Unemployment center swamped with calls

As Michigan's unemployment numbers continue to rise, 24 Hour News 8 continues to hear from people having problems receiving their benefits. Full Story
Bill Clinton

Ada, MI

#22 Dec 19, 2008
Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
No wonder she is out of work.........
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#23 Dec 19, 2008
little-me wrote:
I can't say I'm happy to read all the posts from people saying they still haven't received checks, but I guess I'm glad we're not alone. My husband was laid off back in October and still hasn't received his first check. He calls MARVIN faithfully every two weeks- still nothing.
And people want govt run health care.

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#24 Dec 19, 2008
Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
For your information: This person is learning disabled and receives no public handout. This person has worked VERY hard for many years for their paycheck and has well earned your and everyone elses respect. So quit being a jerk and maybe get YOURSELF in some classes.
Fed up

United States

#25 Dec 19, 2008
spazann wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you and feel bad for you. I am trying to start a new claim and that isn't working either on the internet or the phone. I worked long and hard hours to earn unemployment as does everyone else-so why should we be forced to sit back and lose everything and not eat while we wait for what we earned?
I completely agree. I too have filed a new unemployment claim, received an acceptance letter, have continued to call Marvin, and have not received one check. I call the UIA several times daily with no success. The one time I got through the woman very rudely told me the computers were down and she could not help me! She said to try back later! This is very frustrating for so many people.
Clara Macomber

Byron Center, MI

#26 Dec 19, 2008
Seems as tho this is an chance to hire a few more people to do this work and put some people back to work. Then the call load would drop.

Thank you
christina

Walled Lake, MI

#27 Dec 19, 2008
I called every 15 minuted they were open for 9 days before I got through. you will get through, it just takes FOREVER
CCP

East Lansing, MI

#29 Dec 19, 2008
For any of you that are trying to contact Unemployment, and you get that message, hang up and hit redial until you don't get that message, I know it seems crazy to have to do that, but if its urgent enough you will keep doing it. My husband and I did it for him and it took about 10 mins. Then only like 15mins on hold and we got to talk to a live person. So don't give up, also, between 9-10 am and 2-3 seems to be best to even do this.
Kelli

Whitehall, MI

#30 Dec 19, 2008
Suicide Hotline.......Please Hold !!
chas

Plainwell, MI

#32 Dec 19, 2008
I finally received my checks today...about 6 weeks it took. I know it's frustrating to keep calling these people, but keep on their asses and you will get through! Good luck to everyone.
chas

Plainwell, MI

#33 Dec 19, 2008
I think one of the biggest problems with these holdups is our state is borrowing the money from other sources, but if you keep bugging them they will find out that you are serious and aren't going away. I wonder how many people just give up(maybe that's what the state is counting on) Most of you on here have worked long enough, and deserve to be helped out...hang in there!
Worried for Michigan

Los Angeles, CA

#34 Dec 19, 2008
Bert wrote:
Unfortunately, of the 9.6%, 6% are people too lazy to work and looking for a handout. there are jobs out there for people with enough ambition to seek them out.
This is a typical narrow-minded view. It simply does not apply to most unemployed people- like me for instance: I have NEVER taken a handout. I worked two jobs and lived on Ramen noodles (while undergoing cancer treatment, I might add) worked a soul-sucking job to pay the bills for four years after receiving my degree, got a good job finally, worked hard, did good things for my company, and got laid off in November due to the economy. I am educated, have a good resume, and spend hours every day looking for a job, to no avail. And now, like many others, am being let down when I finally have to accept help from unemployment.
Deb

New Buffalo, MI

#35 Dec 19, 2008
I was fortunate enough to get thru Monday Dec. 8th. I was extended my unemployment benefits automatically and didn't have to wait for a notice by mail like the last time. Because it was my regular day and at the hour of my scheduled phone in time she said "I will let you go so you can call in to Marvin and claim your last 2 weeks." I got my check deposited into my checking account 2 days later and had no problems. Just call in like before at your scheduled time and hopefully it will work for you too, and don't forget to try to collect at the local office or on the phone to get back pay if possible. Please just stay on the phone when prompted, I waited for almost 40 minutes.
Deb

New Buffalo, MI

#36 Dec 19, 2008
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
<quoted text>And people want govt run health care.
Make sure you go to your local Michigan Works office and put your resume online and get your paperwork signed by them. You then will either have to go to the local Unemployment office and show them your signed papers or call them and tell them you are now online with your resume. Then make sure you go online and update your resume so you stay eligible for benefits. You can't get the help if you don't follow the rules and call Michigan works so they can ask you if you did ALL you have to do, maybe you inadvertantly made a mistake. You're human too.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#37 Dec 19, 2008
Deb wrote:
<quoted text>
Make sure you go to your local Michigan Works office and put your resume online and get your paperwork signed by them. You then will either have to go to the local Unemployment office and show them your signed papers or call them and tell them you are now online with your resume. Then make sure you go online and update your resume so you stay eligible for benefits. You can't get the help if you don't follow the rules and call Michigan works so they can ask you if you did ALL you have to do, maybe you inadvertantly made a mistake. You're human too.
I am still employed..... For now.....
Humbled

New Buffalo, MI

#38 Dec 19, 2008
Ms Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen, you tell them
I second that AMEN! I do hope everyone gets the help they need, trust me I know what it's like to go to the food bank at church to feed the kids. We all have to swallow our pride sometimes. And yes I did graduate from and go to college...but the kids still have to eat and I still have to keep a roof over their heads, so bite the bullet and visit your local office in person if you cannot get thru on the phone.
Tohamic

Wayland, MI

#39 Dec 19, 2008
Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Your an idiot. People are typing fast and so what - they dont spell correctly on a computer. Everyone is frustrated and you need not sit on here and conduct a Grammar lesson and spelling test.
Tohamic

Wayland, MI

#40 Dec 19, 2008
flsr wrote:
I hope everyone who has posted here realizes how bad things really are and are taking appropriate action at home. I hope you get the unemployment extensions due you, but what happens when the extension runs out. It is time to put "Santa" out of the picture. Tell the truth to the kids for once that it is really daddy and mommy who are buying things for them, daddy earns the money for them, and daddy no longer has a job to go to for the money....
We conserve and we save and we turn out the lights, lower the heat, tell the kids about the jobs, eat in and self prepare EVERYTHING. Kids are feeling the "pain" of all of this and are worrying at their young ages. I would not take Santa away from them for anything on the earth! If they get ONE thing whether small or large, homemade or store bought, atleast they have some kind of cheer and happiness this season. They are just little children for crying out loud. We need to make our homes happy for them and try not to add any stress on the kids. They hear enough about this stuff. Your a scrooge.
Tohamic

Wayland, MI

#41 Dec 19, 2008
enough wrote:
I feel for everyone trying to work with uia. If you can't get through to them, how about if EVERYONE starts calling and emailing Granholms office - until they can't take anymore.
Here is the Michigan website with the links to get to her office. You should also contact your representatives and our senators. If everyone bugs them enough, maybe (long shot, I know) they will get off their duffs and fix this.
http://www.michigan.gov/
Sent my email to the Governors office. Hope everyone else will do the same. Maybe this will get the ball rolling just a bit faster.
auntnana

Byron Center, MI

#42 Dec 19, 2008
Holland Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you think we are having a hard enough time? I think the rude comments (spelling lesson) are uncalled for. It's a forum to post concerns, questions, etc...let's not get technical...give the poor man/woman a break!!!
thx
auntnana

Byron Center, MI

#43 Dec 19, 2008
little-me wrote:
<quoted text>
For your information: This person is learning disabled and receives no public handout. This person has worked VERY hard for many years for their paycheck and has well earned your and everyone elses respect. So quit being a jerk and maybe get YOURSELF in some classes.
thx

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 1,473
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 2 hr Who 37
3 reasons Grand Rapids-area Muslims want to ope... 3 hr tom_ 21
City of Pentecost Christmas program 4 hr COP OUTREACH 1
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways 7 hr Really 15
The curse of success - america 10 hr Idea Maker 2
Commission wants Servaas off bench (Feb '08) Tue Servaas is a clown 232
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info