Car buyers standing by GM

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

General Motors Corporation stock hit its lowest point in more than 75 years on Friday, falling to just $1.27 per share at one point.

Comments (Page 355)

Showing posts 7,081 - 7,100 of7,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

straa wrote:
Gm have a division in britain and europe called vauxhall, and it is one of the best selling cars in europe and especially in britain, ford are also big sellers in europe, but the other american car companies are rarely seen here, Chevrolet, Buick, cadilacs, etc, they dont seem to sell in Europe and you hardly ever see them, allthoe there are a lot of massive humvees in Britain
Buick is supposed to be one of the big favorites in China....
Ronald

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Buick is supposed to be one of the big favorites in China....
what do you know about China Jason? Anything you get from China is your little blow up dolls that you bounce around the rainbow club with Laurie Anderson bro in your corner little bit I told you that I can't go there because it's brown and black in the girl in the middle to keep you wish.
Mother Mary

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

straa wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about, "miles ahead", the Japanese car industry has taken massive blows recently, from performance, design and mechanical faults, European cars are the worlds best right now, and have been for a long time, Japan has fallen behind
You mean GM=Govt Motors inst #1....oh my!
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Frank wrote:
<quoted text> I have talked to people that worked at other plants and done other research and all they do is take from their workers except for us because we are the only union shop and thats why we have a union. they told their other workers when they took 5% off of their pay and stopped 401k contributions they were looking toward the future. A good way to explain the way this company is, they started in the 80's as a small shop down south and the way they grew was to buy other plants, close the plants and add on to the plant down south. They still do that to this day. The other plants that are still open were bought because they specialize in something others don't and because of their location. There was a plant in our area they bought in the 90's that had about 500 workers and was one of the biggest plants in the industry at the time. As soon as they bought it they locked the gates and told the people working they had to leave because they were closing and the next shift coming in was locked out and told to go home. They had tractor trailers with flat beds lined up over a mile down the road, brought in security guards and the people that were taking machines out killed the power and air, took a sawzall to the air lines and electric lines and took out the machines. This was all done because a customer they got at their plant down south. The local plant had the big machines they needed for their new customer. They really made out they got a new customer, the machines they needed and extra work to go with it. On the other end almost 500 people are out of a job. I hope this helps you understand what the people are like I work for.
Why would you want to work for such a company? The union cannot stop them from doing the same thing to your plant.
Just look at what happened at Hostess.
Management greed vs. Union greed. The union lost. 18,000 people without a job.

“Employed taxpayer”

Since: Nov 08

West Olive

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

straa wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about, "miles ahead", the Japanese car industry has taken massive blows recently, from performance, design and mechanical faults, European cars are the worlds best right now, and have been for a long time, Japan has fallen behind
You need to start smoking better stuff--Consumer Reports top ten list for best reliability is all Japanese owned companies.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011...

While BMW,Audi, and Porsche have made several worst reliability lists

http://autos.ca.msn.com/showroom/consumer-rep...

“Employed taxpayer”

Since: Nov 08

West Olive

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Just got back from vacation and decided to rent Instead of putting a pile of miles on the car I own--a Toyota built Pontiac--we decided to rent.

Had the misfortune of getting a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback with the sync system.

The good--The top line Focus has a pretty good suspension--sporty and compliant with decent cornering.

The bad--in nearly 4k miles the compass never came off East--the cruise and climate controls worked once in a while after multiple reboot attempts. The "sport" trans took forever to shift and there was a constant shudder upon takeoff--and the mileage was about 2 MPG less than I was used to getting with my 4 year old Vibe/Matrix.

Detroit needs to step up their game to be competitive IMHO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

One of our cars that has been outstanding...a Honda Fit Sport, so versitale and fuel efficient....not only from the most innovative of the japanese brands, but built in Japan too....on trip across state and back, at high speed with cruise, it averaged 42mpg on Cevron reg.....

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Gubmint Motors can go to hell.
sickofit

Faribault, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Ninthman wrote:
Gubmint Motors can go to hell.
No TRAITORS like you can go to He**........Support THIS NATION OR GET OUT..
seenitbefore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Burp
Frank

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you want to work for such a company? The union cannot stop them from doing the same thing to your plant.
Just look at what happened at Hostess.
Management greed vs. Union greed. The union lost. 18,000 people without a job.
One good thing we have going for us is we have their biggest customer and they do what that customer tells them to do. Our corporate management admitted many times their other plants can not do the work we do. Their biggest customer does work at 2 of our plants the other plant does the simple jobs and we do the more complex jobs. They have pulled work from that other plant and brought it to ours because they could not do it. The reason I stay is because the pay and benefits are great. One of the best in my area. I will stay there until I retire or they move out. I would hate to see them leave but I am not going to work there for nothing either. There are many other companies I have looked at in the same industry that make alot more money than we do so customers are paying the money its just corporate greed when they try to take from us.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Frank wrote:
<quoted text> One good thing we have going for us is we have their biggest customer and they do what that customer tells them to do. Our corporate management admitted many times their other plants can not do the work we do. Their biggest customer does work at 2 of our plants the other plant does the simple jobs and we do the more complex jobs. They have pulled work from that other plant and brought it to ours because they could not do it. The reason I stay is because the pay and benefits are great. One of the best in my area. I will stay there until I retire or they move out. I would hate to see them leave but I am not going to work there for nothing either. There are many other companies I have looked at in the same industry that make alot more money than we do so customers are paying the money its just corporate greed when they try to take from us.
If one customer has your company in its pocket, I would be very afraid. That's a dangerous situation. One mistake by your company, and the loss of that customer, you are in big trouble. For all the employees, I hope that doesn't happen.
Frank

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
If one customer has your company in its pocket, I would be very afraid. That's a dangerous situation. One mistake by your company, and the loss of that customer, you are in big trouble. For all the employees, I hope that doesn't happen.
I know its dangerous but it has its up side to. We use to have 3 plants that did work for this customer and they closed one a few years ago, our corporate management wanted to move the work to another plant so there would still be 3. This customer, the biggest customer in the corporation said no they wanted their work moved to our plant. The parts we make for this customer need to be of very good quality and none of our plants or many other companies have the technology and know how to do what we do. If they are advanced enough the cost is usually to high. It also took a lot of investment from our previous owners. Just one example. One piece of equipment that goes on our machines to do the parts we do cost around 60 to 70 thousand dollars, when the conventional way this peice of equipment cost around 10 thousand.
justataxpayer

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Frank wrote:
<quoted text> Just remember that the companies that didn't take a bailout have vehicles that cost just as much if not more and pay their workers less. So yeah lets screw the working guy instead of getting management that can run a business. There are many other ways to cut spending instead of eliminating benefits and pensions. Let me guess you are on the management side in what ever it is you do? If your not then maybe you need to join a union. I am in a union and during the recession I got pay raises not pay cuts.
Frank, my son worked for United airlines. He was in the union and got screwed. They allowed the company to plan bankruptcy, all the way down to his pension. 20 years lost and tens of thousands in dues money. I warned him years ago, but he still pursued his career with "union" backing. He is since working at a non-union company and never been happier and controls his own 401k plan.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

justataxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> Frank, my son worked for United airlines. He was in the union and got screwed. They allowed the company to plan bankruptcy, all the way down to his pension. 20 years lost and tens of thousands in dues money. I warned him years ago, but he still pursued his career with "union" backing. He is since working at a non-union company and never been happier and controls his own 401k plan.
You hit the nail on the head. Pensions are disappearing. Many companies have learned the hard way that these legacy costs are too expensive. Individual retirement funds, 401k's, IRA's, etc. where the individual has control, are taking over.
As an example, GM has 200,000 employees and 400,000 retirees. How can paying 3 people to do the work of 1 be profitable?
GM already bought out the pensions of non-union retirees. UAW retirees are next.
Mother Mary

Mazon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

1960brookwood wrote:
Just got back from vacation and decided to rent Instead of putting a pile of miles on the car I own--a Toyota built Pontiac--we decided to rent.
Had the misfortune of getting a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback with the sync system.
The good--The top line Focus has a pretty good suspension--sporty and compliant with decent cornering.
The bad--in nearly 4k miles the compass never came off East--the cruise and climate controls worked once in a while after multiple reboot attempts. The "sport" trans took forever to shift and there was a constant shudder upon takeoff--and the mileage was about 2 MPG less than I was used to getting with my 4 year old Vibe/Matrix.
Detroit needs to step up their game to be competitive IMHO
Detroit is copying the foriegn style....the engineering aspect is stuck in 1972!!!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

...2012 total sales figures, are the best in United States, in the last five years....amazing to me, despite the high fuel costs....
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
...2012 total sales figures, are the best in United States, in the last five years....amazing to me, despite the high fuel costs....
Yes, and the top sellers are gas drinking pickups.
I think part of it could be the "Nothing down EZ payments" of leases. Leases make new cars and trucks attractive and affordable in the short term, but long term it's not a wise financial decision.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and the top sellers are gas drinking pickups.
I think part of it could be the "Nothing down EZ payments" of leases. Leases make new cars and trucks attractive and affordable in the short term, but long term it's not a wise financial decision.
It can be...depends on how you depreciate your vehicles in your tax structure.....Here is one example...You work for a company that give you a $400 vehicle allowance.....you lease a truck for $400, with an attractive buyout at the end(knowing the company has no desire, and you have first option) of the lease.....see, what i am saying?...
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>It can be...depends on how you depreciate your vehicles in your tax structure.....Here is one example...You work for a company that give you a $400 vehicle allowance.....you lease a truck for $400, with an attractive buyout at the end(knowing the company has no desire, and you have first option) of the lease.....see, what i am saying?...
Yes, in that scenario where your employer is making the payments it could work out well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 7,081 - 7,100 of7,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••