Car buyers standing by GM

General Motors Corporation stock hit its lowest point in more than 75 years on Friday, falling to just $1.27 per share at one point. Full Story
Ronald

United States

#7295 Dec 27, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>And people called me a racist on here before, yet they say nothing about your comments.
That's my gay follower. He likes to follow me and use my name to get the rise out of people. He works nights at the Rainbow Club doing dances for the men there. He was fired once because he got a little too friendly with a couple that was there one night. I guess he really makes the men happy there because they kept requesting for him. That kind of forced the Club to hire him back. He means no harm he just needs more consoling. He also needs to move out of his mothers basement.
SOS in Mesa

Phoenix, AZ

#7296 Dec 27, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> We had another conversation on here before and I do believe it was with you. You guys didn't know about the operators union and other skilled unions that members join and are trained at union training centers to perfect their jobs and companies rely on these unions for skilled workers when they are doing jobs in different areas of the country. So alot of people don't fully understand unions they just want to run their mouths about them when they really have no idea. A friend of mine was trained and paid by the operator engineers union and now he can go anywhere in the country and be on a job site the next day.
As you may recall, I'm not a big union fan but the trade unions have excellent apprenticeship programs. They turn out some of the most skilled people.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#7297 Dec 27, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> People also have to remember management negotiates contracts they agree with what they put in there.
But, once a shop or factory has become completely union, do they have any choice?
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#7298 Dec 27, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> We had another conversation on here before and I do believe it was with you. You guys didn't know about the operators union and other skilled unions that members join and are trained at union training centers to perfect their jobs and companies rely on these unions for skilled workers when they are doing jobs in different areas of the country. So alot of people don't fully understand unions they just want to run their mouths about them when they really have no idea. A friend of mine was trained and paid by the operator engineers union and now he can go anywhere in the country and be on a job site the next day.
I agree with you on that point Frank. I'm just saying that a merit pay increase is better than an across the board negotiated pay increase to everyone regardless of their job performance. Employers get more bang for their buck that way and they have more, motivated employees. There is an incentive to do above average work because they know they will be rewarded for it. If everyone gets the same pay raise, there is no incentive for workers to improve. They are satisfied with the status quo. For companies to grow, they can never be satisfied with their short term successes. They must always be looking for ways to improve.
Frank

Saline, MI

#7299 Dec 27, 2012
SOS in Mesa wrote:
<quoted text>
As you may recall, I'm not a big union fan but the trade unions have excellent apprenticeship programs. They turn out some of the most skilled people.
I am glad you understand that but there are many people out there and on here that do not know that and just say all unions are bad.
Frank

Saline, MI

#7300 Dec 27, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>But, once a shop or factory has become completely union, do they have any choice?
Yes they have choices. I have seen some big companies and small companies that told unions if they don't accept what the company wants they will close the doors and move the work to another facility or just close down or sell the company. If a company treats their workers good and with respect they will be willing to give up raises or benefits if the company is really hurting.
Frank

Saline, MI

#7301 Dec 27, 2012
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you on that point Frank. I'm just saying that a merit pay increase is better than an across the board negotiated pay increase to everyone regardless of their job performance. Employers get more bang for their buck that way and they have more, motivated employees. There is an incentive to do above average work because they know they will be rewarded for it. If everyone gets the same pay raise, there is no incentive for workers to improve. They are satisfied with the status quo. For companies to grow, they can never be satisfied with their short term successes. They must always be looking for ways to improve.
I understand what you are saying but I think the company I work for is a good example. The other plants in our company have not got raises for 4 years and the company stopped there contributions to the workers 401k 4 years ago. Out of all the plants in the company our plant has the oldest and most experienced workers because we have something to work for. The other workers don't care because they don't have anything to work for. Another good point is if we didn't have a union we would be working some kind of a 12 hour continuous shift that is definite because our plant president pushes that every negitiation. We work 8 hour days 5 days a week, time and a half saturdays and double time sundays.
Frank

Saline, MI

#7302 Dec 27, 2012
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Another thing is we tried to get some kind of incentive program but they didn't want anything to do with that. The one in place is a joke and it's funny because the only time we get it is when a contract is up. We got a check for that program for the month before we went on strike. Its a joke, we even tried to give it back to them in a negotiation and they didn't want it. That just goes to show how good it is.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#7303 Dec 27, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> I would love to get a pay raise for for the reasons you said but its not always like that. The company I work for has many plants that do the same kind of work but at different levels and our plant does the most difficult jobs and has their biggest customer. The current owners bought the company a few years ago and have done nothing but take from their employees, with the exception of us. We are the only union plant. If it was up to our owners we would be working for $8 an hour not $18 and cut benefits in half. I know they would do that because they done it at ALL their other plants and tried to do it at ours but good thing we had a voice and didn't have to just bend over and take it like the rest of them. It took a 3 month long strike but we won. I would love to find a job that pays close to what I make and get respected and pay based on performance but its not always like that. If there was no union I wouldn't make and have what I have. Sorry to go on for so long but I wanted to try to help you understand my situation.
I Do understand Frank.
I hope you didnt take what I said wrong,.. I did not mean to come off as being "anti-union".
It's been a long time, but I used to work for a unionized company.
But ever since then, I've been fortunate to work for a smaller company, which is kind of nice. If I want to, at any time I can talk to the owner if I want to, and it's much different where I am now. I know how it is at some big companies. I think I'm very lucky, and get to work in an environment like I do.
On a totally different note,......how do you like your new truck?
I'm on the fence right now, I've been looking a little bit at new ones. But mine only has 60K miles on it, and I dont really need a new one, but it's 8 years old, and sometimes, I just think I'd like something different.
I hope you like your new truck, I'm leaning towards just keeping mine for right now (main reason its paid for) which is kinda nice.
But then,..... a new one would be nice too.
The issue I have, is back about three years ago, the local Chevy dealer, and the GMC dealership were closed down, and it's now a 20 mile drive to one of those.
There is a Dodge dealership by me, and the Ford dealership where I bought mine at about 5 miles away, but no Chevy or GMC dealers near by.
Mother Mary

Springfield, MO

#7304 Dec 27, 2012
Understand//////Toyota is worlds ahead of GM=Govt Motors. Nobody believed for a second that the same company that was bailed out with taxpayers money was #1/////Its laughable!!!!!!News sells....not GM autos of course. Detroit news talked about the Space Shuttle Endeavor.They left out the part where thw Toyota Tundra pulled it .....the rest of the world told the whole story....not Derot!Toyota Envy Lives!!!!!!!!!!
Ronald

United States

#7305 Dec 27, 2012
Gville Jim wrote:
<quoted text>I Do understand Frank.
I hope you didnt take what I said wrong,.. I did not mean to come off as being "anti-union".
But ever since then, I've been fortunate to work for a smaller company, which is kind of nice. If I want to, at any time I can talk to the owner if I want to, and it's much different where I am now. I know how it is at some big companies. I think I'm very lucky, and get to work in an environment like I do.
I'm on the fence right now, I've been looking a little bit at new ones. But mine only has 60K miles on it, and I dont really need a new one, but it's 8 years old, and sometimes, I just think I'd like something different.
I hope you like your new truck, I'm leaning towards just keeping mine for right now (main reason its paid for) which is kinda nice.
The issue I have, is back about three years ago, the local Chevy dealer, and the GMC dealership were closed down, and it's now a 20 mile drive to one of those.
There is a Dodge dealership by me, and the Ford dealership where I bought mine at about 5 miles away, but no Chevy or GMC dealers near by.
so it looks like Frank and Jim have been doing pole dancers at the rainbow club. Both of you show your ignorance everytime you post. You guys are there to the biggest push back to sender or at least at the nothing else you were both a couple of real sure if you're down with pizza and I said that because that because of American car is always going to be better that you played great day after day and with slanted eyes and order your skin to touch with your interview rice.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#7306 Dec 28, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> Another thing is we tried to get some kind of incentive program but they didn't want anything to do with that. The one in place is a joke and it's funny because the only time we get it is when a contract is up. We got a check for that program for the month before we went on strike. Its a joke, we even tried to give it back to them in a negotiation and they didn't want it. That just goes to show how good it is.
If that's the case, then the company is not a forward thinking company.
Frank

Clarksville, MI

#7307 Dec 28, 2012
Gville Jim wrote:
<quoted text>I Do understand Frank.
I love my new truck. I was in the same situation but mine had 150,000 miles I couldn't pass up the deal. Old truck still ran great though. I love having a new truck but I do miss the old one.
Jason the pole dancer

United States

#7308 Dec 28, 2012
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>I love my new truck. I was in the same situation but mine had 150,000 miles I couldn't pass up the deal. Old truck still ran great though. I love having a new truck but I do miss the old one.
I got my new toy I love my new toy It's big and black It's a nice toy with spots turd burglars on pizza in the back door with screws on the cars short weewee in the air on the fish last night when the rainbow club Saturday morning slept poverty in Obama back end angry black lady big butt! Lol! In the door second constitutions suck fruit with what angle black nefarious negro poor rainbows and elephants

Location hidden

#7309 Dec 28, 2012
Mother Mary wrote:
Understand//////Toyota is worlds ahead of GM=Govt Motors. Nobody believed for a second that the same company that was bailed out with taxpayers money was #1/////Its laughable!!!!!!News sells....not GM autos of course. Detroit news talked about the Space Shuttle Endeavor.They left out the part where thw Toyota Tundra pulled it .....the rest of the world told the whole story....not Derot!Toyota Envy Lives!!!!!!!!!!
You do know, the ranking in this regard, is totally subject to sales numbers? It isn't about quality or innovation or fuel mileage....it isn't even about government subsidy, and by the way, the japanese have helped out their own corporations as well.....That is why it is a positive corporate step, when GM builds a plant in China or Toyota builds a truck plant in Thailand or California....It isn't necessarily about who is ahead of who....if it was, Mercedes Benz would likely be number one.....
Frank

Clarksville, MI

#7310 Dec 28, 2012
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's the case, then the company is not a forward thinking company.
I have talked to people that worked at other plants and done other research and all they do is take from their workers except for us because we are the only union shop and thats why we have a union. they told their other workers when they took 5% off of their pay and stopped 401k contributions they were looking toward the future. A good way to explain the way this company is, they started in the 80's as a small shop down south and the way they grew was to buy other plants, close the plants and add on to the plant down south. They still do that to this day. The other plants that are still open were bought because they specialize in something others don't and because of their location. There was a plant in our area they bought in the 90's that had about 500 workers and was one of the biggest plants in the industry at the time. As soon as they bought it they locked the gates and told the people working they had to leave because they were closing and the next shift coming in was locked out and told to go home. They had tractor trailers with flat beds lined up over a mile down the road, brought in security guards and the people that were taking machines out killed the power and air, took a sawzall to the air lines and electric lines and took out the machines. This was all done because a customer they got at their plant down south. The local plant had the big machines they needed for their new customer. They really made out they got a new customer, the machines they needed and extra work to go with it. On the other end almost 500 people are out of a job. I hope this helps you understand what the people are like I work for.
straa

London, UK

#7311 Dec 28, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Meanwhile, seem's Toyota has taken back Number #1 status....overcoming their earthquake, tsunami and the sudden acceleration lawsuits....What can you say, they have a great lineup....
When ever I see a war torn nation on the news, there's always a bunch of militia, with AK47s, sitting in the back of a Toyota pick up truck, I think its the universal vehicle choice for insurgent guerrillas LOL
straa

London, UK

#7312 Dec 28, 2012
Mother Mary wrote:
What are you talking about, "miles ahead", the Japanese car industry has taken massive blows recently, from performance, design and mechanical faults, European cars are the worlds best right now, and have been for a long time, Japan has fallen behind
straa

London, UK

#7313 Dec 28, 2012
Gm have a division in britain and europe called vauxhall, and it is one of the best selling cars in europe and especially in britain, ford are also big sellers in europe, but the other american car companies are rarely seen here, Chevrolet, Buick, cadilacs, etc, they dont seem to sell in Europe and you hardly ever see them, allthoe there are a lot of massive humvees in Britain

Location hidden

#7314 Dec 28, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
When ever I see a war torn nation on the news, there's always a bunch of militia, with AK47s, sitting in the back of a Toyota pick up truck, I think its the universal vehicle choice for insurgent guerrillas LOL
Good on gas and takes a 50cal. like a man.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 2 hr Casual Analysis 2,330
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 3 hr Go Blue Forever 1,424
The cold, hard facts about seven winter driving... 10 hr John 1
bryan cranston, samuel l. jackson narrates f--... 14 hr bobolinq 1
Lets Chat (Mar '08) Thu Just Sayin 40,165
Did Catholic Central tutor rape student, or vic... Thu Just Sayin 5
Obama is a War Hawk Thu Oneal 2
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance