Personal Hygiene for the needy?

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
R Tolar

Deerfield, IL

#1 May 20, 2009
The state, in its infinite wisdom, does not include items for personal hygiene in the food stamp program. It only takes a second or two to see what is wrong with this.

Food can be bought with the stamp program but buying soap to wash ones hands before eating is not allowed. That's an easy one.

What about after eating? Suppose a trip to the bathroom is needed? What to do? Bathroom tissue is not allowed in the food stamp program.

The list goes on and on. Just look at the necessary items drive that WOOD TV is holding on at this moment.

Personal items are being begged for so that the needy can wash their hands and take care of other personal things in closed rooms.

Is it unreasonable to let someone buy a personal odor preventing item?

Come on Lansing. Wake up and smell the crowd. You buy personal items. Let the needy do the same.

RT...
Wild Bill

United States

#2 May 20, 2009
Try tossing a quarter into a fountain while they watch. Works better if there is more than one of them watching. That way they fight over it while in the water.

“Employed taxpayer”

Since: Nov 08

West Olive

#3 May 20, 2009
When I'm in line behind someone paying with a bridge card they always seem to have cash for beer or cigarettes, and they're dressed better than I am for the most part.

“Russian ties?”

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#4 May 20, 2009
1960brookwood wrote:
When I'm in line behind someone paying with a bridge card they always seem to have cash for beer or cigarettes, and they're dressed better than I am for the most part.
and alot of times, they hop into an Escalade with 26 inch rim's.
But they walk out with a cart full of free food!
Go Figure that one out!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5 May 20, 2009
1960brookwood wrote:
When I'm in line behind someone paying with a bridge card they always seem to have cash for beer or cigarettes
Every time.
I see this crap every time I go to the store. Some welfare mom pays for new york strip steaks and shrimp with a bridge card and then has a second order separated (booze and smokes) that they pay cash for.

This system is out of hand and way too generous. They should only be able to get the basics like bread, eggs, vegetables, ground beef, etc. instead of fancy items that some working people can't afford.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 May 20, 2009
They even get an indigent package at the County Jail.
Cashier

Greenville, MI

#7 May 20, 2009
Some people have a cash bridge card that could be used for personal items. But I see it mostly used for things like DVDs. Or they buy a candy bar and get cash back and then buy cigarettes or alcohol.

Since: Oct 08

United States

#8 May 21, 2009
Cashier wrote:
Some people have a cash bridge card that could be used for personal items. But I see it mostly used for things like DVDs. Or they buy a candy bar and get cash back and then buy cigarettes or alcohol.
I saw that for the first time a few weeks ago. I had no idea that you could get cash back on the bridge cards (I'm sure that each card is different in what it covers). The customer bought a water w/ the bridge card, received money back & then bought a 12 pack of Bud! The water must have been for the next morning!
bitter taxpayer

United States

#9 May 21, 2009
1960brookwood wrote:
.... pet food, cable, cell phones, internet, acrylic nails, tattoos, gold chains, gold teeth, AND they are often all overweight.
When is the last time you have seen a welfare family with ribs?
Time to cut back the government handouts.
bitter taxpayer

United States

#10 May 21, 2009
There's a food pantry in a local town and they did tell someone driving a Jaguar that they could not take home all the free food.
R Tolar

Reedsville, WI

#11 May 21, 2009
It is absolutely amazing what the welfare system has turned into. It still falls back on the heads of the "All Knowing" in Lansing.

It's obvious that changes are needed. So my question now is; how do we get the dumb heads in Lansing to wake up and fix this system.

It can be done but do they want to fix it! Probably Not!

RT...
No illusions

Deerfield, IL

#12 May 21, 2009
I think the needy should be able to buy food and hygiene products but the Bridge card should work like WIC; specific items that are necessary.

Bread, eggs, cheese, oj, laundry soap, bar soap, lean meats, fresh vegies etc.
happy here

Deerfield, IL

#13 May 21, 2009
I was on food stamps some twenty years ago.

My husband was killed by a drunk driver and I had two little ones at home, age two and four.
While I regrouped, I had to get some kind of help.
I was so very careful with my food stamps. I only bought the staples and cooked from scratch to make sure there was enough to eat.
My parents helped out with non-food stamp products.
It took six months to get my head together. Then I went to school and worked 36 hours a week to get my degree.
I am grateful that the help was there when I needed it but am tired of paying for those who consider it a way of life.
I think it should be a help through hard times but not forever.
Get up, get a job or education or both and get moving. Solve your own problems.
Upyurz

Holland, MI

#14 May 21, 2009
Gville Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
and alot of times, they hop into an Escalade with 26 inch rim's.
But they walk out with a cart full of free food!
Go Figure that one out!
And their Escalade is parked in a Handicapped spot!
bitter taxpayer

United States

#15 May 21, 2009
Upyurz wrote:
<quoted text>
And their Escalade is parked in a Handicapped spot!
...and I'll bet a very overweight, over fed person will get out and waddle to the bakery.

And before I get the, "you hate fat people comments" you should know, I had a gastric by pass 5 five years ago. I get the whole overweight thing. I also bought all the standard denial excuses. I understand it all perfectly.
But the reality is, What you eat, you WILL wear.
FYI: 100 pounds lost. Best thing I ever did!
(I paid for my own but I heard Medicaid will pay for that too)
Sorry off topic. Think I'll start a thread about this.

“November 12th, 2011”

Since: Nov 07

up a tree

#16 May 21, 2009
bitter taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> And before I get the, "you hate fat people comments" you should know, I had a gastric by pass 5 five years ago. I get the whole overweight thing.
By your logic then a person can't be a racist if he has at least one minority friend. Uh yeah right. So you admit that exercise doesn't work and eating healthy has no impact, and you have no will power. The only thing you could do to "lose" weight was to SURGICALLY ALTER YOUR BODY, man that must have been awful for you, oh the sacrifice and discipline it must have took to pay a doctor to alter your body. But now that you've "lost" the weight, rather than support and encourage folks with the same struggles you had, you sit back and cast stones. I got news for you chief, you are now uglier than ever, and it is more obvious today than it was before your surgery.
bitter taxpayer

United States

#17 May 21, 2009
MIbowhunter wrote:
<quoted text>By your logic then a person can't be a racist if he has at least one minority friend. Uh yeah right. So you admit that exercise doesn't work and eating healthy has no impact, and you have no will power. The only thing you could do to "lose" weight was to SURGICALLY ALTER YOUR BODY, man that must have been awful for you, oh the sacrifice and discipline it must have took to pay a doctor to alter your body. But now that you've "lost" the weight, rather than support and encourage folks with the same struggles you had, you sit back and cast stones. I got news for you chief, you are now uglier than ever, and it is more obvious today than it was before your surgery.
A.“By your logic then a person can't be a racist if he has at least one minority friend.”
There are so many ways to rip up that comment but it’s not worth the effort.

B.“So you admit that exercise doesn't work, eating healthy has no impact, and you have no will power”
Yep, yep, yep, you are right, I was fat and lazy. Exercise didn’t work, eating healthy had no impact and I did have any more will power. And you point is what…?
That’s often the story of every overweight person.

C.“The only thing you could do to "lose" weight was to SURGICALLY ALTER YOUR BODY”
I dieted for years and years. Up and down. I was tired of it and by your way of thinking a pathetic failure. At 55 years old, having high blood pressure and diabetes I took drastic measures to restore my health.

D.“man that must have been awful for you, oh the sacrifice and discipline it must have took to pay a doctor to alter your body”
It was the best thing I ever decided to do. I got my health back. The sacrifice and disiple were worth it for sure and I have good insurance.

E.“But now that you've "lost" the weight, rather than support and encourage folks with the same struggles you had.”
You have no knowledge whatsoever of my life or what measure of support and encouragement I offer “folks with the same struggles I had…” You are very misguided.

F.…”you sit back and cast stones.”
Who is the stone caster here? Sitting back, making observations about topics you know zip about. You that are the true obesity racist. Throwing stones as every word in you post vomits up your hatred of fat people because we are too weak and lazy to do it on our own and have chosen surgery as a last resort..

G.“I got news for you chief, you are now uglier than ever, and it is more obvious today than it was before your surgery”
I didn’t do this for my looks, you moron, I did it for my health. I’m diabetes free and my blood pressure back to normal. But thanks for your heartfelt concern.

It’s people like you that make me sick. Once again a weight loss surgery slam guaranteed to guilt someone into giving up the last chance a restored health. So if you are not either morbidly overweight or have had weight loss surgery lets try shutting your big fat yap.

“November 12th, 2011”

Since: Nov 07

up a tree

#18 May 21, 2009
bitter taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> You have no knowledge whatsoever of my life or what measure of support and encouragement I offer “folks with the same struggles I had…” You are very misguided.
Who is the stone caster here? Sitting back, making observations about topics you know zip about. You that are the true obesity racist. Throwing stones as every word in you post vomits up your hatred of fat people because we are too weak and lazy to do it on our own and have chosen surgery as a last resort.
It’s people like you that make me sick. Once again a weight loss surgery slam guaranteed to guilt someone into giving up the last chance a restored health.
Maybe you could have some sort of surgery to fix your memory problems as well, read your own posts moron! You chose to stereotype and spew hatred against folks on public assistance and the overweight, with ZERO knowledge of their circumstances. Remember nitwit? Here since you've already admitted how lazy you are I will do it for you, just like the doctor did for your "weight loss".
bitter taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>.... pet food, cable, cell phones, internet, acrylic nails, tattoos, gold chains, gold teeth, AND they are often all overweight.
When is the last time you have seen a welfare family with ribs?
Time to cut back the government handouts.
Um yeah, no judgement or stone casting there. I wonder if there is a surgery you could have to make you more honest.
bitter taxpayer

United States

#19 May 21, 2009
Whatever.
Can't reason with stupid.
ses

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 May 21, 2009
If people are that upset about the abuses of bridge cards, I suggest that they start ranting and raving, by letter, to our state government. Using Topix to gripe and moan about the misuses of bridge cards or any other form of state or federal help, will not solve a thing except to get a topic going. Put your keyboard skills to better use, and start a letter writing campaign to Lansing insisting as a taxpayer you are fed up with the abuse of how tax dollars are used.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 9 hr WMNewsfan 3,179
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Sat Nkl 55
Quote of the Day (Jun '08) Jan 17 Kelly Joanne Cannon 2,851
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Jan 14 Wren 1,215
News Trump to end campaign in Michigan Monday with G... (Nov '16) Jan 12 Oneal 25
Why are Christian Reformed people idiots? (May '11) Jan 11 nowiknowbetter 177
Sick of the Bernstein Advantage? (Jun '09) Jan 1 Magic markers 24

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages