Unemployment center swamped with calls

Unemployment center swamped with calls

There are 156 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Dec 18, 2008, titled Unemployment center swamped with calls. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

As Michigan's unemployment numbers continue to rise, 24 Hour News 8 continues to hear from people having problems receiving their benefits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Tee76

Lincoln Park, MI

#106 Dec 30, 2008
what do you do when you accidently made a mistake when calling MARVIN and didn't realize your mistake until after you hung up? I've been calling the UIA for 2 days straight at both numbers and haven't gotten through, and i really need to have this mistake fixed so i can receive my benefits.

Not to mention every time i've called MARVIN, when he's reading the questions his voice cuts in and out (no it's not my phone)
Guy

Greeley, CO

#107 Dec 30, 2008
Next time listen to Marvin when he repeats the answers you selected at the end of the call before verifying and hanging up. Therefore, if you hear something wrong you can change it. But now, you have to call in.
joey-auburn hills

Little Rock, AR

#108 Dec 31, 2008
having the same problems here. i call several times in a day; sometimes as many as 20 or more times. ofcourse i never get thru. I get the message, "experincing high call volumes", which get's me no where of course! I guess i can always rob a bank to put food on the table for me and my kids!!
Brandon Westbrook

Raleigh, NC

#109 Jan 2, 2009
1/2/09 I tried calling Marvin on my scheduled day Dec. 23,2008 and couldnt get through then I called all day on my other day Friday Dec. 26, 2008. Im still trying to get through 1/2/09. They need to do something now, so many people like me cant pay their phones bills to call MARVIN. Then when we do get through to a person they tell me that my excuse for not calling on my day is not a good enough excuse because of (high call volumes) so they dont pay me for my last 2 weeks. Its not my fault there system is overloaded.
James

Lincoln Park, MI

#110 Jan 3, 2009
I too have been having problems getting through, my bills are due, and im worried my phone is going to be the first thing shut off for non-payment. Now i'm going to have to resort to finding a friend of neighbor who will let me sit at their house all day long while they are at work so i can use their phone to try and get through.It's just ridiculous and we shouldn't have to suffer because their system is overloaded, they should have seen this coming from a mile away.

I foresee things getting uglier before they get better.
Matthew

Taylor, MI

#111 Jan 5, 2009
my appointment time is monday between 8 am and 9 am. i called 26 times within that hour and was unable to connect one time. last period i was only able to connect at 8:53, so i maintained hope. 9 o'clock came and went. surely, i thought, since they MUST be aware of this issue they might have relaxed their appointment times. well, no such luck. i managed to get through at 9:07. all i received was, "Please refer to your booklet for your correct appointment time." i got this as soon as i punched in my social security number. now, i know i can call any time on thursday or friday, and, truth be told, this i'm not in dire need of this money-- YET-- but what if i were? what about the other people with families and such?
Adam

Owosso, MI

#112 Jan 5, 2009
I was in the middle of my unemployment when my claim year ended. I got a letter saying that I had to re-file in order to continue my benefits. So I went online and filed a claim. It said everything went through fine. I waited and called marvin and after going through with marvin it said that if I was accepted my check would be mailed as soon as possible. So finally I called the unemployment office (after about 30 minutes of constant redials) I got through and she said it didnt show anything about me filing online. I feel the online filing system is horrible. But just for all of you who cant get through. The only way your going to get through is by constantly calling. Eventually you will get through. I almost gave up after 20 minutes but good thing I didnt. Good Luck!
Tee76

Lincoln Park, MI

#113 Jan 5, 2009
So i've been trying to call them since 8am this morning and all i've been getting is a busy signal, anyone else having this problem? Im wondering why i'd be getting a busy signal instead of the voice message everyone was getting all last week.

This is just starting to be ridiculous now.
K-Zoo

Kalamazoo, MI

#114 Jan 5, 2009
Just Keep Trying, you will get through. It took me 33 mins. but I got through!:)
Broke in Michigan

Oak Lawn, IL

#115 Jan 5, 2009
What in the heck is going on?
You can't get through to Marvin, or the other tll free numbers. Also, there are no offices to visit in order to get the problem solved.
The State desperately needs more employees to handle the phone calls.
This is horrible!!!!!
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

#116 Jan 5, 2009
Broke in Michigan wrote:
What in the heck is going on?
You can't get through to Marvin, or the other tll free numbers. Also, there are no offices to visit in order to get the problem solved.
The State desperately needs more employees to handle the phone calls.
This is horrible!!!!!
The State has 75,000 employees who do not generate any revenue. They just take from us and treat us badly. Wait til health care is done by these people.
PAM

Milford, MI

#117 Jan 5, 2009
K-Zoo wrote:
Just Keep Trying, you will get through. It took me 33 mins. but I got through!:)
I have been trying WAY LONGER than 33 minutes and I cannot get thru. I am feeling pretty desperate. This is ridiculous.
PAM

Milford, MI

#118 Jan 5, 2009
Has anyone resorted to driving to one of the 5 or 6 offices that are open to service the unemployed since the phone system and internet system are deplorable? If so, how busy are they? How long are the lines? I'm wondering if it's worth it to drive to Farmington instead of calling repeatedly for hours upon hours
GEE

Poquoson, VA

#119 Jan 5, 2009
Calling Marvin or going on line is a big joke. We have been trying for the last four hours calling Marvin only to get busy signals or our lines are all busy right know due to the high calls. We tried three times on line only to get knocked off. I can see why some people move out of state to file unemployment for michigan its easier to get through. Michigan is one fu**in joke.
Tee76

Lincoln Park, MI

#120 Jan 6, 2009
It's ridiculous, only thing i get in the mail from UIA is some piece of paper with a user name and password on it, saying to use it to "transact unemployment insurance business" however the password they sent me does not work, go figure.

I tried logging in numerous times and finally got a message saying "log in failed" " a new password will be mailed to you within 7 days"

They cant even get this right, how bad is it really going to get?
Dale

Salem, OR

#121 Jan 6, 2009
Yeah I have been trying to call unemployment since before christmas have my 8 week extention called marvin got through and i recive no checks, so I cant get through to ask why and I call about 30 -40 times a day and get "were sorry all circuts are busy now call back later." does anyone know weather the lines are down ore theres not enough employes at there call center or what? I've been calling about a week before christmas and that same were sorry message happens?
Tip

Toledo, OH

#122 Jan 6, 2009
How long does it take to receive the UIA debit card? I filed for benefits a few weeks ago and was told i was eligible and the checks would be deposited onto a card. I think the deposit was done today, but it makes no sense if I don't have to card to withdraw any funds.
I actually worked for an automotive supplier. My employer wasn't publicly owned but managed privately by Eurpoeans. Long story short: There were several of us let go in late 2008, but nothing was in the news. These massive layoffs are much worse than we can all imagine. To make matters worse, many of the jobs that were lost; were outsourced outside the U.S., but my employer wants to keep that quiet. In the same tune, my emplyer still continues to supply parts to the Big 3. I wish the Big 3 would cancel the contracts.
Grammer Police

Deerfield, IL

#123 Jan 6, 2009
Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
Who cares, stop trolling and posting useless topics wasting everyones time.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#124 Jan 6, 2009
I called MARVIN last week and it took several tries to get through. It's still running badly.

On the positive side, I'm on a 6 week paid vacation (layoff, unemployment) because the automotive industry is idle. I love you, MARVIN!
Big Daddy

Broomfield, CO

#125 Jan 6, 2009
Be very careful with MARVIN...If you make a mistake during your call, it will come back and bite you,,,I had serious issues during a layoff in 2003 with MARVIN and it cost me $10,000.....I even kept all the stubs from work I had done and most of my reported earnings were different on MARVIN... In Michigan's eyes.....That is intentional fraud....Be careful....Don't let this happen to you...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 3 hr Dena 1,161
News Caught on tape: man beats dogs (Mar '08) 11 hr Go Blue Forever 156
are the protesters going to jump 11 hr RushFan666 51
Local News Women (Apr '09) 13 hr T-Man 2,839
Poll Any parents of children in jail forum (Jul '09) Feb 20 Carter 58
Art Van Scam (Oct '08) Feb 18 MUman 50
Texas Girl With a Great Plan (Sep '12) Feb 15 Gaxtell 74

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance