Family of shooting victim says they '...

Family of shooting victim says they 'feel robbed'

There are 125 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Mar 27, 2008, titled Family of shooting victim says they 'feel robbed'. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

The relatives of a man shot and killed at a Grand Rapids gas station say they feel robbed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

TheMonk

Holland, MI

#22 Mar 28, 2008
Neko wrote:
More Church/Police State propaganda from TV13...
The VICTIM was the person who pulled the trigger!
Get that FACT straight.
The victim needs to hire a lawyer and sue this cretins family!
Anyone who attacks me can expect to be killed too!(especially NAZI bible freaks!)
Killing Christan's would be hate crime neko.
good thing you cant legally carry a gun.
they don't give permits to nut jobs.
You are the most hateful, unhappy person on the planet, the sooner your locked up the better.
JDK

Lafayette, IN

#23 Mar 28, 2008
JOE wrote:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME.THERE IS NO WAY THAT IS SELF DEFENCE.I SEEN THE VIDEO LAST NIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME AND COMMON SENSE TELLS ME TO JUMP IN THE TRUCK AND SHUT THE DOOR.HE WAS STANDING NEXT TO HIS
TRUCK WITH THE DOOR OPEN.SO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? IF I BUMP INTO HIS GUY IN A STORE OR SOME WHERE HE'S GOING TO PULL HIS LITTLE GUN OUT AND ME BECAUSE I PISSED HIM OFF.THIS IS B.S. ALL THESE LAWYERS AND JUDGES ARE MORONS.THIS IS WHY I DON'T VOTE,BECAUSE THIS STATE AND THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY MORONS ONLY LOOKING OUT FOR THEMSELFS.IF THINK YOU I'M WRONG LOOK AT THE STUPID TRUTLE FENCE IN MUSKEGON.TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
Spell check and proper grammar can do wonders for how intelligent you come off when posting online!
doug

Muskegon, MI

#24 Mar 28, 2008
what would have happend if the wheeling the trash lid killed the other guy???? than what we be saying{wow he had a gun and cwp why didnt he use it!!!}just a diffderent side if he hit the guy
TheMonk

Holland, MI

#25 Mar 28, 2008
I cant believe all the liberal morons here defending a criminal, are you all sick or just stupid?
Criminal...you know...bad guys...
If you want to feel sorry for violent criminals thats up to you, but if you ever get attacked, or someone you love gets attacked, don't call me, call a hippie.
Only a sick twisted liberal bleeding heart liberal would defend a criminal.
some of you people make me sick.

“Common sense RULES ”

Since: Sep 07

West Michigan

#26 Mar 28, 2008
JOE wrote:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME.THERE IS NO WAY THAT IS SELF DEFENCE.I SEEN THE VIDEO LAST NIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME AND COMMON SENSE TELLS ME TO JUMP IN THE TRUCK AND SHUT THE DOOR.HE WAS STANDING NEXT TO HIS
TRUCK WITH THE DOOR OPEN.SO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? IF I BUMP INTO HIS GUY IN A STORE OR SOME WHERE HE'S GOING TO PULL HIS LITTLE GUN OUT AND ME BECAUSE I PISSED HIM OFF.THIS IS B.S. ALL THESE LAWYERS AND JUDGES ARE MORONS.THIS IS WHY I DON'T VOTE,BECAUSE THIS STATE AND THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY MORONS ONLY LOOKING OUT FOR THEMSELFS.IF THINK YOU I'M WRONG LOOK AT THE STUPID TRUTLE FENCE IN MUSKEGON.TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
Calm down and have a normal discussion will ya. Quit spewing your hate, this has nothing to do with turtles. State of Michigan CCW laws are very specific as to when you may use your LEGALLY registered gun for defense. The shooter had no reason to flee when he is legally justified in his actions.

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#27 Mar 28, 2008
She Devil wrote:
Regardless of the many opinions on whether this was a justified shooting or not (and believe me, I've debated it too long), a life is still lost. A father, grandfather, and friend. A family is hurting, including the shooter, who says he is very remorseful. He has to live with his decision too.
What I find troubling and sad, is that Gabe's family is now planning to sue Mr. Tett. Someone who they have known for 30 years. Someone who got into this position by being a friend and giving someone a ride home.
Gabe's family needs to realize that suing will not bring Gabe back. It will not make you feel better, it will not bring closure, and what's worse, what will you feel like if you lose? They are trying to replace Gabe's life with material things (money), which I find appauling and an insult to the memory of Gabe.
If Gabe's family wants to heal their wounds, try reaching out to and grieving with Mr. Tett, and offer forgiveness both ways. Only then will you find peace.
Very Nicely put, She Devil.

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#28 Mar 28, 2008
JDK wrote:
<quoted text>
Kudos on a great point of view! I am a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) holder and activist in the State of Michigan to protect our gun and self defense laws.
You are correct that the gun came out in a very fast time, but the tape does not show that he grabbed it at that very moment, or if he had it in his hand the whole time of the "discussion" of words going back and fourth Tett and the attacker were having.
There is no law in Michigan that states the appropriate time to pull out your pistol if you are legally licensed to carry it. So if during that discussion of words Tett and Rodriquez were having, Rodriguez may have said something threatening before bending down to pick up the trash can lid that made Tett know his life may be in danger. Tett at that point has every legal right to puss his gun out because he is at that point being threatened under Michigan law if he feels his life may be in danger. So I am assuming that is what happened since Tett's testimony is that Rodriguez said he was going to "cut him up" before he reached for the trash can lid. Tett's testimony was that he did not know if he was reaching for a knife, or any other sharp object when he said those words, so that is how he justified the use of his deadly force. In the amount of time Tett said Rodriguez made the verbal threat and bent over to pick up his object, I may have done the same thing.
Your second point, I agree with 100%. NRA instructors that teach the CPL classes will tell you that "now that you have the license, it is not a shield to hide behind when you go out. The places you used to avoid because you were scared of a possible threat should still be avoided so you do not have to use deadly force". I agree with that 100%. If I am carrying my pistol and I know someone who does not like me works at a gas station or restaurant, I am going to avoid that place, because the last thing I want to have to do is use deadly force. It could come off as Tett was pushing his chest out because he has a CPL and can go to where possible threats are because he can use deadly force if he needs to.
Your third point about not picking up the trash can lid is right on as well. But the point about the both of them being low life's... I can't agree with. No matter how you slice the demographics in this country, CPL holders are the most law abiding, psychologically stable demography of people. That is a fact. We are are not allowed to have misdemeanors, felonies, even some traffic violations on our records. We go through extensive classroom and gun range time to know the laws inside and out, and to be evaluated on if we know how to safely and accurately use a pistol. Then once our records are reviewed, the gun boards may even call you in even if you have just a speeding ticket on your record. Then they grill you on that speeding ticket to see if you are psychologically vulnerable in anyway to not be stable enough to carry a pistol in public places.
I like you, you are bringing tears to my eye.
LAKETON

Muskegon, MI

#29 Mar 28, 2008
Nice to read an intelligent comment. Thanks for the info.
JDK wrote:
<quoted text>
Kudos on a great point of view! I am a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) holder and activist in the State of Michigan to protect our gun and self defense laws.
You are correct that the gun came out in a very fast time, but the tape does not show that he grabbed it at that very moment, or if he had it in his hand the whole time of the "discussion" of words going back and fourth Tett and the attacker were having.
There is no law in Michigan that states the appropriate time to pull out your pistol if you are legally licensed to carry it. So if during that discussion of words Tett and Rodriquez were having, Rodriguez may have said something threatening before bending down to pick up the trash can lid that made Tett know his life may be in danger. Tett at that point has every legal right to puss his gun out because he is at that point being threatened under Michigan law if he feels his life may be in danger. So I am assuming that is what happened since Tett's testimony is that Rodriguez said he was going to "cut him up" before he reached for the trash can lid. Tett's testimony was that he did not know if he was reaching for a knife, or any other sharp object when he said those words, so that is how he justified the use of his deadly force. In the amount of time Tett said Rodriguez made the verbal threat and bent over to pick up his object, I may have done the same thing.
Your second point, I agree with 100%. NRA instructors that teach the CPL classes will tell you that "now that you have the license, it is not a shield to hide behind when you go out. The places you used to avoid because you were scared of a possible threat should still be avoided so you do not have to use deadly force". I agree with that 100%. If I am carrying my pistol and I know someone who does not like me works at a gas station or restaurant, I am going to avoid that place, because the last thing I want to have to do is use deadly force. It could come off as Tett was pushing his chest out because he has a CPL and can go to where possible threats are because he can use deadly force if he needs to.
Your third point about not picking up the trash can lid is right on as well. But the point about the both of them being low life's... I can't agree with. No matter how you slice the demographics in this country, CPL holders are the most law abiding, psychologically stable demography of people. That is a fact. We are are not allowed to have misdemeanors, felonies, even some traffic violations on our records. We go through extensive classroom and gun range time to know the laws inside and out, and to be evaluated on if we know how to safely and accurately use a pistol. Then once our records are reviewed, the gun boards may even call you in even if you have just a speeding ticket on your record. Then they grill you on that speeding ticket to see if you are psychologically vulnerable in anyway to not be stable enough to carry a pistol in public places.
Fred

United States

#30 Mar 28, 2008
I feel sorry for the people on both sides of this issue. It angers me though when I see the dead man called the victim. Since when is the person doing the assult concidered the victim? As for the family making statements like the shooter could have left, so could the shootee. It is about time people realize that if you are going to attack someone that person just might be armed. As for Mr.Tett, he did the right thing! I don't care if Rodriguez came at him with a trash can lid or just his fists. He meant to cause harm to Tett! Now Mr.Tett has to put up with all these people calling him the bad guy.
cheeztech

West Bloomfield, MI

#31 Mar 28, 2008
Maybe more people will do just what the family says the shooter should have done only if we all knew the other person had a firearm and before it comes to violating another person it would be a whole diffrent story. What do you think the out come would have been about the woman who was run over and had her pelvis broke with a auto should she have to suffer like she is. What could that outcome look like if she had a gun for protection.
Jay

Muskego, WI

#32 Mar 28, 2008
She Devil wrote:
What I find troubling and sad, is that Gabe's family is now planning to sue Mr. Tett. Someone who they have known for 30 years. Someone who got into this position by being a friend and giving someone a ride home.
Gabe's family needs to realize that suing will not bring Gabe back. It will not make you feel better, it will not bring closure, and what's worse, what will you feel like if you lose? They are trying to replace Gabe's life with material things (money), which I find appalling and an insult to the memory of Gabe.
I believe that per MI law, they cannot sue civilly in this case since Tett was not charged.
JDK

Lafayette, IN

#33 Mar 28, 2008
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that per MI law, they cannot sue civilly in this case since Tett was not charged.
Bingo! If a lawyer were to take this case to court and lose, that lawyer has to pay all legal fees for both parties. This law was enacted a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. It was made so thta if a CPL holder did use his pistol in self defense and the investigation ruled it is justified, liberal lawyers could not take the defending CPL holder to court costing him time and money. Otherwise every single time deadly force was used and justified, the attackers family could easily find a lawyer who would try to throw all sorts of mud on the wall to see what sticks. And that is simply not a fair use of our justice system.
jjjj

United States

#34 Mar 28, 2008
Ya, I love reading these posts. I am all for defending yourself from bodily harm. The problem is, a plastic garbage can lid is not a weapon. I see this law not lasting long.
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

#35 Mar 28, 2008
AMEN--2 wrote:
I hope the thugs of Grand Rapids and surrounding areas are paying attenting to this case. This goes to show that you can not just attack anyone anymore. That person MAY have a gun concealed LEGALLY, and is trained and willing to use it. I would do the exact same thing if someone came at me with a potentially harmful object, or tried to hurt myself or family. I feel bed for the family of the man who died, but like others have said, it is his own fault. How would they feel if he had beat the man with the garbage can lid, and caused bleeding in his brain which may have killed him? The man who did the shooting had every right to defend him self, and I hope that more people will do this. I for one will be watching out for myself and family if anyone threatens me, and I would be willing to use the gun legally attached to my belt.
Bravo. I agree completely. You don't know someone's full intentions when they approach you and the very minute you feel threatened, you have the right to defend yourself. I would have done the exact same thing. I don't want to stand around and have a conversation to be polite to someone who has a weapon of any kind.

Nice that the family of the "victim" is already (and so quickly) thinking about filing a lawsuit. Is anyone really surprised? Black trash. Literally.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#36 Mar 28, 2008
JDK wrote:
<quoted text>
Spell check and proper grammar can do wonders for how intelligent you come off when posting online!
Turning you Caps Lock button off helps a lot too.
Daniel G

United States

#37 Mar 28, 2008
Yes the world is full of Morons and Joe is not!
As the LAW IS WRITTEN this man defended himself against potential bodily harm. Its OK to look back and watch the tape and put words into peoples mouths and even say WHAT THEY MIGHT DO NEXT. The bullet made the MIGHT DO NEXT point moot didn't it. Rodriguze MIGHT have pulled a knife, Tefft didn't know. When you have a split second to react you REACT TO THE SITUATION or your dead.
The point here is this, Tefft acted within the law and rather he should have took a life is a moral question not a legal one at this time. Maybe he shoulda backed away but then who said the other guys didn't have a weapon? Tefft didn't know what the mans intentions were...other than TO COMMIT GREAT BODILY HARM.
As I see it Rodriquiz COULD have left this alone and walked away. HE made the choice to use words AND actions. He was the AGGRESSOR. He picked on the wrong guy thats all it is. Sad all the way around for everyone.
Now about that turtle fence..........
not a golfer

United States

#38 Mar 28, 2008
jjjj wrote:
Ya, I love reading these posts. I am all for defending yourself from bodily harm. The problem is, a plastic garbage can lid is not a weapon. I see this law not lasting long.
Bare hands are even a good deadly weapon. Ask the kids family who's son was killed in front of Margarita grille a couple of months ago. Did you see the video. CLEARLY JUSTIFIED.
dw in gr

Ada, MI

#39 Mar 28, 2008
While it is probable that the shooter was defending himself, last I knew carrying a pistol was not legal. It also seems that a gun against a trash can lid isn't justifiable force. Seems like there should be some kind of charges against the shooter.
If someone was coming at me with a trash can lid, or anything else, I would be afraid, but I wouldn't shoot anyone.
If the shooter was carrying the gun legally, I would think that the licensing procedure and training would preclude him using the gun in this fashion. The video I saw on the news, it seemed that he had the gun in his hand and certainly wasn't fumbling for it.
If a policeman shots his gun, he/she is investigated and removed from duty temporarily. Why not other people with guns?
The whole situation is unfortunate and unfortunately a sign of the degradation of our society...
Sarah

Hastings, MI

#40 Mar 28, 2008
The family of Mr. Rodriguez doesn't seem to realize that he was the one doing the wrong - not the other guy. How would they feel if Mr. Tett had been hit in the head and died from that blow? Should Mr. Rodriguez have gotten a free ride then too? You can't have it both ways. Suing Mr. Tett is absolutely the dumbest thing you are doing. Any judge would throw it right out the courtroom door and say grow up and take responsibility for your actions!!!
Julie

Cross Village, MI

#41 Mar 28, 2008
Well maybe now they know how all of the victims of his past criminal record felt.

I say they are looking for a fast buck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bike licenses for road maintenance 49 min Idea Maker 10
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 10 hr Stewart scott 2,544
bruce jenner!? who cares! Wed Idea Maker 15
Review: Motorhomes 2 Go Aug 31 Jennie 3
Local News Women (Apr '09) Aug 31 Wyn 2,402
Old Thunder Chicken Club - Anyone Remember It? (Mar '07) Aug 30 Mike Barney 19
trump triumphant! Aug 29 Idea Maker 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages