One shot near E. Kentwood High

One shot near E. Kentwood High

There are 313 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Oct 23, 2008, titled One shot near E. Kentwood High. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

The Kent County Sheriff's Department has confirmed that officers are responding to a shooting near the intersection of 60th and Crestmoor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Falconm0m

Grand Rapids, MI

#84 Oct 23, 2008
EK STAFF ARE AWESOME! GO FALCONS!
Former Resident

Grand Rapids, MI

#85 Oct 23, 2008
I moved from this area because there are to many wanna be gangsters running around causing trouble, this is the second shooting in the last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see an large increase in shootings in this area.
say what

Lyons, IL

#86 Oct 23, 2008
falcons all the way wrote:
apparently prisons near by or being imobalized just in case they had anything to do with it
That doesn't even make sense!!!!!
krtnews

Crystal Lake, IL

#87 Oct 23, 2008
It's too bad that EKH doesn't have "Instant Alert", or at least it sounds like they don't. Allendale Public has this in place and it's sponcered by Herman Miller (I think). Any time something like this would happen, parents would receive an e-mail, text to cell phone, or message on the phone #'s they leave on that site. This would have cleared a lot of answers up for the poor parents that are going through this termoil.

Since: Jul 08

Greeley, CO

#88 Oct 23, 2008
Well jeez...what kind of jacket did this kid have?

“I LOVE MY KIDS AND MY MOMMY”

Since: Mar 08

Kentwood

#89 Oct 23, 2008
Dianen wrote:
Actually my kids DO have straight A's now and when report cards come out....While you are being funny acting, do you even have kids? This is a serious situation. Which if brought up correctly, you would know that it is NOT a time for sarcasm! There are people worried about their children! If you have nothing to say fact related or otherwise as a comfort measure, then you should keep your opinion as just that...NOTHING!
Um, I am witness you have great kids! Play sports and keep their grades up! Muahs= My two also have Straight A's-play sports and band...And these kids all go to church together.

So..you have no idea what you are talking about!

And before all the criticism starts..
Dana is not in a gang..His mother and father are in the home.And pretty strict actually- He has been a Kentwood student his entire life. Yep, had trouble with fighting.

He is doing OK- according to his girlfriend a few minutes ago. They were even laughing about where he was shot.

Now to find the shooters, many students believe they know who it is - so probably will be solved soon.

Since: Oct 08

Lansing, MI

#90 Oct 23, 2008
I would have to guess that the shooter was one of you people with the ignorant remarks as he was not taught any better........Do you think this conversation is going anywhere? Common sense is too easy to come by, than to go through life ignorantly....Perhaps you should all leave the ignorance behind you now?
fed-up

United States

#91 Oct 23, 2008
lame
joe

Grandville, MI

#92 Oct 23, 2008
Res wrote:
Can you say GANG related, when asked about the jacket this is a sign, Kentwood is going down hill since all the blacks started to move IN!
GRPS must agree with you as they put all their schools on lockdown according to 13.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#93 Oct 23, 2008
What happened to just jumping somebody for their coat?
mother of 2

United States

#95 Oct 23, 2008
OMG what is this world coming too? I pray for the person that got shot and his family. I am also praying for the schools to be safe. Thats the way it is suppose to be. These kids are suppose to be able to go to school and be safe. And it seems like everywhere now its not like that. And kids can't even walk down the st. w/out being shot. sad...it's truly sad.
What a Crock

Kansas City, MO

#96 Oct 23, 2008
Thanks low income housing!! As a class of 2000 graduate, we never had anything like this. Now the whole area has turned into low class trash. Thanks for bringing down my property values even more!
your momma

Broomfield, CO

#97 Oct 23, 2008
EK Student wrote:
Im in school right now, and im drinking and hittin a big fat joint in the b-room. No one is going to catch me because everyone is in "Lockdown."
If you truely were an EK student you would have been dismissed 45 minutes ago. Therefore you would no longer be in lock-down. Stop being a buthead and lying about your where-a-bouts.
kenny

Denver, CO

#98 Oct 23, 2008
wow! all these conflicting stories and as a parent you are supposed to sit back and trust the school? i called my daughter's cell and she got in trouble. as a parent i would never call (in class) her unless it was an emergency and this was. i found out she was ok from a text she sent me. it was shelter in place and she was not allowed to leave the classroom. kentwood is a city and has problems like all cities do. if more parents were involved and concerned about their children, there would not be so much violence on our streets!
GR Girl

Livonia, MI

#99 Oct 23, 2008
Falconm0m wrote:
EK STAFF ARE AWESOME! GO FALCONS!
Ahh, now this is a pep rally...w t f?
uqw

AOL

#100 Oct 23, 2008
hi
whoa

United States

#101 Oct 23, 2008
Are you Serious wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you even from the area. That area is not full of gangs. It happens to be pretty nice over there. Im sick of everyone thinking that Kentwood is crawling with gangs.
Uh - hello. It IS full of gangs. Where have you been? Gangs does not mean dirty, and trashy. Wake up!!!
GRPS STUDENT

United States

#102 Oct 23, 2008
I am a student at Central high and as soon as the "code yellow" came down my cell phone was flooded with text messages and rumors everyone was unsure what had happened and I found out that Union was locked down too, but everyone kind of brushed it off and the day went on we stayed in our class rooms for two class periods and that was that and then they let us out and then tried to rush us out of the building. so everyone knew something was up but that was all for Central, we were all safe.

Greeley, CO

#103 Oct 23, 2008
kenny wrote:
wow! all these conflicting stories and as a parent you are supposed to sit back and trust the school? i called my daughter's cell and she got in trouble. as a parent i would never call (in class) her unless it was an emergency and this was. i found out she was ok from a text she sent me. it was shelter in place and she was not allowed to leave the classroom. kentwood is a city and has problems like all cities do. if more parents were involved and concerned about their children, there would not be so much violence on our streets!
I agree

“Be Respectful”

Grand Rapids

#104 Oct 23, 2008
This was a serious situation, and when a shooting is involved and a school is mentioned, everyone panics about their children's safety. There were so many conflicting reports about what was going on that I'm not surprised people were confused as to whether it was a lockdown or a shelter in place.

I hope the boy that got shot will be okay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) 10 hr bonds77 396
Local News Women (Apr '09) Mon NewsFan13 2,905
Poll What about Obama's wife? (Aug '10) May 20 Horrific 378
Sonic's GR History? (Sep '09) May 12 Cdoxie 15
News The cold, hard facts about seven winter driving... (Nov '14) May 10 then thaw Floods ... 2
The Geek Group May 10 Redrider87 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) May 9 Wyoming Bob 1,174

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages