Maryland man arrested for soliciting 14 year old Fruitport girl

Baltimore County police say they have arrested an Essex, Md. man for solicitation of a 14-year-old Michigan girl over the Internet. Full Story

Since: Feb 08

Tri-cities area

#21 Feb 20, 2008
Lisa in Walker wrote:
Okay, look people. Teenage girls get a real rush when an older guy shows interest in them and they are way too naive to believe that there is anything bad that could possibly happen to them. I know. I was 14 once, too. The guy says, "We won't do ANYTHING that you don't want to do. You're so pretty and sweet. I would never do anything to hurt you." Next thing the you know she's fantasizing about the two of them on a romantic cruise or walking down the aisle together while HE'S fantasizing about all of the disgusting perverted things he will do to her before he kills her and dumps her body in some remote swamp.
That's why ALL parents should tell their kids up front about all of the sick twisted people out there who will say anything to make kids trust them. The kids won't know any better unless WE AS PARENTS DO OUR JOBS and tell them about it. We can even show them- there's a website called "The Dead Kids of MySpace" that tells the story of every kid that hits the news that was a victim of an internet predator. It is our job to create internet savvy kids. We can't just expect them to know this stuff right out of the gate and we can't just bury our heads in the sand and hope it won't happen. To blame the girl in this story is just wrong.
OMG Lisa! You are so right!!! Thanks for sharing some personal stuff to back up the reality of it all.
Children live what they learn. I feel for the parents, I really do and I'm sure they are beating themselves up far worse than we can imagine. Hopefully they take this as a wake-up call and pay a little more attention to their child/children.
I just love it when parents tell there kids that they will never trust them again when it was more than likely the child stopped trusting them to get their basic human needs met.
I just can't imagine a child who feels loved, honored, protected and even respected would need to get those needs met somewhere else. As a parent, I think the hardest thing I had to do was talk to my son about puberty when he was 12. His dad was not around to do it and I was struggling to understand his physical and behavioral changes.
I could of took the easy way out and just asked a male relative to talk to him, but that would not have had the impact on our relatonship that was very strained at the time. Like you, I went back in time and remembered the way my parents handled those issues (basically, they didn't. The SHAME factor was too big) and I remembered the issues I brought into my adult life because of their ignorance.(I don't blame them, they were only living what they learned).
I needed to educate myself about the male body (I'm leaving myself wide open here, aren't I? LOL)
AND the information available and resources available to him if need be. The other hard thing was to let go of that SHAME factor that I was taught. This is no longer my fathers generation nor mine either and it requires change if we want to understand and be a positive force in this generation.
O.K. I'm going to get off my soap box now and go turn on Dr.Phil!
Thanks for listening and good mental health to you all.:-)
Harley

Janesville, WI

#22 Feb 20, 2008
I just don't understand these people anymore. How can anyone get their jollies from a little kid? Sick f'n people now days. I'm about to have a little girl and you can bet your sweet ass that I will not be letting her on the computer at home to "chat" with people and I will monitor it. I'll be damned if I let anyone touch my little girl and I swear to god if they do I will call the cops and tell them, "you better find him before I do".

Grand Haven

#23 Feb 20, 2008
nunya wrote:
<quoted text>
So which is it? the perverts side or the victims? You chose both?
Pervert is a pervert is a pervert!!!!
Did the girl show serious lack of judgement? Yes of course she did. There is a good reason 14 is under the age of consent.. Lack of maturity in judgement is number 1 reason.
NO I chose the victims side, I was just posing the question. No I dont think it is right obviously this guy was talking to her, I just know from personal experience (I have a teenage stepdaughter that lives with her mom, and we found out she lies about her age on the internet, her mom could care less) that these girls do it.
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

#24 Feb 20, 2008
Let me guess... the parents of the 14 year-old girl were too busy shopping at Pottery Barn to care what she was surfing on the Internet.

And to the person who wrote "not all offenders are horrible people" ... you are clearly out of touch with reality. Are you one of those who think they actually should have rights after abusing a child?
(Okay, you have the right to a blindfold as you face the firing squad, coward.)

Portage, MI

#25 Feb 20, 2008
Big Mark wrote:
Castration with a good beating is the only answer.
These sick @$#$* need a tattoo the size of a dollar bill on either there foreheads or neck as a warning to all.
I do have more suggestions but I probably said enough to be considered a HATE Crime .
What is this country coming too?
Are you kidding? This kind of thing has been going on for hundreds of years. It's just now when the Internet came aboard and the the population could flirt via computer with a correct name or face that it's finally gaining some long over due attention from parents and law inforcement. It's only going to continue to become worse as our population grows by the minute. I have watched that show a few times to catch a preditor and they still continue even though they know they are entering a trap. It's crazy. What are pepole thinking. That is why we have laws in the books from many many years ago concerning the age of consentual sex & such. In many cases the younger part of the involved are just as guilty as the preditor themself. It does not make it right by no means, due to the older preditor knows it's very wrong just due to age! I remember when I was in early high school, most of the freshman girls want an older guy with a car. they had little interest in a guy their own age due to the car thing and the ability to feel older than what their true age was. I personally do not know how to fix the problem, but if I ever see it being done in front of me? I will step in and let my fingers dial 911 and will not keep my mouth shut! A preditor absulutily does not get what they deserve from the law!

“Who Cares?”

Since: Jan 08

Muskegon

#26 Feb 20, 2008
Tom wrote:
I agree 100% IDC. I have no sympathy for the man, however the 14 yr old needs to be held accountable as well.
It says this went on since december, she was obviously into it, and should be charged with soliciting sex as well. There are no lines in this case, both parties participated, and the girl knew what she was doing. A fine needs to be in order ATLEAST.
Please tell me that you are not serious? He brain washed a LITTLR girl. How is it in any way her fault? This sick S O B is the only one who something wrong. Kids do dumb things say dumb things. We as adults are supposed to protect them, not take advantage of their innocence. Ther has to be something wrong with you for you to place any blame on a 14 year old girl.

“Who Cares?”

Muskegon

#27 Feb 20, 2008
As I go and read more posts. How can anyone place any blame at all on the girl.(Adults) are supposed to protect children!! ALL CHILDREN whether they have low self~esteem or whatever. The girl has done nothing, but be a 14 year old girl. I do agree she must have had some clue that this was wrong, BUT AGAIN she is 14 and eaisly manipulated. This guy will not get what he deserves I am sure, but I sure hope he gets close to it.

Tri-cities area

#28 Feb 20, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell me that you are not serious? He brain washed a LITTLR girl. How is it in any way her fault? This sick S O B is the only one who something wrong. Kids do dumb things say dumb things. We as adults are supposed to protect them, not take advantage of their innocence. Ther has to be something wrong with you for you to place any blame on a 14 year old girl.
AMEN ANGEL!

Portage, MI

#29 Feb 20, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
As I go and read more posts. How can anyone place any blame at all on the girl.(Adults) are supposed to protect children!! ALL CHILDREN whether they have low self~esteem or whatever. The girl has done nothing, but be a 14 year old girl. I do agree she must have had some clue that this was wrong, BUT AGAIN she is 14 and eaisly manipulated. This guy will not get what he deserves I am sure, but I sure hope he gets close to it.
You are correct about the young being easy to munipulate. That's what makes it so wrong on the adults action due to be plenty old enough to know better. I am sure the guy most likely started the chat and the girl not knowing where the chat was taking her just followed right along. You are also right about this guy will not get what he deserves from the law. Our laws concerning sexual assult and this type of thing need to go back to the way they were in midevel times (Castration) Maybe never happened here? But it use to happen at some time.

“Who Cares?”

Muskegon

#30 Feb 20, 2008
Randy Whitten wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct about the young being easy to munipulate. That's what makes it so wrong on the adults action due to be plenty old enough to know better. I am sure the guy most likely started the chat and the girl not knowing where the chat was taking her just followed right along. You are also right about this guy will not get what he deserves from the law. Our laws concerning sexual assult and this type of thing need to go back to the way they were in midevel times (Castration) Maybe never happened here? But it use to happen at some time.
Angel~~~ Nod's in agreement.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

#31 Feb 20, 2008
Ahem, Incinerator please.

Since: Nov 07

United States

#32 Feb 20, 2008
The pervert needs punishment he was intending to commit a crime. YES

The 14 year old hopefully she got a wake-up call, along with the mother. What did the mother think she was doing on the computer, didn't she ever check to see what she was doing? Obviously she finally did, Thank god we're responding to this rather than another outcome.

Question for parents here? How many of you monitor your childrens myspace pages and their friends and have contacted another parent with a comment or an answer on one of those stupid surveys, b/c those are what tend to lead people in the wrong direction. And They also get the wrong perseption of people with little white lies, and they don't even realize it.

As parents we do need to be more involved and if we can't then atleast educate our own to know right from wrong. As for the internet if you can't trust them get rid of it(internet).

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#33 Feb 20, 2008
My children don't have access to the home computer unless my husband and I are sitting right there, watching them. But, I won't say anymore on that, because the last time I did, I was lamb-basted and called over-protective.

The parents are also at fault, here.

“Who Cares?”

Muskegon

#34 Feb 20, 2008
Lucy in Rockford wrote:
My children don't have access to the home computer unless my husband and I are sitting right there, watching them. But, I won't say anymore on that, because the last time I did, I was lamb-basted and called over-protective.
The parents are also at fault, here.
No no no no. The parents may be at fault for not catching something eairler. But they are by no means AT FAULT! The sick guy who did this is at fault and complete fault. The girl,or the parents could have done things differently, but that does not put the blame on them. At all. If it was not this girl it may have been some other! So lets all be happy this guy got caught, by parents who gave a rip.

Tri-cities area

#35 Feb 20, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
<quoted text>
No no no no. The parents may be at fault for not catching something eairler. But they are by no means AT FAULT! The sick guy who did this is at fault and complete fault. The girl,or the parents could have done things differently, but that does not put the blame on them. At all. If it was not this girl it may have been some other! So lets all be happy this guy got caught, by parents who gave a rip.
My bad. I have to admit that I didn't "read the whole story" so I didn't see where the mother found the information on the computer. Kids are much more savvy than most of us when it comes to computers. When I found out my son was blocking ME from finding out things on our computer (his friends blabbed:-)!)instead of immediately jumping to conclusions, I asked him how to teach me how to hide something on the computer. Given an opportunity for a child to teach their parent something, they will tell you anything you want to know!!!! After getting his passwords and such, I was blessed to find out that nothing was going on. Had I just started accusing him, I could of lost his trust in me. Of course if I would have found something and addressed it with him and turned into my fault because I was snooping (love it when they do that), I would remind him who taught me how to do this and I must of hit the wrong button or something. Blame the teacher!!! Hee Hee.
As parents, we need to think like these kids think nowdays (OMG, I'm my mother!). The best thing we can do is STAY INFORMED and STAY INVOLVED.

“Who Cares?”

Muskegon

#36 Feb 20, 2008
Yes, stay informed and involved. That is a key to help parents stay on top of these things.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#37 Feb 20, 2008
And remember, they might be kids, but they'll argue the point with you from now to doomsday. My younger daughter thought she should be allowed to date when her older sister (3 yrs. older) started dating. We were being unfair to her. And don't call her a kid! She was not a kid! We had quite some battles on that.

“Who Cares?”

Muskegon

#38 Feb 20, 2008
The parents have to be just that "parents." Not their kid's friend's. I mean we all want that, but when it comes time you have to know when to put your foot down. Yuo have to be the parent. Be the bad guy. Let them think they hate you. Someday they will see how you only wanted the best for them.

Location hidden

#39 Feb 20, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
Yes, stay informed and involved. That is a key to help parents stay on top of these things.
And part of being involved is knowing what your child does while on the computer.

'Nuff said.

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#40 Feb 20, 2008
This guy is a sicko, and needs some serious help.

The girl needs to be watched more closely by her parents, this is surely just one of thousands of creepy people who frequent the internet. Fortunately, this guy was caught before he ended up hurting this little girl.

Hopefully when he gets to prison, all the guys will know he was looking for a little girlfriend if you know what I mean, and he finds a really nice one in prison.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 1,396
Bengazi is back 9 hr Oneal 153
One dead, another injured, in Montcalm Co. shoo... (Jun '08) 11 hr shutthefuckup 676
Benghazi Cash Grab! 16 hr Gville Jim 17
Obama Silent On 17 hr Gville Jim 3
Millennials To Obamacare: F That! (Mar '14) Mon Oneal 9
Pen pals wanted! Would you like to be my pen pal? Sat TheOne 4

Grand Rapids Jobs

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]