Study: Whites more likely to get narc...

Study: Whites more likely to get narcotics from ER doctors

There are 22 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Jan 2, 2008, titled Study: Whites more likely to get narcotics from ER doctors. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

A new study finds that emergency room doctors are prescribing strong narcotics more often to patients who complain of pain, but minorities are less likely to get them than whites.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
independent

Middleville, MI

#1 Jan 2, 2008
You have got to be kidding me. Let's go and make EVERYTHING racial why don't we?

“Congrats to all Graduating”

Since: Aug 07

Muskegon, MI

#2 Jan 2, 2008
independent wrote:
You have got to be kidding me. Let's go and make EVERYTHING racial why don't we?
this is just crazy!
I know that they have a problem in the e.r with this, but are you areious..NOW it is a certian race.
I am so sick of the racial crap!
thanks you by the way, the people that do this.NOW the people that are in pain and really need it can not get it.

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

#3 Jan 2, 2008
No doubt!
Soupking

United States

#4 Jan 2, 2008
Next thing you know there will be an affirmative action set up to make sure the minorities get their equal share of these.
LMS

Hudsonville, MI

#6 Jan 2, 2008
Are you serious? I have known of more white people going into the ER complaining of a migraine just so they can get a shot of whatever to get a buzz and they are saying minorities abuse the system? These doctors need to go back to basics and start treating people for their medical issues rather than judge them first. It even says in this article that blacks are the least likely group to abuse prescription drugs. Wake up!
GR Pharmacist

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Jan 2, 2008
Wow, you wouldn't know it by the amount of "colored" who bring in narcotic scripts to my place. Funny how the PCP's write for Phenergan and Codiene syrup on a regular basis for them.
Maybe the ER doctors are biased beacuse they have seen it too many times, who knows. I think there are racial biases everywhere and that they cut both ways. So if they can't get what they need in the ER, then go see your PCP and have them give you what you need. It clearly happens, certain doctors write for the same drugs over and over for their "clients".
sick of criminals

Battle Creek, MI

#8 Jan 2, 2008
Maybe it's because the minorities can get them a lot cheaper on the street from their dealer. Just a thought.

out in the sticks

#9 Jan 3, 2008
sick of criminals wrote:
Maybe it's because the minorities can get them a lot cheaper on the street from their dealer. Just a thought.
Maybe they just know how to make them, or are less likely to visit a hospital for something?

out in the sticks

#10 Jan 3, 2008
Or maybe the white guy IS the dealer?
Masterys

Aurora, CO

#11 Jan 3, 2008
oh my finger hurts from this mouse

Muskegon, MI

#12 Jan 3, 2008
GR Pharmacist wrote:
Wow, you wouldn't know it by the amount of "colored" who bring in narcotic scripts to my place. Funny how the PCP's write for Phenergan and Codiene syrup on a regular basis for them.
Maybe the ER doctors are biased beacuse they have seen it too many times, who knows. I think there are racial biases everywhere and that they cut both ways. So if they can't get what they need in the ER, then go see your PCP and have them give you what you need. It clearly happens, certain doctors write for the same drugs over and over for their "clients".
unsure if your really a pharmacists, because you spelled Codeine wrong...LOL..I am kidding

the V.A over there give everyone what they say they want, not what they need!
and where dose it end up??
ON THE STREETS.
it is a big problem..I KNOW!
may I as you a question?
IF there is one pharmacy in town, that everyone in town uses for a certain type of med, one in syrup form and the other in a pill form, why don't they look into this pharmacy?

I know this place has been reported a few times, she has been into a lot of trouble and is still open.
they look for a certian manufacturer of the pill.
This pharmacy is just about the only one that carries it here?
do you have any insight on this?

Muskegon, MI

#13 Jan 3, 2008
prescription drug addiction is not a race problem.

Most of the drug seekers that go into e.r are the ones that have been put on a med by the doctor and are being taken off, your body NEEDS and DEMANDS them.
People get sick from the withdraw, this dose not mean they are bad people.

The prescription drug problem is much more a "street issue" more than a E.R issue.
They will red flag you in the e.r and wont give you anything.

this has happened to some people for this reason, which sends them to the streets to get their meds.
as I have said many time, we don't know what makes people do what they do, or what brought them into this situation.
I just want to say, be very careful with any addicting med, take it as prescribed and as long as you don't take it too long you wont get addicted.
If you do....its hell getting off!
I have seen it all in this area, how doctors will just cut them off meds, cold turkey...
how patients get upset with doctors for whining them off, and go get it elsewhere...
if you can get by without it..don't take it.
prescription drug abuse is on the rise, especially in young adults and teens!
if you notice, you call poision control, they wont I.D a narcitic for you any more..
GR Pharmacist

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Jan 4, 2008
Thanks for the nore on my mis-type, since your are so inclined to point out my mistake, here is my take on your spelling:
I am a pharmacist, not a pharmacists.
It should read "this does not mean they are bad people", not dose.
Most people would get upset at their doctor for "weaning" them off, not whining.
And finally it is spelled narcotic, not narcitic.

out in the sticks

#15 Jan 4, 2008
OMG Pharmacist...that was rude!

Bri was kidding, and wrote LOL. She was asking you for your help and input on an issue, and THAT'S how you respond?

You seem to have spent too much time behind your plexiglass window. Why don't you come out from behind there and talk to people, and sharpen your people skills?

Geez!
Alma Pharmacist

Holland, MI

#16 Jan 4, 2008
She Devil wrote:
OMG Pharmacist...that was rude!
Bri was kidding, and wrote LOL. She was asking you for your help and input on an issue, and THAT'S how you respond?
You seem to have spent too much time behind your plexiglass window. Why don't you come out from behind there and talk to people, and sharpen your people skills?
Geez!
Dear Devil with a cause,

Why don’t you get your lazy butt over to my Pharmacy and we’ll see if I can’t mix up some of your medication by “accident”. Lay off the Pharmacist stereotype and get a life you loser.

“Lost in the middle somewhere..”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#17 Jan 4, 2008
Alma Pharmacist wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Devil with a cause,
Why don’t you get your lazy butt over to my Pharmacy and we’ll see if I can’t mix up some of your medication by “accident”. Lay off the Pharmacist stereotype and get a life you loser.
WHOA! You seriously need to back off and watch your words! You seriously just threatened to mix up medication by apparent accident??? Where in the world is your professionalism? Thank God I live in a small town where I love my small neighborhood pharmacy that has been a staple in town for many many years. I would not want to walk in to your pharmacy in Alma or Grand Rapids.

“Lost in the middle somewhere..”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18 Jan 4, 2008
I forgot t.own is a bad word.
James

United States

#19 Jan 4, 2008
To the two pharmacists

BAD FORM!

You are medical professionals, as such you are held to a higher standard. Than the Bozo from Alma makes a veiled threat about mixing up prescription drugs. When was the last time you had a drug test?

I used to think that we are all Bozos on this bus, now I am sure of it!

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#20 Jan 4, 2008
Alma Pharmacist wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Devil with a cause,
Nothing like furthering the stereotype. You must have gotten up on the wrong side of the cage this morning.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#21 Jan 4, 2008
Alma Pharmacist wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Devil with a cause,
Makes me REALLY happy I don't have to deal with a pharmacist like you. Get off your high horse and actually talk to people. It's amazing you still have a job. Stop taking the drugs you're suppose to be dispensing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 18 hr EightAt530 3,333
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Apr 22 Yo Just Me Here 1,231
Making Abortion Illegal Apr 22 Yo Just Me Here 1
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Apr 20 Selph 57
News WZZM13 - Teacher accused of molesting several y... (Jun '07) Apr 12 Thankful 20
News Missing Constantine girl found dead in cemetery (Nov '07) Apr 9 ghost 148
Bridge Card (Apr '09) Apr 1 Boldly Go 143

Grand Rapids Jobs

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages