1-stop shopping in Studio 28's future?

1-stop shopping in Studio 28's future?

There are 109 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Dec 2, 2008, titled 1-stop shopping in Studio 28's future?. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

For sale -- 20 acres of prime, commercial real estate located along one of West Michigan's busiest roadways.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Joe

Nashville, TN

#1 Dec 2, 2008
WALMART WALMART!
Thats the store that will take its place

Get ready for more crime Wyoming!
concerned resident

Madison, WI

#2 Dec 2, 2008
Who cares if any of these retailers buy this property the fact is Yes it will create jobs BUT they will be low paying jobs that nobody in this state can live on. 7-8 dollar jobs WOW!!! Come on this state is falling apart and will never recover.Why do we need so many politicians in this state anyways. Why doesn't the government cut jobs to make up for some of the monies they have and are losing? Not an option when it comes to corruption... gees get a reality check.
concerned resident

Madison, WI

#3 Dec 2, 2008
lol Joe how true:)
Rose

Coopersville, MI

#4 Dec 2, 2008
I would like to see Meijer in Wyoming. The residents in GR did not want the improvements to their local Meijer so why not move down the road?
Paul

United States

#5 Dec 2, 2008
concerned resident wrote:
Who cares if any of these retailers buy this property the fact is Yes it will create jobs BUT they will be low paying jobs that nobody in this state can live on. 7-8 dollar jobs WOW!!! Come on this state is falling apart and will never recover.Why do we need so many politicians in this state anyways. Why doesn't the government cut jobs to make up for some of the monies they have and are losing? Not an option when it comes to corruption... gees get a reality check.
You are being short sighted about the jobs created. The employees who work there will need to stop and get gas for their cars, they will go out to eat on lunch or pick something up on the way home from work.
If it is a retail outlet that goes in the additional traffic will help the surrounding businesses. Right now this state needs all the jobs they can get.
So what

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Dec 2, 2008
concerned resident wrote:
Who cares if any of these retailers buy this property the fact is Yes it will create jobs BUT they will be low paying jobs that nobody in this state can live on. 7-8 dollar jobs WOW!!! Come on this state is falling apart and will never recover.Why do we need so many politicians in this state anyways. Why doesn't the government cut jobs to make up for some of the monies they have and are losing? Not an option when it comes to corruption... gees get a reality check.
Hmmm 7-8 dollars per hour verses ZERO dollars per hour. My basic math skills would seem to suggest 7-8 per hour is a much better deal than ZERO.

Unless of course your a welfare rat then why work at all.

“Lucky”

Since: Sep 08

Charm City

#7 Dec 2, 2008
Rose wrote:
I would like to see Meijer in Wyoming. The residents in GR did not want the improvements to their local Meijer so why not move down the road?
This is exactly what I was thinking.
concerned resident

Madison, WI

#9 Dec 2, 2008
I know what I am talking about ...I work for a automotive supplier in the local area and am barely hanging on and I make double what they would be paying. You cannot live on 7-8 dollars an hour especially after the TAXES. Maybe if you were single and had no life at all. But when you have kids it makes it even harder. Yes jobs are always good but when you live in a state such as Michigan which has one of the highest tax brackets in the nation GOOD LUCK!!
Kottie Hawks

Utica, MI

#10 Dec 2, 2008
What about an adult movieplex? Extra butter for your popcorn anyone?
concerned resident

Madison, WI

#11 Dec 2, 2008
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being short sighted about the jobs created. The employees who work there will need to stop and get gas for their cars, they will go out to eat on lunch or pick something up on the way home from work.
If it is a retail outlet that goes in the additional traffic will help the surrounding businesses. Right now this state needs all the jobs they can get.
I go by there on the way home from everyday ... There is a Aldis food store 2 blocks away. A Family Fare store 1/2 block away ..Gas stations all around there and fast food restaurants on every corner. So why another food store?????????
concerned resident

Madison, WI

#12 Dec 2, 2008
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being short sighted about the jobs created. The employees who work there will need to stop and get gas for their cars, they will go out to eat on lunch or pick something up on the way home from work.
If it is a retail outlet that goes in the additional traffic will help the surrounding businesses. Right now this state needs all the jobs they can get.
Oh yeah and a Duthlers family food store in the same parking lot as Family Fare( opposite end of parking lot)
concerned resident

Madison, WI

#13 Dec 2, 2008
Kottie Hawks wrote:
What about an adult movieplex? Extra butter for your popcorn anyone?
LOL love it

“91 Whiskey”

Since: Nov 08

Grand Rapids

#14 Dec 2, 2008
Rose wrote:
The residents in GR did not want the improvements to their local Meijer so why not move down the road?
I live on Eastern near Alger and I can say that I am not happy with the way things turned out. All the neighbors in my area feel the same way. I feel that if all sides would have worked together, they could have come up with a plan that was mutually acceptable. But since both sides were stubborn and set in their ways, all we get is nothing. The way that store is set up is ridiculous. It has no flow to it what so ever.

Since: Aug 08

Hopkins, MI

#15 Dec 2, 2008
I used to live @ 34th & Division, I NEVER went to the Meijers at 28th & KZoo, I opted for the one at 54th, it was safer & cleaner. I do think that putting anything in there would be a good idea, the area does have plenty of fast food resturants that people are willing to spend their money at or they wouldn't be open. Walmart would be a good option, there isn't one centerally located to the area and while I agree it would be minimum wage jobs, there are plenty of ways to advance in a career, people working at Michaels Arts & Crafts, Baby's R Us, Burger King, etc., most start out at minimum wage and advance. Why the negative attitudes? I can promise you there wasn't much money to be made dishing out popcorn. While we all loved Studio 28, there was a reason it closed, now that Klingman's is in the area it gives it a more high end appeal, it'd be great if another big nice store came in. Walmart may not be your first choice & while the area does have a lot of grocery stores that is not the only thing Walmart offers. It would save having to drive to the mall for most things, electronics, etc. Instead of listing off reasons of why we shouldn't do it and who's jobs we should be knocking out, lets put a positive spin on it and think of what this great open opportunity can do for someone willing to invest in Grand Rapids.
john d

Mecosta, MI

#16 Dec 2, 2008
i totally agree. it will be the wal-mart with not only a crappy "physicians" office and 5 minute Eye-Care Palace but complete with 5 giant walmart movie screens complete with 5 minutes of commercials about how great the store is and security cameras every 5 feet. they will also sell movie tickets for a dollar less so they can shut down all the other movie theatres in the area. it wont matter though, ive realized that rich or poor, my 7th grade teacher once told me "the masses are asses" and now that im almost 30 i think about that quite often and how nobody really cares whats going on. if they did they would just not shop there and shut the place down but we can get enough intelligent people together to do anything about it just like everything else.
Joe wrote:
WALMART WALMART!
Thats the store that will take its place
Get ready for more crime Wyoming!
Driving While Typing

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Dec 2, 2008
I say just leave it as green space for all to enjoy. Why does everything need to be blacktop?
say what

Denver, CO

#18 Dec 2, 2008
Kevz wrote:
<quoted text> I live on Eastern near Alger and I can say that I am not happy with the way things turned out. All the neighbors in my area feel the same way. I feel that if all sides would have worked together, they could have come up with a plan that was mutually acceptable. But since both sides were stubborn and set in their ways, all we get is nothing. The way that store is set up is ridiculous. It has no flow to it what so ever.
And because Grand Rapids city council was being stubborn (and stupid) they have set themselves up to lose a business that I'm sure contributes a good deal to their tax base. And they cry poor-mouth all the day long. Guess they're not so poor they can't afford to lose businesses to a nearby city.
B-I-G

United States

#19 Dec 2, 2008
so, my dear wyoming residents, what do you all suggest we put there if it's not a food store? What would last here? How about a night club with a country night, a latino night, and a hip hop night? Skating rink? Bowling alley?
Rover

AOL

#20 Dec 2, 2008
Meijer is clearly letting it's 28th/Kalamazoo locale fizzle. The floors are crumbling, the entryways are filthy and the restrooms are nothing short of third world. Regardless of what some arbitrary spokesperson told Heartwell, I believe there is a long-range plan to vacate the property. If GR won't work with Meijer, maybe Wyoming will!

“Radical Religious Right”

Since: Jun 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#21 Dec 2, 2008
Joe wrote:
WALMART WALMART!
Thats the store that will take its place
Get ready for more crime Wyoming!
There's not already crime in Wyoming? What the heck do you call it then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KJC's Very Own Things To Write Here On Topix 23 hr Kelly Joanne Cannon 28
Local News Women (Apr '09) Thu Insultagook 3,219
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Thu lynn 195
Review: TerryTown RV Superstore (Aug '15) Feb 14 Barbara West 6
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Feb 10 Julie V 1,217
News WZZM13 - Jury gets case in murder of gang member (May '07) Jan 30 a democrat mayor 20
White women are the biggest hypocrites. (Jul '17) Jan 29 White Coat 7

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages