
Here's the address I wrote to:
Office of Governor Granholm
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, MI 48909
I kept it clean (no swearing or threats) and to the point.
Let us know if you get the check.
karen

Grand Rapids, MI

#133 Jan 9, 2009
i have been trying to get my unemployment for over 2 months my employer is fighting it. but i still call in every two weeks. this past tus my call day and my time between 1:00pm and 2:00pm. i started calling at 1:01 and never got though until 1:56. pushing redial every 2to 3 min. which is hard on the money i do not have because i am limted to 50 calls a month to reduce my phone bill. so there went my 50 call or more
Hard worker

Kalamazoo, MI

#134 Jan 9, 2009
You are an idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
If I was to take a job for minimum wage I would go even further into the red. Have you taken a look at how much these jobs pay at the end of the week? Add up transportation, housing, food and other cost the only way you could live off of these jobs is if someone gave you a car, paid for all your food and rent, aka living in your rich parents basement. The rich people get richer because the dont give a damn about anyone else and continue to abuse and extort their workers so they can put more money in their pockets. There is no way a normal person from a poor family has a chance in hell of ever getting rich. The rich man will never give out business loans to poor people regardless of how well they may run it. The wages he pays these people are so low that they wont ever be able to scape up enough cash to start something on their own. Colleges are a damn joke. Four years from a mediocre school will leave you so far in debt that you will be paying on the loans for years assuming your are fortunate enough to get approved for a student loan. How do you keep a roof over your families head while you go to school? The only way this will work is if you Daddies rich enough to send you to school.
Not everyone starts with the same opportunities and most of these risk takers as you would have them are a bunch of rich **** still riding on their daddies coattails. Wealth gets passed down through families. It doesnt end up in the pocket of the employee whose busts his **** every day so the rich man can make more money. When the rich man gets nervous he might not have as profitable year as he would like then he lays off his employees. These company owners and ceos , your risk takers, have huge houses, boats, box office seats at the Joe. They are so far out of touch with reality that they have no idea what it is like to have to live of of a ten dollar an hour wage. So who is the real risk taker here? The one that had is parents pay for his education and cosigned on the business loans or the guy who has had to make his own way his whole life while the rich man keeps raising the prices of everything and paying his employees less just so he can buy more **** to impress his rich **** buddies?
I put myself through college and am still paying for it but I do have a job that utilizes my degree which I am more than thankful for. I did not rely on my parents to pay for my schooling or anything that I have. I have done it on my own and am proud of that. It just takes determination and drive.

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#135 Jan 11, 2009
JMR wrote:
<quoted text>Let us know if you get the check.
The check came on Saturday. Anyone waiting and waiting: Read my last post a couple up from here and try writing a letter to the governors office.
today

Knoxville, TN

#136 Jan 15, 2009
really
cantonner

Detroit, MI

#137 Jan 21, 2009
I just got through after calling 42 times.
rooster

Belleville, MI

#138 Jan 21, 2009
cantonner wrote:
I just got through after calling 42 times.

I called Marvin on Monday night and the money is in my Debit card today...probaly delayed by MLK day-no banking!
I previously filed on the telephine, but this time I did it "on line" and had no problems. I selected the Debit Card as a payment method, and it came within a few days. I activated it-follow directions. I went to the Credit Union and they checked my account for me for a cash advance!? Remember that if you use the debit card more than 2 times there are fees from Chase...so get your money and move it into a traditional account.
Yes I had to call "Marvin" at least 20 times but I did get through..on my land line phone. Maybe you can find a land line phone at parents, friend etc and use it to call Marvin on 'your time'.
Good Luck to everyone!
Problem

Somerset, KY

#139 Jan 23, 2009
karen wrote:
i have been trying to get my unemployment for over 2 months my employer is fighting it. but i still call in every two weeks. this past tus my call day and my time between 1:00pm and 2:00pm. i started calling at 1:01 and never got though until 1:56. pushing redial every 2to 3 min. which is hard on the money i do not have because i am limted to 50 calls a month to reduce my phone bill. so there went my 50 call or more
Nothing personal. I would appreciate some information regarding your case. My former employer is fighting me, too.
I'm sure the laws are a little different in Michigan than Kentucky. Also, I quit rather than laid-offed. I think for good reasons: discrimination, working and not being paid anything, employment records falsified. These are NOT allegations. I have documented proof and have submitted it to the investigators. I have also submitted Complaints to state and federal government agencies.
If anyone has experienced similar problems with J. B. Hunt Transport, I would appreciate hearing from them, too. We can make it private: artteacher48@gmail.com
Splinter

Harrisburg, OH

#140 Jan 29, 2009
Are you serious? could you honestly say that if you were making $362.00 a week on unemployment you would take a minimum wage job?$7.40 per hr.(min. wage)times 40 hours is $296.00 minus taxes and travel to and from this minimum wage job...you gotta be kidding!
Cmon Joe wrote:
If people not taking a job because of the pay they are lazy!
If they are waiting for "realistic" pay (aka, what they wish they could get paid), they need to redefine what "realistic is!
Even if they need to take a minimum wage job for a short period of time, they would be making steps toward a better job.
Also, you can't blame the few people who actually took the risk and made themselves successful. They had the same opportunities you and your family had, but they chose to take more risk and as such are being rewarded for doing so.
Bitchy Unemployed Worker

Brighton, MI

#141 Jan 29, 2009
Can't get through on either phone number! If I do, I'm on hold for an hour, then an automated message tells me to hang up due to the "large call volume." F'n pissed! I have a mortgage and kids to pay for!!!

Since: Oct 08

Dearborn Heights, MI

#142 Jan 29, 2009
I am wondering if anyone waiting on their unemployment "check" understands that they will receive a debit card from, I believe, Chase Bank, that will be infused with their unemployment entitlement? Hopefully those waiting on "checks" have not discarded a piece of mail from Chase Bank thinking it was "junk" mail ....
Bitchy Unemployed Worker

Brighton, MI

#143 Jan 29, 2009
I finally got through after calling a couple of times. Hopefully they are adding new employees to handle the demand. I encourage others to be patient and persistent. I'm feeling a little better now. Not so angry.

Since: Oct 08

Dearborn Heights, MI

#144 Jan 29, 2009
Bitchy Unemployed Worker wrote:
I finally got through after calling a couple of times. Hopefully they are adding new employees to handle the demand. I encourage others to be patient and persistent. I'm feeling a little better now. Not so angry.
CONGRATS!! Hopefully stuff falls into place for ya!
ctgirllisa

Grand Rapids, MI

#145 Feb 5, 2009
philip wrote:
<quoted text> I did not know this was an english class, you anal prick
this whyoming guy is really rdue, he must have a job, but they way he talks not for long!!!!!!!!!!
ctgirllisa

Grand Rapids, MI

#146 Feb 5, 2009
the whyoming guy that was so rude needs to find his dish, good luck to you philip!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 32 min Go Blue Forever 1,375
Grand Rapids man robbed at Nunica Rest Stop (Jan '09) 3 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 4 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 59
Bengazi is back 4 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 108
Quote of the Day (Jun '08) 7 hr Times are a Changing 2,840
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 9 hr JustA_person 26
Local News Women (Apr '09) 16 hr intothegrv 2,306
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••