Truck-car accident closes EB I-94

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

Eastbound I-94 is closed at the 9th Street exit because of an accident involving a semi-truck and two cars.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
lugocin

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

I witnessed this accident today...it was horrific! The semi driver was just not paying attention. I was next to him in the far left lane, he was in the middle lane. Traffic ahead was at a dead stop, due to the upcoming construction site. He was going way too fast for approaching merging traffic and a construction site. He just wasn't paying attention.....
Jesse

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

Another reckless truck driver critically injures or kills an innocent driver. The police need to crack down on these truck drivers, no warnings and ticket every offense. Maybe then they will drive a little more carefully.
Joe

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

OH YEAH...it's always the trucker...How moronic! How many times do car drivers cause wrecks with trucks due to their antics? MANY times.

Why don't you all just have a bit of empathy for these guys who are just trying to pay some bills and without which you wouldn't even be eating, tonight!? The hoops they jump through to drive these behemoth vehicles is myriad. The regulations that they have to regard are many! Ease up on them. I cannot begin to think how badly this poor truck driver must fell.

I am sorry for the poor unfortunate people who were involved in this wreck...ALL of them, even the evil truck driver!

“What is the world coming to?”

Since: Apr 08

Wyoming

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

OH YEAH... and how about the fact that they can retake the test as many times as they want to get all the answers right... that sounds awesome to me. I can remember what the answers are too after I have gotten them wrong 7 times.
Kemper

Chapel Hill, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

OH YEAH and how would you like to ride for 1 day in 1 of those big trucks and see how many close calls by idiots in cars that pull out in front of you. Or go take the test even though it might take you 7 times and then you can tell us what an easy job this is.
bobby

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Joe wrote:
OH YEAH...it's always the trucker...How moronic! How many times do car drivers cause wrecks with trucks due to their antics? MANY times.
Why don't you all just have a bit of empathy for these guys who are just trying to pay some bills and without which you wouldn't even be eating, tonight!? The hoops they jump through to drive these behemoth vehicles is myriad. The regulations that they have to regard are many! Ease up on them. I cannot begin to think how badly this poor truck driver must fell.
I am sorry for the poor unfortunate people who were involved in this wreck...ALL of them, even the evil truck driver!
whatever...get a life

“What is the world coming to?”

Since: Apr 08

Wyoming

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Kemper wrote:
OH YEAH and how would you like to ride for 1 day in 1 of those big trucks and see how many close calls by idiots in cars that pull out in front of you. Or go take the test even though it might take you 7 times and then you can tell us what an easy job this is.
I happen to know someone who has recently become a truck driver and I would not trust him to work the drive through window at McDonalds.... But yet he got a CDL.
Praying

Clarkston, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

The truck driver told the police that his brakes failed, however after reading the eyewitness report above it appears he was just trying to cover himself. The prognosis for the Kalamazoo woman is not good, and I ask all of you to pray for her...she is my Sister in Law. Pray for the truck driver who was not paying attention, and who will probably have to live knowing that he took the life of a wife and a mother of two.
Joe, it is not all truck drivers. In fact, this past winter, the skills of a truck driver on the QEW up in Canada saved the life of my brother in a massive pileup during a snow storm. Had that guy not been paying attention or reacted as he did, my only brother, a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom would also be dead.
Lugocin, have you reported what you observed to the police. They may find it very helpful in getting one of the bad ones off the road.
frightening

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

I have often traveled this freeway. It is by far the most dangerous I have encountered. The semi drivers do not care about cars on the road. 2 weeks ago I was traveling to Ann Arbor and was nearly sideswiped or pushed into the center by 3 different semi's. I appreciate their truck driving to supply our country with needs, however, the are pushed too hard to deliver things as fast as possible. Those drivers are tired, over worked and simply do not pay attention. It is unacceptable. Semi truck drivers are pushy, change lanes without looking, and have extreme road rage! The fact that this driver lied about his brakes, just shows how irresponsible those drivers are! There should absolutely be a zero tolerance for truck drivers, one time and your out!

Thoughts and prayers for the injured families.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Kemper wrote:
Since when??

Oh.. and did you know they have to PAY to take the written test AND pay for a driving test? And it's not like it is in a car.

Believe me, some of them do NOT belong on the road, let alone behind the wheel of a semi truck, but there are those who are the safest driver's on the road. I have watched more people cut off a semi than not. People seem to forget they can't stop on a dime.

Don't get me wrong, if this driver was at fault, then he needs his CDL pulled and if the lady dies, charges on top of the tickets he has already received. Depending on what company he works for, he may not even have a job anymore anyway. There are a lot of companies that have a no tolerance policy for at fault accidents.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

My apologies Kemper.. I pulled your quote on accident. I actually meant to pull JodiLynn's quote.. right above yours.
trucker

Port Townsend, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

If you pay attention, people driving cars have alot more road rage then truck drivers. Being a truck driver myself, we are constantly walking on egg shells for people that have NO respect for the truckers who are trying to make a living just like you are. God forbid we pull out in the hammer lane to go past a slower truck and hold you up for 10 seconds and need to worry about getting passed in the right lane(which is now illegal!)So the only thing that is unacceptable and irresponcible is peoples blatent disregard for 100,000lbs of steel rolling down the road that cant stop on a dime and are doing what they need to do to live there life the way they want and and may be hauling something to let you live yours. If people keep crying about the way truck drivers drive, then one day they will have something closer to home to cry about.
Joe

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2008

bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
whatever...get a life
Great answer, Bobby. Very insightful. Now, go back to bed...you obviously need more sleep.

It's not ALL truckers. Nor is it all car drivers. Driving in and of itself is dangerous. We all take our lives into our hands when we get behind the wheel. We need to be careful and drive defensively.

Praying for ALL involved!!
Paul

Saint Joseph, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2008

Judged:

Get real people. I drive a car on I-94 every day from Kalamazoo to Benton Harbor and back to work. I see alot of fools in their cars that can't go fast enough to make it down the highway, 80 mph and more. And to top off the S.T.U.P.I.D driving habits, many drivers swerve into the path of a 100,000 lb truck to make their exit only by a couple of hundred feet if that. I've found so much easier to cruise at 63 to 65 mph to allow me to decompress from a days work. So much easier and I save fuel.
Ever notice that when someone merges onto the highway that most are only going 40 to 50 mph and the truck drivers try to do what can to move over. An on ramp is there to pick up speed and blend into traffic, not make the traffic move over to accommodate you. Yes, there are a few truck drivers that drive like they own the road, but that is a very few.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What about the Malaysian jetliner? 1 hr Cookie 11
Tea party the AmeicanTaliban 3 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 16
See which historic homes will be on the Heritag... 10 hr Coretta 1
Get Ready To Pay More For Food. 17 hr Phil 33
sochi russian for sucker!! 17 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 11
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Thu Another Observer 921
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Thu Go Blue Forever 895
•••
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search