Unemployment center swamped with calls

Unemployment center swamped with calls

There are 156 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Dec 18, 2008, titled Unemployment center swamped with calls. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

As Michigan's unemployment numbers continue to rise, 24 Hour News 8 continues to hear from people having problems receiving their benefits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

auntnana

Allegan, MI

#44 Dec 19, 2008
Bill Clinton wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder she is out of work.........
listen hear u ass i lost my job not because of my spelling. if u don't like
go to a some where else and be an ass
Jeff

Ionia, MI

#45 Dec 19, 2008
I was eligible for benefits, with no question and what happened to me is very frustrating. I received my "card" and there was no $ on it. I tried for hours to get through on the phone with no luck had to drive 35 miles to the GR location only to find out it was an "entry error" on the agencies part, was told my $ would be available the next day, it was not, I was told by the "card" people that I was mis-informed by the unemployment agency and the $ would take an additional 3-4 business days...in the mean time I have overdraft charges because I trusted that the UIA was doing what they are supposed to...you can't tell me the system works fine...Maybe management should take another look.
auntnana

Allegan, MI

#46 Dec 19, 2008
Jeff wrote:
I was eligible for benefits, with no question and what happened to me is very frustrating. I received my "card" and there was no $ on it. I tried for hours to get through on the phone with no luck had to drive 35 miles to the GR location only to find out it was an "entry error" on the agencies part, was told my $ would be available the next day, it was not, I was told by the "card" people that I was mis-informed by the unemployment agency and the $ would take an additional 3-4 business days...in the mean time I have overdraft charges because I trusted that the UIA was doing what they are supposed to...you can't tell me the system works fine...Maybe management should take another look.
hang in their .. im still trying to back to them
flsr

Midland, TX

#48 Dec 19, 2008
Tohamic wrote:
<quoted text>
We conserve and we save and we turn out the lights, lower the heat, tell the kids about the jobs, eat in and self prepare EVERYTHING. Kids are feeling the "pain" of all of this and are worrying at their young ages. I would not take Santa away from them for anything on the earth! If they get ONE thing whether small or large, homemade or store bought, atleast they have some kind of cheer and happiness this season. They are just little children for crying out loud. We need to make our homes happy for them and try not to add any stress on the kids. They hear enough about this stuff. Your a scrooge.
Okay, maybe Santa will save your kids with a little present, but God will save mine. My grandchildren know what Christmas is about, and you can call me scrooge or whatever you want to. How long of doing without before your kids will get mad at santa for not bringing them what they want. There's nothing wrong with the truth at any age.
keep being observant

Battle Creek, MI

#49 Dec 19, 2008
It is just another frustration for the unemployed.
When you can't get through you think why don't they hire me to answer their phones. Why wait until February. People are wanting to get back to work now
The system is not working as effectively as it could with more people to answer the phones.
Put Michigan back to work now not in February!
keep being observant

Battle Creek, MI

#50 Dec 19, 2008
Bert
6% unemployment rate are lazy????... Obviously you still have a job (thank your lucky stars) I would never ever say an unemployed person in today's economy is lazy..there are no jobs out there!
People like you only hurt those of us who are unemployed. It is very frustrating being on unemployment when you would rather be working!
Ihope you and yours have a pleasant holiday.........
Tony

Holland, MI

#51 Dec 19, 2008
Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
shut the H up you arrogant piece of Sht.
Freaking jerkoff.
Chantal Kleeves

Salt Lake City, UT

#52 Dec 20, 2008
I filed for unemployment back in November. When I did finally get a hold of someone they said that it was taking them about 7 weeks for them to get to your claim. Then I finally got some paperwork in the mail yesterday and it never actually said that I was approved or denied. So I still have to wait to see if I will be getting unemployment or not. I, along with many others I believe, won't be getting many presents for our children this year!
chas

Plainwell, MI

#53 Dec 20, 2008
I got my unemployment approved after 6 weeks, the key(I believe) is, keep calling and calling! When they figure out you're serious and not going away, they will deal with you. I was at a job for 17 years, decided to better myself so I got a better job, within 3 months I was laid off. To address the jackass that said most of the unemployed people are lazy, you either work in the medical field, or work for the State....if not YOUR job is next!!!!!!
chas

Plainwell, MI

#54 Dec 20, 2008
By the way did I spell everything right?
janie d

Grand Rapids, MI

#55 Dec 20, 2008
Hmmm...we're not out looking for work, huh ? Well, I've worked all my life, paid my bills and paid my taxes. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with Stage III cancer. Four surgeries, chemo and radiation ago, and turning 61 years old, I find that people are not lining up to offer me a job. I've been blessed with receiving the extension although there was a lapse of about a month. I just keep trying to get through to MARVIN and have been successful every time. I'm fortunate that my husband, who's 65, is still working full time, but soon this extension will run out, short of me being old enough to collect SS. So, I'm either too young, or too old !! I've never been in this spot before !! Kinna sucks ! So, I AM looking for work and I don't have a lazy bone in my body. I'll accept your apology in advance, you jumped !!
janie d

Grand Rapids, MI

#56 Dec 20, 2008
Oh, and "Auntnana"...take a hike, whoever you are. You're a jerk and I'm LOL at you ! You probably have bad hair too.
auntnana

Grand Rapids, MI

#57 Dec 20, 2008
janie d wrote:
Oh, and "Auntnana"...take a hike, whoever you are. You're a jerk and I'm LOL at you ! You probably have bad hair too.
get a life troll

“Somebody Stop Me”

Since: Nov 08

Branson

#58 Dec 20, 2008
1. Jobs go overseas
2. Remaining companies shift the tax burden to individuals through the use of renaissance zone forbearances, tax incentives, and tax amnesty
3. Majority of jobs in country that pay anything are tax funded or subsidized; i.e. Education, Healthcare, and Civil Services
4. Legislators give taxpayers the other side of the double-edged sword by acting "conscionable" and providing perpetual unemployment and free college education for workers their trade policies displaced from their jobs
5. Taxpayers get the benefit of increased inflation due to additional national debt
6. Problem cannot be addressed since our educators are too stupid to operate in the black
auntnana

Grand Rapids, MI

#59 Dec 20, 2008
janie d wrote:
why are u lol at me?
janie d

Grand Rapids, MI

#60 Dec 21, 2008
Oh, you finally decided you could spell ? These are real people on this blog site, with real problems. There's plenty of other sites where you can go and play your games.
auntnana

Grand Rapids, MI

#61 Dec 21, 2008
janie d wrote:
Oh, you finally decided you could spell ? These are real people on this blog site, with real problems. There's plenty of other sites where you can go and play your games.
go some where else and be troll
auntnana

Grand Rapids, MI

#62 Dec 21, 2008
janie d wrote:
and for ur info i did lose my job and i think it time for u to grow up
go to another blog and play ur games
janie d

Grand Rapids, MI

#63 Dec 21, 2008
I would like to hear from you guys about your experiences with MI Works and the "No Worker Left Behind" program. It's the funniest joke Grandholm has ever told.

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#64 Dec 21, 2008
auntnana wrote:
<quoted text>
and for ur info i did lose my job and i think it time for u to grow up
go to another blog and play ur games
Girlfriend, quit playing games with these morons. You're waaaaay better than them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) 2 hr District 1 395
Local News Women (Apr '09) Mon NewsFan13 2,905
Poll What about Obama's wife? (Aug '10) May 20 Horrific 378
Sonic's GR History? (Sep '09) May 12 Cdoxie 15
News The cold, hard facts about seven winter driving... (Nov '14) May 10 then thaw Floods ... 2
The Geek Group May 10 Redrider87 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) May 9 Wyoming Bob 1,174

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages