Maryland man arrested for soliciting 14 year old Fruitport girl

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Baltimore County police say they have arrested an Essex, Md. man for solicitation of a 14-year-old Michigan girl over the Internet.
Comments
1 - 20 of 83 Comments Last updated Apr 8, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
IDC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

That's just wrong from all sides... at 14 the last thing I wanted to do was talk to someone that much older than me. What was she thinking? Maybe she doesn't get enough attention at home or her mom wouldn't have taken months to find out what she was doing online and shame on that guy. disgusting!

Since: Feb 08

Grand Haven

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Does anyone see the problem here? Just goes to show that sex offenders CANNOT be rehabilitated
Tom

Sparta, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

I agree 100% IDC. I have no sympathy for the man, however the 14 yr old needs to be held accountable as well.

It says this went on since december, she was obviously into it, and should be charged with soliciting sex as well. There are no lines in this case, both parties participated, and the girl knew what she was doing. A fine needs to be in order ATLEAST.

“Secure our borders!!!”

Since: Jun 07

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Castration with a good beating is the only answer.
These sick @$#$* need a tattoo the size of a dollar bill on either there foreheads or neck as a warning to all.
I do have more suggestions but I probably said enough to be considered a HATE Crime .
What is this country coming too?
Baruch HaShem

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

All sex offenders found guilty by the courts should be dyed in a light purple color from head to toe. This dye will not be able to wash off no matter what the offender tries to do, gas, alcohol, paint thinner..etc. It will not come off, they will be allowed to be out in society but by the color, the will be identified as a sex offender.
Similar to what our Heavenly Father did to Cain, let then enjoy life in society after they done the crime.
God Bless America.
Argh

Stanton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

What a sick creep!

And I'll take crud for this, but how come the parents of this 14 year old child were not monitoring her computer access! And before people say that you can't. YOU CAN! It is very very easy to do!! You just freakin' do it! Get involved with your kids and what they are doing online, or don't let them BE ONLINE!

Since: Feb 08

Grand Haven

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

I wonder if she told him her real age???? Alot of girls on the internet lie about their age, which is sooooo wrong
Lisa

Spring Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

wow... how scary.
Slow news day

Mount Juliet, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

How about permanent sodomization of sex offenders, along with castration?
Tom

Sparta, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Nice, I like how with 6 more replies, only 1 person even mentions that faults of the child. Even then mentioning the parents.

The child knew what she was doing, she would not of carried on a conversation for over a month if she didnt.

Ofcourse the man should be punished to the full extent, but it takes two to tango, she gave him her address and information. I doubt he said Ill come over and watch Harry Potter and bring cookies.
Neko

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

The scumbag needs to be "emasculated"! The only way to "cure" a sex offender!

How many people will he have to "snitch" on to get his freedom back?

(Plenty of sex offenders in West Michigan walking the streets in exchange for "information"...this has got to stop!)
nunya

La Crosse, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

HunterandBellas momma wrote:
I wonder if she told him her real age???? Alot of girls on the internet lie about their age, which is sooooo wrong
So which is it? the perverts side or the victims? You chose both?
Pervert is a pervert is a pervert!!!!
Did the girl show serious lack of judgement? Yes of course she did. There is a good reason 14 is under the age of consent.. Lack of maturity in judgement is number 1 reason.
disgusted

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

I hope that he fries, but we can't do that anymore, we have to sit there and put him in somekind of a mental facility and wonder what went wrong!!
And to the parents, I am glad that you finally monitored what your child was doing online, that is exactly what needs to happen. If you feel you can't watch what your children are doing online, then maybe you should be held accountable for thier actions the same as this perv. Grow up parents and quit letting your children run your life. YOU are the "GROWN UPS" act like it, how else are your kids supposed to learn!!!! If you think your children are all angels then just do a little bit of parenting and start watching what they are doing online when you think they are just playing games. You really might be supprised that your kids are not all innocent angels out there and a little scrutinity might be needed.
Lisa in Walker

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Okay, look people. Teenage girls get a real rush when an older guy shows interest in them and they are way too naive to believe that there is anything bad that could possibly happen to them. I know. I was 14 once, too. The guy says, "We won't do ANYTHING that you don't want to do. You're so pretty and sweet. I would never do anything to hurt you." Next thing the you know she's fantasizing about the two of them on a romantic cruise or walking down the aisle together while HE'S fantasizing about all of the disgusting perverted things he will do to her before he kills her and dumps her body in some remote swamp.

That's why ALL parents should tell their kids up front about all of the sick twisted people out there who will say anything to make kids trust them. The kids won't know any better unless WE AS PARENTS DO OUR JOBS and tell them about it. We can even show them- there's a website called "The Dead Kids of MySpace" that tells the story of every kid that hits the news that was a victim of an internet predator. It is our job to create internet savvy kids. We can't just expect them to know this stuff right out of the gate and we can't just bury our heads in the sand and hope it won't happen. To blame the girl in this story is just wrong.
IDC

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Lisa in Walker wrote:
Okay, look people. Teenage girls get a real rush when an older guy shows interest in them and they are way too naive to believe that there is anything bad that could possibly happen to them. I know. I was 14 once, too. The guy says, "We won't do ANYTHING that you don't want to do. You're so pretty and sweet. I would never do anything to hurt you." Next thing the you know she's fantasizing about the two of them on a romantic cruise or walking down the aisle together while HE'S fantasizing about all of the disgusting perverted things he will do to her before he kills her and dumps her body in some remote swamp.
That's why ALL parents should tell their kids up front about all of the sick twisted people out there who will say anything to make kids trust them. The kids won't know any better unless WE AS PARENTS DO OUR JOBS and tell them about it. We can even show them- there's a website called "The Dead Kids of MySpace" that tells the story of every kid that hits the news that was a victim of an internet predator. It is our job to create internet savvy kids. We can't just expect them to know this stuff right out of the gate and we can't just bury our heads in the sand and hope it won't happen. To blame the girl in this story is just wrong.
Maybe teenage girls with low self esteem needing to seek out the attention they need wether it be positive or negative. Either way it was wrong and no he shouldn't be excused for his behavior but she as well had to know what she was doing no one but her and him will know the true story. Most people that young that would reach out to someone they don't know and in that manner are looking for something they are lacking.

I agree with you on parents needing to be upfront about what can happen when the internet is used improperly. Computers should be taken out of bedrooms and put where they can be monitored while on them.

Do I blame her? No. I will say however at 14 she should have enough common sense at this point to know that getting involved with a man that age and over the internet was wrong.
Lisa in Walker

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

IDC wrote:
<quoted text>I will say however at 14 she should have enough common sense at this point to know that getting involved with a man that age and over the internet was wrong.
Common sense at 14? I don't think so. Maybe she knew that if her mom found out she would get into trouble. But to actually have an understanding of why it is wrong, why it is so dangerous, and why she would get into trouble with her mom? No. I don't think she had a clue.
You may be right, however, that something is lacking or she would not be seeking such attention. However, any teenage girl who gets the time of day from an older guy can go "ga ga" and turn into putty in his hands.
grr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

ravenna is not fruitport dammit
wait now

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

not all sex offenders are horrible some people just get stuck with because of bf/gf crazy parents. I have friends who are the sex offender list just because they were 16 and there gf or bf was 15 at the time and the parents didnt approve and they thought it was nescessary to contact the police and now they have to be on that list for the rest of there life.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2008

How many sex offenders are living in your neighborhood who are not on any list because they have never been convicted?How often don't you see a story about a trusted person who molested a child? Don't feel safe because there is a list of convicted sex offenders. The unknown ones are much more dangerous because you trust them since they are scout leaders, ministers, or police. Plus you know absolutely nothing about the guy on the internet.
IDC

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2008

Lisa in Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense at 14? I don't think so. Maybe she knew that if her mom found out she would get into trouble. But to actually have an understanding of why it is wrong, why it is so dangerous, and why she would get into trouble with her mom? No. I don't think she had a clue.
You may be right, however, that something is lacking or she would not be seeking such attention. However, any teenage girl who gets the time of day from an older guy can go "ga ga" and turn into putty in his hands.
Yes, I think at that age people should know better. I did. Was in a similar situation with no internet involved and in no way went "ga ga" thought it was disgusting that someone would try to get with someone that could be their child. Anywho, there are probably underlying circumstances to why she fell for it and like I said in no way dismisses what he has done or was trying to do yet again and hope he's sentenced fully.

The girl on the other hand, I hope she seeks some sort of counseling and am glad it was all stopped before she actually went through with meeting this man.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 4 hr Buffalo Bull 1,324
why war with isis? 11 hr kookierecluse 17
Liberty University Law School Dean: Gay Marriag... 11 hr DNF 313
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) 15 hr Kelly Hadd 8
Cousins hope to open Grand Rapids' first hostel... 16 hr Faith 3
Local News Women (Apr '09) Tue Zee 2,297
Ellen Bacca Fan Club Tue Lindon 1
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000