After motorcycle crashes, a look at safety on bikes

A motorcycle crash Saturday night took the life of a man who lost control of his bike. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
TommyO

United States

#1 May 26, 2008
Death machines. How are these things legal but pot isn't? I'm not advocating legalizing pot, just pointing out the disparity between something that is illegal which doesn't cause as many deaths as something which is legal. Those bikes drive up insurance costs, both health and property. I lump those things in the same pile as bungee jumping, mountain climbing, and "extreme" sports - if you want to do it you get zero (none, nothing, zippo) from the common insurance pools. You pay for it yourself or die without care. You did it on purpose knowing the massively high risks, so its a gambled suicide.
Fun to ride

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 May 26, 2008
Maybe Hartwell and the Grand Rapids Çity Council members can pass a resolution saying how bad motorcycle riding is to a persons health. They need a new cause, it has been a while since we have heard from them on important social and societal issues.
Trish

United States

#3 May 26, 2008
WRONG,,THERE ARE MORE CAR ACCIDENTS THEN,CYCLES,,SO it is there choice to ride ,,PEOPLE JUST NEED TO BE AWARE,,and ride careful,,THEY KNOW THE RISK,,
Hugh Jass

Fennville, MI

#4 May 26, 2008
Motorcycles should be banned from the streets.
mark

Ithaca, MI

#5 May 26, 2008
of course there are more accidents there are more bikes on the road. gas prices will continue to rise bike accidents will conitnue to rise. so when you're in your car put down the cell phone and look twice.
Mike

Kalamazoo, MI

#6 May 26, 2008
They are saying how motorcycle accidents are up 91 percent but they have not said how many more bikes are on the road now. Im betting that overall bike ownership has double in the past 10 years. The other problem is the idiotic kids are buying crotch rockets because they are cool right now. These morons are starting out with 600cc or 750cc race tuned bikes. Thats like taking drivers training in a new corvette and expecting there to be no crashes or other incidents.
old_timer

Syracuse, NY

#7 May 26, 2008
Hugh Jass wrote:
Motorcycles should be banned from the streets.
And you should be banned from forums moron. Bikes have every bit of right on the road as you. nough said oln that.
old_timer

Syracuse, NY

#8 May 26, 2008
mark wrote:
of course there are more accidents there are more bikes on the road. gas prices will continue to rise bike accidents will conitnue to rise. so when you're in your car put down the cell phone and look twice.
You tell em mark, and eat their happy meals inside instead of when they're driving. lol
old_timer

Syracuse, NY

#9 May 26, 2008
This is what really cracks me up, when a person is involved in an accident with a bike whats the first responce out of that drivers mouth "I DIDN'T SEE EM" I was with my son n law when he was standing at a stop light (not inteneded to bash women drivers in any way)and a lady hit him in the rear, her statement to the police was, I was looking over there, as she pointed 90 degrees away from the intersection. So it goes to show you people aren't paying any attention to bike and I know we were both able to be heard over her CELL PHONE. lord knows where her mind was but it surely wasn't on her driving.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#10 May 26, 2008
old_timer wrote:
This is what really cracks me up, when a person is involved in an accident with a bike whats the first responce out of that drivers mouth "I DIDN'T SEE EM" I was with my son n law when he was standing at a stop light (not inteneded to bash women drivers in any way)and a lady hit him in the rear, her statement to the police was, I was looking over there, as she pointed 90 degrees away from the intersection. So it goes to show you people aren't paying any attention to bike and I know we were both able to be heard over her CELL PHONE. lord knows where her mind was but it surely wasn't on her driving.
I got rear ended one time when the driver expected me to make a rolling stop rather than a full stop at a stop sign. Luckily, she was going real slow and all it did was give my bike acceleration beyond it's normal capabilities.
Allen

Granbury, TX

#11 May 26, 2008
Motorcycles have every right to be on the road...WE motorcycles riders have to watch out for other other guy,if the people who drive cars etc,would pay more attension to what they are doing,it would help...bikes are harder to see.I ride a motorcycle and always will....

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#12 May 26, 2008
Allen wrote:
Motorcycles have every right to be on the road...WE motorcycles riders have to watch out for other other guy,if the people who drive cars etc,would pay more attension to what they are doing,it would help...bikes are harder to see.I ride a motorcycle and always will....
If you want to survive on a motorcycle, ride as if you have a target on your back. I came to the conclusion (after over 70K miles of riding) that some drivers are out to kill you or just plain don't care.
old_timer

Syracuse, NY

#13 May 26, 2008
we'll always have people like Hug Jass make his comments such as he did. Some years back AAA make a comment that bikers are more proficient drivers because they're more alert as to their surrounding whether on a bike or in a car and I can see thier point, your always watching ahead and all around, you absolutely have too. I'd like to get all these ney sayers on the bitc*pad and let them see what ti's like to be out on the highways and then take them for a ride during rush hour, I think thatmight enlighten them and make them realize we are out there, one good ride through rush hour traffic would drive my point across unless they're braindead.
Dr Lost

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 May 26, 2008
You site that motorcycle crashes are up 91%, responsible reporting would have included the coresponding increase motorcycle ownership.
A well researched report on motorcycle safety also would have included a discussion about graduated licensing programs for motorcyclists much like we have for new young automobile drivers. More information about such programs is here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/pedbim...
I do appreciate your mention of Motorcycle Training programs such as the MSF course. These programs DO save lives by teaching new riders the skills needed to avoid crashes and are grossly under utilized by the majority of the riding public.
I think most crashes and related injuries are the result of too much bike, not enough experience, poor riding safety gear and poor judgement. Hanging around any import motorcycle dealership and chatting with the staff would have revealed most of this information.
There are some pretty good statics here:
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm...
Thanks for raising awareness that motorcycles are on the road.
A reponsible sport bike rider.
michael g

Madison, WI

#15 May 26, 2008
Allen wrote:
Yeah, I KNOW I never see anyone on a motorcycle do anything stupid. Yeah, right.
Broke in Michigan

Lansing, MI

#16 May 27, 2008
This is off subject a little. Due to high gas prices, we are coming into a time when there will be more motorcycles AND bicycles on the road. Drivers AND riders need to be more aware of this new change and change their perspectives to match. I would like to get out on the road with my bike...scared to death. I do believe that alot of the new sales of motorcycles and bikes don't have the skill lessons doing along with them to help the riders survive in road conditions.
old_timer

Syracuse, NY

#17 May 27, 2008
Broke in Michigan wrote:
This is off subject a little. Due to high gas prices, we are coming into a time when there will be more motorcycles AND bicycles on the road. Drivers AND riders need to be more aware of this new change and change their perspectives to match. I would like to get out on the road with my bike...scared to death. I do believe that alot of the new sales of motorcycles and bikes don't have the skill lessons doing along with them to help the riders survive in road conditions.
I have to admit that is going to be a big problem in todays day and age you don't just jump on a motorcycle without proper training and skill and this will come to a shock to a lot of people. there are plenty of classes going on around the state that will help people learn but it's my guess that all will be filled to capacity by now, and others will say, I'm not paying anyone to learn to ride motorcyle. thos will be the ones you read about in the near future. and lately you see more and more people on bicycles getting hit, here again it reflects back to people in cars not paying attention to their driving.
Just Stunned

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 May 27, 2008
Take the MSF class, and if your even a someone who rides a bike and doesn't feel they need to take it, just take it for a refresh because that class teaches you how to be alert and be smart on a bike.

Since: May 08

Lansing

#19 May 27, 2008
TommyO said "Those bikes drive up insurance costs, both health and property. I lump those things in the same pile as bungee jumping, mountain climbing, and "extreme" sports - if you want to do it you get zero (none, nothing, zippo) from the common insurance pools. You pay for it yourself or die without care. You did it on purpose knowing the massively high risks, so its a gambled suicide."

TommyO, you are uneducated (shocker). We motorcyclists pay into a separate injury pool. And that pool is paid for by all motorcyclists who pay insurance. Because I ride a motorcycle does NOT in any way raise your car insurance. However, when some jerk decides he "didnt see me" because he is driving with his head up his butt, lets take away his ability to EVER get insurance and/or a vehicle again. Why do so many stupid people (yes, you) want to tell me what i can and cannot do when I have never told you that you shouldnt operate a boat, atv, orv, riding lawn mower, suv, car, truck, etc? People just need to pull their heads out of their butts and drive.

Since: May 08

Lansing

#20 May 27, 2008
And I will predict that when a study is released stating the percentage of motorcyclists involved in crashes, it will be well below 40% that were at fault in their crashes. I think that we need to add motorcyle safety courses to general drivers education. I also think that the current requirements to get a license need to be changed, for instance, a person under 18 must go through the graduated licensing program which is a good program. If a person is 18, they don't have to take any drivers education at all. Just take a written and driving and bam! you get a license. Even if you are 50 and are getting a license for the first time, you should be required to take a drivers training class (waiving the driving with a licensed adult part) adn motorcycle safety shoudl be included (not how to ride, but how to watch for 2 wheeled vehicles).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Holder is stepping down 1 hr Kathy 8
Pen pals wanted! Would you like to be my pen pal? 1 hr Kathy 5
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 6 hr Go Blue Forever 1,396
Bengazi is back 14 hr Oneal 153
One dead, another injured, in Montcalm Co. shoo... (Jun '08) 15 hr shutthefuckup 676
Benghazi Cash Grab! 20 hr Gville Jim 17
Obama Silent On 21 hr Gville Jim 3

Grand Rapids Jobs

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]