Super Saver - Online Grocery Savings

Super Saver - Online Grocery Savings

There are 126 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 8, 2008, titled Super Saver - Online Grocery Savings. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

With the cost of nearly everything going up these days, Americans are looking for new ways to make ends meet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Hoping to see some good news”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#1 May 8, 2008
I have been a member of thegrocerygame for 2 years now. I love it - anyone who doesn't clip coupons and match sales is throwing their money away!
Jessica

Holland, MI

#2 May 8, 2008
SavingsAngel has been a HUGE blessing for my family and I! It is SO easy to use and we essentially now have a $200 a month raise! I made back my first month's fee in one trip to the store.

I've used both and I like SavingsAngel better. It's a local company and it is a little easier to use. Plus - they have a lot more local stores and LOTS of West Michigan members. They seem to add new features all the time - which is nice too. I refered a couple people and pay only $10/mo now - which is less expensive than the other - especially when you consider that I have access to SIX stores. Two more - and my membership is free for life.

Either way - shopping without this service is a big waste of money!

Location hidden

#3 May 8, 2008
I tried savings angel and hated it. You do what works for you, I do what works for me. I recommend trying both during their free trials and deciding what one you like the best. With gas the price that it is I only shop at 2 stores now, Meijer and a pharmacy. I switch between walgreens and rite-aid right now to see which one saves me the most. Some people have had great success with savings angel and that is great for them. I have had great success with the grocery game and it is the perfect fit for me.

Whenever I know that I am going to be out of town for an extended time I can reset my zip code to work in the town I will be staying in, nationwide. Now THAT comes in handy. When we went on our honeymoon in Arizona I could shop at their local store and save a TON on food to cut our out to eat budgets a bit.

Bottom line, one is better for some people, while the other is better for others. Let's not put down anyones way to save money. I just bought a mini-van with my grocery savings. HOORAY!

Location hidden

#4 May 8, 2008
the starred out words are t.own sorry forgot that was a bad word on topix lol.

Location hidden

#5 May 8, 2008
Also I pay $15 for 8 weeks, or $7.50 a month. I could add a 3rd store and pay $20 for 8 weeks, but I like just having 2 stops on my shopping trips.

But hooray whichever one you choose - either one is a smart financial move!
Common Sense Mom

West Olive, MI

#6 May 8, 2008
You failed to mention www.couponmom.com It's TOTALLY FREE! They have a nationwide newspaper coupon database, and tell you the best deals at Meijer too. I tried Savings Angel and hated it at $20 a month, and then you have to try and sucker your friends and family into a pyramid scheme that is making some guy named Josh a millionare!!! And the TV and Radio stations are in on it with him, as he is paying big advertising dollars HMMMM!!!!! Use your brains - common sense!!!!
concerned

Hamilton, MI

#7 May 8, 2008
how can you join without a credit card? I don't own a credit card, only a checking account (no debit card either).
Maybe I'm living in the olden days,but I just don't like those cards.
Any suggestions?
you misunderstood

United States

#8 May 8, 2008
I have to say that I think you misunderstood the gal's intentions before this comment you made below. I don't think she at all meant to put anyone elses's way of savings down . She mearly just stated that she liked one over the other better, but you said you "hated" one over the other , that is a put down right there. You note sounds very brash compared to the other one. It can be misunderstood as a turn off for grocery game in the long run. Just an observation that you were being a bit overly abrassive over one persons personal statement. Hate is a much stronger word than liking one over the other.From one grocery gamer to the other .
Ann from Michigan wrote:
I tried savings angel and hated it."
"Bottom line, one is better for some people, while the other is better for others. Let's not put down anyones way to save money. I just bought a mini-van with my grocery savings. HOORAY!"
Carla Stevens

United States

#9 May 8, 2008
I was so excited to see Savings Angel on the news tonight! WZZM has been advertising Savings Angel on their front news page online for months and months now. It is awesome to see them to a segment on it. I have been a happy satisfied member of SA since November and have been seeing over 50% or more come off my grocery bill ever since I started. That money has been a nice break in our budget to use for other bills we need it for. The past two months I have had some incredible savings of 70% at a minimum! It is worth the initial investment and if you like it and tell others and they join up , SA pays you for sharing your blessing with them. I no longer pay any fee and I make $110.00 on top of that just for doing what I always did and everyone else does , shop for food! Even if they didn't give me money for telling others , I would still do it for $20.00 a month. Do you realize how much money you save each moonth using SA? I easliy save $250.00 or more!$20.00 is a drop in the hat compared to not paying an extra $200.00 in food bills a month! Most people now days are looking for ways to save since all our money goes into our gas tanks. Why cut your menue down when you can be eating just fine and just cut your spending by getting everything you needed anyway. Great job ladies for representing SA. How about all that .17 pasta last week and the .25 silk soy milk this week? Gotta love that! I say anyway you can save is awesome, this is just one oppertunity to do more than just save! Again BRAVO!
Julie

Broomfield, CO

#10 May 8, 2008
Thank you for doing a segment on Savings Angel! I've been a member since October, 2007 and have absolutely loved it. Not only am I saving amazing amounts of money at Meijers, Family Fare, Rite Aid, Walgreens, and Plumbs, but I've been able to donate to our local food pantry like I've always wanted to and not feel like it's all I've got. With today's economy, food pantry's have been in such need. I also have been able to help others in the store save money too. What's different about being a part of this group of wonderful people is that they help each other out in finding good deals. Everyone shares and since it's local, there are many eyes in the store finding deals that you might not know about otherwise. I highly recommend it and if you want to sign up for a free 30 day trial, you can use my number 4277. Be ready to change your life!!
Carla Stevens

United States

#11 May 8, 2008
I have to honesty say , you are way off base here saying the things you are saying. If it didn't work for you , fine , don't slander others because it didn't work for you. Many like myself are liking it if not , loving it and being nasty just makes YOU look bad , not the ones you are intending to make look bad. This forum is about helping others save money , offering advice and ways to do so, not for trashing one name to make another look better. We are all struggling together in this economy and standing together to supprt and help one another is more appropriate and more effective . Not to mention it shows way more class. Like I said , what works for one may not work for others , but that is fine. It is about finding ways to help feed our families. Not looking for oppertunities to talk trash. By the way , no one says you HAVE to talk friends into joining , it is a nice perk though. I get excited about spending $131.00 and saving $192.00 in one shopping trip! I have the receipt to prove it. It is worth spending the $20.00 a month just for that! I have told a few people who I am close to about what I am saving, I didn't "have to do it", and when they seen how much I was savings , they joined to. Savings Angel gives me $110.00 a month just because I told a few people about my savings. Big deal. Everyone shops and now days everyone wants to save money and this is an easy way to do it an make some. So on top of that $192.00 saved last month I made $110.00 for doing nothing except buy groceries and items I already bought before. No one makes you do that and believe me , this is way far from a pyramid scheme. Did you save that much in one shopping trip and get money for nothing? Be careful to slander others before you know the real facts.

(Quote)
"I tried Savings Angel and hated it at $20 a month, and then you have to try and **** your friends and family into a pyramid scheme that is making some guy named Josh a millionare!!! And the TV and Radio stations are in on it with him, as he is paying big advertising dollars HMMMM!!!!! Use your brains - common sense!!!!"
Carla Stevens

United States

#12 May 8, 2008
By the way , I am from Fruitport , not Hamilton? lol I see there are others on the WZZM forums tonight that are from Hamilton too? lol

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#13 May 8, 2008
I don't care to try either of those. I don't have the extra money for the fees. I shop Aldi and Save-A-Lot, hardly ever Meijer's or Family Fare. There are also very good food items at the Dollar Tree dollar store, as well as paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, etc, etc.

Guess I have my own plan. No monthly fees.:)
Anna

Grand Haven, MI

#14 May 8, 2008
Yay Savings Angel and Yay Josh. The bottom line is ending hunger in West Michigan and beyond. We are blessed to be able to share our great deals with others who are in a tight spot finanically. I am personally blessed by the community at Savings Angel. My monthly fee enables me to get savings for my family but also enables me to donate on a very regular basis to food pantries and individuals that I know who are in great need. I am proud to call Josh my brother in Christ. He felt the call and answered. 1 Peter 4:12-16

Location hidden

#15 May 8, 2008
Yes, by being a member of my fav site I have also been able to donate.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was looking down on savings angel... it is a blessing for some, but for me it was hard. I wanted to stop at all of the stores for just a few items. It is SO HARD to say no to a good deal. I made a deal with my husband to shop at only 2 stores each month. So, because I was more comfortable with the GG site, that is why I chose that over SA. I had a hard time understanding the SA format, but by looking at the news, they have changed the layout quite a bit. I can't say that I won't try it again, I do like to keep checking once in awhile.

My husband laughed when I came home from a trip to Indiana where I visited a Kroger with double coupons up to 50c. I had 155 boxes of scalloped and mashed potato mixes 3 weeks before Thanksgiving. I had gotten them all for free. I took all but 10 down to LOVE Inc and the ladies in the donation area were absolutely loving the fact that ALL of their Thanksgiving care pakages would have potatoes in them.

I haven't paid for toothbrushes, toothpaste, or mouthwash in 2 years. My lists tell me when to get them for free. I usually drop 2-5 tubes in the bin at church each month depending on how many coupon inserts I was able to get.

Another absolutely FREE site is www.hotcouponworld.com - just click on the store you shop at. These are member sponsored posts, but the moderators try really hard to get you the deals. Just remember Meijer's doubles coupons in most areas outside of the GR metro area so be prepared that their final cost may be less than we actually pay here. Kalamazoo area Meijer stores double all coupons with a value up to 50c (max of 2 identical coupons).
Kate

Hudsonville, MI

#16 May 9, 2008
I have been using SavingsAngel since last year. It has changed our lives for the better. We are working hard to pay off debt this year and this program has helped so much. The community board is amazing!! These people all feel like family. For anyone that is debating whether or not to join I would definitely go for it. You don't have anything to lose...you can try it out for 2 weeks completely free. You will be amazed how much it can change your future and your families lives for the better.
Kate
Brenda

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 May 9, 2008
I also am a member of savings angel - I looked at grocerygame and hotcouponworld, but decided to go with Savings Angel because of the community.. I found more deals with SA than are advertised on the other sites. I also liked that it is based in West Michigan. At first it was a bit confusing to use because I had not used coupons at all, but now that I know what I am doing, I love it. The $20 that I pay every month is more than paid for in the savings that I see every month! I am not talking about savings on items that I would not normally purchase, but savings on Milk, Sugar, bread (yes there are coupons out there for these items!) Savings Angel has changed the way I shop!
Carla Stevens

United States

#18 May 9, 2008
I figure there are alot worse things to spend $20.00 on in a month.( That is $4.00 a week )

My hubby spends more than $25.00 a WEEK in cigarettes! That is over $100.00 a month!

$20.00 for food savings versus $100.00 in smokes?
More like "saving money" versus "burning money".:) If he quit, I would have even more money saved each month. Still working on that one! lol

“Hmmm ... ”

Since: Mar 08

Fremont

#19 May 9, 2008
concerned wrote:
how can you join without a credit card? I don't own a credit card, only a checking account (no debit card either).
Maybe I'm living in the olden days,but I just don't like those cards.
Any suggestions?
I don't think you are going to be able to joing without a credit card number, You can buy one time use visa/mastercard's from walmart for like 3 bucks that will work the same. You can buy them in different increment, such as 30, 50 100 and up. You can only spend what on the card. I think their called green dot cards or something

Since: May 08

Battle Creek, MI

#20 May 9, 2008
I looked at both sites, and really wasn't impressed by either, it said in the story that you could sign up free on both at SA you could but at the other it cost $1. its not worth my giving my Credir Card for $1.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 15 hr WMNewsfan 3,125
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Fri Jan Muizelaar 1,195
Woman charged with raping dog Dec 5 Oracle 1
Quote of the Day (Feb '08) Nov 29 Kelly Joanne Cannon 485
News 'Okay to be White' signs popping up in Grand Haven Nov 27 Sad Bastard 4
boycott alabama now (Dec '08) Nov 26 Sattva Virginius 291
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) Nov 21 District 1 400

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages