Owner dies; Andicott Floral closes

Owner dies; Andicott Floral closes

There are 8 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 18, 2008, titled Owner dies; Andicott Floral closes. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

The owner of the Andicott Fresh Floral Market died suddenly on Tuesday, forcing the closure of the shop he purchased in October 2007.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Teresa Jonkman

Montague, MI

#1 Jul 18, 2008
At this moment, I am reminded just how self centered our society has become. A man was despaired enough to take his own life and many people are without jobs but the main report on this story is how angry people are about not getting their wedding flowers?? I realize that is a problem but there are solutions as I am sure many local flower shops would love to have their business, allbeit last minute. But to IGNORE the fact that we are talking about a human being here, Ed Boesen and the fact that this man was saddened unto death is far more of a tradgedy than someone having to adjust plans for wedding flowers. I'm disappointed that your report failed to show any sympathy towards The Boesen Family, friends and Andicott employees for their loss. Our priorities are severely out of order.
Barb

Grand Blanc, MI

#2 Jul 18, 2008
It is sad that he was driven to the point of taking his own life,no doubt. However, many of the brides in question paid in full or made substantial deposits for flowers they will never see--and their is no money left so they will never see a refund. Many cannot afford to buy flowers again--nor can you get a florist to do a wedding last minute this time of year. It's very sad that in a few short months of ownership he took a well established, successful, and well run local business and ran it into the ground---sadder yet that he felt he had no alternative than to kill himself. Maybe the original owners can buy it back.

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

#3 Jul 19, 2008
I agree with Theresa. Wedding flowers would be the least of my concerns. We have a man who owned 4 successful local businesses that for whatever reason felt so overwhelmed that he took his own life. That is sad enough as it is, then to have his businesses close and workers out of local jobs is sad.

My sincerest sympathies to his family. I hope that they will be given the time to grieve and be left alone long enough to try and sort out the business problems with deposits and such.

As for the brides, etc. waiting for flowers, there are enough other floral companies who have vowed to step up and accomodate them, and even offered discounts to them. They could always do silk flowers as well, they are cheaper and more of a keepsake that way anyway. And I would hope that they have enough of a heart to give the family respect and time to sort out the businesses. They have lost an important part of their lives here, as you are just beginning yours.
Barb

Grand Blanc, MI

#4 Jul 19, 2008
If the businesses were successful there wouldn't be a problem--even with the passing of the owner, a successful business, with positive cash flow goes on. They do not shut them down on a days notice and stiff their customers. I feel sorry for this mans family, but I also feel sorry for those brides who have lost their money. They didn't do anything wrong and they are the ones losing out. I can't imagine anyone being happy with the option of buying fake flowers at Hobby Lobby as their alternative. Through the hard work of the employees the immediate orders were filled(folks who won't even be paid), but you would thing someone involved with the company would have thought to maybe have an employee call the pending orders and let them know the situation. Respect and concern goes both ways.
She Devil wrote:
I agree with Theresa. Wedding flowers would be the least of my concerns. We have a man who owned 4 successful local businesses that for whatever reason felt so overwhelmed that he took his own life. That is sad enough as it is, then to have his businesses close and workers out of local jobs is sad.
My sincerest sympathies to his family. I hope that they will be given the time to grieve and be left alone long enough to try and sort out the business problems with deposits and such.
As for the brides, etc. waiting for flowers, there are enough other floral companies who have vowed to step up and accomodate them, and even offered discounts to them. They could always do silk flowers as well, they are cheaper and more of a keepsake that way anyway. And I would hope that they have enough of a heart to give the family respect and time to sort out the businesses. They have lost an important part of their lives here, as you are just beginning yours.

“If ya can't say somethin' nice”

Since: Feb 08

Woodlands

#5 Jul 20, 2008
Barb wrote:
If the businesses were successful there wouldn't be a problem--even with the passing of the owner, a successful business, with positive cash flow goes on. They do not shut them down on a days notice and stiff their customers. I feel sorry for this mans family, but I also feel sorry for those brides who have lost their money. They didn't do anything wrong and they are the ones losing out. I can't imagine anyone being happy with the option of buying fake flowers at Hobby Lobby as their alternative. Through the hard work of the employees the immediate orders were filled(folks who won't even be paid), but you would thing someone involved with the company would have thought to maybe have an employee call the pending orders and let them know the situation. Respect and concern goes both ways.
<quoted text>
It may be a bit premature to chide folks for being upset... read the article at mlive.com from yesterday. It states that the asets are frozen. We all know that it takes more than a minute to have that happen. Someone knew what was going on before it got to this point.
I feel terrible for the family and friends of this man as well as those employees of the stores here in Michigan.
He had partners... are we all to believe that they knew nothing of what was happening? This does go beyond flower orders and upset brides.
Janet

Detroit, MI

#6 Jul 20, 2008
Something big was going on with this man and his business--for their assets to be frozen within a couple of days of his death means that some sort of long term investigation of his business had been going on. A sad turn of events for his family, employees and customers(both of whom will end up being stiffed, I am sure). Sad too, for Andy and Scott--they worked hard building a business and a wonderful reputation all those years and in a few short months after selling it this happens. I hope they decide to start something new--Andicott and it's helpful, creative employess will be missed.
Roger Plafkin

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Jul 17, 2013
We did not take our lives; however, read www.grandrapidsboltandnutco.com -click on the various captions beginning with Properties, Cascade, Idema, Stoppels, Murkowski, Vandermeulen, Michigan National, Westminster, Barrows, Brenner, Weathers, WNJ(Warner, Norcross and Judd), Wege, DeVos, VanAndel, Deeb, Pinsky, Hanenburg, and any others which you have time for. This site is published by our daughter who is a graduate of the Jewish Theological Seminary-3080 Broadway, New York, City.

Roger Plafkin-Plafkin Brothers-Grand Rapids Bolt and Nut Company-Plafkin Farms, Ada, Michigan
Plafmeister

Hudsonville, MI

#8 Jul 17, 2013
Roger Plafkin wrote:
We did not take our lives; however, read www.grandrapidsboltandnutco.com -click on the various captions beginning with Properties, Cascade, Idema, Stoppels, Murkowski, Vandermeulen, Michigan National, Westminster, Barrows, Brenner, Weathers, WNJ(Warner, Norcross and Judd), Wege, DeVos, VanAndel, Deeb, Pinsky, Hanenburg, and any others which you have time for. This site is published by our daughter who is a graduate of the Jewish Theological Seminary-3080 Broadway, New York, City.
Roger Plafkin-Plafkin Brothers-Grand Rapids Bolt and Nut Company-Plafkin Farms, Ada, Michigan
Rog - I must respectfully say that your daughter appears to be a whack job too - no offense!
I believe that the cheer often heard at basketball games applies to the Plafkin family:

Nuts & bolts, nuts and bolts; we got screwed.
Best wishes as you spin out of control.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 9 hr tom wingo 2,071
News New chiropractic tool treats back pain without ... (Apr '08) 12 hr Chiropractor From... 239
News Black Bear Spotted In Hartford 14 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
Local News Women (Apr '09) 17 hr BBQ dave 2,374
News 2014 Mini Cooper - Small Wheelbase, Long Legs Wed Go Blue Forever 1
News Want the city to pay for your pothole damage? (Mar '08) May 25 Oneal 56
Meat Pies! May 24 GoatMilkSaviour 1
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]