PGW

Since: Mar 08

Barbeau, MI

#23 Oct 15, 2010
Informed voter for years wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2010/10/...
Now come on PGW, tell me what debate you watched. Benson looked like a fool. As for "false" reports, leave those up to the Dems..It was Johnson who found out the Democratic impersonation of the Tea Party, you know the ones the Dems tried to rig voting in Oakland County. Put a Dem in charge of a MI election, have it span over several days, you might just as well have had Jackie Currie running the polls, God rest her corrupt soul.
The link you provided points to a simple review on the debate. I expressed my opinion that Benson appeared to be the better candidate. You are entitled to disagree. However, you also made a serious claim that individuals have gone to the polls using different aliases to vote multiple times fraudulently. I am looking for links to prove your claim. As far as I know, Michigan has never had one case of what you claim to have seen personally as a poll monitor.
Essam

Dearborn, MI

#24 Oct 15, 2010
Democratic make changes
Informed voter for years

Grosse Pointe, MI

#25 Oct 15, 2010
PGW wrote:
<quoted text>
The link you provided points to a simple review on the debate. I expressed my opinion that Benson appeared to be the better candidate. You are entitled to disagree. However, you also made a serious claim that individuals have gone to the polls using different aliases to vote multiple times fraudulently. I am looking for links to prove your claim. As far as I know, Michigan has never had one case of what you claim to have seen personally as a poll monitor.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster1...

Here is what I can find as a link that is closest to the 2004 year election that I came across the possible fraud. I submitted my observations to Terry Lynn Land after the election. The 20 some odd voters to one address, Michigan had just implemented the provisional ballot for those who come in and try to vote without the proper photo I.D.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Challen...
http://www.michparticipationproject.org/votin...

There is no reason you would hear of any of this particular instance, I only submitted my observation along with the address in question, it was then up to the Sec. of State to follow through.

PGW

Since: Mar 08

Barbeau, MI

#26 Oct 16, 2010
Informed voter for years wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster1...
Here is what I can find as a link that is closest to the 2004 year election that I came across the possible fraud. I submitted my observations to Terry Lynn Land after the election. The 20 some odd voters to one address, Michigan had just implemented the provisional ballot for those who come in and try to vote without the proper photo I.D.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Challen...
http://www.michparticipationproject.org/votin...
There is no reason you would hear of any of this particular instance, I only submitted my observation along with the address in question, it was then up to the Sec. of State to follow through.
Your first link refers to reports that city-clerk agents privately marked the ballots of nursing home residents. From reports I have read online, the courts took over the absentee ballots to ensure compliance. The system worked to correct the problem.

But that is not what you were claiming: that individuals were voting multiple times under various aliases. There are two outsider roles at a polling place: challenger and monitor. Monitors are not allowed to challenge. They represent the local political party to observe the voting process only. They do not have the right to touch the voting materials or to challenge anyone.

Challengers are appointed by the party and have the right to challenge a voter, but must do so on a reliable basis, not on “impression.” The challenges are documented and submitted with the votes to be reviewed by appropriate officials.

Proof of voter registration is required and/or alternative proof of residency which is reviewed for validity.

I have not read about any cases of one person trying to vote under different names, let alone all supposedly tied to the same address.
Informed voter for years

Grosse Pointe, MI

#27 Oct 16, 2010
PGW wrote:
<quoted text>
Your first link refers to reports that city-clerk agents privately marked the ballots of nursing home residents. From reports I have read online, the courts took over the absentee ballots to ensure compliance. The system worked to correct the problem.
But that is not what you were claiming: that individuals were voting multiple times under various aliases. There are two outsider roles at a polling place: challenger and monitor. Monitors are not allowed to challenge. They represent the local political party to observe the voting process only. They do not have the right to touch the voting materials or to challenge anyone.
Challengers are appointed by the party and have the right to challenge a voter, but must do so on a reliable basis, not on “impression.” The challenges are documented and submitted with the votes to be reviewed by appropriate officials.
Proof of voter registration is required and/or alternative proof of residency which is reviewed for validity.
I have not read about any cases of one person trying to vote under different names, let alone all supposedly tied to the same address.
I was a monitor, reported the address to the proper agency,SOS, which is my right as a citizen and the reason for my monitoring as well. I informed them of the address and the number of people who showed up to vote with that particular address without proper I.D. in that particular polling place. There was no reason for you to read about such an experience. I don't blog, I just follow the rules. I suggest that you wake up to the fact that fraud does happen, there are procedures in place, that challenges and monitors both regularly report to SOS any suspicious activity. Because you haven't read about it, doesn't mean it didn't happen, let alone that I did not witness it. Your constant reference about needing a link or proof sounds to me that all votes are legitimate in MI or for that matter across the country. You are either very naive or very young, or both.

PGW

Since: Mar 08

Barbeau, MI

#28 Oct 16, 2010
I am insisting on links to prove your claim that individuals voted multiple times using various aliases. I do not take the word of just one person making such claims. I require validation by reliable sources. In this day and age of spurious emails and internet comments that make unfounded claims with no show of proof and driven by political bias, I do not think that requiring validation is "naive."

I never said that voting irregularities do not occur, but I am saying that there have been no validated instances of individuals voting multiple times under different aliases. Thus far, you have yet to prove that.

Even if someone were to vote with a provisional ballot away from his/her registered precinct, the case is duly noted and, if merited, the vote is screened out later. The system has checks in place against such occurrences.

Pushing an elderly nursing home resident into voting a certain way is dead wrong and deserves appropriate legal punishment. But that does not equate at all to the claim that an individual or group of individuals is voting under multiple aliases.
Informed voter for years

Grosse Pointe, MI

#29 Oct 16, 2010
PGW wrote:
I am insisting on links to prove your claim that individuals voted multiple times using various aliases. I do not take the word of just one person making such claims. I require validation by reliable sources. In this day and age of spurious emails and internet comments that make unfounded claims with no show of proof and driven by political bias, I do not think that requiring validation is "naive."
I never said that voting irregularities do not occur, but I am saying that there have been no validated instances of individuals voting multiple times under different aliases. Thus far, you have yet to prove that.
Even if someone were to vote with a provisional ballot away from his/her registered precinct, the case is duly noted and, if merited, the vote is screened out later. The system has checks in place against such occurrences.
Pushing an elderly nursing home resident into voting a certain way is dead wrong and deserves appropriate legal punishment. But that does not equate at all to the claim that an individual or group of individuals is voting under multiple aliases.
Perhaps a call to the Secretary of State is in order. I did submit what I noticed as a monitor years ago. You can ask them if such instances occur and how they handle it. All I know is that it was actually an apartment or condo. when I drove by to see if it was a what type of residence it was, in was on a main street. It was a multi-unit complex, yet each individual unit had assigned only one address. Provisional ballots were new, so I know the "voters" were unaware of the more accurate procedure was in place, some left to say they would come back later. All I know is that it happened and there is no reason to make dubious remarks. Terry Lynn Land's record is exemplary, so is Ruth Johnson's, as was Candice Miller's is and was as SOS. I don't say anyone can say that of the Democratic Party at all, especially in Oakland Cty. Heck, just look at prior opponents for SOS. You have to be downright nuts to vote a Democrat in that position, especially if you're an independent.
PGW

Dafter, MI

#30 Oct 16, 2010
Informed voter for years wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps a call to the Secretary of State is in order. I did submit what I noticed as a monitor years ago. You can ask them if such instances occur and how they handle it. All I know is that it was actually an apartment or condo. when I drove by to see if it was a what type of residence it was, in was on a main street. It was a multi-unit complex, yet each individual unit had assigned only one address. Provisional ballots were new, so I know the "voters" were unaware of the more accurate procedure was in place, some left to say they would come back later. All I know is that it happened and there is no reason to make dubious remarks. Terry Lynn Land's record is exemplary, so is Ruth Johnson's, as was Candice Miller's is and was as SOS. I don't say anyone can say that of the Democratic Party at all, especially in Oakland Cty. Heck, just look at prior opponents for SOS. You have to be downright nuts to vote a Democrat in that position, especially if you're an independent.
I do not care to generalize about candidates on the basis of political party. I vote mostly Democratic, but I have also voted for Republican candidates depending on their stand on certain issues.
I certainly do not care to engage in negative attacks about either SOS candidate. I assume that each has it in her heart to do her best if elected. Frankly, I have grown tired of candidates being labeled as either "angel" or "demon" with no in-between.
We obviously differ, but that's America. I appreciate your honesty about what you had personally observed in the past election.
Yvonne

Grand Rapids, MI

#31 Oct 16, 2010
I support what she will bring to the post of secretary of state.
Really

Dearborn Heights, MI

#32 Oct 17, 2010
PGW wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not care to generalize about candidates on the basis of political party. I vote mostly Democratic, but I have also voted for Republican candidates depending on their stand on certain issues.
I certainly do not care to engage in negative attacks about either SOS candidate. I assume that each has it in her heart to do her best if elected. Frankly, I have grown tired of candidates being labeled as either "angel" or "demon" with no in-between.
We obviously differ, but that's America. I appreciate your honesty about what you had personally observed in the past election.
Why not??? The Dems have shown that they do not think for themselves, they folow their leader , even when he's leading them off a cliff...They have strayed so far from the constitution, it's hard to understand ,unless you are of the very far left persuation..It's about our freedom..In this case it's about the freedom to have fair elections without being disenfranchised...

PGW

Since: Mar 08

Barbeau, MI

#33 Oct 17, 2010
Really wrote:
<quoted text>Why not??? The Dems have shown that they do not think for themselves, they folow their leader , even when he's leading them off a cliff...They have strayed so far from the constitution, it's hard to understand ,unless you are of the very far left persuation..It's about our freedom..In this case it's about the freedom to have fair elections without being disenfranchised...
Your reply makes a general statement involving the Constitution and asserts that we are not in compliance with it. We have courts and elections to deal with such issues. You have the ability to vote according to your views. Organized groups have the ability to bring legal challenges to court.

As for following leaders, lemmings are found in all political groups. People base their opinions on what they learn from others who they believe in. Many individuals make that extra effort to think for themselves based on the information they absorb from various sources. I am pretty confident that at least a majority of Americans understand the difference between bias and objectivity in the information they are receiving and process it accordingly.

If you disagree with Democrats, you are perfectly entitled. To say that they are mindless followers is really nothing more than a personalized attack against those with whom you do not agree. That leads only to corrosive dialogue and disrespects American diversity.
Lost in Translation

United States

#34 Oct 17, 2010
i hate queer republicans
Seeking truth

Dearborn, MI

#35 Oct 17, 2010
Lost in Translation wrote:
i hate queer republicans
People, disregard the above post. It was made by a psychotic Republican troll who feels he has to impersonate and insult people to make his point, rather than explain why we should vote for Snyder who personally enriched himself by off-shoring jobs, instead of Bernero who showed responsible leadership balancing the budget year after year, while not firing employees.

Lost in Translation supports Bernero and posted on other threads that he would never make the kind of homophobic comment that the troll made above, and often makes while impersonating others. It's so pathetic that Snyder supporters would stoop to such deception invoking fear and hatred to motivate their extremist base.
Annie

White Lake, MI

#36 Oct 17, 2010
Our best choice of straightening out voting in MI.
jane bellezza-dziurda

Goodrich, MI

#37 Oct 17, 2010
I think Benson is an outstanding candidate.
Ryan

Philadelphia, PA

#38 Oct 17, 2010
Benson is a powerhouse. She literally wrote the book on being a Secretary of State. She is nationally known for her expertise in this area.
Informed voter for years

Grosse Pointe, MI

#39 Oct 17, 2010
PGW wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not care to generalize about candidates on the basis of political party. I vote mostly Democratic, but I have also voted for Republican candidates depending on their stand on certain issues.
I certainly do not care to engage in negative attacks about either SOS candidate. I assume that each has it in her heart to do her best if elected. Frankly, I have grown tired of candidates being labeled as either "angel" or "demon" with no in-between.
We obviously differ, but that's America. I appreciate your honesty about what you had personally observed in the past election.
I agree in not engaging in "negative" attacks on candidates, but when you point out a particular parties practices as of late regarding their INTERGRITY in the voting ballots, is that "demonizing"? It's a FACT that the Democratic party has attempted to engage in voter fraud with respects to the Tea Party "candidates". It's a fact that in prior elections in MI, voter fraud has not only happenend, but was done so at the hands of Democrats in Nursing homes. It is a FACT that in the Detroit Metro Area, several complaints and witnesses have seen voter fraud in the Democratic Party.(I am not saying that perhaps the Republican Party has attempted this in Michigan, I am sure there have been some cases.) My issue is that when this occurs, the Republicans seem to take legal action against their own. Only recent, with Kim Worthy, have I seen a Democratic Public Official go toe to toe with another Democrat. We have a newer City Clerk in Detroit as well, last I heard (years ago) she has been purging the voter rolls and doing her best to clean up the voting mess left by Currie. Just to let you know, Janice Winfrey, had she won the primary, would have given Ruth Johnson a run for her money. I would most likely would have voted for her if it was anyone else but Ruth Johnson. Ruth has already PROVEN her merit, and Benson, recieving the backing of George Seros leaves me more distrustful of her. If that's considered BIAS, and not Informed, then you and I absolutely disagree.
Informed voter for years

Grosse Pointe, MI

#40 Oct 17, 2010
Ryan wrote:
Benson is a powerhouse. She literally wrote the book on being a Secretary of State. She is nationally known for her expertise in this area.
She's a lawyer from Wayne State, endorsed by Seros. That she wrote a book does not make her qualified for the position. There are those who DO (Ruth Johnson) and those who "KNOW" but don't DO. Big Difference. Now I will admit that this comment is Bias, but only because, having seen what Seros and the Dems are capable of with respects to voter fraud, I wouldn't put it past any SOS to attempt to sabatage the elections. Benson may just know how to get away with it. Move on dot org. needs to go the way of Acorn (though they are still present under different names). Sorry, won't trust a Democrat in that position that hasn't proven their merit with respects to elections.

PGW

Since: Mar 08

Barbeau, MI

#41 Oct 18, 2010
Vote according to your viewpoint. If you believe the Republican Party has 100% total integrity and that Koch Brother ties to the Tea Party is not at all a part of Ruth Johnson's campaign; if you believe that the Republican Party's pure goal is to enable everyone to vote and in no way has a history of suppressing and disenfranchising voters, then vote for Ruth Johnson. No one is standing in your way.

It is easy to smear anyone with innuendo and suspicion, isn't it?

Those of us less than "perfect" will vote for the person whom we believe is more qualified: Jocelyn Benson. May be best person win. I for one will accept the outcome either way it turns out.
rdp

United States

#42 Oct 18, 2010
I am a Republican that is sick of the religious right hijacking my party. I will vote all Republican except this race because the Dem is the only choice for support of stem cell research...and NO, stem cell research does NOT mean abortion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Buffalo Bull 1,480
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 5 hr cnreadle 974
sony balony 19 hr kookierecluse 4
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 22 hr DrX 54
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways Fri Really 18
3 reasons Grand Rapids-area Muslims want to ope... Thu tom_ 21
City of Pentecost Christmas program Thu COP OUTREACH 1
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Updated Rankings for Sunday's Action
Bleacher Report 6:02 AM
The Coach That Could Turn Around Bears
Bleacher Report11:28 AM
Jay Cutler Rumors: Latest Details, Speculation on Bears QB's Future
NBC Sports12:33 PM
1 thing even Rahm can't fix: Da Bears - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler