Memorial Day Weekend Plans

Since: Nov 08

Kalamazoo, MI

#23 May 21, 2009
Big Mike wrote:
Have a Holdem Tournament to play in on Saturday. Grilling out, Oberons, Royal Crown shots, De-winterizing the motorhome, and hangin out. Cant wait, come on Friday !!!
Oberon... Yumm!!! Sounds like a plan! No driving anything but the lawn tractor after a few of those!! LOL

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#24 May 21, 2009
PJ,
I am curious why did Cal decide to ride Rachel instead of Mind that Bird for the Preakness. BTW I thought it was a great race.
pjdutchville wrote:
I'll be busy keeping track of my horses. I have one entered for today and 2 more entered for Friday at Hollywood Park, 2 more on Saturday at Belmont Park in NY, and another on Monday at Belmont. I'm trying to get another in for Sunday at Hollywood Park.
So it will be ice cold refreshments, cookin' on the grill, and satellite TV!
RAB

Ionia, MI

#25 May 21, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
Be sure that no matter what you do this weekend, you pause to remember the soldiers who kept us free to do what we like to do. God Bless them all!
Finally, somebody who remembers what the meaning of Memorial Day is aside from fishing and drinking beer. Thank you.

Since: Oct 07

Big Rapids, MI

#26 May 21, 2009
BadtoDaBoneNeko wrote:
<quoted text>
Try Nichols Lake...
About 3 miles west of Woodland Park. First come first served and you should be able to beat everyone from GR for the last availible sites!
(Don't believe the monster stories either...they were invented by the local fishermen to keep their spot secret!)
I've fished that lake before, I've done good on bluegills and bass. Never tried the walleyes, but I've heard they're in there. Have you ever tried Woodland Park? It's good for smallmouth bass(or is that a secret).

But living on the east side of BR, I'll probably head for Chippewa Lake or the Martiny Chain.

“Don't touch my junk man!”

Since: Nov 07

Middle of the Mitten, Michigan

#27 May 21, 2009
I'm going to plant flowers and do some yard stuff on Sat. I'm still working to convince the husband that a trip to Manistee on Sunday isn't the end of the world, and on Monday I plan on planting flowers in the cemetery with my mom.
Becky

Sparta, MI

#28 May 21, 2009
Camping in Ludington - Saturday & Sunday.

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Since: Apr 09

Grand Rapids

#29 May 21, 2009
Fishing monster bluegill and trout. Anything else will be an unwanted distraction :)

“You're gonna make it after all”

Since: May 09

Grand Rapids, MI

#30 May 21, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
Be sure that no matter what you do this weekend, you pause to remember the soldiers who kept us free to do what we like to do. God Bless them all!
YES! Brilliant. And PLEASE parents, use this opportunity to explain to your kids to honor our fallen and how that should happen EVERY time they play the National Anthem. I REALLY hate seeing a group of people or kids who are screwing around when that is played!

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#31 May 21, 2009
Nichols Lake is a very beautiful area.

Visit it often
BadtoDaBoneNeko wrote:
<quoted text>
Try Nichols Lake...
About 3 miles west of Woodland Park. First come first served and you should be able to beat everyone from GR for the last availible sites!
(Don't believe the monster stories either...they were invented by the local fishermen to keep their spot secret!)
Thewayiseeit

Fremont, MI

#32 May 21, 2009
RAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally, somebody who remembers what the meaning of Memorial Day is aside from fishing and drinking beer. Thank you.
YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!
Thewayiseeit

Fremont, MI

#33 May 21, 2009
Businessminded_plus4 wrote:
<quoted text>
YES! Brilliant. And PLEASE parents, use this opportunity to explain to your kids to honor our fallen and how that should happen EVERY time they play the National Anthem. I REALLY hate seeing a group of people or kids who are screwing around when that is played!
Amen Brother.
pjdutchville

United States

#34 May 21, 2009
KCGR wrote:
PJ,
I am curious why did Cal decide to ride Rachel instead of Mind that Bird for the Preakness. BTW I thought it was a great race.
<quoted text>
He was pretty much under contract to ride her. He has said repeatedly that Rachel was the best horse he has ever ridden, bar none, and I'm sure was given the choice of mounts. Since jockeys are independent contractors, I'm sure that's what happened.
pjdutchville

United States

#35 May 21, 2009
I will be attending the local parade here in Dutchville in the morning on Mem. Day. I agree with Businessminded_plus4 in regards to the National Anthem.

BTW KCGR...

I will also be very interested in seeing how Zenyatta runs on Saturday, out at Hollywood Park. I was in a partnership with the Moss'(her owners) and a few others. She's undefeated, and it may be a nice matchup w/ Rachel later this year.

Big Rapids, MI

#36 May 21, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
Forgive me for not including my thanks for your post earlier than this.

Yes you are correct, Bass & Beer are not the reason for this three day weekend. And I will be taking time to visit Cadillac's ceremonies on Monday, even though I won't be staying there.
Thewayiseeit

Fremont, MI

#37 May 21, 2009
BR Bean Counter wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgive me for not including my thanks for your post earlier than this.
Yes you are correct, Bass & Beer are not the reason for this three day weekend. And I will be taking time to visit Cadillac's ceremonies on Monday, even though I won't be staying there.
TWO THUMBS UP !!!!!!!!!!
Rottster

Grand Rapids, MI

#38 May 21, 2009
Hate to spread even more rain on your parade BRBeanCounter, but I think most state parks now have an alcohol ban in place. :-( State Parks are the pits anyway. Over crowded trailer parks is all they are. I like to hike to my campsites and not see another person the entire time.

Big Rapids, MI

#39 May 21, 2009
Rottster wrote:
Hate to spread even more rain on your parade BRBeanCounter, but I think most state parks now have an alcohol ban in place.:-( State Parks are the pits anyway. Over crowded trailer parks is all they are. I like to hike to my campsites and not see another person the entire time.
Maybe not most, but there are some that I've seen that ban alcohol. Different strokes if you know what I mean. And yes they can get overrun on the weekends. My site was on the end of an outside line of sites. If I park my truck correctly, the only folks I see are the ones walking down the breakwall.

Hiking in? I've done that years ago when I was a lot younger and not so tied to my creature comforts. The last time I even came close to that experience was three years ago. We boated into a remote campsite on Cornwall Creek Flooding, in the Pigeon River Country. Good fishing, but still quite a few people.
RAB

Ionia, MI

#40 May 21, 2009
Rottster wrote:
Hate to spread even more rain on your parade BRBeanCounter, but I think most state parks now have an alcohol ban in place.:-( State Parks are the pits anyway. Over crowded trailer parks is all they are. I like to hike to my campsites and not see another person the entire time.

I'd have to agree with that. The further away you can get from the crowd the better.

“So what!!”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeview, Mi.

#41 May 21, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
Everyday I bless our troops...without them life would be very different for us all. I am blessed everyday I wake up.

“So what!!”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeview, Mi.

#42 May 21, 2009
little-me wrote:
My husband is going on a fishing trip so I'm going to be home alone for yet another Memorial Day weekend :(
I think I'm going to work in the cemetery most of the time.
I could give you a few hints on what to do...hehehehe

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tigers (Apr '12) 1 hr Really 97
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 9 hr stewart scott 2,356
DeVere Construction Superintendent/ Supervisor ... 21 hr GetYourMoneyBack 1
reverse colonization 23 hr bobolinq 1
News 7 things you need to know about Aerosmith's 201... Mon Who 1
News The Supermercado Mexico on Chicago Drive in Wyo... Mon Who 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Aug 2 janjanster 1,011
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages