Meijer's unionized Michigan employees OK new labor contract

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

GRAND RAPIDS - Members of a union representing nearly 27,000 employees at Meijer's 92 Michigan stores have ratified a new contract with the retailer.
Comments
21 - 40 of 57 Comments Last updated Jul 31, 2013
Wide_Stance

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Taxpayer wrote:
Unions are not the powerhouse they used to be - now, they just bill for the union dues and hold a few meetings in which nothing is accomplished. Customer service at Meijer will always be bad. These people, and anyone else working low-wage retail or fast food, is miserable and usually uneducated. Low literacy is a huge problem for this portion of the working class. I still have to count back change everywhere I go, because I know that most who work in these jobs, including the so-called "managers" cannot perform basic math calculations. It will only get worse. GRPS test scores are horrid. Most don't graduate. They find work in the retail sector and live off federal programs after they work twenty hours a week.(And they complain even about this!)
Relax, you're so uptight. You don't have to keep your bum cheeks squeezed together like that.
mr x

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2008

I work in a meijer in hamilton ohio and its great but the union sucks like a fish on a stick. we need to get rid of our damm union at meijer mr bush is right when he saids that unions drive down wages and hours. But the people who i work with are great and we need more people like them to work with. The bosses are great but the unions suck all they do is steal money out of your pay check every week and pocket the money for them self and don.t fight for the workers like they should. aND AFTER NINTEY DAYS THEY FORCE YOU TO JOIN THE DAMM UNION WHILE IT SHOULD BE THE WORKERS CHOICE WATHER OR NOT TO JOIN THEUNION. And the people who arent unionied at meijer are the greeters pharmcey labs and other workers who probley should be unionied the people are unionied are cashiers baggers grocey people and people like that. and yes i have seen people fired for not working not treating the shoppers right. ect ect.
Brian

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

If you are in a NON-UNION, an employeer can fire you for no reason. If you have a Union they will back you up. You will have a voice in a union. My brother works for a newspaper in Sterling Heights, and they havent received a pay raise in 3 years. They might get a pay raise in 3 years. If they had a union than they could get that raise.

Yes there are some things I dont like about Unions, but having one is a good thing..Look into it and chew on that..
Old Rocker

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Being the devil's advocate here.

Why don't we all put the shoe on the other foot and look at things from the business owners perspective.
Good "At will" non-union companies (the key word being good) do not just fire people willy nilly. There is usually a very good reason a person is terminated. Poor attendance, tardiness, imcompetance, poor performance etc. A "Good" company will always tell the person why they are being terminated. It's usually the ones being fired that complain that it was for no reason. Maybe there really is a reason. Maybe they should look in the mirror. It costs companies lots of money to go through the hiring and training process. Once a "good" company hires good people, they want to keep them. Employees need to realize that they are not entitled to any job. They have to actually perform it at the required level. That's what they are paid to do. If you truely get fired from a company for no reason, and there are some "Bad" companies out there, then you probably don't want to work there anyway.

As far as raises. Yes we all need more money as the prices of everything rises. But are we "entitled" to raises every year? Prices rise for the companies operation costs also. Many companies cannot afford to give automatic raises or they could go out of business. "Good" companies want to retain all their employees and do what they can to accomplish that. "Bad" companies don't care.

Again, I'm not looking for arguments here. I am simply trying to present the view from the other side.
RANDY

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

When you hired on at Meijer you hired on a job that requires you to treat ALL customers with respect regaurdless of the hassle they create for you. It's called customer service!

If you are as educated as you claim then you would understand this very basic rule of the "service industry."

I'm skeptical of your claims.
Offended wrote:
<quoted text>
I unfortunately work at Meijer and take offense to your comments that we are uneducated and live off Federal Programs.
I have a degree and 8+ years working for the big three in a white collar position. I lost my job due to cut backs and as we all know Michigan is just bursting at the seams with high paying jobs right now. I swallowed my pride and took this job so that I would have some form of income while I continue to look for a job where I can use the skills and knowledge that I have acquired over the years.
Also, not everyone one in the State of Michigan qualifies for government assistance...if you're single, not a minority or a foreigner and have no dependents, it does not matter how long you have paid into the system, you are out of luck! I happen to be one of the many that have basically been told what I can go do to myself because the State and Federal governments are not helping me out!
As for nasty customer service, I as well as other employees, put up with nasty customers on a daily basis. I try to be just as pleasant as possible, but I know that it is not always possible. So the next time you complain about customer service, think about all the crap that person has put up with from customers all day long! And, not only do we have to put up with crap from customers, it is no picnic working for Meijer! The way they treat their employees is dehumanizing!
So yes, I take great offense to your comments!
jobs

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

RANDY wrote:
When you hired on at Meijer you hired on a job that requires you to treat ALL customers with respect regaurdless of the hassle they create for you. It's called customer service!
If you are as educated as you claim then you would understand this very basic rule of the "service industry."
I'm skeptical of your claims.
<quoted text>
Even if they hire Mexicans in the Holland store to work their,Cant speak English and we the workers have to try and tell them their jobs,But they act like we are nuts! Way to go Meijers! Meijers just plains sucks,they over work their workers and hire cheap help,I think that stinks when a perosn works in America and cant or wont speak English,Fred Meijers and sons should be real proud of whom they are hiring these days.
DreD

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

I agree with every negative statement made. Sadly, I service 15 Meijer stores and the staff and management are the worst I have ever encountered. I have been in retail for over 20 years and have seen it all. Then Union employees step in and show me something I never would have imagined. Managers dont care and those horrible employees are just there to collect a check. They know they are protected and they take advantage of it. I have stopped shopping at Meijer all together, and thats quite a feat considering I am in 10 stores a day.
-dd
tadpole

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2008

Judged:

the union at Meijer means almost nothing.if there is a contract but it's not enforced why have it?
Ian

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

Personally, I love unions, and have yet to hear a single convincing argument against them. They are a hallmark of all great first world nations, and put greater disposable income into the pockets of working/middle-class people (and thus often greatly improve local economies), as well as give them the power of collective bargaining. I am not a union member currently, but that doesn't mean I don't care about the standard of living for my fellow Countrymen....I say MORE unions, if anything, since they raise the standard of living for a greater number of people, vs. just the microscopic ownership class (on which one can NEVER sustain an economy by rewarding them alone).
lisa

Park Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

I work at a Meijer in illinois and cashiers like myself get paid very low wages. After working over three years as a full-time team member I earn $9.50 an hour. I work very hard and am commited but wish I got paid more. Maybe we should have a union
Crazygirrl 22

Wyandotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

Patrick in Alger Heights wrote:
I can't stand unions. People need to just be happy if they have a job in today's society. Good jobs are hard enough to come by. I will NEVER work for a unionized company.
Unions can have the power to impede a company's ability to compete and thrive. A firm might be in desperate trouble, yet its unions may be unwilling to bend or compromise in order to help the company survive. Many employers find themselves left very inflexible when they have union contracts to abide by.
oh are you a person trying to scam the store all day by trying to get a msa on items not mark or item with clearence prices, i know maybe you the one trying to return the a item with a completely different barcode on it ... too be they aren't fair and let theif and scammer get away with shit .....i am friends with someone who works up there she always gets out depressed on how much of asshole... she said customers would talk badly about her(and she super nice) down right in front of the managers just to try and get away with somethin I see it when I go and play some lotto it ain't nice
Crazygirrl 22

Wyandotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

jobs wrote:
<quoted text> Even if they hire Mexicans in the Holland store to work their,Cant speak English and we the workers have to try and tell them their jobs,But they act like we are nuts! Way to go Meijers! Meijers just plains sucks,they over work their workers and hire cheap help,I think that stinks when a perosn works in America and cant or wont speak English,Fred Meijers and sons should be real proud of whom they are hiring these days.
actually you worng and right... they have to be nice and try to help the customer the best they can but when but like everywhere(don't no how people can be so stupid) there are rules. If there
are rules and they are not allowed to break especially for scammer and theif who treat they like scum when( hey if you don't have respect to take stuff thats not yours why would you have respect not to put down and degrade)only the manager is allowed to make acception. sorry we can't help you theif but remember in the olden days they use to kill you fucking assholes just because they don't kill you to stop stealing them doesn't mean they are going to bow down sux you cock and do everything you say
Crazygirrl 22

Wyandotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

are complete idiot and don't know there are rules to EVerything not just meijer moronic theifs go back to but hole and live there scum
yeppers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2009

I've worked part-time at Meijer in Ohio for 6.5 years, 5.5 as a cashier, and am just now at 10.00/hr, so I think you're doing alright.
lisa wrote:
I work at a Meijer in illinois and cashiers like myself get paid very low wages. After working over three years as a full-time team member I earn $9.50 an hour. I work very hard and am commited but wish I got paid more. Maybe we should have a union
James

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

"offended" You rock!!!!! I could not have said it better myself.
GR Paul

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Arctic49519 wrote:
<quoted text>
If they don't like the wages/treatment, they also have another benefit of living in a free country--- their federally protected rights.
They have the right to organize for mutual benefit and protection, and the right to enter into a contract after successfully organizing.
This is often the only option when businesses of an entire geographic area or certain industrial sector are uniformly underpaying workers. Workers may not have the option of finding a place that offers fair compensation, so the other option is to organize---strength in numbers. This is one of the necessary check/balances to keep businesses from exploiting labor.
Ok, but doesn't that business have a "federally protected right" also to fire all of them for organizing a union when they made it clear beforehand that they were not a union shop?

If the place you are working for is "exploiting" you, then quit.

"But I cant or I'll have no money!!!!"

Then stay.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

GR Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, but doesn't that business have a "federally protected right" also to fire all of them for organizing a union when they made it clear beforehand that they were not a union shop?
If the place you are working for is "exploiting" you, then quit.
"But I cant or I'll have no money!!!!"
Then stay.
They can't technically "fire" them for organizing a union in and of itself, but they can refuse to negotiate with the unionized workers. It doesn't matter if an employer declares a place a "non-union" shop. The employer has no say in whether or not the workers choose to exercise their rights to organize. The employer can however refuse to deal with the union and bring in replacement workers, but it is an all or none situation. They have to replace everyone or negotiate with the union. Most employers cannot survive replacing every worker at once. Strength in numbers.

“So what!!”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeview, Mi.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Patrick in Alger Heights wrote:
I can't stand unions. People need to just be happy if they have a job in today's society. Good jobs are hard enough to come by. I will NEVER work for a unionized company.
Unions can have the power to impede a company's ability to compete and thrive. A firm might be in desperate trouble, yet its unions may be unwilling to bend or compromise in order to help the company survive. Many employers find themselves left very inflexible when they have union contracts to abide by.
People need to just be happy if they have a job in today's society.
That's exactly how the company wants you to feel as the wheels get their grease and you get none of the pie.

Good jobs are hard enough to come by.
You're right they are. Why, because the CEO's shipped jobs out of the USA for more profit. You see how that idea worked out now didn'y ya?

Unions can have the power to impede a company's ability to compete and thrive. A firm might be in desperate trouble, yet its unions may be unwilling to bend or compromise in order to help the company survive.

Guess you don't follow the news...like how the UAW workers gave up tremendous wage and bennies..

Many employers find themselves left very inflexible when they have union contracts to abide by.
Actually you should say a Union stops or puts in check a companies ability to screw employees. You're right...you never will work for a Unionized company cause Unions don't employe people, Unions represent people. Get over the fact you have a non Union low paying job.

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Taxpayer wrote:
Unions are not the powerhouse they used to be - now, they just bill for the union dues and hold a few meetings in which nothing is accomplished. Customer service at Meijer will always be bad. These people, and anyone else working low-wage retail or fast food, is miserable and usually uneducated. Low literacy is a huge problem for this portion of the working class. I still have to count back change everywhere I go, because I know that most who work in these jobs, including the so-called "managers" cannot perform basic math calculations. It will only get worse. GRPS test scores are horrid. Most don't graduate. They find work in the retail sector and live off federal programs after they work twenty hours a week.(And they complain even about this!)
Don't have any friends do ya...

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Arctic49519 wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't technically "fire" them for organizing a union in and of itself, but they can refuse to negotiate with the unionized workers. It doesn't matter if an employer declares a place a "non-union" shop. The employer has no say in whether or not the workers choose to exercise their rights to organize. The employer can however refuse to deal with the union and bring in replacement workers, but it is an all or none situation. They have to replace everyone or negotiate with the union. Most employers cannot survive replacing every worker at once. Strength in numbers.
Some people just don't understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search