Newaygo deputy faces sex charge for 2...

Newaygo deputy faces sex charge for 2002 incident

There are 244 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 31, 2008, titled Newaygo deputy faces sex charge for 2002 incident. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A deputy sheriff with the Newaygo County Sheriff's Department was arrested and arraigned on a criminal sexual conduct charge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Mark

Manistee, MI

#125 Aug 1, 2008
Robert Dakin is INNOCENT!!!! YOU PEOPLE ARE QUICK TO BASH POLICE OFFICERS ON A MOMENTS NOTICE, I UNDERSTAND THAT AN OFFICER AT SOME POINT ARRESTED YOUR LOVED ONE AND YOU ARE STILL BITTER OVER IT.
Mark

Manistee, MI

#127 Aug 1, 2008
I know Bob Dakin personally, he spent hundereds of hours investigating the Amanda Lankey case. I have worked with him on several cases and I believe from my personal knowledge of Dakin that he is innocent. The people posting most of these accusing and uneducated comments are those who have never served in a law enforcement uniform or probobly not even a military uniform. Dakin is a decorated police officer and Marine. The warrant and the arrest is just part of the process that goes with anyone who is accused of CSC 3rd degree.
Reality in the Newaygo

AOL

#128 Aug 1, 2008
Unless you live in Newaygo County and have had to deal with the courts and the police here, you could not understand how twisted the system is. It really is about who you know, and if you don't know the right people you are screwed. If you get into any trouble in Newaygo County be sure to hire a lawyer from a big city to defend you. The lawyers, police and judges are all about the good ole boy system and you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. In my opinion if they have gone so far to press charges on Dakin then there must really be some serious evidence that he did something inappropriate. I have seen it over and over up here, if your the right person or know the right person you can get away with just about anything.
IM JUST SAYIN

Holland, MI

#129 Aug 2, 2008
Everyone of you needs to get the FACTS straight BEFORE you start spouting off about things you know absolutely NOTHING about.
I know the family, and he did not do what they are accusing him of, the people who are doing this to him are the criminals!

Since: Jun 08

Salt Lake City, UT

#130 Aug 2, 2008
IM JUST SAYIN wrote:
Everyone of you needs to get the FACTS straight BEFORE you start spouting off about things you know absolutely NOTHING about.
I know the family, and he did not do what they are accusing him of, the people who are doing this to him are the criminals!
I don't see you screaming about FACTS on any of the other stories like this when the suspect isn't a police officer. You don't care about thier families? If it was just somebody trying to get revenge for something the officer did, it wouldn't have gotten to court and the press.
Vote for Justice

Mattoon, IL

#131 Aug 2, 2008
Something seems fishy. I wonder who's toes Bob Dakin stepped on to deserve this.
Corruption Control

East Syracuse, NY

#132 Aug 2, 2008
What sucks is that if this guy is found guilty he will get special treatment and sent to a corrections institute specifically made for crooked cops. He will never be placed into general population so they can beat the h e l l out of him.
Corruption Control

East Syracuse, NY

#133 Aug 2, 2008
Mark wrote:
I know Bob Dakin personally, he spent hundereds of hours investigating the Amanda Lankey case. I have worked with him on several cases and I believe from my personal knowledge of Dakin that he is innocent. The people posting most of these accusing and uneducated comments are those who have never served in a law enforcement uniform or probobly not even a military uniform. Dakin is a decorated police officer and Marine. The warrant and the arrest is just part of the process that goes with anyone who is accused of CSC 3rd degree.
All your proving with your rant is that your kind cover up for each other's criminal behavior! The amount of time it took to have the issue addressed shows the stonewalling that took place within the department. Seriously if the victim waited 6 years to come forward, the prosecutor most likely would not have pursued the case.

Salt Lake City, UT

#134 Aug 2, 2008
Mark wrote:
Robert Dakin is INNOCENT!!!! YOU PEOPLE ARE QUICK TO BASH POLICE OFFICERS ON A MOMENTS NOTICE, I UNDERSTAND THAT AN OFFICER AT SOME POINT ARRESTED YOUR LOVED ONE AND YOU ARE STILL BITTER OVER IT.
ummmmm, no. It's pretty much because we see officers breaking the law way too often, and I bet we hear of less then 1% of what actually occurs. Getting a punch in here, when a suspect is handcuffed, taking some money there, after an arrest. Stop doing stuff like that and respect would return for the police. Right now it's pretty low, you must have noticed.
Mark

Manistee, MI

#135 Aug 2, 2008
Lakeshore wrote:
<quoted text>
ummmmm, no. It's pretty much because we see officers breaking the law way too often, and I bet we hear of less then 1% of what actually occurs. Getting a punch in here, when a suspect is handcuffed, taking some money there, after an arrest. Stop doing stuff like that and respect would return for the police. Right now it's pretty low, you must have noticed.
Right now actually its comical, your accusing every cop of being so called crooked. If you were the uniform then you would understand. But since you made this uneducated comment about crooked cops, maybe a little research shows that the media mostly portrays the negative things cops do. You hardly ever hear of the cop who saved the childs life after getting hit by a car or the cop who arrests a drug dealer in a drug free school zone. Before making these kinda of statements go back to school and get an education so that way you may appear smarter then your comments.
EYES WIDE SHUT

Grand Rapids, MI

#136 Aug 2, 2008
If the truth is known its been along time coming. Mark you probably don't know him as well as you think. Talk to some of the other officers in the department ask them how they feel about this great guy.(not) He was just demoted 2 weeks ago for other reasons. Could there be others?? Justice will be served.

Salt Lake City, UT

#137 Aug 2, 2008
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Right now actually its comical, your accusing every cop of being so called crooked. If you were the uniform then you would understand. But since you made this uneducated comment about crooked cops, maybe a little research shows that the media mostly portrays the negative things cops do. You hardly ever hear of the cop who saved the childs life after getting hit by a car or the cop who arrests a drug dealer in a drug free school zone. Before making these kinda of statements go back to school and get an education so that way you may appear smarter then your comments.
I have a Masters Degree. If you had one you would have realized I wasn't saying all the cops are bad, just that they are not highly regarded in the public eye. Pretty much because of attitudes like yours. You really changed my perception. Here you are accusing me of saying something I didn't and throwing out "drugs in school zones" and such instead of trying to figure out what would improve your public relations. Unless you think their isn't a problem, and police are regarded just fine, but why then are they always in the news for this kind of stuff? I don't see that many bus drivers in the news for murder and sexual assault, it appears that the police have a higher per capita crime rate then most professions. A study should be done.

Since: Jul 08

Broomfield, CO

#138 Aug 2, 2008
Lakeshore wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a Masters Degree. If you had one you would have realized I wasn't saying all the cops are bad, just that they are not highly regarded in the public eye. Pretty much because of attitudes like yours. You really changed my perception. Here you are accusing me of saying something I didn't and throwing out "drugs in school zones" and such instead of trying to figure out what would improve your public relations. Unless you think their isn't a problem, and police are regarded just fine, but why then are they always in the news for this kind of stuff? I don't see that many bus drivers in the news for murder and sexual assault, it appears that the police have a higher per capita crime rate then most professions. A study should be done.
Is it that they have a "higher per capita crime rate" or is it that they are the ones who get the most media coverage when they do something wrong? I would vote for the latter. Sadly, it looks like you're just another cop hater who is eating this up. Did it ever occur to you, for one fleeting moment, that they were false allegations (yes, it happens all too often)? Did it ever occur to you that comments like this hurt Dakin's family members? Did it ever occur to you that there are twisted politics involved? Perhaps if you did a little of your own research with your big shot master's degree you would find that the prosecutor has had a personal vendetta against Dakin for years; and that Sheriff Mercer demoted Dakin and then gave his job to none other than his own son. And consider the fact that Mercer said he only heard of the allegations on Tuesday; yet he had enough time to do his "thorough" investigation and then turn it over to the state police to do their investigating. But Dakin was arrested only 24 hours later. Fishy? I thought so too. Chew on that for a while.
Something is fishy

Troy, MI

#139 Aug 2, 2008
The Sheriff didn't give Dakins job to his son.
I think if all comes out about this there will be a lot of enlighten people, but to tell you the truth I don't think we will ever know what has happened.
Scandalous

Grand Rapids, MI

#140 Aug 2, 2008
Lakeshore wrote:
<quoted text>
For someone with a Master's degree, you would think that you would know the difference between "their" and "there" and know what a run-on is... Anyway, I agree with "get-the-facts" - it all sounds pretty fishy to me too.
WHAt

Pittsburgh, PA

#142 Aug 2, 2008
Lakeshore wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see you screaming about FACTS on any of the other stories like this when the suspect isn't a police officer. You don't care about thier families? If it was just somebody trying to get revenge for something the officer did, it wouldn't have gotten to court and the press.
You are stupid. Press? Is that what it's called? The media is the most ignorant of all.

Since: Jul 08

Riverside, CA

#143 Aug 3, 2008
QUOTE who="Mark"]<quote d text>If you were in the uniform you would understand that we police officers are taught to back each other up (no matter what)so therefore this guy is innocent!! Give us a break !! the fact that this cop was charged at all tells the public that significant and very probable evidence exists to persue the case! We the people aren't accusing all cops of being wrong doers but I think that we can safely assume that most cops back each others stories even when they know their partner has done something wrong!Also the public is sick of the egotistical police officers that coerce people and use scare tacticts and just plain like to intimidate the public!I was under the understanding that our police force was obligated to protect and serve not acting like their above the publics level!To tell the truth I'm tired of seeing the public being harrassed by these egotistical type police officers that supposively are working for us!(the taxpaying citizens)I was so pissed off when on the 4th of july I saw 2 newaygo co boat patrols out harrassing the citizens on their watercraft at croton during the celebration of this country's independance day! I mean If they would have been called because of a problem then I could understand their presence but to patrol for no reason like we were in a war zone was particularly upsetting!
Dawn

Granbury, TX

#144 Aug 3, 2008
I live in Newaygo County (don't tell anyone)and this story does not shock me at all. I'm sure he is guilty of the crime, but the woman was threatened in some way back in 2002 and just now found the confidence to tell of her experience. It happens in this county all of the time. Things get brushed under the carpet and people are threatened all the time by officials. There was a 13 year old girl murdered 4 years ago and no one knows anything. In a community of approximately 1,500 people someone knows something, but for some reason are not talking.
Hell back in the early 80's we had a sheriff embezzling government distributions of peanut butter to the jail! Why would this scandal be unbelievable or any different?
Dawn

Granbury, TX

#145 Aug 3, 2008
Reality in the Newaygo wrote:
Unless you live in Newaygo County and have had to deal with the courts and the police here, you could not understand how twisted the system is. It really is about who you know, and if you don't know the right people you are screwed. If you get into any trouble in Newaygo County be sure to hire a lawyer from a big city to defend you. The lawyers, police and judges are all about the good ole boy system and you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. In my opinion if they have gone so far to press charges on Dakin then there must really be some serious evidence that he did something inappropriate. I have seen it over and over up here, if your the right person or know the right person you can get away with just about anything.
I could not have said it better about Newaygo County. The only thing that expands in White Cloud (the county seat) are the court buildings and the corruption. As far as Mr Dakin working on Amanda Lankeys murder....makes you wonder WHY he has found nothing about it to make an arrest. Makes one think seriously about the possibility doesn't it?
Whatever

Rockford, MI

#146 Aug 3, 2008
Dawn wrote:
I live in Newaygo County (don't tell anyone)and this story does not shock me at all. I'm sure he is guilty of the crime, but the woman was threatened in some way back in 2002 and just now found the confidence to tell of her experience. It happens in this county all of the time. Things get brushed under the carpet and people are threatened all the time by officials. There was a 13 year old girl murdered 4 years ago and no one knows anything. In a community of approximately 1,500 people someone knows something, but for some reason are not talking.
Hell back in the early 80's we had a sheriff embezzling government distributions of peanut butter to the jail! Why would this scandal be unbelievable or any different?
Good lord peanut butter?? Say it ain't so!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 15 hr Knapp 2,723
East Grand Rapids Mugshots and Criminal Arrest ... Wed Alexander 1
Crooked Hillary's Tax Return Challenge To Donald Sep 26 RushFan666 49
Does anyone know why the Chez Ami Bowling alley... (Sep '14) Sep 24 Jody 3
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Sep 24 Not ghetto at all 43
News The BUZZ: SSI has 'Bullish' Outlook for RV Sector Sep 24 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 5
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Sep 23 Pandaluv63 1,109

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages