110 votes

Click on an option to vote

no

No

NO!

Deborah

Schaumburg, IL

#62 May 24, 2008
Granholm is to blame for Michigan's state of economy! She is the leader of Michigan and does have a say so in what goes on here. She has run businesses out of Michigan. I was born and raised here is this beautiful state and it makes me quite sad to see what she has done for us. What worries me most is if Clinton is elected then Granholm is going to work for her after she is done with us. How scary!
Sgt Mike

Colorado Springs, CO

#63 May 24, 2008
Miss KK wrote:
Why is thier no Yes?
I dare say I what to see who would step up and do "better"
The problem with people downing her is they are not really thinking about this the right way. She is not in 100% control of the state of Michigan. She is not the only one in control of the budget, funds etc. She is not the reason why jobs are not here. Does anyone honestly think that she has totally control over companies moving away? Do you think she has any control over the gas prices and please spare me on the whole gas tax thing. The little savings you would have you would end up spending on car repairs due to all the pot holes.
Engler screwed things up before she took over. It is not even an issue of domocrates or Republicians. Things are not looking good for the state, but the bottom line is ONE person does NOT have 100% control over everything.
BINGO
Sgt Mike

Colorado Springs, CO

#64 May 24, 2008
sick of stupid people wrote:
Of course she is to blame for Michigan's downfall. She has the function of negotiation with companies, like JCI for instance. She was completely blown away. She comes out to say JCI is returning jobs and gives them a huge tax break, yet the jobs keep on leaving and or employees receiving cuts in benefits.
Add to that more taxes on the people of Michigan who are left. It seems to me if I'm making less money, I have to make cuts in my budget. Our governor

believes you just raise your income. Common sense does not run Michigan.
We need to cut the fat out of the budget. No more pet projects like turtle fences in a bad economy.
for sure cut the fat like get rid of kawamy, what does that mean in swaheli my miss speling is intentional so all of you intelects back off
Sgt Mike

Colorado Springs, CO

#65 May 24, 2008
James T Kirk wrote:
It could have been worse. We could have had a crook like DeVos.
got that right, ddrive no on 131 and see the coal tender with englers name on wonder how much dykema paid him to guarenty there success
concerned taxpayer

Allendale, MI

#66 May 24, 2008
Electrolux "fled" Michigan because they could pay Mexican workers $1.50 an hour, Instead of paying Michigan workers $15.00 an hour. Is that Wartfaces fault? The fact is these large corparations are greedy. They do not care if Michigan goes down the tubes, as long as the shareholders get a return. And they get their millions. Most people do not help the situation. Most people shop on price and price alone. Good-bye middle-class it was nice knowing you.

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

#67 May 24, 2008
concerned taxpayer wrote:
Electrolux "fled" Michigan because they could pay Mexican workers $1.50 an hour, Instead of paying Michigan workers $15.00 an hour. Is that Wartfaces fault? The fact is these large corparations are greedy. They do not care if Michigan goes down the tubes, as long as the shareholders get a return. And they get their millions. Most people do not help the situation. Most people shop on price and price alone. Good-bye middle-class it was nice knowing you.
I agree with your post that alot of these companies are just greedy. But I also think that something should be done to try and keep companies from leaving.

What gets my goat is, Electrolux pulled jobs out of our State, and now we are seeing commercials from them in our area to buy their fantastic (sarcasm) products. That's like rubbing salt in a wound. And I will never buy an Electrolux appliance just for that reason!

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#68 May 24, 2008
She Devil wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your post that alot of these companies are just greedy. But I also think that something should be done to try and keep companies from leaving.
What gets my goat is, Electrolux pulled jobs out of our State, and now we are seeing commercials from them in our area to buy their fantastic (sarcasm) products. That's like rubbing salt in a wound. And I will never buy an Electrolux appliance just for that reason!
That's the kicker.. their sales dropped when the pulled out of MI. They are trying to get people to buy their products again and can't understand why people won't!
Jack

Montague, MI

#69 May 24, 2008
I love it when someone defends a democrat and says "their not to blame for this mess we are in... it's the Republicans!" BUT, when things are going wrong in the country, these same people are the ones who say it's ALL Bush's fault!!

Can't have it both ways people. I have a relative that says 9/11 happened on Bush's watch, but will blame Engler for all this state's recent woes... again can't say one thing and then apply a totally different train a of thought to the same situation.

Granholm doesn't have control over the gas prices, but Bush is DEFINITELY in control, because not one person can control things like this.

Colorado Springs, CO

#70 May 24, 2008
concerned taxpayer wrote:
They did not move their NON union plant in the south, I wonder why. Unions push businesses out of this state and Granmole supports them because the east side of the state elected her.
Chris

Loveland, CO

#71 May 26, 2008
Deborah wrote:
Granholm is to blame for Michigan's state of economy! She is the leader of Michigan and does have a say so in what goes on here. She has run businesses out of Michigan. I was born and raised here is this beautiful state and it makes me quite sad to see what she has done for us. What worries me most is if Clinton is elected then Granholm is going to work for her after she is done with us. How scary!
All those tax incentives/breaks being offered aren't pushing companies out, cheap labor is. Take Electrolux, they were offered ALLOT to stay but cheap labor will win every single time. I have friends that lost their jobs when Electrolux left but they were grateful for what Granholm and the state tried to do. I was born and raised here too and it makes me sad to see what we have known was going to happen for years, the auto industry was going to drag us down. My husband lost his job a few years ago because he worked for a business dependent on the auto industry so we have seen this first hand.

One more thing. Clinton needs the Dem nomination before she can be elected president. Since Obama looks like a lock for the Democratic nod, I don't see that happening :)

Colorado Springs, CO

#72 May 26, 2008
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
All those tax incentives/breaks being offered aren't pushing companies out, cheap labor is. Take Electrolux, they were offered ALLOT to stay but cheap labor will win every single time. I have friends that lost their jobs when Electrolux left but they were grateful for what Granholm and the state tried to do. I was born and raised here too and it makes me sad to see what we have known was going to happen for years, the auto industry was going to drag us down. My husband lost his job a few years ago because he worked for a business dependent on the auto industry so we have seen this first hand.
One more thing. Clinton needs the Dem nomination before she can be elected president. Since Obama looks like a lock for the Democratic nod, I don't see that happening :)
I'm not sure I see your point. Granmole waited until they were ready to move before offering any incentive for them to stay. To make matters worse since then, she has raised taxes on Michigan business yet again.

At least we have a couple B movies being filmed here this summer that she has given massive tax breaks to draw here. Never mind that the manufacturing businesses we build our lives around are getting the shaft. I am sure this will solve our problems once and for all.
Chris

Loveland, CO

#73 May 26, 2008
Mark is blown away wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure I see your point. Granmole waited until they were ready to move before offering any incentive for them to stay. To make matters worse since then, she has raised taxes on Michigan business yet again.
At least we have a couple B movies being filmed here this summer that she has given massive tax breaks to draw here. Never mind that the manufacturing businesses we build our lives around are getting the shaft. I am sure this will solve our problems once and for all.
I don't know a Grandmole, I was talking about Granholm. I guess you have her mixed up with someone else.

The person I am speaking of offered Electrolux everything possible, as well as what the city was offering. Electrolux was offered tens of millions of dollars in incentives (new building, free land) to stay but it wasn't enough. It was never going to be enough, they never had the intention of staying, they just listened to the offers to look good! I personally don't care how many commercials they run or who their spokesperson is, you won't find one of their products in my home!
Adam Geldersma

United States

#74 May 26, 2008
Alfred wrote:
What is her job ?
To suck, I guess? If so she is doing a fantastic job. Maybe next week she will go on another two week vacation while her state falls apart.

Battle Creek, MI

#75 May 26, 2008
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know a Grandmole, I was talking about Granholm. I guess you have her mixed up with someone else.
The person I am speaking of offered Electrolux everything possible, as well as what the city was offering. Electrolux was offered tens of millions of dollars in incentives (new building, free land) to stay but it wasn't enough. It was never going to be enough, they never had the intention of staying, they just listened to the offers to look good! I personally don't care how many commercials they run or who their spokesperson is, you won't find one of their products in my home!
That is your decision to not buy their products.

The fact remains Michigan is a crappy state to do business in and her high taxes are one of the primary reasons for that. They were already on their way out before she decided to try and help them.

How about the thousands of other Michigan businesses she 'helped' by raising their taxes after Electrosux left? She has learned nothing obviously.
Chris

Loveland, CO

#76 May 26, 2008
Mark is blown away wrote:
<quoted text>
That is your decision to not buy their products.
The fact remains Michigan is a crappy state to do business in and her high taxes are one of the primary reasons for that. They were already on their way out before she decided to try and help them.
How about the thousands of other Michigan businesses she 'helped' by raising their taxes after Electrosux left? She has learned nothing obviously.
So what are your suggestions? If we don't collect taxes from businesses, who do we collect taxes from? Do we ask our residents for more? What other programs can we cut? Since we can no longer depend on the auto industry, something we have been dependent on for far to long, for jobs both directly and indirectly, what do we do to attract diversified companies to our great state? If we offer these companies no tax packages etc...(something I do support), what do we do to balance the budget so we are not forced to cut more from needed services?

“OH what fun!!”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids

#77 May 26, 2008
Short but sweet, this state is in bad shape and it has been this way for a long time!! All government heads are crooks and cons. They talk out of both sides of their mouth. I did not vote for Grandmole, I did vote for Devos only because he has experience that she did not and what she was doing was not working. I would have loved to have a third choice but since that was not an option I went with what I thought this state needed.
jonjon

Holland, MI

#78 May 26, 2008
Miss KK wrote:
Why is thier no Yes?
I dare say I what to see who would step up and do "better"
The problem with people downing her is they are not really thinking about this the right way. She is not in 100% control of the state of Michigan. She is not the only one in control of the budget, funds etc. She is not the reason why jobs are not here. Does anyone honestly think that she has totally control over companies moving away? Do you think she has any control over the gas prices and please spare me on the whole gas tax thing. The little savings you would have you would end up spending on car repairs due to all the pot holes.
Engler screwed things up before she took over. It is not even an issue of domocrates or Republicians. Things are not looking good for the state, but the bottom line is ONE person does NOT have 100% control over everything.
typical liberal blame the other guy...

Battle Creek, MI

#79 May 26, 2008
There has to be balance, if we taxes businesses 100% they would all leave the state. If we tax them little or nothing nothing as Texas does and is very successful, the employers would flock to the state.

When people have jobs, they have money to spend and it helps the economy. When people do not have jobs such as here in Michigan the economy takes a dump and the welfare and unemployment leeches take an even bigger bite out of the system.

I could elaborate here but the bottom line is if we 'Michigan' charge businesses more to do businesses than other states do, they will migrate to the states that are more business friendly as they are now and have been.

We are not a right to work state, as such the UAW has ruined our state and has literally chased the automotive work out of the state and to the union free south. Several Japanese automakers wanted to build plants here in Michigan. As the former manufacturing leader in the nation we were the obvious choice for their plants.

Unfortunately besides having all of the infastructure to support more automotive manufacturing in this state we also have the good old UAW.

When the Japanese began the process of choosing locations for their plants the UAW promptly stuck their greedy hands out reminding them that we are not a right to work state. The UAW would infest their plants like it or not. Rather than deal with the UAW they built plants in the south instead, in right to work states.

We are the only state in the NATION without welfare term limits this needs to change ASAP.

I would also eliminate prison time for non violent criminals. Michigan has one of the most prison intensive punishment systems (read expensive) in the nation as well.

I could write a book about what she has not done for the state. We need to reduce our tax burden and cut government spending. Until we make Michigan more attractive to employers it will continue to dwindle away.
Chris

Loveland, CO

#80 May 26, 2008
I think you make some good suggestions but what works for one state doesn't mean it would work for this one.

It isn't like she is sitting idle. Any new business in a high growth area will pay no taxes for the first year I believe. Businesses that are already here (in the same areas) will receive business tax cuts. She has traveled to other countries to bring jobs to this state and has had small payoffs there.

She isn't perfect but then none of us are. At the end of the day I doubt Devos or anyone else would be doing much if anything differently. When things are bad the blame game is always in full swing, when things are good their singing your praises.

Colorado Springs, CO

#81 May 26, 2008
Chris wrote:
I think you make some good suggestions but what works for one state doesn't mean it would work for this one.
It isn't like she is sitting idle. Any new business in a high growth area will pay no taxes for the first year I believe. Businesses that are already here (in the same areas) will receive business tax cuts. She has traveled to other countries to bring jobs to this state and has had small payoffs there.
She isn't perfect but then none of us are. At the end of the day I doubt Devos or anyone else would be doing much if anything differently. When things are bad the blame game is always in full swing, when things are good their singing your praises.
Tax cuts? She just passed the BIGGEST tax increase for Michigan businesses ever. Devos, like him or not would not have done this believe me.

She needs to be concerned with our MANUFACTURING businesses that is our former strong point. The media is quick to cover every new 200 jobs that enter the state with her smiling face and a glowing review. Average Joe never know about the thousands that are leaving on a weekly basis because that does not help her image.

While she is off enjoying Europe on our dime getting us perhaps 200 jobs per trip, thousands more are leaving the state while she is gone.

Economics is universal, it's like math 2 + 2 is always 4. If you think differently I am open to an explanation.

No one is perfect I agree, but she is a TERRIBLE governor.

She also happens to be the second highest paid governor in the nation. This alone should tell people something about our government. If any CEO performed as badly as she has, she would have been canned years ago. If Michigan were a publicly traded company, the board members would have axed her long ago for non performance.

Look at what has happened to our state since we have been blown away! The buck stops with her, as the head of the state, she has not done her job, she needs to go. Any respectable business person worth his or her salt would step down from such a pitiful performance.

Seriously, what has she done to help the state?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 2 hr Soph 1,142
Truly Disturbing Racism and The Silence That Fo... 16 hr Gville Jim 9
Local News Women (Apr '09) Sun T-Man 2,823
News Donald Trump defends use of "sch****ed" against... (Dec '15) Sat MrsMrs90 89
Does anyone know why the Chez Ami Bowling alley... (Sep '14) Sat MrsMrs90 6
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Sat MrsMrs90 613
Is Obama a hypocrite? Jan 13 Gville Jim 49

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages