|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

James wrote:
Have a 68 Mustang GT Fastback with a 390. I love this car. Never had another like, never will. Also have a 2001 F150 Super Crew 4x4 with a 5.4l. Tricked it out to 450hp. I use it to tow my 35 foot trailer, and I still can get 16 mpg towing @ 70 mph. Ford man all the way.
Nice Mustang. Many many years ago I had a 69 Mach 1 with the 390 in it. I wish I still had it today!
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

St Stephen wrote:
My favorite car was a 1971 Buick GS 455 that I had in my early 20's. It was kind of ugly using today's standards, brown with a black vinyl roof and black interior but man was that car cool, and very quick. I bought it off my brother's best friend when he joined the Army so I was familiar with the car well before I bought it.
Unfortunately the car got smacked while parked on the street in the middle of the night a year or so after I bought it, hit and run, and was damaged pretty baddly. Whatever hit it was big because it was able to drive off after absolutely crushing the rear end. It started and ran but buckled the frame, ran the trunk into the back seat and even creased the roof, so it was a total loss.
You probably got hit by SIB. Sorry, couldn't resist :)
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
You guy's remember your first car?.....Mine was a 1961 Buick Invicta Convertible, White with Blk. top and Red & White leather interior, 401 V-8, i believe 325 HP...$400....everything worked....Invicta was later, the Wildcat.....it had a button next to the dimmer button on the floor, where you could scan the stereo, without reaching over......also had a dial by the speedo, where you could set a spped, say 65...and it would buzz if you went beyond it.....Many a fair maiden, met their demise in that car....(evil laugh).....Actually to those familiar with the movie, Animal House....it was the twin to the convertible John Belushi and the hot blond, drive away in the end......
Powder blue VW Rabbit diesel. LOL. Probably the worst interior in the history of automobiles. When the sun hit those navy blue plastic seats you could grill a t-bone. It was like sitting on a bunsen burner.

Ol' Blue was about the total opposite of a chick magnet too. Imagine pulling up to my prom date's house in a rattling, clanging light blue lunchbox trailed by so much toxic exhaust you could no longer see the street lights. You had to hang out inside for at least 15 minutes before venturing back outside to feel your way to the door handle!

On the other hand, I could drive from here to Kukamonga and back without having to fill up, and that was back when diesel cost about 2 cents a gallon. I think I went my entire junior and senior high school years before I hit a gas station :)

But the best part was if someone tailgated me I'd just drop her down into 4th and stand on the gas. That thing would lay out a swath of wretched black smoke that's likely still chewing a hole in the ozone layer!!

One of my cousins drove that little ass-burner clear into the 2000's before it finally belched out it's last black fury. I heard the EPA laid off half it's staff when Blue hit the junkyard.
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

St Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>
Power brakes? If there is no fluid on the floor chances are (if you have power brakes) that it's the master cylinder, they tend to go bad quickly when they sit for long periods at a time on old cars. If it is, a rebuild kit usually doesn't cost much.
Thanks for the advice, but about the only thing power on that Dart is my ipod!

It takes two hands and a foot to turn the steering wheel. You have to spin it three times just to change a lane :)

On my way back from Gilmore Auto Museum a few years back I strayed off the highway and hit the rumble strips. The violent rattling knocked both passenger side hub caps clean off. Those things weigh like 5 pounds each and look like the business end of a jet engine! I watched both go in different directions at about 60 miles an hour, literally fly off into opposing ditches filled with knee-deep sludge water and scrub grass so tall I felt like I was on safari for the next three hours while searching for the damned things.

I'd still be stuck in that ditch searching if I hadn't found them because so many '60 Darts were destroyed parts are as rare as bigfoot.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Volkswagen made some super, reliable cars, back in the day....in the summer of 1970, it cost me $2.65 to fill up the tank on my Beetle....Had two 67's back then, that i alway's thought were their best year....still 40 HP, but with 12 volt electrical systems.....but, honestly the best fuel mileage they ever got was 25-27 mpg, it's just gas was so cheap....lol....my Honda Fit get's 40 mpg on trips....Knew a guy once with a Mercedes Deisel that had over 500,000 miles....incredible....had a Volvo 945 wagon once, that might have gone that far, if i had'nt let the wife talk me into trading it....damn.....
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Volkswagen made some super, reliable cars, back in the day....in the summer of 1970, it cost me $2.65 to fill up the tank on my Beetle....Had two 67's back then, that i alway's thought were their best year....still 40 HP, but with 12 volt electrical systems.....but, honestly the best fuel mileage they ever got was 25-27 mpg, it's just gas was so cheap....lol....my Honda Fit get's 40 mpg on trips....Knew a guy once with a Mercedes Deisel that had over 500,000 miles....incredible....had a Volvo 945 wagon once, that might have gone that far, if i had'nt let the wife talk me into trading it....damn.....
Yep, wives are funny like that. They see nothing wrong with talking you into giving up your most prized possession, but just ask them to toss out one of their 5,000 purses. I was subjected to "cook strike" for two weeks once just for suggesting my wife retire a pair of her shoes!

Everything I own is subject to wife's yearly inventory to see what does and doesn't make the cut. Once she throws something of mine out she goes on 24 hour trash stakeout until the garbage guy comes just to make sure I don't dig out whatever she's decided I no longer need :)

She's a cute little tyrant though.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

...Mine too....she's only 4'11", so she could'nt get comfortable driving in the big Volvo wagon....So, i traded it for a new Honda CRV, small SUV she fit in and could see out of good....three month's later she told me, she no longer wanted to drive.....heartbreak comes in strange ways....lol....I still miss that damn wagon.....
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
...Mine too....she's only 4'11", so she could'nt get comfortable driving in the big Volvo wagon....So, i traded it for a new Honda CRV, small SUV she fit in and could see out of good....three month's later she told me, she no longer wanted to drive.....heartbreak comes in strange ways....lol....I still miss that damn wagon.....
Oh man ... that sucks! I think my wife has yours beat by an inch - if that. I'm not basketball-player height myself, but I still need to be a contortionist to get into the driver's seat of my wife's car - and heaven help anyone who makes the mistake of adjusting it! The consequences of that lapse in judgement make "cook strike" seem like Summer camp!!

I'm tempted to glue wood blocks on every one of her 5,000 pairs of shoes just so I don't have to stop what I'm doing to retrieve something for her that's placed higher than 6 ft.

God bless the genius who invented the three step ladder :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info