Meijer's unionized Michigan employees OK new labor contract

GRAND RAPIDS - Members of a union representing nearly 27,000 employees at Meijer's 92 Michigan stores have ratified a new contract with the retailer. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jamerican28

Lansing, MI

#1 Oct 13, 2007
I wonder if Wal-mart will ever be forced to unionize in Michigan? It seems that Meijer is at a competitive disadvantage to them due to this.
hello kitteh

Kalamazoo, MI

#2 Oct 13, 2007
so does this mean that meijer stores will have decent customer service now? that place makes me madder than any other.

Since: Aug 07

Canton, OH

#3 Oct 13, 2007
I can't stand unions. People need to just be happy if they have a job in today's society. Good jobs are hard enough to come by. I will NEVER work for a unionized company.

Unions can have the power to impede a company's ability to compete and thrive. A firm might be in desperate trouble, yet its unions may be unwilling to bend or compromise in order to help the company survive. Many employers find themselves left very inflexible when they have union contracts to abide by.
John M

Rockford, MI

#4 Oct 14, 2007
I have worked in retail for 23 yrs now and I will tel you being unionized truly hurts Meijers as a competitive company. I worked for Meijers for a year and literally had employess that treated their customers in such a way that any non union retailer would have fired them on the spot yet these people still hold their jobs. It is a shame that unions protect their workers even at the expense of the company. You walk in any Meijers and deal with the customer service issue and you will see exactly what I mean.
meee

Holland, MI

#5 Oct 14, 2007
meijer sucks
Scott Young

Cannonsburg, MI

#7 Nov 12, 2007
Unions force companies into actually paying employers a decent wage. I worked for Meijer, and I received such UNION benefits as a decent wage, fair hours based on seniority, and....yes, I saw employees fired for poor customer service! UNIONS cannot protect employees that are proven incompetent! Funny, every anti-union person has never belonged to one!

Since: Oct 07

United States

#8 Nov 12, 2007
Scott Young wrote:
Unions force companies into actually paying employers a decent wage. I worked for Meijer, and I received such UNION benefits as a decent wage, fair hours based on seniority, and....yes, I saw employees fired for poor customer service! UNIONS cannot protect employees that are proven incompetent! Funny, every anti-union person has never belonged to one!
Nope, never been in a union. It's called pride and work ethic, look into it.
Xene

Syracuse, NY

#9 Dec 3, 2007
An optimistic attitude and strong work ethic may get you a 'good' Walmart job, and you may be even rewarded with pay raises! But Walmart puts pressure on its managers to keep costs down.

"A 2004 study found that over half of Wal-Mart workers earned under $9 per hour, while other large retailers pay $14 on average. As a result, the families of Wal-Mart employees are more likely than other retail workers to need food stamps and other public assistance programs."

Lazy welfare-sucking scum! If their hard work doesn't produce enough money to live on, they should move into a cardboard box and eat dirt. And then, since they are rolling in resources, they could all become entrepreneurs! Walmart gave this lady, for example, a great opportunity!

"Former Wal-Mart cashier Dana Mailloux, 33, worked for eight years at a store in Fort Myers, Fla., moving up to $9.15 an hour. In fall of 2002, her manager called her and more than a dozen other longtime employees into his office and told them he had to lay them off because of lack of work. That same day, Ms. Mailloux says, she passed a room with six new hires, red vests in hand, filling out paperwork. Returning to the store that weekend, she says, she saw newly advertised positions listed on a bulletin board. "Basically, I was thrown out like a piece of trash," says Ms. Mailloux."

She's probably a millionaire today. Right?
Get Real

Holland, MI

#10 Dec 3, 2007
This is not complicated folks. Unions push for better pay and more time off, businesses push for more productivity.......The 2 don't work together.

Unions are the thing of the past. If a business wants good employees, and to hold on to them, they will pay a wage that keeps them. Continuous training of new employees cuts down on production and therefore costs money.

If folks don't like the wage, they need to go somewhere else, that is the benefit (and liability) of living in a free Country.
Batch 37 Pain is Good

Barnesville, OH

#11 Dec 3, 2007
Get Real wrote:
This is not complicated folks. Unions push for better pay and more time off, businesses push for more productivity.......The 2 don't work together.
Unions are the thing of the past. If a business wants good employees, and to hold on to them, they will pay a wage that keeps them. Continuous training of new employees cuts down on production and therefore costs money.
If folks don't like the wage, they need to go somewhere else, that is the benefit (and liability) of living in a free Country.
Exactly!
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Dec 3, 2007
Unions are not the powerhouse they used to be - now, they just bill for the union dues and hold a few meetings in which nothing is accomplished. Customer service at Meijer will always be bad. These people, and anyone else working low-wage retail or fast food, is miserable and usually uneducated. Low literacy is a huge problem for this portion of the working class. I still have to count back change everywhere I go, because I know that most who work in these jobs, including the so-called "managers" cannot perform basic math calculations. It will only get worse. GRPS test scores are horrid. Most don't graduate. They find work in the retail sector and live off federal programs after they work twenty hours a week.(And they complain even about this!)
Maria

Holland, MI

#13 Dec 3, 2007
Get Real wrote:
agree also.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14 Dec 3, 2007
Get Real wrote:
If they don't like the wages/treatment, they also have another benefit of living in a free country--- their federally protected rights.
They have the right to organize for mutual benefit and protection, and the right to enter into a contract after successfully organizing.
This is often the only option when businesses of an entire geographic area or certain industrial sector are uniformly underpaying workers. Workers may not have the option of finding a place that offers fair compensation, so the other option is to organize---strength in numbers. This is one of the necessary check/balances to keep businesses from exploiting labor.
Batch 37 Pain is Good

Barnesville, OH

#15 Dec 3, 2007
Arctic49519 wrote:
<quoted text>
If they don't like the wages/treatment, they also have another benefit of living in a free country--- their federally protected rights.
They have the right to organize for mutual benefit and protection, and the right to enter into a contract after successfully organizing.
This is often the only option when businesses of an entire geographic area or certain industrial sector are uniformly underpaying workers. Workers may not have the option of finding a place that offers fair compensation, so the other option is to organize---strength in numbers. This is one of the necessary check/balances to keep businesses from exploiting labor.
Yep, working out at the 36th St. GM plant. Did they not have a contract for job security?
Get Real

Holland, MI

#16 Dec 3, 2007
Actic,

I think your first senctence there says a lot. You seem to confuse wages with treatment.

Of course if people are treated poorly they should do what is needed to keep that from happening. Also, not all unions are in an area where corporations have a monopoly.

When unions gain ground, higher wages more time off, it's not the businesses that suffer, its the consumer.

Businesses are taught to survive, which is a good thing, if they didn't no one would have a job, however wages and time off, as well as higher taxes and such are passed through to the consumer. I may just consider the cost of unions in the products and services I buy bad treatment.
Dave

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 18, 2007
meee wrote:
meijer sucks
I agree
Meijer is a bad place to work, the hours are horrible and they treat their employees like crap. They need to be unionized to protect their workers as much as I hate unions.
Bob

United States

#18 Dec 18, 2007
Get Real wrote:
THANK-YOU , THANK-YOU I am so glad to hear this from someone else other than myself.
dianne very

Louisville, KY

#19 Jan 9, 2008
if you have no voice do you think these greed hungry companies will share get real
James

United States

#20 Jan 9, 2008
Excuse me folks but you have this all wrong.

As a capitalist, I love the fact that if I employ union workers I know exactly what my costs/overhead will be over the life of the bargaining agreement. I could care less how the economy treats you, price of gas rises, not my problem, price of housing raises, not my problem, price of food increases, suck it up and deal with it. With a bargaining agreement in place you can't ask for a raise, without one you make a pest of yourself and continually ask for a pay raise because of this , that or the other. All I care about is my bottom line and how it relates to my business. If you fell that this is unfair, quit and seek better pay elsewhere,that's your right or privilege. I will always find people to replace you. Always.

As a capitalist, the reason I dislike Unions is because of the lobbying efforts they put forth to protect the rights of all workers and consumers, union or not. Do you think the 40 hour work week with time and a half after forty is because business felt a compelling affection to treat the worker better, to pay them more? Do you think OSHA, EPA, DOL and a host of other programs where conceived because of my concern for the worker, the environment or even the consumer? GET REAL... You don't even have enough sense to stop buying toys from China but yet you want Congress to give more power to those departments which I despise.

As a capitalist I hate it when some agency tells me that I have to adhere to this rule or law or that I have to buy this safety equipment or label this or that and a host of other stuff which just cuts into my profits.
If you think I am arrogant see above about what I care for and if you need an example. Think about how many super fund sites we have here in Michigan, I have made billions at these manufacturing facilities and now they are being cleaned up at the taxpayers expense. Thank You very much!!!!!
Offended

Pontiac, MI

#21 Feb 4, 2008
Taxpayer wrote:
Unions are not the powerhouse they used to be - now, they just bill for the union dues and hold a few meetings in which nothing is accomplished. Customer service at Meijer will always be bad. These people, and anyone else working low-wage retail or fast food, is miserable and usually uneducated. Low literacy is a huge problem for this portion of the working class. I still have to count back change everywhere I go, because I know that most who work in these jobs, including the so-called "managers" cannot perform basic math calculations. It will only get worse. GRPS test scores are horrid. Most don't graduate. They find work in the retail sector and live off federal programs after they work twenty hours a week.(And they complain even about this!)
I unfortunately work at Meijer and take offense to your comments that we are uneducated and live off Federal Programs.

I have a degree and 8+ years working for the big three in a white collar position. I lost my job due to cut backs and as we all know Michigan is just bursting at the seams with high paying jobs right now. I swallowed my pride and took this job so that I would have some form of income while I continue to look for a job where I can use the skills and knowledge that I have acquired over the years.

Also, not everyone one in the State of Michigan qualifies for government assistance...if you're single, not a minority or a foreigner and have no dependents, it does not matter how long you have paid into the system, you are out of luck! I happen to be one of the many that have basically been told what I can go do to myself because the State and Federal governments are not helping me out!

As for nasty customer service, I as well as other employees, put up with nasty customers on a daily basis. I try to be just as pleasant as possible, but I know that it is not always possible. So the next time you complain about customer service, think about all the crap that person has put up with from customers all day long! And, not only do we have to put up with crap from customers, it is no picnic working for Meijer! The way they treat their employees is dehumanizing!

So yes, I take great offense to your comments!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sony balony 4 hr kookierecluse 4
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 5 hr Go Blue Forever 1,479
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 8 hr DrX 54
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways 17 hr Really 18
3 reasons Grand Rapids-area Muslims want to ope... Thu tom_ 21
City of Pentecost Christmas program Thu COP OUTREACH 1
The curse of success - america Wed Idea Maker 2
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids