Botulism may have killed 7,500 birds ...

Botulism may have killed 7,500 birds along Lake Michigan shoreline

There are 9 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 26, 2007, titled Botulism may have killed 7,500 birds along Lake Michigan shoreline. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

HANCOCK - A research group says a recent outbreak of botulism may have killed as many as 7,500 fish-eating birds along a stretch of the Lake Michigan shoreline in northern Michigan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Beth

Grand Haven, MI

#1 Nov 27, 2007
Yummy.
Julie

Cross Village, MI

#2 Nov 27, 2007
Keep dumping all the crap into the lake for a few $$ and see how long it will be before humans are also dead.
Ellie

Holland, MI

#3 Nov 27, 2007
They should really examine what killed all the fish in Lake Macatawa (inlet of Lake Michigan) last year.
Jon

Holland, MI

#4 Nov 28, 2007
thank the Governor for selling Michigan to Canada for a land fill.

“"Do Right Be Right"”

Since: Nov 07

Rockford Michigan

#5 Nov 28, 2007
Ellie wrote:
They should really examine what killed all the fish in Lake Macatawa (inlet of Lake Michigan) last year.
You must mean Lake McAtoilet, funny how all those Pubs want to point fingers...

Hmmmm
Ellie

Holland, MI

#6 Nov 28, 2007
So Botulism comes from anerobic bacteria. Are the fish that they feed on dead along the shore? That was what happened here - and the DNR blamed it on warm lake temperature.
-- Are people trying to sweep this under the rug?
They really need to examine the whole lake ecosystem, and find the source.- Was there a concentrated dumping of something that now has turned septic?-or, are the dead fish the sole cause?
Since Loons dive for their food,It seems that the source woiuld either be living (already sick) fish, or something decaying down below Lake Michigan.
Lightsout

Hudsonville, MI

#7 Nov 28, 2007
My last post of the night... and I'm sure some are glad to hear that.

OUR Great Lakes. 20% of the World's Fresh Water Supply. 1/5, imagine that. Yet instead of protecting these "once in a worldtime" treasures, these waters are treated little better than cesspools.

"Oh but ain't that America for you and me. Ain't that America somethin' to see baby. Ain't that America home of the free... Little pink houses for you and me".
Ellie

Holland, MI

#8 Nov 29, 2007
I agee - lightsout, our lakes need to be a priority.
I'm not into a lot of environmental groups, but I have always been an environmentalist.
I will not use pesticides or fertilizer.
My lawn is green in the spring, and brown by summer.
I allow native species of plants to grow, and I do my best to make my land a haven for wildlife.
Every area of Michigan neads to do the same.
-Yeah and I'm sick of the little pink houses, and those that "recycle" - and never give a thought about true stewardship of the land.
Ellie

Holland, MI

#9 Nov 29, 2007
Hey jinxed - Who are the Pubs? I am curious and feeling foolish because I don't know who you are referring to.
What bothers me is that nobody really talked about it. I think that home values, politics, industry and area promotion are the reason for the silence.
I hope the Botulism poisoning gets more attention.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 min Go Blue Forever 2,331
Local News Women (Apr '09) 14 hr Alex 2,398
Daane Development towing next to Score Sportsbar Mon Doosh Bagge 1
You Decide Jul 26 You Decide 1
Searching for Richard Painted Horse... Jul 23 Anonymous 1
News New state law enables Holland SmartZone district Jul 23 District 1 1
News Ground broken on Consumers Leadership Center Jul 22 Who 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages