New York Moves Closer to Same-sex Mar...

New York Moves Closer to Same-sex Marriage

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Jackson, MI

#1 May 13, 2009
Another state getting on the band wagon??

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/13/new.yo...

“10k yr old politician”

Since: Apr 08

Grand Rapids MI

#3 May 13, 2009
Marriage-2005 edition of Websters does not mention male or female or husband or wife. The
Websters New Roget's Thesaurus does mention husband and wife.
Why not just call it bond or bondage. It has all the meanings necessary and the folks that have a problem with marriage should be able to live with it.
Now you have to work on the folks that have a moral/religious/legal problem with two men or two women living and loving together.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 May 13, 2009
If two folks of the same sex want to get married, it surely doesn't deflect or change a straight couples marriage, so why do folks care? Make your statement on more of a personal level (personal choices, you know like the GOP advocates) and not attend a ceremony or leave a church that allows one, why depend on government for everything, isn't that the GOP way? Not exactly consistent thinking.
Thewayiseeit

Cadillac, MI

#5 May 13, 2009
Why are "gay" people viewed like a racial or religious segment of our society? In my eyes, they should be viewed more as people with unnatural sexual habits like exhibitionists or people with abnormal mental conditions because I believe that's what they really are. They need help. Why in the world would a man want to put his thing in any opening of another man? It just sounds so perverse and sick.

“Go Red Wings!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Plainfield Township MI

#6 May 13, 2009
Maybe if the religious zealots worked as hard at helping people in poverty or volunteering at veterans homes as they do trying to run other peoples' lives, the world would be a better place.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 May 13, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
Why are "gay" people viewed like a racial or religious segment of our society? In my eyes, they should be viewed more as people with unnatural sexual habits like exhibitionists or people with abnormal mental conditions because I believe that's what they really are. They need help. Why in the world would a man want to put his thing in any opening of another man? It just sounds so perverse and sick.
You're focusing way too much on someone's personal life. Doubt very much that you sit and ponder all the different sexual preferences of a hetro couple, if you do, try therapy.
Thewayiseeit

Cadillac, MI

#8 May 13, 2009
Alvin wrote:
<quoted text>You're focusing way too much on someone's personal life. Doubt very much that you sit and ponder all the different sexual preferences of a hetro couple, if you do, try therapy.
I'm focused on homosexuals because that is what this thread is about!
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 May 13, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm focused on homosexuals because that is what this thread is about!
It isn't about their sex lives, weird to be so focused on perhaps one aspect of someone else's life.
Allegan Redneck

United States

#10 May 13, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
How are people with abnormal mental conditions viewed? I only ask because statistically, one in every three people suffers from a mental disorder. Well, I see me and I see Alvin so....guess what sparky?

“think for yourself”

Since: Aug 08

GR

#11 May 13, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
Some may think what I do with my guy behind closed doors is perverse and sick. Does that mean it should be against the law?
Joann

Kalamazoo, MI

#12 May 13, 2009
I read a statistic recently that being gay is about as unusual as being left-handed. I don't see what the big deal is.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 May 13, 2009
Joann wrote:
I read a statistic recently that being gay is about as unusual as being left-handed. I don't see what the big deal is.
Me either, and I sure don't get why folks care if a gay couple wants to get married. If for some reason you don't approve, don't go to the wedding and stay home with your closed mind.

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

#14 May 13, 2009
Alvin wrote:
<quoted text>Me either, and I sure don't get why folks care if a gay couple wants to get married. If for some reason you don't approve, don't go to the wedding and stay home with your closed mind.
I have no problem with " gay people " at all. I have mingled with plenty. I think it just maybe the word married that bothers "straight" people. JMO

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

#15 May 13, 2009
Joann wrote:
I'm left handed writing but do several things with either hand but I'm not gay so am I really unusual??

“Don't touch my junk man!”

Since: Nov 07

Middle of the Mitten, Michigan

#16 May 13, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
Do you really think people CHOOSE to live their lives being treated as second class citizens by certain segments of society?

I can't wrap my mind around your argument. Very few people would choose in all honesty to go against the grain of society. When it comes to sexuality some people are genetically hard wired to be attracted to the same sex, whether they want to be or not.

In any event, I know it's a tired argument, but if half of all "opposite sex" marriages end in divorce, what's so sacred about it to begin with?

“Don't touch my junk man!”

Since: Nov 07

Middle of the Mitten, Michigan

#17 May 13, 2009
Union All The Way wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm left handed writing but do several things with either hand but I'm not gay so am I really unusual??
You ambidextrous which is even MORE unusual.

So yeah...yeah you are. ;-)

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

#18 May 13, 2009
Amazarak wrote:
<quoted text>
Some may think what I do with my guy behind closed doors is perverse and sick. Does that mean it should be against the law?
For sure I want to party with you....
Allegan Redneck

United States

#19 May 13, 2009
Union All The Way wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with " gay people " at all. I have mingled with plenty. I think it just maybe the word married that bothers "straight" people. JMO
Agreed. Call it a civil union or whatever if it makes people feel better, but have some way of having it reconigzed. There was a gay couple who lived in my neighborhood for a few years, they seemed nice enough. From a previous marriage 'they' had a 10 year old daughter and they were the only 'parents' that kid knew. I thought it would be weird but when you saw her with them it really wasn't. I remember thinking what happens if her biological dad gets killed? Her other 'parent' has no legal rights whatsoever, does she get ripped away from the only family she has left and becomes what a ward of the state? I don't care how you look at that, it's just not right...

Now Amazarak, let's get back to discussing what you do behind closed doors; and don't worry about it being sick or perverted. Union and I will be the judge of that.:-)

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

#20 May 13, 2009
Allegan Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Call it a civil union or whatever if it makes people feel better, but have some way of having it reconigzed. There was a gay couple who lived in my neighborhood for a few years, they seemed nice enough. From a previous marriage 'they' had a 10 year old daughter and they were the only 'parents' that kid knew. I thought it would be weird but when you saw her with them it really wasn't. I remember thinking what happens if her biological dad gets killed? Her other 'parent' has no legal rights whatsoever, does she get ripped away from the only family she has left and becomes what a ward of the state? I don't care how you look at that, it's just not right...
Now Amazarak, let's get back to discussing what you do behind closed doors; and don't worry about it being sick or perverted. Union and I will be the judge of that.:-)
My kinda guy you are AR. Nothing wrong with proof.

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

#21 May 13, 2009
Ms Angie wrote:
<quoted text>
You ambidextrous which is even MORE unusual.
So yeah...yeah you are. ;-)
Geez that's a big word....LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 12 hr T-Man 2,673
Why Trump is running for prez Fri RushFan666 7
Days of Yore Thu Joe Schlitzpack 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Thu Irememberwhen 1,080
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Thu Sharon Sharealike 12
News a Very conservativea platform, Pence VP pick me... Jul 25 DR X 29
Politics aside, I'm sick of Beyonce Jul 22 Idea Maker 1

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages