Wisconsin governor refuses to back down on public unions proposal

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1 Feb 16, 2011
Good Day,

Good, about time. And it will spread. Also, what a horrible thing to have to pay for something yourself. Entitlemment mentality run amok.

http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_17384217...

Steelie
Mark

Rockford, MI

#2 Feb 16, 2011
Our governor should have such brass as Christie and the like... Hint Snyder Hint
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#3 Feb 16, 2011
All the protesters are college students..... What do they know of the real world with all their experience so far....... The General Public hired the Gov to save the State.... Go man Go

Judged:

14

14

14

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mark Luxford

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Feb 19, 2011
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
All the protesters are college students..... What do they know of the real world with all their experience so far....... The General Public hired the Gov to save the State.... Go man Go
Complete and utter BS. I've seen TV interviews with teachers, policemen and firemen who were protesting at the state capitol. The head of the lagest state employee union has said that they will go along with the governor's plan on the health and pension benefit issues if he will leave their right to collective bargaining alone. True to form, Walker and the Republican legislators rejected that proposal outright. What Walker and the Republicans are doing is using the fiscal issue as an excuse to try to weaken or destroy the unions that typically support Democrats. If public employee pension and health benefits are so damaging to the state's finances, why does Walker's proposal exempt the police, state police, and firemen's unions? They're public employees too. But, they supported Walker in his election bid so they get a free pass. At its roots this is all about politics and nothing more.

“Frak no, we won't!”

Since: Sep 08

Wayland, MI

#5 Feb 19, 2011
Gov. Walker shouldn't back down. If anybody should, it's the "loyal" opposition who abandoned the capitol and are now hiding out in Obamaland (and don't try to tell me the community organizer didn't have a hand in that--it has Obama fingerprints all over it!).
SueT

Whitehall, MI

#6 Feb 19, 2011
DARK HELMET LIVES wrote:
Gov. Walker shouldn't back down. If anybody should, it's the "loyal" opposition who abandoned the capitol and are now hiding out in Obamaland (and don't try to tell me the community organizer didn't have a hand in that--it has Obama fingerprints all over it!).
It would appear Illinois just got 14 more registered democrat voters.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#7 Feb 19, 2011
I guess the unions don't like having the tables turned and being held hostage for a change.
RFiist335

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Feb 19, 2011
I really hope they don't solve the NFL contracts either.
Then all these people won't see their football because of another "union".
Then a few more states do the same and put even more bad light on "unions".
Sassy

Flushing, MI

#9 Feb 19, 2011
Exactly taking collective bargaining out of a choice few? He knew he would be in trouble with the police, fire, as they are needed for public safety. Screw educating our kids right? I was never a big fan of unions in the past and I truly believed they had outpriced themselves. However, in the last few years, I am beginning to see the need of them more. The public outcry of screw the union worker, which in fact has given us many of our benefits for many many years, has become ridiculous. While I agree our money has run out, we do not want to go back to slave labor again. Funny, I still don't see the politicians giving up anything. What many of these people screaming about breaking Unions don't see is that they have given up a tremendous amount. Many, many, many of them don't have $50,000 incomes. Many, many, many of them don't have Cadillac medical benefits. I don't know a Union that doesn't contribute to their healthcare. YET OUR POLITICIANS DON'T!! It has and always has to start at the TOP cuts and work its way down. If the politicians can't give up anything, why should the employees?
Mark Luxford wrote:
<quoted text>
Complete and utter BS. I've seen TV interviews with teachers, policemen and firemen who were protesting at the state capitol. The head of the lagest state employee union has said that they will go along with the governor's plan on the health and pension benefit issues if he will leave their right to collective bargaining alone. True to form, Walker and the Republican legislators rejected that proposal outright. What Walker and the Republicans are doing is using the fiscal issue as an excuse to try to weaken or destroy the unions that typically support Democrats. If public employee pension and health benefits are so damaging to the state's finances, why does Walker's proposal exempt the police, state police, and firemen's unions? They're public employees too. But, they supported Walker in his election bid so they get a free pass. At its roots this is all about politics and nothing more.
RFiist335

United States

#10 Feb 19, 2011
The only reason you think you like them more is because the other people are putting the squeeze on them, so you hear unions squawking a lot more.

Justice is a better way to explain it, so our government has slaves, 90 hour work weeks, and no lunch breaks?

I think the non government workers are the ones turned into slaves.

Since: Jun 09

GR

#11 Feb 20, 2011
I couldn't be happier with the ongoing Sate v Union fight in Wisconsin, home of modern Progressivism.

Look at the events transpiring thus far: The union employees abandoned their jobs to protect what? Their union powers. The liberal politicians fled the state in the dead of night, abandoning their elected positions to protect what? Their union votes.

If you were to ask all of these people what their jobs are they would stone-face tell you it was to protect, educate or represent THE PEOPLE of the state of Wisconsin. Yet, not one of them is currently doing it.

Liberalism ALWAYS results in the exact opposite of it's stated purpose. Get it?

Judged:

12

12

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Frak no, we won't!”

Since: Sep 08

Wayland, MI

#12 Feb 20, 2011
_Dingo wrote:
I couldn't be happier with the ongoing Sate v Union fight in Wisconsin, home of modern Progressivism.
Look at the events transpiring thus far: The union employees abandoned their jobs to protect what? Their union powers. The liberal politicians fled the state in the dead of night, abandoning their elected positions to protect what? Their union votes.
If you were to ask all of these people what their jobs are they would stone-face tell you it was to protect, educate or represent THE PEOPLE of the state of Wisconsin. Yet, not one of them is currently doing it.
Liberalism ALWAYS results in the exact opposite of it's stated purpose. Get it?
Now here would be a novel idea: Gov. Walker declares them to be in Contempt Of Congress and gives them 48 hours to return or face the consequences of their actions, as their abandonment of the state capitol and refusal to carry out the duries of their elected positions have, for all intents and purposes, brought the business of government in Wisconsin to a standstill. Then, when these "fine" legislators flip him the bird and tell him "up urs!", he gets a judge to issue a bench warrant for contempt and asks the Illinois authoritis to take them into custody for extradition back to Wisconsin (it's called the Full Faith And Credit Clause in the US Constitution, which requires states to honor the laws of other states). Once back in Wisconsin, they'll be given a choice: Return to the State Legislature and take care of business, or sit in jail and rot until you do.

Since: Jul 09

SW Michigan

#13 Feb 20, 2011
The President of the WI Troopers Union NOW -- REGRETS SUPPORTING Walker.

Tracy Fuller, Executive Board President
Feb. 16, 2011
 I am going to make an effort to speak for myself, and every member of the Wisconsin State Patrol when I say this.
I VALUE THE CAPITOL POLICE, AND THE U. W. POLICE. I VALUE ALL OF THE POLICE COMMUNICATIONS OFFICERS OF ALL OF THE AGENCIES IN OUR UNION, AND THE STATE TROOPERS, AND THE INSPECTORS OF THE STATE PATROL. I VALUE “ALL” OF THE SUPPORT STAFF OF ALL OF THE AGENCIES AROUND THE STATE. I DON’T KNOW HOW ANY OF US COULD FUNCTION WITHOUT ANY OF US AROUND THE STATE WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER.
 I VALUE THE BUREAU OF FIELD SERVICES, FIELD AGENTS OF LOCAL THREE, NO LESS THAN ANY OF THE OTHER MEMBERS IN THE UNION. I  AM HERE FOR EVERY MEMBER OF THIS UNION AND ALWAYS THOUGHT I HAD BEEN UNTIL THIS WEEK.
I SPECIFICALLY REGRET THE ENDORSEMENT OF THE WISCONSIN TROOPER’S ASSOCIATION  FOR GOVERNOR SCOTT WALKER.          I REGRET THE GOVERNOR’S DECISION TO “ENDORSE” THE TROOPERS AND INSPECTORS OF THE WISCONSIN STATE PATROL. I REGRET BEING THE RECIPIENT OF ANY OF THE PERCIEVED BENEFITS PROVIDED BY THE GOVERNOR’S ANNOINTING.
 I THINK EVERYONE’S JOB AND CAREER IS JUST AS SIGNIFICANT AS THE OTHERS. EVERYONES FAMILY IS JUST AS VALUABLE AS MINE OR ANY OTHER PERSONS, ESPECIALLY MINE. EVERYONES NEEDS ARE JUST AS VALUABLE. WE ARE ALL GREAT PEOPLE!!

Since: Jun 09

GR

#14 Feb 20, 2011
DARK HELMET LIVES wrote:
<quoted text>Now here would be a novel idea: Gov. Walker declares them to be in Contempt Of Congress and gives them 48 hours to return or face the consequences of their actions, as their abandonment of the state capitol and refusal to carry out the duries of their elected positions have, for all intents and purposes, brought the business of government in Wisconsin to a standstill. Then, when these "fine" legislators flip him the bird and tell him "up urs!", he gets a judge to issue a bench warrant for contempt and asks the Illinois authoritis to take them into custody for extradition back to Wisconsin (it's called the Full Faith And Credit Clause in the US Constitution, which requires states to honor the laws of other states). Once back in Wisconsin, they'll be given a choice: Return to the State Legislature and take care of business, or sit in jail and rot until you do.
Sounds good to me. But let the liberals sit in hiding, doing clandestine interviews with CNN, for a few more days ... or weeks. Be good to get this Union problem front and center to the point where the left can no longer spin it with "atta boy" journalism. The students will undoubtedly get a better education by witnessing first hand the ill-fated results of liberalism in action than they would having their spongy melons filled with the socialist propaganda of a Wisconsin public education anyway.

I'm enjoying the signs from the pro-republican supporters, especially the ones that say: "Sorry we're late, but we all work for a living!" :)

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Thewayiseeit

United States

#15 Feb 20, 2011
I'll gladly take one of those "lower" paying jobs! And so would A LOT of other qualified and unemployed folks. FIRE THE UNION BUMS!!!!!
GOOD JOB GOVERNOR!
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#16 Feb 20, 2011
Thewayiseeit wrote:
I'll gladly take one of those "lower" paying jobs! And so would A LOT of other qualified and unemployed folks. FIRE THE UNION BUMS!!!!!
GOOD JOB GOVERNOR!
The last person to offer advice should be an employer who let their business fail.

Since: Jun 09

GR

#17 Feb 21, 2011
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
The last person to offer advice should be an employer who let their business fail.
Now now, Bob ... let's keep this above your usual swamp-level wheelhouse. The previous poster is absolutely correct. These Wisconsin union progressives are still living under the false-idea that they can remain untouched by this country's economic condition, unwilling to put a little skin in the game, as they say. However, there's a lot of people who've been unemployed for a year or more who would gladly fill the positions these spoiled brats seem not to want any longer. Let them whine and throw tantrums while their representatives cower in out-of-state motels. They're ALL shirking their responsibilities over a perk that wasn't affordable in the best of times, let alone in the worst. The longer it continues, the more obvious it becomes even to union-sympathetic folks, that untenable union demands must be relinquished.
Mark

Rockford, MI

#18 Feb 21, 2011
_Dingo wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now, Bob ... let's keep this above your usual swamp-level wheelhouse. The previous poster is absolutely correct. These Wisconsin union progressives are still living under the false-idea that they can remain untouched by this country's economic condition, unwilling to put a little skin in the game, as they say. However, there's a lot of people who've been unemployed for a year or more who would gladly fill the positions these spoiled brats seem not to want any longer. Let them whine and throw tantrums while their representatives cower in out-of-state motels. They're ALL shirking their responsibilities over a perk that wasn't affordable in the best of times, let alone in the worst. The longer it continues, the more obvious it becomes even to union-sympathetic folks, that untenable union demands must be relinquished.
Bingo. Funny how the democrats were in charge for 18 months with a super majority and not one single factory moved back from china or mexico, nor their free trade agreement rescinded or even revised in a way to create one more factory job. Questions for the liberal oppressives? How many of all the improvement in working conditions and wages for all Americans were created by public employee unions?
Flawed

Sandusky, OH

#19 Feb 21, 2011
Bubbly4now wrote:
The President of the WI Troopers Union NOW -- REGRETS SUPPORTING Walker.
Tracy Fuller, Executive Board President
Feb. 16, 2011
 I am going to make an effort to speak for myself, and every member of the Wisconsin State Patrol when I say this.
I VALUE THE CAPITOL POLICE, AND THE U. W. POLICE. I VALUE ALL OF THE POLICE COMMUNICATIONS OFFICERS OF ALL OF THE AGENCIES IN OUR UNION, AND THE STATE TROOPERS, AND THE INSPECTORS OF THE STATE PATROL. I VALUE “ALL” OF THE SUPPORT STAFF OF ALL OF THE AGENCIES AROUND THE STATE. I DON’T KNOW HOW ANY OF US COULD FUNCTION WITHOUT ANY OF US AROUND THE STATE WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER.
 I VALUE THE BUREAU OF FIELD SERVICES, FIELD AGENTS OF LOCAL THREE, NO LESS THAN ANY OF THE OTHER MEMBERS IN THE UNION. I  AM HERE FOR EVERY MEMBER OF THIS UNION AND ALWAYS THOUGHT I HAD BEEN UNTIL THIS WEEK.
I SPECIFICALLY REGRET THE ENDORSEMENT OF THE WISCONSIN TROOPER’S ASSOCIATION  FOR GOVERNOR SCOTT WALKER.          I REGRET THE GOVERNOR’S DECISION TO “ENDORSE” THE TROOPERS AND INSPECTORS OF THE WISCONSIN STATE PATROL. I REGRET BEING THE RECIPIENT OF ANY OF THE PERCIEVED BENEFITS PROVIDED BY THE GOVERNOR’S ANNOINTING.
 I THINK EVERYONE’S JOB AND CAREER IS JUST AS SIGNIFICANT AS THE OTHERS. EVERYONES FAMILY IS JUST AS VALUABLE AS MINE OR ANY OTHER PERSONS, ESPECIALLY MINE. EVERYONES NEEDS ARE JUST AS VALUABLE. WE ARE ALL GREAT PEOPLE!!
I wonder, if asked, would he provide a signed affidavit from ALL of the Wisconsin State Patrol that he speaks for ALL of them, as he claims?

Since: Jun 09

GR

#20 Feb 21, 2011
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>Bingo. Funny how the democrats were in charge for 18 months with a super majority and not one single factory moved back from china or mexico, nor their free trade agreement rescinded or even revised in a way to create one more factory job. Questions for the liberal oppressives? How many of all the improvement in working conditions and wages for all Americans were created by public employee unions?
Well put!
The liberal oppressive brave enough would offer you the answer they always give for the failures of every one of their social experiments: "We haven't been allowed to do enough of it."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 1 hr Oneal 70
welcome to the new black america 1 hr Oneal 5
Al Sharpton's Marchers in New York City Chant "... 2 hr Oneal 8
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 2 hr Oneal 3
AAD Annie 11 hr bobolinq 1
WZZM13 - Investigators say a 16 year old boy ad... (Jun '07) 19 hr Brian 18
pope-a-dope Thu bobolinq 1
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:46 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:46AM
What Are Experts Saying About Vikings?
NBC Sports 9:08 AM
Calvin Johnson, Joique Bell present at practice
Bleacher Report 9:09 AM
Expect Packers to Continue Lambeau Dominance vs. Lions
NBC Sports11:06 AM
Mike McCarthy: No concerns about Aaron Rodgers
NBC Sports11:28 AM
Bears extend Roberto Garza through 2015