Car buyers standing by GM

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

General Motors Corporation stock hit its lowest point in more than 75 years on Friday, falling to just $1.27 per share at one point.
Comments
7,121 - 7,140 of 7,213 Comments Last updated Jan 24, 2014

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#7356 Jan 23, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> What bar did Tundra set? Worst selling full size truck? Lowest ranking overall of full size trucks? Most expensive of full size truck? What bar you talking about?
Why would you take it upon yourself, to be the defender and spokesman for large domestic trucks....do you work at a domestic dealership or something? Are you just learning that foreign automakers have become very successful, here in America?
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#7357 Jan 23, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> You guys have your opinions on the foreign cars but when it comes to trucks the foreign companies don't stand a chance. Just look at the sales numbers and look on job sites you will see the trucks that dominate.
Quality aside, we know you will never waver on your stance of foreign vs. American.
But, what is foreign vs. American? They are simply foreign BRANDS and American BRANDS. It's a world market now.
The "Big Three" make many of their cars in Canada and Mexico, and the "Foreign" carmakers make many of their cars here in the U.S. with American parts and labor.
You have said, that it's where the profits go. Well, Chrysler is owned by Fiat...a foreign company. What does that make Chrysler, an American company or a foreign company?
Do you drink Bud or Busch beer? Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian brewing company called In-Bev. If you drink Bud, you are supporting a foreign company.
It's not so bad. We buy foreign stuff. They buy American stuff. The trade deficit needs to be reduced, but that's the way it works.
Frank

Shelby, OH

#7358 Jan 23, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Why would you take it upon yourself, to be the defender and spokesman for large domestic trucks....do you work at a domestic dealership or something? Are you just learning that foreign automakers have become very successful, here in America?
I do not work at a dealership. I defend domestic because alot (not all) of foreign companies come here and their wages are alot less than our domestic companies and sell their product for the same price if not more.
Frank

Shelby, OH

#7359 Jan 23, 2013
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Quality aside, we know you will never waver on your stance of foreign vs. American.
But, what is foreign vs. American? They are simply foreign BRANDS and American BRANDS. It's a world market now.
The "Big Three" make many of their cars in Canada and Mexico, and the "Foreign" carmakers make many of their cars here in the U.S. with American parts and labor.
You have said, that it's where the profits go. Well, Chrysler is owned by Fiat...a foreign company. What does that make Chrysler, an American company or a foreign company?
Do you drink Bud or Busch beer? Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian brewing company called In-Bev. If you drink Bud, you are supporting a foreign company.
It's not so bad. We buy foreign stuff. They buy American stuff. The trade deficit needs to be reduced, but that's the way it works.
Do some research Ford and GM do not make that many vehicles in Canada and Mexico. GM pulled alot of the truck assembly that was in mexico and Canada and moved it to Indiana and Michigan. TOYota moved the Tacoma from a UNION shop to a fully automated plant in Mexico. TOYota doesn't even want to pay mexicans to do it. Thats bad. As for your opinion on trade. We buy TOO MUCH of their stuff and they don't buy enough of ours.

“Employed taxpayer”

Since: Nov 08

West Olive

#7360 Jan 23, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> Do some research Ford and GM do not make that many vehicles in Canada and Mexico. GM pulled alot of the truck assembly that was in mexico and Canada and moved it to Indiana and Michigan. TOYota moved the Tacoma from a UNION shop to a fully automated plant in Mexico. TOYota doesn't even want to pay mexicans to do it. Thats bad. As for your opinion on trade. We buy TOO MUCH of their stuff and they don't buy enough of ours.
Toyota moved out of the NUMMI plant which was a joint venture because GM went bankrupt and Pontiac ceased to be a GM brand--GM and Toyota were built from the same parts on the same assembly line.

You fought with me for a long time--If I recall you claimed no GM trucks were built in Mexico. Perhaps you are the one who should do some research before running his mouth
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

#7361 Jan 23, 2013
Old rocker said, "Quality aside....." Of, quality aside, that puts domestics at the metal wagon stage! Listen, we bailed out a useless company. Then Detroit wrote an article saying they were on top....really. Never happened. Don't believe everything you hear or read. Domestics still have along way to go to be part of the "QUAILTY" department. They can blow sunshine up your ass5454s all day long, its still a fact domestics are a problem in every aspect of the automotive industry!!!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

#7362 Jan 24, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> I do not work at a dealership. I defend domestic because alot (not all) of foreign companies come here and their wages are alot less than our domestic companies and sell their product for the same price if not more.
Their wages are less because their employees aren't forced to join the unions...that was easy.....

Location hidden

#7363 Jan 24, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> I do not work at a dealership. I defend domestic because alot (not all) of foreign companies come here and their wages are alot less than our domestic companies and sell their product for the same price if not more.
You do understand, that because so many foreign brands are built here now.....your attitude may be somewhat unrealistic? Would'nt you prefer an american-built truck, regardless of brandname?
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#7364 Jan 24, 2013
1960brookwood wrote:
<quoted text>
Toyota moved out of the NUMMI plant which was a joint venture because GM went bankrupt and Pontiac ceased to be a GM brand--GM and Toyota were built from the same parts on the same assembly line.
You fought with me for a long time--If I recall you claimed no GM trucks were built in Mexico. Perhaps you are the one who should do some research before running his mouth
We can lay out fact after fact, but Frank will never change his mind. He simply cannot grasp the concept of "World Market".
He cannot, or will not see the difference between American companies and American brands.

Location hidden

#7365 Jan 24, 2013
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
We can lay out fact after fact, but Frank will never change his mind. He simply cannot grasp the concept of "World Market".
He cannot, or will not see the difference between American companies and American brands.
I know i still have a few relatives that think that way....including my father, who actually loved the Beetle and was intrigued by the Toyota Crown wagon, back in the early 70's......in reality, it was all i could do to get him off Cadillac and onto a more reliable RWD, Grand Marquis...lol...had to stay BIG.....

Location hidden

#7366 Jan 24, 2013
BTW, January is notoriously a great month to buy two things....Cars and HDTV's....don't know all the reasoning, but much has to do with yearend inventorys and in the case of electronics, leftover product from Christmas.....
Dee Hood

Lady Lake, FL

#7367 Jan 24, 2013
government motors suck!!!
Frank

Columbus, OH

#7368 Jan 25, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Their wages are less because their employees aren't forced to join the unions...that was easy.....
Then why are their vehicles in the same price range? Alot of money going to other countries.
Frank

Columbus, OH

#7369 Jan 25, 2013
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right I will never change my mind. I do not beleive in a world market we should do our thing here and they should do their over there. They can keep their crap I don't want it.

Location hidden

#7370 Jan 26, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> Then why are their vehicles in the same price range? Alot of money going to other countries.
C'mon Frank...Prices are dictated by the market and competition...plus, everytime they win awards againest their competitors, they should be raising prices....supply and demand....
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#7371 Jan 26, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> You are right I will never change my mind. I do not beleive in a world market we should do our thing here and they should do their over there. They can keep their crap I don't want it.
Frank, GM sells more cars in foreign countries than they do here. If GM strictly stayed in the U.S. they would cease to exist. We must have international trade.

Location hidden

#7372 Jan 26, 2013
Saw a Hyundai Genesis today....i have noticed it before, as it looks so beautifl, like a baby Bentley.....The Koreans are catching up to the japanese, if they haven't already.....

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#7373 Jan 26, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Saw a Hyundai Genesis today....i have noticed it before, as it looks so beautifl, like a baby Bentley.....The Koreans are catching up to the japanese, if they haven't already.....
Go buy one then,....

Location hidden

#7374 Jan 30, 2013
Announced today, that Toyota has had over a million Corollas and Lexus recalled....airbags and wiper system....wiper problems, same as what Jim often suffers from....
Frank

Marysville, OH

#7375 Feb 3, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Their wages are less because their employees aren't forced to join the unions...that was easy.....
Thats not a very good reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 4 hr kookierecluse 11
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 4 hr kookierecluse 936
Meet The Press 7 hr Go Blue Forever 3
why war with isis? Fri Colonel Sanders 15
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) Fri Colonel Sanders 9
The cheerleaders with their tight skirts are v... Aug 28 Phil 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Aug 28 Buffalo Bull 1,326
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info