Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#1 Oct 22, 2009
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/21/assault.r...

Can you believe this? This lady needs to go to prison herself!
CGL

United States

#2 Oct 22, 2009
Go figure Al Sharpton would jump on the band wagon. She should have to stay in jail for all the time combined that the others spent locked up. This is so wrong.

Since: Sep 08

Muskegon

#3 Oct 22, 2009
CGL wrote:
Go figure Al Sharpton would jump on the band wagon. She should have to stay in jail for all the time combined that the others spent locked up. This is so wrong.
I am no fan of Al Sharpton. But read this article again. Many believed this woman's story, and if true, it could be prosecuted as a hate crime. All he is quoted as saying now is that we should be sure that the recanting is true before they're released. That's not particularly unreasonable.
SueT

Plainwell, MI

#4 Oct 22, 2009
CGL wrote:
You would think after the Tawana Brawley incident this idiot would have learned. The next time the good Rev. Sharpton sticks his biggoted nose into a false claim to anger the masses, he should serve time as well.

“Welcome to the Ghetto... ”

Since: Oct 08

WEST MI

#5 Oct 22, 2009
SueT wrote:
<quoted text>You would think after the Tawana Brawley incident this idiot would have learned. The next time the good Rev. Sharpton sticks his biggoted nose into a false claim to anger the masses, he should serve time as well.
He needs to jump on anything that "appears" to be racism, because he and the NAACP are slowly becoming more and more irrelevant, due to the fact that WE elected a Black President. Maybe now all these so called "Activists" can be exposed as the frauds they are now. Maybe the Media can start reporting the facts now too.
Granny Smith

Sparta, MI

#6 Oct 22, 2009
WOW! Unbelievable. I wonder what made her change her mind.

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#7 Oct 22, 2009
radell wrote:
<quoted text>
I am no fan of Al Sharpton. But read this article again. Many believed this woman's story, and if true, it could be prosecuted as a hate crime. All he is quoted as saying now is that we should be sure that the recanting is true before they're released. That's not particularly unreasonable.
I agree and believe me, I'm no Sharpton fan either. All the defendants plead guilty, she never testified at trial and no appeals have been filed. I think it's reasonable to look into it but I wouldn't turn them loose just yet.
Dan Bana

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Oct 22, 2009
abranger wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and believe me, I'm no Sharpton fan either. All the defendants plead guilty, she never testified at trial and no appeals have been filed. I think it's reasonable to look into it but I wouldn't turn them loose just yet.
Here is the problem and it is systemic in our society, no one seriously questions law enforcement anymore, even on here the cops say something and there is a whole herd of folks that are willing to roll over and have their bellies rubbed. Don't get me wrong I am not accusing the cops of anything here, they took a story and ran with it, that is their job. It is up to a jury to decide which side of a case is to be believed. The trouble is that when a bunch of cops come in and testify for the prosecution it gives the victim's story more credibility than it might otherwise deserve.

Then what happens is an attorney has to explain the realities of th situation to a client. If the client is facing 20 years and gets offered a max of 5 that looks pretty damn good even if you did not do it.

All of this is why on here I am not willing to believe ANYTHING that comes from law enforcement unless there is supporting evidence if there is a dispute between witnesses. Just because one side of the story comes from or is believed by cops does not mean jack poop to me, I want to see the evidence. That is why I wanted to see that BS Mayo warrant, the Copp warrant and want to hear what the cop has to say about that fatal shooting in Muskegon.

Hersey, Michigan

#9 Oct 22, 2009
Dan Bana wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the problem and it is systemic in our society, no one seriously questions law enforcement anymore, even on here the cops say something and there is a whole herd of folks that are willing to roll over and have their bellies rubbed. Don't get me wrong I am not accusing the cops of anything here, they took a story and ran with it, that is their job. It is up to a jury to decide which side of a case is to be believed. The trouble is that when a bunch of cops come in and testify for the prosecution it gives the victim's story more credibility than it might otherwise deserve.
Then what happens is an attorney has to explain the realities of th situation to a client. If the client is facing 20 years and gets offered a max of 5 that looks pretty damn good even if you did not do it.
All of this is why on here I am not willing to believe ANYTHING that comes from law enforcement unless there is supporting evidence if there is a dispute between witnesses. Just because one side of the story comes from or is believed by cops does not mean jack poop to me, I want to see the evidence. That is why I wanted to see that BS Mayo warrant, the Copp warrant and want to hear what the cop has to say about that fatal shooting in Muskegon.
Dan Bama aka GR Pete

Hersey, Michigan

#10 Oct 22, 2009
Correction: Dan Bana...freudian slip

“Pig-O-Riffic!”

Since: Nov 08

Lawton, MI

#11 Oct 22, 2009
Women lie like this every day. There are thousands of men in jail for crimes against women they never committed. Because of our "he said, she said" court systems, men will be convicted almost surely, whether there's real evidence or not.

Muskegon

#12 Oct 22, 2009
PiggyTail wrote:
Women lie like this every day. There are thousands of men in jail for crimes against women they never committed. Because of our "he said, she said" court systems, men will be convicted almost surely, whether there's real evidence or not.
Wow, that's a misogynistic overstatement. I think you could benefit from some therapy.

Muskegon

#13 Oct 22, 2009
Dan Bana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there usually is supporting evidence in addition to what the police say. But guilty until proven innocent when they're paid to enforce the law? That assumes the system totally doesn't work. I think that's a little overly cynical. As for the fatal shooting in Muskegon, I think the cop is suffering from retrograde amnesia, and that's why the investigation is taking so long.

“Pig-O-Riffic!”

Since: Nov 08

Lawton, MI

#14 Oct 22, 2009
radell wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that's a misogynistic overstatement. I think you could benefit from some therapy.
Have you ever met a man wrongly accused of a crime by a woman? I've met more than my share and have had to testify in court once to save a man from going to jail for a "rape" that he didn't commit. I don't hate women. I am a woman. I hate women who abuse men. Women who lie and cause men to be wrongly convicted for crimes are abusers.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#15 Oct 22, 2009
I wonder why those six men pleaded guilty?
Granny Smith

Sparta, MI

#16 Oct 22, 2009
Gville Jim wrote:
I wonder why those six men pleaded guilty?
That is a very good question, but if you watch the true life programs on tv about how the police interogate people they may have just said they did it to get the cops off there back. It happens on tv all the time. Maybe this woman is looking to get her own reality tv show and decided this is just as good a way as any. Look at the Ocu mom, the woman in California that has a total of 14 kids. Some people will do anything for a buck and a little media attention. Whatever the reason was for her doing this it was wrong and she needs to pay for what she has done to the people she accused. Their reputation is ruined now because of this and that is something that is hard to get back. Your reputation like your good credit is hard to get back once it is ruined.

“Fear causes hesitation”

Holland, MI

#17 Oct 22, 2009
radell wrote:
<quoted text>
The story also mentions that Sharpton pushed hard for hate crime charges and even the NAACP cautioned him to slow down.

If the suspects really did confess to something they didn't do, I'm sure the idea of a HATE CRIME charge being added to the list played a huge role in the false confessions.

“Fear causes hesitation”

Holland, MI

#18 Oct 22, 2009
Dan Bana wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why the race-baiter Shartpon pushing for Hate Crimes creates incentive to plead away to lesser crimes.
Thewayiseeit

Cheboygan, MI

#19 Oct 22, 2009
TheBodhiZaffa wrote:
<quoted text>
The story also mentions that Sharpton pushed hard for hate crime charges and even the NAACP cautioned him to slow down.
If the suspects really did confess to something they didn't do, I'm sure the idea of a HATE CRIME charge being added to the list played a huge role in the false confessions.
Could the six have grounds for a civil case against Sharpton? Wouldn't that be interesting! The "victim" should be tried for a hate crime!
UATW

United States

#20 Oct 22, 2009
I swear I did not have sex with that woman! Remember him? Top of the food chain too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton in a landslide in endorsements: Do they... 2 min Your Ex 63
News Holland companies receive state economic help (Nov '07) Fri District 1 9
East Grand Rapids Mugshots and Criminal Arrest ... Fri Emma 2
Local News Women (Apr '09) Thu Knapp 2,723
Crooked Hillary's Tax Return Challenge To Donald Sep 26 RushFan666 49
Does anyone know why the Chez Ami Bowling alley... (Sep '14) Sep 24 Jody 3
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Sep 24 Not ghetto at all 43

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages