Family of shooting victim says they 'feel robbed'

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

The relatives of a man shot and killed at a Grand Rapids gas station say they feel robbed.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of125
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bertaann79

Paw Paw, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

It's cases like this one that can come back to bit you. Our younger generation will see this and think it's ok to solve a problem with guns, or any kind of violence. This is the very thing every parent fears. My heart goes out to the victims family and friends.
Nancy

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

What kind of prosecuting attorney did he have. Was he able to get off due to his family member being a cop. What was he doing with a gun on the streets in the first place? Did he really feel so threatened that he had to shoot the man in the head. Could he not have dodged the trash can cover????? You better be careful there will be a lot more people carring guns just in case there are any flying trash can covers.....That was totally insane.
JNH

Cheboygan, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

Nancy wrote:
What kind of prosecuting attorney did he have. Was he able to get off due to his family member being a cop. What was he doing with a gun on the streets in the first place? Did he really feel so threatened that he had to shoot the man in the head. Could he not have dodged the trash can cover????? You better be careful there will be a lot more people carring guns just in case there are any flying trash can covers.....That was totally insane.
Fortunately for the good of the people we have a prosecuting attorney who stuck to the law and the law gives individuals the right to defend themselves up to lethal force depending on the circumstances. I feel bad for the family who lost a family member, but unfortunately it was his own fault he was killed. Hopefully his death will be used in a positive note to teach the youth of our city that they alone will face consequences for their actions. Hopefully the next time someone thinks about attacking someone filling their vehicle with gas or someone leaving a bar (Jono) they will think "hey maybe this person is armed and this is not a smart thing to do". If more people were armed the number of senseless attacks, beatings and purse snatches would dramatically decrease.
AMEN

Zeeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

JNH wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately for the good of the people we have a prosecuting attorney who stuck to the law and the law gives individuals the right to defend themselves up to lethal force depending on the circumstances. I feel bad for the family who lost a family member, but unfortunately it was his own fault he was killed. Hopefully his death will be used in a positive note to teach the youth of our city that they alone will face consequences for their actions. Hopefully the next time someone thinks about attacking someone filling their vehicle with gas or someone leaving a bar (Jono) they will think "hey maybe this person is armed and this is not a smart thing to do". If more people were armed the number of senseless attacks, beatings and purse snatches would dramatically decrease.
110% agreed!!
AMEN

Zeeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

JNH wrote:
<quoted text>
110% agreed!!!
AMEN--2

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

I hope the thugs of Grand Rapids and surrounding areas are paying attenting to this case. This goes to show that you can not just attack anyone anymore. That person MAY have a gun concealed LEGALLY, and is trained and willing to use it. I would do the exact same thing if someone came at me with a potentially harmful object, or tried to hurt myself or family. I feel bed for the family of the man who died, but like others have said, it is his own fault. How would they feel if he had beat the man with the garbage can lid, and caused bleeding in his brain which may have killed him? The man who did the shooting had every right to defend him self, and I hope that more people will do this. I for one will be watching out for myself and family if anyone threatens me, and I would be willing to use the gun legally attached to my belt.
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

What if (for whatever reason) he had been carrying the gun illegally? Should he have still used it? He was defending himself, correct?

“I LOVE MY KIDS AND MY MOMMY”

Since: Mar 08

Kentwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

snomad wrote:
What if (for whatever reason) he had been carrying the gun illegally? Should he have still used it? He was defending himself, correct?
BUT HE WAS CARRYING HIS WEAPON LEGALLY. so your point is mute.

Since: Mar 08

Coldwater, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Even if he was not carrying the gun legally, he would still not be at fault for shooting him. He may however get in trouble for having the gun on him . I think no matter what he reacted the best way he knew how for the circumstances. You have a split second to react and why would he let the man beat him with the trash can. You did not see the Shooter going up to the victim, you see the victim going up to the shooter.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

That gun sure came out of Tett's pocket pretty fast, didn't it? He was ready, no question about it.

If there was a "history" between these two men, why then didn't Tett just get gas somewhere else?

Fishy, fishy, fishy. That being said, if I was "on the clock", I wouldn't be risking my job by picking up a trash can lid to hit someone with.

Just another fight between two low-lifes, as far as I'm concerned. However, I do think Tett should be charged.
Double k

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

We saw the same thing Lucy saw. Teft was ready to kill Rodriguez. You never saw him fumble or grab for his gun because his hand is already on it.No Question. He could have ducked around the gas pump to avoid the trash can lid. Did Rodriguez have that same option. NO! After seeing the video we believe it was premeditated. He knew the man worked there thay had a problem. Why go there unless you have unfinished business.
sad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Double k wrote:
We saw the same thing Lucy saw. Teft was ready to kill Rodriguez. You never saw him fumble or grab for his gun because his hand is already on it.No Question. He could have ducked around the gas pump to avoid the trash can lid. Did Rodriguez have that same option. NO! After seeing the video we believe it was premeditated. He knew the man worked there thay had a problem. Why go there unless you have unfinished business.
I agree. He was ready to use that gun, no doubt in my mind. I believe he went there for trouble. Since you don't hear what was said, who knows what words were exchanged beforehand.
JDK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

JNH wrote:
<quoted text>
If you knew your Concealed Pistol License laws, you would know that anyone who is licensed to carry should not be carrying a Pistol to a bar as it is a Pistol Free Zone. I want to make that perfectly clear to anyone who reads this so that they are not misled.
JDK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Teresa Cooper wrote:
Even if he was not carrying the gun legally, he would still not be at fault for shooting him. He may however get in trouble for having the gun on him . I think no matter what he reacted the best way he knew how for the circumstances. You have a split second to react and why would he let the man beat him with the trash can. You did not see the Shooter going up to the victim, you see the victim going up to the shooter.
You are wrong. Carrying a gun illegally is a misdemeanor on the first offense. If you use that gun in a homicide, even a justifiable one, then it is a felony, and you will be doing time. Please know your laws before you mis-lead people into thinking you will get off without much punishment if you carry a pistol illegally and use it in self defense.
Batch 37 Pain is Good

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Neko wrote:
More Church/Police State propaganda from TV13...
The VICTIM was the person who pulled the trigger!
Get that FACT straight.
The victim needs to hire a lawyer and sue this cretins family!
Anyone who attacks me can expect to be killed too!(especially NAZI bible freaks!)
Good Morning Neko. I had to smile. Thanks.
JDK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Lucy in Rockford wrote:
That gun sure came out of Tett's pocket pretty fast, didn't it? He was ready, no question about it.
If there was a "history" between these two men, why then didn't Tett just get gas somewhere else?
Fishy, fishy, fishy. That being said, if I was "on the clock", I wouldn't be risking my job by picking up a trash can lid to hit someone with.
Just another fight between two low-lifes, as far as I'm concerned. However, I do think Tett should be charged.
Kudos on a great point of view! I am a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) holder and activist in the State of Michigan to protect our gun and self defense laws.

You are correct that the gun came out in a very fast time, but the tape does not show that he grabbed it at that very moment, or if he had it in his hand the whole time of the "discussion" of words going back and fourth Tett and the attacker were having.

There is no law in Michigan that states the appropriate time to pull out your pistol if you are legally licensed to carry it. So if during that discussion of words Tett and Rodriquez were having, Rodriguez may have said something threatening before bending down to pick up the trash can lid that made Tett know his life may be in danger. Tett at that point has every legal right to puss his gun out because he is at that point being threatened under Michigan law if he feels his life may be in danger. So I am assuming that is what happened since Tett's testimony is that Rodriguez said he was going to "cut him up" before he reached for the trash can lid. Tett's testimony was that he did not know if he was reaching for a knife, or any other sharp object when he said those words, so that is how he justified the use of his deadly force. In the amount of time Tett said Rodriguez made the verbal threat and bent over to pick up his object, I may have done the same thing.

Your second point, I agree with 100%. NRA instructors that teach the CPL classes will tell you that "now that you have the license, it is not a shield to hide behind when you go out. The places you used to avoid because you were scared of a possible threat should still be avoided so you do not have to use deadly force". I agree with that 100%. If I am carrying my pistol and I know someone who does not like me works at a gas station or restaurant, I am going to avoid that place, because the last thing I want to have to do is use deadly force. It could come off as Tett was pushing his chest out because he has a CPL and can go to where possible threats are because he can use deadly force if he needs to.

Your third point about not picking up the trash can lid is right on as well. But the point about the both of them being low life's... I can't agree with. No matter how you slice the demographics in this country, CPL holders are the most law abiding, psychologically stable demography of people. That is a fact. We are are not allowed to have misdemeanors, felonies, even some traffic violations on our records. We go through extensive classroom and gun range time to know the laws inside and out, and to be evaluated on if we know how to safely and accurately use a pistol. Then once our records are reviewed, the gun boards may even call you in even if you have just a speeding ticket on your record. Then they grill you on that speeding ticket to see if you are psychologically vulnerable in anyway to not be stable enough to carry a pistol in public places.

“Common sense RULES ”

Since: Sep 07

West Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Regardless of the words that were exchanged they are just that WORDS. I feel the shooter reacted according to law, because under State of Michigan laws the CCW holder has the right to protect himself when in fear for life or safety.

I carry my gun everywhere the law allows me to take it. I will defend myself in such circumstances also, its the only way law abiding citizens can protect ourselves. Unfortunately the police can't be everywhere at the same time.
JOE

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

ARE YOU KIDDING ME.THERE IS NO WAY THAT IS SELF DEFENCE.I SEEN THE VIDEO LAST NIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME AND COMMON SENSE TELLS ME TO JUMP IN THE TRUCK AND SHUT THE DOOR.HE WAS STANDING NEXT TO HIS
TRUCK WITH THE DOOR OPEN.SO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? IF I BUMP INTO HIS GUY IN A STORE OR SOME WHERE HE'S GOING TO PULL HIS LITTLE GUN OUT AND ME BECAUSE I PISSED HIM OFF.THIS IS B.S. ALL THESE LAWYERS AND JUDGES ARE MORONS.THIS IS WHY I DON'T VOTE,BECAUSE THIS STATE AND THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY MORONS ONLY LOOKING OUT FOR THEMSELFS.IF THINK YOU I'M WRONG LOOK AT THE STUPID TRUTLE FENCE IN MUSKEGON.TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
RAS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

This is what attacking someone can get you.Honest people have rights too.

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Regardless of the many opinions on whether this was a justified shooting or not (and believe me, I've debated it too long), a life is still lost. A father, grandfather, and friend. A family is hurting, including the shooter, who says he is very remorseful. He has to live with his decision too.

What I find troubling and sad, is that Gabe's family is now planning to sue Mr. Tett. Someone who they have known for 30 years. Someone who got into this position by being a friend and giving someone a ride home.

Gabe's family needs to realize that suing will not bring Gabe back. It will not make you feel better, it will not bring closure, and what's worse, what will you feel like if you lose? They are trying to replace Gabe's life with material things (money), which I find appauling and an insult to the memory of Gabe.

If Gabe's family wants to heal their wounds, try reaching out to and grieving with Mr. Tett, and offer forgiveness both ways. Only then will you find peace.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of125
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sebelius botches farewell speech 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 27
Review: Elvis Auto Service 3 hr Del Shannon 2
Gay woman wants same-sex marriage for her kids:... 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 3
Get Ready To Pay More For Food. 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 29
sochi russian for sucker!! 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 9
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 5 hr Go Blue Forever 891
Gay Marriage in Michigan 21 hr Spare Me 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••