FL mom indicted in missing daughter case

There are 22 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Oct 14, 2008, titled FL mom indicted in missing daughter case. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

The mother of a missing 3-year-old girl was accused Tuesday in an indictment of killing her daughter, prosecutors said, even though the child's body has not been found during an exhaustive four-month search.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lowell resident

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Oct 14, 2008
I hope the poor innocent baby girl is somewhere peaceful. Makes me sick!

“Ready For The Apocalypse!”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#2 Oct 14, 2008
My prayers are with the little girl, but this entire time I've been wondering why this case in particular has been getting so much national attention when kids go missing everyday.

Since: Jun 08

Grand Haven, MI

#3 Oct 14, 2008
I don't think it looks good for the mother, although so far all the information has come from "investigators" meaning the police. It will be interesting to hear her side in court.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Riverdale, MI

#4 Oct 14, 2008
I hope the court proceedings do not take very long...
yeah yeah

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Oct 15, 2008
Ursula K Raphael wrote:
My prayers are with the little girl, but this entire time I've been wondering why this case in particular has been getting so much national attention when kids go missing everyday.
There are 797500 children under the age 18 per year that go missing. Answer your question.
a rational approach

Lawrence, MI

#6 Oct 15, 2008
yeah yeah wrote:
<quoted text>There are 797500 children under the age 18 per year that go missing. Answer your question.
If you take into account the runaways that are found in a couple days, the custody issues where a child is reported as missing by the custodial parent (more often then not returned a few hours later) and those that walk away from group homes, you really have a very small number of missing children in danger. The numbers then encompass 'all' missing children. When you look at actual numbers of missing children abducted by strangers, it is very, very, small...that's why so much media attention.

“Be Respectful”

Grand Rapids

#7 Oct 15, 2008
Ursula K Raphael wrote:
Actually, in missing children's cases, the family members cooperate with the police and FBI. In this case, it got so much attention because, from day one, when Caylee Anthony was reported missing by HER GRANDMOTHER, Caylee's mother had lied over and over again to authorities.

Caylee's mother, Casey, told the grandmother that the child had been missing for 31 days and she had been looking for her. That's when the grandmother called 911 to report her granddaughter missing. Every day, during questioning the child's mother, there were new lies and she led investigators on wild goose chases.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg as to why this case got so much attention. Everyone was hoping that little Caylee would be found, dead or alive.
unfortunate

Holland, MI

#8 Oct 15, 2008
Lowell resident wrote:
I hope the poor innocent baby girl is somewhere peaceful. Makes me sick!
Most likely a shallow grave and picked over by the scavengers. Mother shows no remorse and worse yet is the grandmother....seriously, how many would like to punch her in the face?

“Be Respectful”

Grand Rapids

#9 Oct 15, 2008
unfortunate wrote:
<quoted text>
Most likely a shallow grave and picked over by the scavengers. Mother shows no remorse and worse yet is the grandmother....seriously, how many would like to punch her in the face?
Tim Miller and Equusearch will be back to Florida to try and find Caylee's body. They were there before the hurricane came in, but this family wouldn't work with them. The Anthony's had nothing good to say about this wonderful group of people looking for Caylee. They wanted him to find a "live" Caylee, not a "dead" Caylee. Tim Miller is confident that he can find her little body.
Wendy

Greenville, MI

#10 Oct 15, 2008
It look long enough to indict her! While I am definitely a person who feels that people should be innocent until proven guilty, sometimes it's hard to feel that way when you read all the news reports. Casey had ample opportunity to tell the truth many lies and has been found in WAY too many lies, it's just pathetic! At first her mother called the authorities and then recanted her story too...it looks like she learns how to lie from her mother. It's just sad a two year old beautiful little girl is most likely dead someplace, she deserves a real burial. This story breaks my heart!

Location hidden

#11 Oct 16, 2008
Wendy wrote:
It look long enough to indict her! While I am definitely a person who feels that people should be innocent until proven guilty, sometimes it's hard to feel that way when you read all the news reports. Casey had ample opportunity to tell the truth many lies and has been found in WAY too many lies, it's just pathetic! At first her mother called the authorities and then recanted her story too...it looks like she learns how to lie from her mother. It's just sad a two year old beautiful little girl is most likely dead someplace, she deserves a real burial. This story breaks my heart!
Here's something else I wondered: why wasn't she arrested for obstruction of justice or something similar? Wouldn't her blatant lying be considered deliberately impairing an ongoing investigation?
Lori

Caledonia, MI

#12 Oct 16, 2008
Mother is delusional, Grandmother is more delusional. Pray they find this little girl, so the concerned people of America can have closure, never mind the family. This story has been a joke since day one. Arrest them all for obstruction of justice.
Local

Coldwater, MI

#13 Oct 16, 2008
The networks are probably standing in line for the story rights. Casey and family will make millions.
You ask why this story has become such a big deal? Answer: Ratings $$$

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#14 Oct 16, 2008
unfortunate wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, I think Casey probably drove her to a swampy, alligator infested area. Everything she's done has been premeditated and shifty, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Location hidden

#15 Oct 16, 2008
If that were the case, I hope the alligator choked to death, and washes ashore, so we can have some kind of closure.

I shudder to think if she is still alive, what someone might be doing to her.

It just seems like we're well past any hope of a happy ending.

“Be Respectful”

Grand Rapids

#16 Oct 16, 2008
Local wrote:
The networks are probably standing in line for the story rights. Casey and family will make millions.
You ask why this story has become such a big deal? Answer: Ratings $$$
The Anthony family is making money off their missing granddaughter. They are selling t shirts and bracelets to supposedly help in the search for Caylee. The other night after Casey was arrested and indicted on murder one charges, Cindy was waiting to see who would pay the most for her story the next day. She was on the Today Show. Cindy seems to like drama and being in the limelight.

This is a big deal because of the way this family was not cooperating with the investigators. Casey waits 31 days to even mention that her child is missing, and only mentioned it because Cindy dragged it out of her. Casey didn't call 911, her mother did.
Clueless

Waterbury, CT

#17 Oct 16, 2008
Gail in Wyoming wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, in missing children's cases, the family members cooperate with the police and FBI. In this case, it got so much attention because, from day one, when Caylee Anthony was reported missing by HER GRANDMOTHER, Caylee's mother had lied over and over again to authorities.
Caylee's mother, Casey, told the grandmother that the child had been missing for 31 days and she had been looking for her. That's when the grandmother called 911 to report her granddaughter missing. Every day, during questioning the child's mother, there were new lies and she led investigators on wild goose chases.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg as to why this case got so much attention. Everyone was hoping that little Caylee would be found, dead or alive.
Grandma didn't even BEGIN with Caylee missing--she wanted Casey arrested for stealing her car and money!
Clueless

Waterbury, CT

#18 Oct 16, 2008
unfortunate wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya got my vote.

“Be Respectful”

Grand Rapids

#19 Oct 17, 2008
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>Grandma didn't even BEGIN with Caylee missing--she wanted Casey arrested for stealing her car and money!
I know. Cindy loves the media attention and money. She is just as strange as her daughter. This should be one interesting trial, as Casey's mom, dad, and brother are on the witness list to testify against her.
Wendy

Greenville, MI

#20 Oct 18, 2008
Ursula K Raphael wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's something else I wondered: why wasn't she arrested for obstruction of justice or something similar? Wouldn't her blatant lying be considered deliberately impairing an ongoing investigation?
Yea, you would think she would be charged with hindering an investigation or something similar. It's ridiculous she continues to lie and change her stories so many times. If I were the "daycare woman" whom she said took her daughter I would file a lawsuit against her for defamation of character too. The woman stated on television that she had NEVER even met Casey. The woman said people would call and harass her and not leave her be...that's really horrible!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 10 min LogDrop 2,041
Me . . . Morale Day 2 hr bobolinq 1
Driving around Grand Rapids naked! (Oct '11) Thu gun lake exhibiti... 45
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) May 21 Tom h 1,005
Local News Women (Apr '09) May 21 Twinky 2,373
News Want the city to pay for your pothole damage? (Mar '08) May 21 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 55
News Proposed rehab facility near schools spurs push... May 21 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 3
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]