1 - 20 of 188 Comments Last updated May 10, 2014
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#2 Mar 2, 2008
worried wrote:
This letter is to inform all that SERVPROŽ of Holland/W. Ottawa County Owned and Operated by Randy Mulder, has and still employs a convicted felon. The SERVPRO employee Shawn Kirt Dine has a felony charge of larceny in a building with a guilty plea. In the Michigan 20th circuit court this is not acceptable since SERVPRO is a company hired to perform work inside residential and commercial buildings where personal and business items are at risk of theft.
so??

“Aut viam inveniam aut faciam ”

Since: Feb 08

Muskegon

#3 Mar 3, 2008
concerned,

this might be the one time you and I can agree on something.

I am sooo tired of people using the past against them to the point many who have made mistakes cannot move forward past it. why are we keeping criminals, especially seemingly "petty" ones liek this guy who works at SERVPRO down?

our society is not interested in rehabilitation, forgiveness and redemption. all people want to see are criminals of all types locked up forever, with no hope of being anything other than a fry cook, if that.

it would be ONE thing if the rationale were a valid one, but i submit past behavior is not always indicative of present OR future behavior.

some people make mistakes and actually do learn from them. does society help them? no. It just lumps them in with the REST of the ne'er do-wells. in fact, it will do whatever it can within its considerable power to marginalize AND ostracize someone who has broken the law; permanently.

i am not saying a rapist should work in a clinic nor a pedophile with kids. i am not saying a bank robber should work in a bank or a murderer should be a doctor. but our laws do not discriminate between being a felon for MURDER and a felon for larceny in a building. i think that people could agree that there is a lot of difference between the two, but in our system, a felon is a felon. as far as background checks for employment go, felony check kiting is the same as armed robbery. and i do nothtink that is quite fair.

what I am saying is our society should start letting people get free, automatically, from some things in their past, especially when they have completed their sentence and kept their nose clean.

in fact, i think that after 7-10 years AND except for certain enumerated crimes, a person's criminal history should only be made available to law enforcement, not John Q. Public.

this person who posted above yours does not say when the man pled out to the crime or what the man MAY have done with his life since then. Is he rehabilitated? happy? is he a threat? what?

Instead that person engages in the worst kind of character assassination, sniping from behind a bush without seemingly ANY thought to the impact their words may have upon this person's ability to provide for himslef and/or his family. Shameful!

is it any more or less relevant if the man did the crime 2 years ago OR 10 years ago? did the man pay his debt to society??

what does the poster expect the man to do? crawl under a rock and DIE because he stole something?

you know, for a nation that imprisons 1 in 9 black men, and 1 in 19 of its citizens in total, one would think that the society that put them there would be a bit more conciliatory toward such a large goup of people. someday, the "criminals" may outnumber us. i do nothave to wonder what will happen if we keep disenfranchising them and keep our boots upon their necks.

Muskegon

#4 Mar 3, 2008
I checked the MDOC's OTIS...

No person with that name is registered there
Call it like I see it

Ionia, MI

#5 Mar 3, 2008
TheKaisho42 wrote:
I checked the MDOC's OTIS...
No person with that name is registered there
You spend too much time on the internet.

Muskegon

#6 Mar 3, 2008
what does that have to do with anything?

ahhh, the life of the independently wealthy....

so good....

LMAO
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Mar 3, 2008
TheKaisho42 wrote:
concerned,
I am sooo tired of people using the past against them to the point many who have made mistakes cannot move forward past it. why are we keeping criminals, especially seemingly "petty" ones liek this guy who works at SERVPRO down?
our society is not interested in rehabilitation, forgiveness and redemption. all people want to see are criminals of all types locked up forever, with no hope of being anything other than a fry cook, if that.
it would be ONE thing if the rationale were a valid one, but i submit past behavior is not always indicative of present OR future behavior.
some people make mistakes and actually do learn from them. does society help them? no. It just lumps them in with the REST of the ne'er do-wells. in fact, it will do whatever it can within its considerable power to marginalize AND ostracize someone who has broken the law; permanently.
i am not saying a rapist should work in a clinic nor a pedophile with kids. i am not saying a bank robber should work in a bank or a murderer should be a doctor. but our laws do not discriminate between being a felon for MURDER and a felon for larceny in a building. i think that people could agree that there is a lot of difference between the two, but in our system, a felon is a felon. as far as background checks for employment go, felony check kiting is the same as armed robbery. and i do nothtink that is quite fair.
what I am saying is our society should start letting people get free, automatically, from some things in their past, especially when they have completed their sentence and kept their nose clean.
in fact, i think that after 7-10 years AND except for certain enumerated crimes, a person's criminal history should only be made available to law enforcement, not John Q. Public.
this person who posted above yours does not say when the man pled out to the crime or what the man MAY have done with his life since then. Is he rehabilitated? happy? is he a threat? what?
Instead that person engages in the worst kind of character assassination, sniping from behind a bush without seemingly ANY thought to the impact their words may have upon this person's ability to provide for himslef and/or his family. Shameful!
is it any more or less relevant if the man did the crime 2 years ago OR 10 years ago? did the man pay his debt to society??
what does the poster expect the man to do? crawl under a rock and DIE because he stole something?
you know, for a nation that imprisons 1 in 9 black men, and 1 in 19 of its citizens in total, one would think that the society that put them there would be a bit more conciliatory toward such a large goup of people. someday, the "criminals" may outnumber us. i do nothave to wonder what will happen if we keep disenfranchising them and keep our boots upon their necks.
100% accurate...again...and I do believe that after 7 years a person can petition the Court to have a felony "removed" [forgive me, I can't think of the proper legal term at the moment] from their record
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Mar 3, 2008
worried wrote:
This letter is to inform all that SERVPROŽ of Holland/W. Ottawa County Owned and Operated by Randy Mulder, has and still employs a convicted felon. The SERVPRO employee Shawn Kirt Dine has a felony charge of larceny in a building with a guilty plea. In the Michigan 20th circuit court this is not acceptable since SERVPRO is a company hired to perform work inside residential and commercial buildings where personal and business items are at risk of theft.
I hope you're "worried" about Shawn Kirt Dine filing a defamation of character lawsuit against you, not to mention a lawsuit from Randy Mulder...you must be a "former employee" of SERVPRO??? probably a terminated employee??? its not that difficult to find out who people are on these forums
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Mar 3, 2008
ah-ha:
Each jurisdiction whose law allows expungement has its own definitions of expungement proceedings. Generally, expungement is the process to "remove from general review" the records pertaining to a case. In many jurisdictions, however, the records may not completely "disappear" and may still be available to law enforcement.
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Mar 3, 2008
An application for expungement of a criminal conviction may not be filed until five years after imposition of the sentence, or until five years after completion of any term of imprisonment, whichever occurs later.
MCL 780.621(3)
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Mar 3, 2008
And as it should be:
(2) A person shall not apply to have set aside, and a judge shall not set aside, a conviction for a felony for which the maximum punishment is life imprisonment or an attempt to commit a felony for which the maximum punishment is life imprisonment, a conviction for a violation or attempted violation of section 520c, 520d, or 520g of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.520c, 750.520d, and 750.520g, or a conviction for a traffic offense.
If you want more information, you'll have to get it...unfortunately, I am not independently wealthy!!!
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#12 Mar 3, 2008
TheKaisho42 wrote:
concerned,
yeah i know i get tired of see or hearing this , the only reason it might be a good thing to let people know is like my one friend over by south haven , in her apartment building , she had a guy move in across the hall , and he is on the otis website , he had just been released from prision again and has numerous cases against him,involiving things from theft,aggrivated assult,and numerous counts of csc,(which is why he was in the last time).now this guy does need to be warned about and not to protect peoples property,but so the women can protect themselves and there children from a habitual sexual preditor.atleast if they know they can stay away from him . would you agree to this senrio of why local people should know.

and i dont know if you missed the other post,but i thought we agreed on the ex's ..lol
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Mar 3, 2008
A concerned person wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah i know i get tired of see or hearing this , the only reason it might be a good thing to let people know is like my one friend over by south haven , in her apartment building , she had a guy move in across the hall , and he is on the otis website , he had just been released from prision again and has numerous cases against him,involiving things from theft,aggrivated assult,and numerous counts of csc,(which is why he was in the last time).now this guy does need to be warned about and not to protect peoples property,but so the women can protect themselves and there children from a habitual sexual preditor.atleast if they know they can stay away from him . would you agree to this senrio of why local people should know.
and i dont know if you missed the other post,but i thought we agreed on the ex's ..lol
criminals are among us everywhere and unfortunately they don't wear signs stating that they are criminals; as far as the csc, MI sex offender list which every parent of young children should check on a regular basis
4 Justice

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Mar 3, 2008
I figured the person that posted this topic was an angry former employee. They also posted on Craigslist (now gone), yesterday morning.
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Mar 3, 2008
4 Justice wrote:
I figured the person that posted this topic was an angry former employee. They also posted on Craigslist (now gone), yesterday morning.
Gone after the "lawsuit" announcement, that it isn't that difficult to find out who people are on these things....PROBABLY
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#16 Mar 3, 2008
rval-GrandRapidsMI wrote:
<quoted text>
criminals are among us everywhere and unfortunately they don't wear signs stating that they are criminals; as far as the csc, MI sex offender list which every parent of young children should check on a regular basis
yeah i know thats true they are, but it still doesnt mean but it still doesnt mean that they should post something like that ...i had a guy once who found my wallet which i layed down and forgot, it had about 400.00 in it ..it wasnt hard to figure out who took it anyhow,it was about christmas time and he was struggling to provide for his wife and kids and actually took the money to buy food and diapers for his kids ...was what he did wrong .. yes but i wouldnt consider him a criminal ,infact i asked that charges werent presses against him and i also asked that he not lose his job,which he did anyways . i felt bad for him. but when it comes to csc i dont feel bad for them and most people dont know those list exist or where to find them and it doesnt mean there accurate either and if someone like them is found out about should be made public , would you want a child molestor working with your kids ? i am sure he wouldnt be saying he was one if they didnt check .thats what i am saying if you find out there is one of them to let people know .
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#18 Mar 3, 2008
4 Justice wrote:
yeah could be ,hard to say
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Mar 3, 2008
A concerned person wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah i know thats true they are, but it still doesnt mean but it still doesnt mean that they should post something like that ...i had a guy once who found my wallet which i layed down and forgot, it had about 400.00 in it ..it wasnt hard to figure out who took it anyhow,it was about christmas time and he was struggling to provide for his wife and kids and actually took the money to buy food and diapers for his kids ...was what he did wrong .. yes but i wouldnt consider him a criminal ,infact i asked that charges werent presses against him and i also asked that he not lose his job,which he did anyways . i felt bad for him. but when it comes to csc i dont feel bad for them and most people dont know those list exist or where to find them and it doesnt mean there accurate either and if someone like them is found out about should be made public , would you want a child molestor working with your kids ? i am sure he wouldnt be saying he was one if they didnt check .thats what i am saying if you find out there is one of them to let people know .
I never said something like that should be posted; there is a HUGE difference between the theft of a candy bar or a 'mistake' of that nature in which "trust is based on behavior over time" and a child molestor [in my opinion, there should be a "one-strike"/death penalty law for child molestation, rape, murder...] and of course I wouldn't want a child molestor working with my kids
rval-GrandRapids MI

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Mar 3, 2008
4 Justice wrote:
"concerned " wrote:
"yeah could be ,hard to say"
-Could be an angry ex of some kind too

Muskegon

#21 Mar 3, 2008
Since the rate of recidivism is so HIGH in CSC cases, I agree it is a good idea to be able to check them out...but larceny in a building?

Come on!

How many years will that hang over his head?

Forever.

BTW, in order to reduce prison costs, the Governor wants to make several crimes that are currently felonies into misdemeanors.

Larceny is among them.

If that happens, we will have a whole bunch of people that were found guilty of a felony unable to get a job because they are felons competing with a bunch of new people that are not felons for what is, statutorily speaking, the same crime.

The only difference being political timing AND the classification of the crime.

Few people understand exacly how many jobs are permanently barred or extremely difficult to get for felons.

Misdemeanents have very little bars to full employment.

Muskegon

#22 Mar 3, 2008
By the way, one can only petition the court ofr expungement if that person has never been convicted of any other crime.

For instance, if you pled guilty to a misdemeanor and were fined >$99.99 (when you were 20 years old say, for disordely conduct) If you get convicted of another crime when you are 45, YOU cannot apply for an expungement. You cannot even apply for an expungement of the earlier crime.

It has nothing to do with the type or severity of the crimes involved nor does it have anything to do with how much time passed between them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why war with isis? 27 min Phil 16
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 30 min Phil 18
Woman, 36, held without bond after fatal stabbi... 54 min Batch 37 Pain Is ... 1
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 117
President O'Blama' Punts Again 2 hr Rob 4
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) 3 hr just the tip 303
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 8 hr Buffalo Bull 1,331
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search