Deputies Identify Woman Killed in Fie...

Deputies Identify Woman Killed in Fiery Crash

There are 25 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Sep 29, 2007, titled Deputies Identify Woman Killed in Fiery Crash. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Kent County deputies have released the name of a woman killed in a fiery crash Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tubby - Grand Rapids

Jonesboro, LA

#1 Sep 29, 2007
I don't understand - why did "Deputies" release the name of the victim - this was a City accident on a City street - yes the unfortunate woman was from northern Kent County - but - since when does our City request the help of Kent County to release names? Just curious.

Since: Aug 07

Pueblo, CO

#2 Sep 30, 2007
Why not release her name?

“MI needs the death penalty! ”

Since: Jun 07

Kalkaska

#3 Sep 30, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the county handled the accident. It would then fall upon them to do any press release of info. Having said that, what difference does it make, which department gives the release?
Tubby - Grand Rapids

Stevensville, MI

#4 Sep 30, 2007
8Ball wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the county handled the accident. It would then fall upon them to do any press release of info. Having said that, what difference does it make, which department gives the release?
Channel 13 did a VERY poor job with this story from the beginning - first they said it happened near 1 am, wrong- it actually happened after 2 am - then they said it was about 1/2 mile from Vitalies on Leonard - wrong - it's not anywhere near Vitalies - now they are saying Deputies released the name-wrong again - Deputies had NO involvement with this accident whatsoever. It's called "Journalism 101" - zzm never seems to get it right & this isn't the first time. It's quite simple actually - you "research your info" BEFORE you print it. So, with that being said-you'd be Ok with The Mesick Police Dept releasing names of victims here in the our City?

“MI needs the death penalty! ”

Since: Jun 07

Kalkaska

#5 Sep 30, 2007
13 gets the story wrong more often than right. They even reported wrong on my house fire. However, 8 is also reporting that KC released the info. To add to it, the Press is reporting that GRPD released the name. Pick your poison. I must question KC releasing the wrong name. Can't find anything on that and if true, that alone would be a big story after the mistake made in the IN crash and wrong ID issue. As for the time, I wouldn't guibble of a few minutes one way or the other. Everything I saw has been 1:45am. Also given the location of the accident and the action in GR at that time, KC could have very likely responded to this accident. As long as they get it right I don't care if Walla Walla give a press release. GR needs all the help they can get. No matter, my heart goes out to the family.
Tubby - Grand Rapids

Stevensville, MI

#6 Sep 30, 2007
8Ball wrote:
13 gets the story wrong more often than right. They even reported wrong on my house fire. However, 8 is also reporting that KC released the info. To add to it, the Press is reporting that GRPD released the name. Pick your poison. I must question KC releasing the wrong name. Can't find anything on that and if true, that alone would be a big story after the mistake made in the IN crash and wrong ID issue. As for the time, I wouldn't guibble of a few minutes one way or the other. Everything I saw has been 1:45am. Also given the location of the accident and the action in GR at that time, KC could have very likely responded to this accident. As long as they get it right I don't care if Walla Walla give a press release. GR needs all the help they can get. No matter, my heart goes out to the family.
Well said. Her name was April Laarman - 26 years old, a 1999 graduate of Sparta High School. Her Obituary is in the Press. Very unfortunate situation and very preventable. She was apparently lost after leaving a bar and was chatting on her cell phone at the time of impact. That info comes from "a friend" that is close to the situation. Kent County was not involved here other than maybe having to notify her relatives in Sparta. Grand Rapids Police are doing just fine - they didn't need help on this one, nor do they need help with others & yes, my thoughts & prayers with April's Family.
Sarah

Korea

#7 Sep 30, 2007
Tubby - Grand Rapids wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. Her name was April Laarman - 26 years old, a 1999 graduate of Sparta High School. Her Obituary is in the Press. Very unfortunate situation and very preventable. She was apparently lost after leaving a bar and was chatting on her cell phone at the time of impact. That info comes from "a friend" that is close to the situation. Kent County was not involved here other than maybe having to notify her relatives in Sparta. Grand Rapids Police are doing just fine - they didn't need help on this one, nor do they need help with others & yes, my thoughts & prayers with April's Family.
Well put! I have been reading comments and the earlier news story before releasing her name someone had commented about alcohol being a factor and it wasnt. People need to quit rambling on about thing they dont know about.
~Fellow Sparta graduate
Tubby - Grand Rapids

Stevensville, MI

#8 Oct 1, 2007
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Well put! I have been reading comments and the earlier news story before releasing her name someone had commented about alcohol being a factor and it wasnt. People need to quit rambling on about thing they dont know about.
~Fellow Sparta graduate
Sorry for your loss Sarah - she sounded like a really talented & gifted young Lady - I'm sorry I never had the chance to know her.
Kelly-Rockford

Pueblo, CO

#9 Oct 4, 2007
Alcohol was a factor and fighting with her boyfriend. They were both heavy Heavy drinkers. It is just tragic that she hooked up with the wrong guy. bad news.
Kelly-Rockford

Pueblo, CO

#10 Oct 4, 2007
Her friend has been in trouble several times for alcohol.
Deanna - Rockford

Lapeer, MI

#11 Oct 6, 2007
Kelly-Rockford wrote:
Reading the comments left on this page has left me extremely disturbed. April Laarman was a very good friend of mine. To see people (whom probally didn't even know her) passing judgement on a car accident that KILLED another human-being is totally digusting!
Alcohol or no-alcohol...it shouldn't matter. No one deserves a death like that. A very much loved person is dead. And I really feel that if you didn't know her or her wonderful boyfriend; Chris, who is sickened with grief over her death, then you may want to consider keeping your opinions to yourself.
Deanna - Rockford

Lapeer, MI

#12 Oct 6, 2007
Kelly-Rockford wrote:
P.S.- No she was NOT fighting with Chris, her boyfriend...get another source for your info. sweetie.
amanda the roommate

Coopersville, MI

#13 Oct 6, 2007
April was my roommate. I was the one who was talking to her on the cell phone. NOT Chatting. She was lost and I was helping her. She was my best friend and for people to be talking about her accident is totally inapproiate. She and Chris are to of the best people I have every met and sorry Kelly appartently you have not have the pleasure of meeting either one of them cuz you would be running your mouth so much. Chris is an amazing man and April loved him very much. You have any question cuz appartently your facts are not straight you need to call me my name is amanda bell I am in the phone book and I would be MORE then happy to set you straight and to answer any of your questions because appartently you are a very confused little girl. You need to shut your mouth about april and chris and call me so we can discuss this privetly not posted all over the internet. Have some clooth!!!
Deanna - Rockford

Lapeer, MI

#14 Oct 6, 2007
hey

“Hoping to see some good news”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#15 Oct 6, 2007
I am so sorry Amanda and everyone else for your loss. I have been lost and called my husband on my cell phone to have him mapquest where I am and where to go from there.

It is just all so sad, I will pray for everyone involved.
Kelly

Arvada, CO

#16 Oct 6, 2007
this is chris....do i know you?
Deanna - Rockford

Lapeer, MI

#17 Oct 7, 2007
If you were Chris...April's boyfriend...you would know who we are. It seems to me you are messed up saying you are Chris...when the name tag says Kelly - Rockford.
yes it does

Riverside, CA

#18 Oct 7, 2007
Deanna - Rockford wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading the comments left on this page has left me extremely disturbed. April Laarman was a very good friend of mine. To see people (whom probally didn't even know her) passing judgement on a car accident that KILLED another human-being is totally digusting!
Alcohol or no-alcohol...it shouldn't matter. No one deserves a death like that. A very much loved person is dead. And I really feel that if you didn't know her or her wonderful boyfriend; Chris, who is sickened with grief over her death, then you may want to consider keeping your opinions to yourself.
"Alcohol or no-alcohol...it shouldn't matter.".....Wrong!!! it does matter...sorry for the loss of your friend, but it does matter...impaired judgement as a result of alcohol does matter....it matters because alcohol impairs ones ability to multi-task---something one must be able to do while driving....please dont think alcohol doesnt matter...it does, it did, please people learn from this...
amanda the roommate

Coopersville, MI

#19 Oct 7, 2007
I agree with you alcohol does matter and I don't agree with drinking and driving. The point is that someone died who was greatly loved and made a poor decision that ended her life. My point is people shouldn't be discussing the facts of her accident unless you know the facts and not assuming things. It was very tragic and everyone close to her is heartbroken and that is the only thing that matters in this situation. Hopefully people can learn from her accident without insulting her memory!!!!

“Hoping to see some good news”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#20 Oct 7, 2007
Amanda please do what we have suggested others to do in the past.

Create a memorials page at www.mlive.com where you can moderate and screen postings made to reflect the memories you want to read.

This is a free speech zone, the good and the bad will be posted. Unless it violates the TOS of Topix it will stay posted, so please save yourself some grief and create a memorials page.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News a Very conservativea platform, Pence VP pick me... 4 hr RushFan666 16
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Fri Idea Maker 11
Politics aside, I'm sick of Beyonce Fri Idea Maker 1
Give Yourselves To Muhammad! Thu BubbaAli 2
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jul 20 Mi Hung 2,667
Review: TerryTown RV Superstore (Aug '15) Jul 18 SWheeler 5
Donald Trump has no chance Jul 18 good grief anyhow 48

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance